Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » When Everyone Wore Hats » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page When Everyone Wore Hats
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

When Everyone Wore Hats Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have a few questions about the bookset WEWH:

1) Why an acoustic version of SOTH? Was it recorded as demo before the actual disc or way after specifically for the bookset?
2) Why were the three tracks left off?
3) Did SOTH sell so well that it warranted a second version, or was it a labor of love?
4) Do you have any other booksets that you might be considering?

I think that's it.

03-30-2008 22:11 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

There is an interview with Terry on the 3rd set of the WEWH bookset that deals with this very issues.

Terry also writes about it, in the book itself as well.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 03-31-2008 02:02.

03-31-2008 02:00 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I'm guessing Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think it was a labor of love, that it was a recording that Terry especially liked. I also recall him mentioning at Cornerstone one year that SoTH didn't sell well, maybe because there were a few old folk on the cover.

03-31-2008 08:05 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think the acoustic disc was recorded specifically for the bookset...and not demos.

I hope they are considering A LOT of other booksets!

03-31-2008 12:17 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

RE: When Everyone Wore Hats Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The other questions are pretty well covered.. (And, yes, they are in fact newly recorded versions, not demos)

For the question that wasn't answered yet..

4) Do you have any other booksets that you might be considering?

At the time, I think the management and M8 wanted like 3 or 4 booksets. There were plans to do them because M8 was willing to put up the cash (at least initially).

I believe we cut ties (for obvious reasons) with M8 before WEWH, so... that made it harder to finance the rest of the series. Now, if the Alarma set had been done completely independently, there would have been plenty of cash around for DA to do the other sets themselves (and to reissue it, possibly meeting demand. What a concept!). But... since M8 had control (grrrr) of the Alarma set.. they took most of the copies and kept most of the cash (grrrr!). (I do want to add that while they had control over that release and kept most of the cash, they had almost nothing to do with putting it together.. aside from adding a few typos to the text that was originally correct. Thanks most likely to M8's computer spell-checker.).

At one time, there was an idea to do a set about the first two albums and include a disc of early demos. That pretty much turned into the 30th anniversary release of the first album. I don't think the plans for the other sets had ever really come together...

They're cool to do, but soooo expensive.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-31-2008 18:52 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

I for one will buy any more booksets that are issued.

03-31-2008 19:08 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Mind Peach

same here...I'd buy anything reissued with bonus material...

04-01-2008 11:37 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

RE: I'm guessing Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
I also recall him mentioning at Cornerstone one year that SoTH didn't sell well, maybe because there were a few old folk on the cover.

I have to admit I took a pass on it the first time around, because of the cover. Shocked

Silly me! Roll Eyes

04-01-2008 16:57 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

While I can appreciate the concept, I do think the cover of SoTH almost certainly hindered sales. Heck, I was a fan of the band and I nearly passed over it at the bookstore. Thank God for my laser-sharp eyesight and keen Spidey Sense.
04-01-2008 18:34 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

If you are a fan of DA, you'd probably buy the CD regardless of the cover. It's all the other folks who probably didn't care for the cover. They missed out.

04-01-2008 18:39 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

No. I was a (and am a huge DA fan) but I looked at the CD cover and saw songs with titles like "My Hand to God" and "Donna Nietche and Her Super Race of Kick Boxing Über Parrots"
and I thought, "What has happened to my band?" and walked away shaking my head.

I never claimed to be smart. Tongue

04-01-2008 20:42 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich

When has an Uncle Terry release not been worth owning? Wink

04-01-2008 21:02 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

I remember finding it in my local christian bookstore and laughing hysterically like a madman at the cover, then snatching up both copies they had and ran to the counter drooling and wooping before running down the street.

Ok I didn't really run down the street, but the rest is pretty accurate.

04-01-2008 21:05 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by jyroflux
quote:

Exactly! You should have been with me in the store!

I did the same thing with BibeLand. Shocked (Too "Youth-groupie" I thought! Shocked Shocked )

04-01-2008 21:10 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
I remember finding it in my local christian bookstore and laughing hysterically like a madman at the cover, then snatching up both copies they had and ran to the counter drooling and wooping before running down the street.

That should have been me! Pleased

04-01-2008 21:11 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
me-is-e me-is-e is a male
Esculent Eskimo

images/avatars/avatar-288.jpg

Registration Date: 09-08-2008

Glad to have found this thread. Answering most of my questions about WEWH-an album I'm really hoping to get soon if possible.

One more question, what exactly is a 'bookset'? Or, better yet, what is the packaging like? Just curious as I'm a bit of a unique packaging junkie. Thanks. Cool

me-is-e
12-05-2008 08:17 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

quote:
quote:

sacred cows... Frown

even that is worth hearing at least once! Tongue

Cool
12-05-2008 08:25 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Esculent Eskimo

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
quote:

sacred cows... Frown

even that is worth hearing at least once! Tongue

Yeah, I made it through twice-Couldn't go much farther. Roll Eyes

Others I can't stop listening to now! Wink

me-is-e
12-05-2008 08:31 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
Mind Peach

Well...it's a 2 CD set with the first disc being the original Songs Of The Heart and the second disc being deconstructed acoustic versions, fully capable of standing on their own. It's rounded out by a few extra bonus tracks and an interview...

The packaging is a soft cover book that contains all lyrics, credits, and Terry's own story of the album's fictional characters.
As far as all around packaging goes, you should love it.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by colorblind: 12-05-2008 10:08.

12-05-2008 10:08 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
Esculent Eskimo

Sounds good to me! Now I just need to sell some things on ebay so I can buy! Cool

me-is-e
12-05-2008 10:35 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » When Everyone Wore Hats

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH