Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bibleland Appreciation Thread » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Bibleland Appreciation Thread 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
Theo's Logic
The new world order vs. the kingdom of God. The unholy work, yer little gawd and the tower of Babel all rolled up into a great big cowpie with a surprise center. It's a message in tongues with no interpretation. It's religious Fahrvergnugen. We all love to say it, but what the heck does it mean? It's every "ism" mankind has ever mindlessly embraced. Yeehaw! Somebody stamp me and pass the jello salad.

Confused Thought that was "Kalhoun"...?
03-05-2008 22:19 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
Although Jerry is credited on both Bibleland and SOTH, he wasn't writing anymore, you never heard his voice and many of the guitar lines sound Fleschy...

i know he's mostly been working with his band "the pickled beats" which, i think, is a cover band.
Smile

03-05-2008 23:16 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
Theo's Logic
The new world order vs. the kingdom of God. The unholy work, yer little gawd and the tower of Babel all rolled up into a great big cowpie with a surprise center. It's a message in tongues with no interpretation. It's religious Fahrvergnugen. We all love to say it, but what the heck does it mean? It's every "ism" mankind has ever mindlessly embraced. Yeehaw! Somebody stamp me and pass the jello salad.

Confused Thought that was "Kalhoun"...?

Sounds like Kalhoun!

03-06-2008 05:47 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

well - was off the bIbleland liner notes.....

sign of age- repeat yourself again..pete?

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-06-2008 09:20 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by James

Is this Bibleland bonanza slowing down? Not on my watch!

"Broken Ladders to Glory" and "Stone Away" are the perfect beginning and ending songs for this sweet swig of satisfying sonic cider.
03-06-2008 20:12 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

I love BibleLand.
I did not buy it when it first came out, but I picked it up on cassette years later.
Spring of 2002 I think. I fell in love with it on the first listen.
I remember blaring it on my route and it echoing around the parking lot when I was unloading my passengers.

I few of my co-wokers made some "Dennis is rockin' out today" kind of comments!

I said "Damb right I am!" Pleased

At the Terry and Mike BBQ, I bought the CD from Terry, along with Live Bootleg '82 and Kalhoun (I had them on tape, not CD.)

When Terry and the rest of DA were on the board a few years ago,
I told him that a lot of his lyrics which seemed funny at first, turned out to be really sad lyrics
and he agreed and mention people laughing at the line
"You in your tattered gown, me in my underpants" in concerts
and he saw it as being about brokenness, not as a funny line at all.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-06-2008 20:29.

03-06-2008 20:28 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by James

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
he agreed and mention people laughing at the line
"You in your tattered gown, me in my underpants" in concerts
and he saw it as being about brokenness, not as a funny line at all.

For a brief (no pun intended) moment, he considered using "me in my unmentionables", but it just didn't have the same ring to it.
03-06-2008 22:00 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by James
For a brief (no pun intended) moment, he considered using "me in my unmentionables", but it just didn't have the same ring to it.

...and "grippies" didn't have enough syllables.
03-06-2008 22:14 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

hmmm... "tighty whiteys" has a certain ring to it

still, can anyone sing underpants at a concert and expect to be taken seriously? it defies one's natural bent toward remorsifulcation

and why does underpants sound different than underwear?

and why did my daughter always laugh herself silly between the ages of 4 to 17 every time she or someone else said "mickey mouse's underwear" ? i never figured that one out

and what's worse, wearing underpants to church and every body seeing your panty lines, or not wearing any underwear at all?

Psalm 119:83
03-06-2008 23:21 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Strange Animal
quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
Was there any official statement as to why J. Chamberlain's input became so diminished immediately after Motor Cycle and what he's up to now?

I always dug his contributions to the Misery/History discs.

i assume just because he moved to nashville......... a townsend may have more info....... Confused

I think that was the main reason. It always seemed like Terry likes to change the band mix a bit every now and then as well, but I think it was more geography than anything else.

Jerry's starting to work with the fellas more now that they're recording in Nashville more. He of course contributed to Lost Cabin and the Mystery Trees and Spot showed up on Midget.

In the words of Doc Love...

quote:

Jerry is a great guitar player and a swell guy. Some of you may have noticed that he's active again in our camp and I look forward to a lot more of that.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-07-2008 00:37 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

James -- thanks for the kind words. it's not possible that i could've ever been a household name but thanks for the thought.

As usual, i find the comments fascinating. yes, there's definitely some darkness in some of the lyrics, but there's beauty as well.

and i can tell you there was absolutely no frustration while playing that stuff in the studio. the musical energy you hear is actually pure joy and passion as opposed to anger or frustration. but i can also see how it can come off sounding like that. (jiminy, i'm not trying to contradict you, because the truth is that there is a bit of what you heard the way you heard it, on the record. especially in the lyrics.)

but we were having a blast. da recording sessions are always a combination of ridiculousness, intensity, uncontrollable laughter, and an attempt, at least, to be open to anything.

i'll tell a little story that i may have told here before so forgive me if you've heard this one. "the bubble bursts" is one of my favorite tracks that i've ever had the opportunity to play on. if you listen carefully you can hear a sort of greasy kind of "swing" to the basic track. ed and i recorded the basic (just bass and drums) with terry playing a scratch guitar plugged straight into the board in the control room as a guide for us to follow the song. (in other words, the guitar wasn't recorded .)

ed and i tracked that at 4 in the morning and, um,...er,... we may or may not have had a couple or three beers in us. (ok, it was jack daniels for me. there. are you happy?!)

we went home and when we came in the next day and listened to the track, it sounded so horrible that everyone thought it should be burned. but it also had this wonderful drunken slow-gallop/swing to it. (you can hear it kick in where the vocal starts.) once jerry and greg recorded some strategically placed guitar stabs and ed recorded snare shots over the same parts, it smoothed everything out but kept the gallop. we added more guitars and that's the track that made it onto bibleland.
03-07-2008 11:49 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

The Bubble Bursts is a great tune, I love the drunk punch feel of it.
What's that weird / cool effect on the break?

03-07-2008 11:57 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

hey dennis -- if we're thinking about the same thing, i think you're hearing those affected snare shots with a slightly muffled guitar part underneath.
03-07-2008 11:59 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

time to put on the headphones..
do I need a beer first?? Cool
(jk)

Thanks Tim- WHERES THE BOOK!?!

I love every tale about every song...
and you have the right to contradict me at any juncture.I mean - what the heck do I know???? (plus you were there)

I can easily imagine that a DA session would be all of the above..doing what you love and can do best is always a rewarding thing..
is it Work?- well yes and no...

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-07-2008 12:10 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

hey jiminy! -- like i said, there is some truth in what YOU said. especially if you read the lyrics to "bakersfield" for instance.
03-07-2008 12:12 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

and yes, a beer first would helpSmile
03-07-2008 12:12 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

I have never tried Bakersfield with Jack Daniels. That sounds good.
03-07-2008 12:24 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Daniel Amos

oh man, bakersfield and jack go together like you wouldn't believe. but that's another story.
03-07-2008 12:28 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Well, we have time. Carry on Aesop.
03-07-2008 12:38 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by tchandler
hey dennis -- if we're thinking about the same thing, i think you're hearing those affected snare shots with a slightly muffled guitar part underneath.

I think that may be it. Very cool.

03-07-2008 12:53 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (8): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bibleland Appreciation Thread

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH