Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » best of the DA new-wave era » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page best of the DA new-wave era
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

best of the DA new-wave era Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm awaiting my iAlama! Chronicles bookset...(grrr!)...so I haven't heard much from this era (with the exception of what's on Personal Favourite Hits).
What's the best of the 'new wave' era...the whole power synth, drum machine, 80's reverb and windblown thing???
Thanks.

03-28-2008 13:24 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

RE: best of the DA new-wave era Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hi colorblind, where are you from in Canada, thanks for blowing a fresh breeze of DA talk back in here!

As far as I'm concerned, anything from Doppelganger along with William Blake and Sanctuary from Vox Humana are my favourites.

03-28-2008 13:27 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Mind Peach

Thread Starter Thread Started by colorblind
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I love "Sanctuary"..., and can't wait to hear the rest of Vox Humana.
I've only heard "Mall (All Over The World)" from Doppelganger...and for some reason I seem to think I heard someone say that that song isn't exactly representative of the whole album...but they might've been referring to the subject matter. I like the sound of the song...along with "The Pool". "Darn Floor/Big Bite" sounds fairly sharp and angular too.
I've been on an 80's throwback kick lately (Fine China, The Foxglove Hunt, Junior Boys, ect)...so I can't wait to hear DA's output back then.

I live in Saskatchewan...the middle of Canada...farms...fields...cold...snow...eh???

03-28-2008 13:45 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Subject wise, I think Mall fits Doppelganger, but musically I guess not.

I live in Ontario, there only seem to be a couple of us, I was going to say west of Alberta, but now I'll say west of Saskatchewan!

Moby's doing a whole throwback 80's dance/house album, if that's your thing, I'm certainly thinking of getting it, at least for my wife, if not me!

03-28-2008 13:51 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

cb-

nextime ya got a map handy (when its convienent)- look down and to the left, I'll wave atcha from Superior WI.
We be on the lil tip of the big arrowhead ya know.

anyway - heres my scathing synopsis

ialarma! = talking heads and or Elvis costello
doppleganger = more like talking heads (maybe-but probably not)
Vox = synth driven 80s sound (hard to peg..but more harmonies n texture
FS = Depeche Mode and or TFF..maybe- but not really

everyone will call me a deaf liar..but tthats OK - I can go ..HUH?.

you have a MAJOR musical treat in store for you-its the most forceful collective series by DA- or really most any other band.
Other artists "ended up" having a trilogy or more of great stuff...
DA intended to stab it from the onset.
a tall order very well filled.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-28-2008 15:08 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy

hmmmmm....i always thought it was more like a bowie influence. Smile

03-28-2008 15:51 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

"Mall" fits thematically and musically into Doppelganger very well, but I admit it is not musically typical of the rest of the songs. By the way, if you listen to them straight through, you're in for a treat when Alarma! ends and Doppelganger starts. "Hollow Man" was the song that first hooked me on Daniel Amos.

My other random thought is that Fearful Symmetry is as highly produced as Alarma! is stripped down. And I love them both.
03-28-2008 16:20 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

I would say that "Mall" is as representative of Doppelganger as any of its other songs, but that's only because no one song is even remotely similar to another on that album (although the album as a whole hangs together of a piece). This truly is a unique record, which is probably why so many of us have such a difficult time trying to describe it. It's very dark, aggressive, edgy, angular, philisophical, cerebral, biscuit-like, full of penguins, and hardly ever late for breakfast. It does have the distinction of featuring the auspicious debut of Tim Chandler and his jaw-dropping bass magic, and also the temporary swansong of Jerry Chamberlain's Les Paul crunch. Talking Heads, yes. Bowie, yes. Cheap Trick, yes. Yes, no.

Doppelganger is, IMHO, the best of the Chronicles. Hope that helps.
03-28-2008 19:35 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Brown
"Mall" fits thematically and musically into Doppelganger very well, but I admit it is not musically typical of the rest of the songs. By the way, if you listen to them straight through, you're in for a treat when Alarma! ends and Doppelganger starts. "Hollow Man" was the song that first hooked me on Daniel Amos.

My other random thought is that Fearful Symmetry is as highly produced as Alarma! is stripped down. And I love them both.

Oh yeah, Hollow Man too, that is great!

03-28-2008 19:55 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by wes berlin
quote:
Originally posted by jiminy

hmmmmm....i always thought it was more like a bowie influence. Smile

I can see that! Pleased

03-28-2008 23:40 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
I would say that "Mall" is as representative of Doppelganger as any of its other songs, but that's only because no one song is even remotely similar to another on that album (although the album as a whole hangs together of a piece). This truly is a unique record, which is probably why so many of us have such a difficult time trying to describe it. It's very dark, aggressive, edgy, angular, philisophical, cerebral, biscuit-like, full of penguins, and hardly ever late for breakfast. It does have the distinction of featuring the auspicious debut of Tim Chandler and his jaw-dropping bass magic, and also the temporary swansong of Jerry Chamberlain's Les Paul crunch. Talking Heads, yes. Bowie, yes. Cheap Trick, yes. Yes, no.

Very well put. Pleased

It's a weird and strange little dark record! Cool

03-28-2008 23:41 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
manskow manskow is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 01-23-2008

80's Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

To my mind, The Alarma Chronicles is the perfect summary (fearful symmetry?) of the sound of the eighties. And not - as often was the case in Christian music - by a band bent on rehashing influences; although they may be heard as DA were part of the zeitgeist just as Costello, Bowie, Byrne and others were.

What sets The Chronicles apart from all but a few records from this era is the fact that Daniel Amos were able to move beyond the sound, beyond the style, beyond the subject matter and write and record a cycle of songs that, as does the best work of Dylan or The Beatles, rises above the limitations of its time. It does sound as if it was recorded in the eighties, but not in a way that can be easily dismissed today. This is particularly true of the first two installments. Vox Humana and Fearful Symmetry both sound a bit more dated, but this is more than made up for by the quality of the songs.

As a sixteen-year old I was completely floored when I first heard Doppelganger (which was my introduction to the Chronicles). Sixteen-year olds are easily floored. I have had several unpleasant experiences when hearing or seeing or reading again what constituted life changing experiences when I was younger. The Alarma Chronicles are not merely as relevant to the forty-year old as they were to the teenager, they are more relevant.

I would not hesitate to range this cycle of songs up there with the best of The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd and David Bowie. It is a shameful statement about our culture that it is not mentioned alongside Abbey Road, Blonde On Blonde, The Wall and Ziggy Stardust. But it is also a strong statement about the integrity of the people behind it that they refused to move towards the middle musically to appeace the Christian music industry, or that they refused to move towards the middle philosophically to appeace the secular music industry.

I consider myself blessed to have had this music in my life as a young man, and that I can now enjoy it again as an adult.

God bless you all - and God bless Daniel Amos, the Eddies and the Dogs.

Fred
03-29-2008 08:48 manskow is offline Search for Posts by manskow Add manskow to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Thumb Up! RE: 80's Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by manskow
I would not hesitate to range this cycle of songs up there with the best of The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd and David Bowie. It is a shameful statement about our culture that it is not mentioned alongside Abbey Road, Blonde On Blonde, The Wall and Ziggy Stardust. But it is also a strong statement about the integrity of the people behind it that they refused to move towards the middle musically to appeace the Christian music industry, or that they refused to move towards the middle philosophically to appeace the secular music industry.

Cool

03-29-2008 08:55 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

RE: 80's Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
The Alarma Chronicles are not merely as relevant to the forty-year old as they were to the teenager, they are more relevant...

I consider myself blessed to have had this music in my life as a young man, and that I can now enjoy it again as an adult.

Amen.
03-29-2008 11:20 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

RE: 80's Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
quote:
The Alarma Chronicles are not merely as relevant to the forty-year old as they were to the teenager, they are more relevant...

Amen.

Make that a double! Pleased

03-29-2008 19:16 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Mind Peach

Thanks Manskow for the post. Very insightful.

03-30-2008 02:07 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

RE: best of the DA new-wave era Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by colorblind
I'm awaiting my iAlama! Chronicles bookset...(grrr!)...so I haven't heard much from this era (with the exception of what's on Personal Favourite Hits).
What's the best of the 'new wave' era...the whole power synth, drum machine, 80's reverb and windblown thing???
Thanks.

So you bought this on Ebay? Shocked

I think I saw at least part of that auction. Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 03-30-2008 03:56.

03-30-2008 03:55 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Mind Peach

No...
I bought the iAlarma! Chronicles bookset on amazon.
The listed price was $299...but I talked the guy down to $160!!!

03-30-2008 08:55 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

$160???

Look, I'm not going to say it's not worth it because I obviously think it is but... Let's just say that I try to get in on the ground floor of these things. I can't afford the price of fandom!

As for the new wave years, understand that I was around when these things originally came out and while there was a few pretty good things out there, there was little Christian rock that truly felt contemporary, and the ones that sounded right for the times often paid penance by espousing bumper sticker theology and feel good, God the (rich) Father promissory notes.

That was one of the more refreshing things about DA then and now. They never promised smooth sailing. "Come to the garden, come to the hill, come to the tree, come to the kill... Won't break your bones but it could break your will" and "Should the moon burn red, stars leave the sky, remember your sanctuary". God is the loving Father and comforter, but no one rides for free on this earth and no one's copycatting the Walks On Water move, so remember your life jacket.

And as I have said many times, the band seldom could be accused of trying to look like their secular counterparts. They were equal to them. It's a big distinction to make, being of the generation versus being just a step behind trying to duplicate, as many, many artists of that period are guilty of.
03-30-2008 21:04 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ubique Epoque

I bought my copy for $30.00 at a time when it was out of print from the webstore. Big Grin

I should have bought the other two copies for sale! Shocked

03-31-2008 02:10 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » best of the DA new-wave era

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH