Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » R.I.P. Larry Norman » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (6): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page R.I.P. Larry Norman
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The Shotgun Angel tour idea has been around for probably a year or so.. I think all of the fellas would love to do it, but - like everything else - it will cost a fortune to ever make it happen. It would be more reasonable to consider a single show (or two) - but even then, we're talking a good amount of cash to fund it.

Its one of those ideas that floats around but struggles to get off the ground. If any concert promoter out there has a good budget behind them and would be interested in something like this.. send us a note. Happy

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
04-21-2008 18:22 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

do the words
"Been there- done that"
ring a bell???

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
04-21-2008 18:53 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
RoxxRegime
Unsullied Affiche

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2008

quote:
It would be more reasonable to consider a single show (or two) - but even then, we're talking a good amount of cash to fund it.

Any chance of a single show.....that's recorded and released on CD?
Happy
04-21-2008 21:54 RoxxRegime is offline Search for Posts by RoxxRegime Add RoxxRegime to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
do the words
"Been there- done that"
ring a bell???

Really? You had the cash?

What we were told back then was there just wasn't enough to bring everyone in, give them a weeks rehearsal and make it worth it to everyone to take off from work, be away from families, etc.

Someone comes along every now and then wanting to make something like this happen.. but, it usually gets stalled during the fund raising. Plenty of desire, so little cash.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
04-21-2008 22:35 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by RoxxRegime
quote:
It would be more reasonable to consider a single show (or two) - but even then, we're talking a good amount of cash to fund it.

Any chance of a single show.....that's recorded and released on CD?
Happy

If it were to ever happen - it would definitely be recorded and/or filmed. However, at this point, the chances of it happening are pretty slim.. it just takes someone with a big budget (or maybe a big festival or whatever) to come in and make it happen. Unless the band can find some really creative way to work it out.

04-21-2008 22:39 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

quote:
Originally posted by audiori

If it were to ever happen - it would definitely be recorded and/or filmed. However, at this point, the chances of it happening are pretty slim.. it just takes someone with a big budget (or maybe a big festival or whatever) to come in and make it happen. Unless the band can find some really creative way to work it out.

Everyone here needs to buy a lotto ticket - won of them has to win! Big Grin

04-21-2008 23:39 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

I'd pay for the band to come to NZ and do a concert if I won the lottery.....

Hey Andrew, we have one third NZ'ers in the members online at present...must be a record!

www.smashthatcomputer.com
04-21-2008 23:46 wayneb is offline Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
do the words
"Been there- done that"
ring a bell???

Really? You had the cash?

What we were told back then was there just wasn't enough to bring everyone in, give them a weeks rehearsal and make it worth it to everyone to take off from work, be away from families, etc.

Someone comes along every now and then wanting to make something like this happen.. but, it usually gets stalled during the fund raising. Plenty of desire, so little cash.

let's not go down this road.

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

04-22-2008 04:55 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...............
Cool
Hey - Ita a great Idea. Someone (else) should spearhead the possibility.

04-22-2008 07:55 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

quote:
Originally posted by larryl

let's not go down this road.

I know Alex and Ed talked about the Shotgun Angel tour or show. Ed also wanted to do a House Of Blues DA show in LA. When that last big push to do a DA show was made, Terry told Mike and us at Cornerstone that he didn't believe it would happen because there wasn't going to be enough money to fly the band out to where he was for a week to rehearse and then actually do the show. He said, "Do you know what it would take to get that band together?" Thats the scary secret road. Terry was pessimistic and didn't see it ever materializing, he had no hope in it.

The problem is its a bigger deal than it sounds. Job schedules alligning, and the band has not exactly played together in years. They would need time to rehearse all the songs they would play live. So its not just fly out for a day or two and do a show and fly home. Terry would want a week or two. He didn't foresee it happening at the time and it would take a lot to convince him that it was real, like the money up front.

Thats what would need to be organized, sort of how the solo shows and Dogs shows have been booked, but way bigger. Even the 77s tour is kind of similar, only difference is they have been working on material and live close enough with thier own studio to be able to rehearse, so they don't need the extra rehearsal funding.

But in the case of DA, its not that Terry or the band wouldn't want to do a show, its that the view is that it would be a monumental task that would take some serious funding before it even started. Otherwise Terry will see it as a pipe dream, and not a reality.

04-22-2008 08:10 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

i'll just say that perhaps terry should have communicated that better at the time.

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

04-22-2008 08:25 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

I agree on both counts.
the boys dont want to rehearse for just a day- and I dont think we would want to hear that.- and well - its clearer now.

I also feel that logistically with each passing year it becomes less likely. Less than two years ago the idea peeked..and would be an even tuffer row to hoe now.

SO perhaps this R.I.P thread should be renamed????

or at least- SHARPEN YOUR SKATES!

back on topic....I know more about Old Scratch since his passing-both personally and musically.
Jesus loves him- and so do I.
He was a maverick in so many ways- and really cant be overrated.

04-22-2008 10:44 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Well, often you don't want to convey negativity to discourage people from trying to get something done even if inside you feel it probably isn't going to happen. That pretty much how we felt when we were working with Larry Norman to get a contract negotiated for Horrendous Disc. We talked to him in good faith, as if there could be a miracle happen, we didnt hold our breath for it. But you never know, Larry could of been in a good mood or something.

Often there are a lot of obsticles in these things, and often you have two feelings, a realistic one and a hopeful one. Terry tends to stay in the realistic one, being as their career has had more than its fair share of let downs. Things don't work out more often than they do. So the expectations are low, just like ours were when we were talking to Larry. But, you never know.

Even now, if someone wanted to bankroll a DA record or a show, it could happen, but it wouldn't be easy. But sometimes stuff happens like the Darn Floor reissue, that happened after years of failed plans to get it in print. Everyone is thankful it will be, but its not like anyone wants to let their hopes get high until it really, really looks like its happening.

04-22-2008 11:47 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

on a separate but perhaps related note:

I wonder if Terry has attended churches that build "debt-free" or if they have big capital campaigns first and take out loans?

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
04-22-2008 11:55 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

well - I know what you mean aj.
I was being a bit pessemistic.
(cuz I emulate Terry when ever I can Big Grin )

I think I speak for a constituencey (hope its not THAT small) who would travel to wherever (Cali I would think - or even Nashville ) and see a One time pull out the stops show-
It woudl need someone witha bankroll to persuade the boys

- or a pledged fund (actual) that could entice.
I beleive that was started as an idea..at least once-

THe bankroll ideas wouldl work quicker-so Powerball players unite Cool

(i guess...) Wink

04-22-2008 12:03 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
on a separate but perhaps related note:

I wonder if Terry has attended churches that build "debt-free" or if they have big capital campaigns first and take out loans?

Well, our church did just that. It took years, but it was debt free built. The Midget was basically the same concept, pay and pay until there is money to 'build'. It was a debt free release in that sense, took a long time though.

And I know for a fact that money has been borrowed at times, and things put on credit cards. Thats always a risk, it doesn't always get paid back. My brother and I have had that experience ourselves, as have others. There are pitfalls to both ways. And both have been tried, when there wasnt a label putting up the dough (and wanting their dough back after release.)

A few times, there have even been people that put money in and didn't expect it back. Thats always an amazing miracle.

04-22-2008 14:36 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

i have to speak up here because it sounds like people may get the wrong idea. (not that anyone tried to give anyone the wrong ideaSmile

((for what it's worth, i never even heard the details from the first attempt to have a DA show in california.))

i personally haven't made a dime from a DA (or related) project in MANY years (which is fine -- that's why i have a day job.)

the money required wouldn't be something for the band members to take home, but rather to fly 3 or 4 or 5 of us to meet in one location, rent rehearsal space for a week, provide somewhere to sleep, pay for meals, guitar strings, etc. you'd be amazed what just-the-basics cost.

the biggest problem for me is the time required. because of the kind of job i do, i've only had one consecutive week off in the last 7 years.

so it ain't gonna happen anytime soon, ... but maybe one of these days! i'd be up for it if anyone really wants to see a bunch of beat-up middle-aged guys playing old songsSmile
04-25-2008 13:00 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

whatever tim... you just need new pool furniture.... Big Grin

04-25-2008 13:08 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

larryl, jiminy, strangeanimal, anyoneelsewho'smildlyinterested --

just come on out to nashville, sit by the pool (in my beat-up pool furniture) i'll pour you a beer, i'll plug in a bass and take requests. it won't be very good (or interesting) but it doesn't cost as much.
04-25-2008 13:15 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

Lamp Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

if you get terry there too, deal! Big Grin

bobd

04-25-2008 13:30 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
Pages (6): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » R.I.P. Larry Norman

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH