Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Motorcycle and Buechner » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Motorcycle and Buechner
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Steve H
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 04-14-2002

Motorcycle and Buechner Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just spent a lazy Saturday reading Buechner's "Alphabet of Grace". It was amazing to see how many phrases, thoughts and ideas Terry used in Motorcycle. Reading this book has made one of my favorite cd's come alive. (or maybe, having listened to Motorcycle made the book more enjoyable!)

Listed below are all the phrases in the book that reminded me of Motorcycle:

"…the angel who troubles the waters…" p 10
"…the holy dream becoming the holy face." p 11
"…Beneath the face…the people I have ever been are buried there…" p 15
"…My dear dead dear…" p 18
"…the world is ours to name…" p 26
"…The night absolves. Darkness wipes the slate clean…" p 30
"…my face is my farthest-flung frontier…" p 33
"…you read among other things your doom in your face, the failures, estrangements, betrayals and self-betrayals." p 41
"…Come unto me, I hear…" p 48
"…a congenital believer, a helpless hungerer…" p 50
"…would-be believer." p 54
"…cry from the hallway of Christ is risen…" p 55
"…or a hand I could touch…in the dark." p 58
"…to kick to pieces such a world." p 59
"…This day is our last day and our first day and our only day…" p 76
"…the air we breathe…" p 86
"…blisters in the glass…" p 91
"…a lump in the throat…the bush going up in flames…the dove coming down out of the sky." p 92
"…an incantation of longing." p 96
"…blood…of martyrs…" p 97
"…the holy dream became a holy face." p 99
"…he lives and moves and has such being…" p 103
"…some kind of hole in the world…" p 112
"…This is your first and last and only day." p 120
"…My legs are broken." p 120
"…The door is…open…place set at the table." p 130
"…Is it true, my dear dead dear?…If there’s anywhere to be now, you must be there. If there’s anything to know now wherever you are, then you must know it." p 140

Read the book and hear the cd!
04-19-2003 17:52 Steve H is offline Send an Email to Steve H Search for Posts by Steve H Add Steve H to your Buddy List
anne
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

motorcycle was the first DA cd i ever bought.
i was very intrigued by the lyrics,
so when i noticed a reference to some guy named "buechner" in the liner notes,
i went out and bought a copy of the alphabet of grace.

...it was so exactly what i needed to hear at that point in my life (if ya know what i mean), i couldn't believe it.

so motorcycle & the alphabet of grace are near and dear to my heart Smile

04-19-2003 18:08 anne is offline Send an Email to anne Homepage of anne Search for Posts by anne Add anne to your Buddy List
Steve H
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 04-14-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by Steve H
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Motorcycle contains some really great theology, deep thinking and a desire to see the holy in the everyday humdrum of life.

"My Frontier" is especially steeped in Buechner's Alphabet of Grace as well as "Hole in the World" and "What's Come Over Me".
04-20-2003 13:42 Steve H is offline Send an Email to Steve H Search for Posts by Steve H Add Steve H to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by anne

motorcycle was the first DA cd i ever bought.
i was very intrigued by the lyrics,
so when i noticed a reference to some guy named "buechner" in the liner notes,
i went out and bought a copy of the alphabet of grace.

...it was so exactly what i needed to hear at that point in my life (if ya know what i mean), i couldn't believe it.

so motorcycle & the alphabet of grace are near and dear to my heart Smile

at the church we go to they quote buechner a lot, whiich made me think that this may be the church for me! Big Grin
Then I found out that he is a presbterian minister!
which really makes me think I found the right church! Tongue

funny how that works eh??

04-21-2003 14:07 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
at the church we go to they quote buechner a lot, whiich made me think that this may be the church for me! Big Grin
Then I found out that he is a presbterian minister!
which really makes me think I found the right church! Tongue

funny how that works eh??

i wish i could find the right church.... Crying

Cool
04-21-2003 14:14 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Ubique Epoque

since most churches seem to suck, I know that it's a hard task. took Patti & I about ten years of looking! Frown

04-21-2003 14:18 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

yeah, i had one in cali that i liked.... but the one's here are either really old-fashioned, or if they try to be "modern", they are the kind where people wear those silly wwjd shirts and have a coffee stand and call it Jehovah's java or something ridiculous like that.... Roll Eyes
yesterday, i went to an Anglican church with my son and my girlfriend and her kids.... i prefer the old-fashioned to the cheezefest, but i'd like to find someplace i feel "at home....." Crying

Cool
04-21-2003 14:21 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by joey
yesterday, i went to an Anglican church with my son and my girlfriend and her kids.... i prefer the old-fashioned to the cheezefest, but i'd like to find someplace i feel "at home....." Crying

I like old-fashioned too. church should not be "hip." Tongue

04-21-2003 14:25 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

quote:
quote:

I like old-fashioned too. church should not be "hip." Tongue

at least not c*rm*n style hip.... i don't need any fresh-squeezed Jesus juice or Jehovah's java at church...... Roll Eyes

Cool
04-21-2003 14:41 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Ubique Epoque

I really like the traditions.

good times! Smile )

04-21-2003 14:45 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Skippy the Wonder Dog
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 02-11-2003

quote:
at least not c*rm*n style hip.... i don't need any fresh-squeezed Jesus juice or Jehovah's java at church...... Roll Eyes

I was thinking of having a Saturday night strip-club service called Jehovah Jiraytions. How would THAT float your boat?

04-21-2003 14:47 Skippy the Wonder Dog is offline Send an Email to Skippy the Wonder Dog Homepage of Skippy the Wonder Dog Search for Posts by Skippy the Wonder Dog Add Skippy the Wonder Dog to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked v

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
04-21-2003 14:49 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

its only fitting........... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

this disco
used to be a cute cathedral
where the chosen cha cha
every day of the year....

(there only playin the stuff you're wantin to hear)

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
04-21-2003 15:24 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

quote:
Originally posted by Skippy the Wonder Dog
quote:

I was thinking of having a Saturday night strip-club service called Jehovah Jiraytions. How would THAT float your boat?

well, there is a club on the sunset strip in hollywood called the 7th veil.... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Cool
04-21-2003 15:51 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!

I like hip churches...............most of the women in my church are hippy.................and not the 70's kind.............

my evil Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

No, but seriously now, I think that any church can find that fine line between old and new........and work things out to make it a precious blend of tradition and fresh inspiration. (keepin' it fresh.........like the Prince)

Hey, that would be a good name for a TV show - the Fresh Prince Smile Smile

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

04-21-2003 16:07 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

AND JUST HOW WOULD YOU KNOW THAT, JOEEEEEE Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

well, there is a club on the sunset strip in hollywood called the 7th veil.... Shocked Shocked Shocked

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

04-21-2003 16:08 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

7th veil.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

there was a guy who was running for a CA senate position a few years ago who was accused of going there....
he said he just went in for a cocktail....
one problem, they don't serve alcohol in those types of places......... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Cool
04-21-2003 16:22 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:

we need to be ALL things to ALL men!

Do you they play "The Big Guns??" Smile

04-21-2003 20:43 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

quote:
quote:
quote:

we need to be ALL things to ALL men!

Do you they play "The Big Guns??" Smile

to answer my earlier post, i think i found the church i was looking for.... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Cool
04-21-2003 20:53 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Ubique Epoque

Tongue LOL! Tongue

04-22-2003 18:57 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Motorcycle and Buechner

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH