Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » MBD Demos - Finally! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page MBD Demos - Finally!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
uvulapie uvulapie is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 09-09-2003

MBD Demos - Finally! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Over five years ago two other blokes and I won the auction for Terry's demo tapes for MBD. I had received permission from them to share a couple of the tracks with the world at large.

Then I got married, changed jobs, bought a house and had a baby (well, my wife did). This weekend while I was in the process of ripping my giant CD collection (available here - http://bpluschords.tripod.com/cd2.htm) to MP3s, a task my wife called, and I quote, "Retarded", I decided that maybe it was time to catalog what was on these tapes and finally share them with the world.

Of the many demos the winner was Easy For You. This was because it was on the tapes twice and included parts there did not make it into the final song. These songs are available on the DADL Files section under the folder TST Demos. If the Townsends want to host a copy of them on this site please feel free.

Thanks to the other two auction winners for allowing me to share this songwriting gem with DA fans and thanks especially to Terry for his amazing songs.

Jasoooooon
01-18-2009 21:33 uvulapie is offline Send an Email to uvulapie Homepage of uvulapie Search for Posts by uvulapie Add uvulapie to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of uvulapie: uvulapie
UnderDawg UnderDawg is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-624.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

RE: MBD Demos - Finally! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey, I notice that you listed L.E.O.s "Alpacas Orgling" with a rating of 9. Good call. I really enjoyed this album and even though it was a tribute, I think it stands on it's own as an enjoyable listen.

You didn't give the Guster album a rating, though. How high would you have rated it?
01-19-2009 09:28 UnderDawg is offline Search for Posts by UnderDawg Add UnderDawg to your Buddy List
Mind Peach

Thread Starter Thread Started by uvulapie
Guster Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

No rating means either it's a promo disc sent to me to review that I listened to once or twice and didn't care for enough to review it (meaning it would probably rate really low) or I haven't had a chance to listen to it but plan to. The Guster is in the second category - got it from eMusic along with lots of other "free" albums and I just haven't had the chance to fully digest it yet. I like it, though. It reminds me of the more acoustic Moxy Fruvous. Somewhere I have a Guster (I think) Hannukah album that is pretty funny.

I take it you like Guster?
01-19-2009 14:26 uvulapie is offline Send an Email to uvulapie Homepage of uvulapie Search for Posts by uvulapie Add uvulapie to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of uvulapie: uvulapie
Ceremonial Kernel

RE: Guster Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This is the only Guster album I own. I'd like to hear more, but so far, I haven't.

It fulfills my one real expectation in a record....lots of melody. If you can't hum it, it don't cut mustard with me. I like Wilco A LOT, but I haven't heard "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" (I think...) yet. Some have called it experimental noise. And that scares me off a bit.
01-19-2009 17:03 UnderDawg is offline Search for Posts by UnderDawg Add UnderDawg to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

YHF is their masterpiece in my opinion... not a bad song on the disc. Definitely worth hearing. There is a lot of noise.. but its fitting musically. Its not just there for the heck of it.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
01-19-2009 17:13 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The noise is probably the strong influence of Jim O'Rourke, but even around the noise the songs on YHF are great. My personal favorite is probably the most straightforward, being "Pot Kettle Black". While not as great, I think Sky Blue Sky was a really strong album too. A Ghost Is Born? Not so much so.
01-19-2009 17:46 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ceremonial Kernel

Oh yeah...on "Sky Blue Sky", the song "Impossible Germany" is a killer. Whatta guitar solo!
01-19-2009 17:48 UnderDawg is offline Search for Posts by UnderDawg Add UnderDawg to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

"muster" not "mustard".

Sorry. It's a pet peeve.
01-20-2009 08:55 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

RE: Guster Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by uvulapie
No rating means either it's a promo disc sent to me to review that I listened to once or twice and didn't care for enough to review it (meaning it would probably rate really low) or I haven't had a chance to listen to it but plan to. The Guster is in the second category - got it from eMusic along with lots of other "free" albums and I just haven't had the chance to fully digest it yet. I like it, though. It reminds me of the more acoustic Moxy Fruvous. Somewhere I have a Guster (I think) Hannukah album that is pretty funny.

I take it you like Guster?

someone know Moxy Fruvous?

01-20-2009 09:22 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

"Ghost Is Born" has some good songs, but I always felt like the album was unfinished.

01-20-2009 09:32 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Unfinished is a good word for it. Without something to unify everything, it comes off as weird for weird's sake. What in the world does, "Holy s***, I've got a company in my back" mean anyway?
01-20-2009 09:41 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ceremonial Kernel

You know, you're right, the saying IS "don't cut muster". I guess I've been saying it wrong for years.

But it don't cut mustard, either....
01-20-2009 17:35 UnderDawg is offline Search for Posts by UnderDawg Add UnderDawg to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Hey, now, better to cut the mustard than to cut the cheese.

Yes! Fart Joke! I am BACK!
01-20-2009 17:45 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

YHF is by far their best album.
"Summerteeth" would fill the #2 slot I think.

I am quite fond of "A Ghost is Born" as well. very good.

01-20-2009 18:17 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Yes, Summerteeth is another good one. It definitely melts the custard.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
01-20-2009 18:53 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Okay, okay...I'm look at YHF.

Yeesh, you guys are worse than my ex-wife. And she DID cut the mustard!
01-20-2009 20:34 UnderDawg is offline Search for Posts by UnderDawg Add UnderDawg to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

I just cut the cheese... oh wait...

that was already said.

01-20-2009 20:45 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
grandeped grandeped is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 05-01-2008

Sorry to sound like a Noob... (more like a lurker that needs to pay more attention) but where is this DADL section? Is that a subscription type area, or am I just missing the glaringly obvious?
01-21-2009 13:49 grandeped is offline Homepage of grandeped Search for Posts by grandeped Add grandeped to your Buddy List
Mind Peach

Thread Starter Thread Started by uvulapie
DADL Section Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The DADL is a YahooGroup, different from the DAMB but with many of the same folks. It's easy to join, is free, and requires no mustard.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/dadl/
01-21-2009 14:06 uvulapie is offline Send an Email to uvulapie Homepage of uvulapie Search for Posts by uvulapie Add uvulapie to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of uvulapie: uvulapie
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Yeah and depending on what you post on the DaDL you might get arrow pelted like Custer.

01-21-2009 15:13 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » MBD Demos - Finally!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH