Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bibleland Appreciation Thread » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Bibleland Appreciation Thread 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by James
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by tchandler
ed and i tracked that at 4 in the morning and, um,...er,... we may or may not have had a couple or three beers in us. (ok, it was jack daniels for me. there. are you happy?!)

JACK DANIELS?!!! Are you trying to burst my bubble, Mr. Chandler? Because that thin membrane's in lots of trouble after hearing that tale of debauchery.

Oh, let me guess: you were "method bass playing", right? You read the lyrics and decided to play the part, eh? Well, mission accomplished, Mr. Chandler. Mission accomplished.

Well, I guess this explains all those reckless "outside" notes in your performances. I begrudgingly admit that I still find your playing impressive, if for no other reason than your ability to always land on your musical feet Mr. Magoo style, given your drunken state.

I'll try not to let this revelation ruin my enjoyment of the DA discography. Seek help, Mr. Chandler.
03-07-2008 18:53 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

as far as the bass parts go, that's not jack talkin', that's still all meSmile believe me, it wouldn't be possible , for me at least, to play those parts if i was loaded. jack just puts a little shine on the surface.

(and please remember, i'm not berger, after all!!)
03-07-2008 19:44 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

hey tim.

here's a question fer ya: what amp do you use in the studio? i've been doing a lot of experimenting with blending amps and amp simulators.

03-07-2008 20:07 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Everyone is so serious here! Shocked

03-07-2008 20:50 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Question Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Maybe we all should shine our surfaces a little?
03-07-2008 21:53 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

I think it would help, yes.

03-07-2008 22:10 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

quote:
as far as the bass parts go, that's not jack talkin', that's still all meSmile believe me, it wouldn't be possible , for me at least, to play those parts if i was loaded. jack just puts a little shine on the surface.

(and please remember, i'm not berger, after all!!)

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery, Mr. Chandler.

(I hope you people aren't taking me seriously. Honestly, your "JD" story just makes me love the album even more, Tim. Whiskey-fueled bass playing kicks AAASSSS!!!) Tongue
03-07-2008 22:53 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Good.
You were making me nervous.

03-07-2008 22:55 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

So, the "whiskey-fueled" comment soothed your nerves?

I'll have to remember that when you get all Mountain Dewy again.
03-07-2008 23:21 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Tongue Baby Tongue

03-08-2008 07:00 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

i suppose i should've made this more clear. just in case anyone read this the wrong way (i know you're just joking, James, but someone else may be confused?...) when i said "drunken slow-gallop/swing", i didn't mean LITERALLY drunken, as in: Ed and i were, because we weren't. as i said a few posts ago, we couldn't have played it if we had been. it was 4 in the morning, jack and bud were helping out (ok Ed doesn't drink bud -- he has better taste in beer than that, but i don't remember what it was) and it just gave it that feel. that's all.

don't anyone panic. it's 14 years later (!...14 years later??! how did that happen?), i'm just fine and holding down a day job. and so is Ed. sheesh, people! Smile
03-08-2008 15:36 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

and, wes! -- in 1994, during that tracking, i was using an Ampeg half stack (4 ten inch speakers) with my old GK 400B head (that thing is now 27 yrs old! it's an antique!! I'M an antique!!!)

recently, i've used, exclusively, amp simulators. the only recording i've done has been engineered by Derri, and he's really good at getting a sound with one or more of those modules.

FWIW, (and i think i've said this before but i'm going to say it again because it's about Gene, ) Gene, as a recording engineer, really loved low end and experimented with it a lot. he gave me many different sounds over the years, but the sound he captured on bibleland is the closest to what that rig sounded like as i stood in front of it on-stage at a live gig. i miss Gene more for other reasons, just simply as a friend, but i also owe him a lot for the sound he gave me on record.
03-08-2008 16:06 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

I think that's one of the many things I miss about Gene, other than the fact that he took his music with him... The guy was a world-class engineer. On the recent reissue of Deliverance's "River Disturbance", Jimmy Brown went into how Gene miked the room and EQ'd everything upfront rather than doing a lot of artificial knob-twiddling after the fact. That impressed me a lot.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by DwDunphy: 03-08-2008 16:35.

03-08-2008 16:35 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

quote:
and, wes! -- in 1994, during that tracking, i was using an Ampeg half stack (4 ten inch speakers) with my old GK 400B head (that thing is now 27 yrs old! it's an antique!! I'M an antique!!!)

recently, i've used, exclusively, amp simulators. the only recording i've done has been engineered by Derri, and he's really good at getting a sound with one or more of those modules.

FWIW, (and i think i've said this before but i'm going to say it again because it's about Gene, ) Gene, as a recording engineer, really loved low end and experimented with it a lot. he gave me many different sounds over the years, but the sound he captured on bibleland is the closest to what that rig sounded like as i stood in front of it on-stage at a live gig. i miss Gene more for other reasons, just simply as a friend, but i also owe him a lot for the sound he gave me on record.

that's what i thought but i figured i'd ask anyway. i think you and i talked about such things years ago at cornerstone.

when you coming back to monrovia for a visit? Smile

03-08-2008 17:31 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

quote:
i suppose i should've made this more clear. just in case anyone read this the wrong way (i know you're just joking, James, but someone else may be confused?...) when i said "drunken slow-gallop/swing", i didn't mean LITERALLY drunken, as in: Ed and i were, because we weren't. as i said a few posts ago, we couldn't have played it if we had been. it was 4 in the morning, jack and bud were helping out (ok Ed doesn't drink bud -- he has better taste in beer than that, but i don't remember what it was) and it just gave it that feel. that's all.

don't anyone panic. it's 14 years later (!...14 years later??! how did that happen?), i'm just fine and holding down a day job. and so is Ed. sheesh, people! Smile

I don't think anyone got the wrong idea, Tim. I thought the sarcasm and humor in my post was apparent, but I guess you've probably dealt with a lot of people who really are that ridiculously judgemental (emphasis on the "mental") over the years, being in the "Christian music" business. I was just trying to have a lil' fun. It's kind of a drag that you would even have to worry about clarifying such things, but I completely understand. I was in a band in the late 90's that was signed to one of the "major" Christian record labels, so I've seen the whackiness first hand. Heck, anyone who's gone to church has, for that matter...

I suddenly have a hankerin' to listen to some Bibleland. Rock on, Tim!
03-08-2008 17:55 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

maybe i'll have to put it on in the car on the way to church tomorrow and crank it! Pleased Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
03-08-2008 21:22 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
James -- thanks for the kind words. it's not possible that i could've ever been a household name but thanks for the thought.

Tim, I gotta chime in and tell ya - you're the only bassist whose playing ever made me laugh out loud (and that's a good thing!). Maybe you're no Stanley Clarke technician, but for sheer creativity your performances rank right up there with Paul McCartney, Chris Squire, and anything Byrne ever told Weymouth to play.

Big Grin
03-08-2008 23:03 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

James -- i know you were just having fun. i understood that and at the same time (i probably didn't need to) i wanted to make sure that someone wasn't having their Christian faith shakenSmile we're, obviously, all in this together.

please tell me the name of the band that you were in!

and wes, i may be in monrovia sometime this summer. maybe, maybe not, but if i am, i promise to post it before i leave.

wakachiwaka -- you're putting me in company i don't deserve, but i'm glad you get the laugh!

MF -- please crank it
03-08-2008 23:57 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

and don't even get me started about what kind of monster recording/mixing engineer Gene would be right now if he were still here instead of in heaven...
03-08-2008 23:59 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Wes, you have to tell me if there is a Leroy's breakfast in the works. I'll bring the JD, Tim.
03-09-2008 02:35 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Pages (8): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bibleland Appreciation Thread

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH