Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Swirling Eddies - the midget, the speck and the molecule » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (17): « first ... « previous 9 10 [11] 12 13 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Swirling Eddies - the midget, the speck and the molecule 14 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0014 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0014 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0014 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0014 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Tyler Durden Tyler Durden is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 04-11-2002
Location: Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is a spiritual war.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I thought it was funny. I wish that I was the one mentioned.
03-03-2008 15:41 Tyler Durden is offline Send an Email to Tyler Durden Search for Posts by Tyler Durden Add Tyler Durden to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
I am suprised. When Terry/Camarillo told us he wrote some song about the situation he was laughing and saying it was the funniest song on the album. The reason it is funny is because it is entirely self deprecating. He took what was essentially an ugly situation and turned it into a self deprecating joke, and at the same time tried to convey a little bit of perspective. I believe the last verse is a good summary of the point of the entire song;

do you think this is something?
we’ll let’s hear from st. paul:
"no this is nothin,’ really nothin’ at all"
compared to coming glory
it don’t compare a bit
just another sad story
of another piece of hit

He is saying his own music is a "piece of hit" that is not worth all this commotion. "Just another sad story.. of another piece of hit" aludes to the fact that this is nothing new in Uncle Terry's career, anyone that has followed their career knows they generally have had to struggle to get any music out. Having to wait for one of his pieces of "hit" does not constitute suffering, especially when the reason everyone is waiting is because;

cos we’re on empty
so fill up our tank
with good and plenty, milk and
honey, and money in the bank

There is no angry mean spirited point or spirit behind the song at all.

i can see where you are coming from but if you look at the entire lyric you might see how some of it might leave a sour taste in some. if there was no mention of "big dork and his buddies" or "poor jason and eric" then it would appear that it was totally self deprecating. this inclusion creates a "us and them" feeling in the lyric. and while terry is clearly singing about himself, the lyrics mentioned take away from his intent......i believe.

i understand that there was no mean spiritedness intended......but maybe it could have been written a bit differently.

and at the same time.....anyone is free to write whatever they wish.

just some of my thoughts

03-03-2008 17:40 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Tyler Durden Tyler Durden is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 04-11-2002
Location: Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is a spiritual war.

I think that some people wake up with a sour taste in their mouth and blame the first bloke that crosses their path. My suggestion is to brush with firmer bristles and don't forget their own toungue.

Thin skinned Christians usually are the first to complain and then complain when somebody mentions how frequently they complain.

Hilarious.
03-03-2008 18:12 Tyler Durden is offline Send an Email to Tyler Durden Search for Posts by Tyler Durden Add Tyler Durden to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

Its important to note that those lines are separated in the song, not together.... they're actually sort of talking about two separate things in a way.

Our names were thrown in there (much to our surprise Shocked ) as "getting the lip," because the fellas always get a little frustrated when the two of us have to take all of the heat from any "issue" that comes up.. a late album, or whatever. It doesn't even have to make sense, but since we run the websites, we're on the front lines so to speak. So, anyone that gets upset about almost anything - gets upset at us first. Its been that way since the start and its been that way for everyone I know that works in a similar position for other bands. People will also get a lot nastier with us than they would with a band member - even if the "issue" has more to do with a band member than it does the website.

The other line was a specific reference to what went on here (and there) at the time. I don't think its meant to be singling out two "sides" or anything like that. I understand how someone involved might take it that way, but if you look at the way the lyric is structured, I don't think it was intended at all. I also do not get that feeling just from hearing Terry talk about the song.

And all of it, is meant as a silly joke. They wanted to make everyone laugh with it. Anyone who listens to it and hears "anger" is hearing something that isn't intended at all.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-03-2008 18:13 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

I think it is hilarious. Big Dork & his buddies should feel quite honored, as should Jason & Eric, to be mentioned in the song. How many artists actually refer by name to their fanbase in a song? We all know how wacky TST is. I'm surprised so many hardcore fans took it so seriously. IT'S CAMARILLO EDDY, PEOPLE!!!! Sheesh.

03-03-2008 18:18 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

I'm not it's so much missing the point, and a matter or perspective. I thought it was deliciously "evil" but as one who was not paying attention close attention to the ongoing saga, those who were called on it - found themselves on the pointy end of the Eddy stick, and didn't like it. I'm not the only one to "not get" it to some degree. Still, many a truth is said in jest.

<my edit>
Anyways - it was not my intent to pull off the scab and rehash this all again. Those were my thoughts on the album, and that's all there are.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Jevon the Tall: 03-03-2008 18:25.

03-03-2008 18:19 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Administrator

A quote from the only person mentioned...

quote:
Originally posted by bigdork.2

It's just a song, no big deal guys... thanks for sticking up for me (and yourselves) but really, there is no need. Time to let it go and move on.... Just don't let a silly squabble be the focus of this CD, that's just silly.

Hey Terry, feel free to shoot me an email and we can have a laugh over this whole thing! It's pretty funny even though some can't see it right now Pleased

BigDork

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-03-2008 18:24 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Still, many a truth is said in jest

...and some jests are plain true...

I actually thought it was pretty cool all in all- for it was rather a permanent "Touche" to the saga..non refutable really-who'll know (or care) about the details except those involved really..
Thats what makes it cool-
another piece of Buska!

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-03-2008 18:29 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Administrator

Yeah, I do think that was part of the joke of that section. Sort of like... "oh yeah, well here's the final word!" Who can argue with Camarillo now? He wrote a freakin song out of it!

And its true, the vast majority that hear it will have no clue what it even means... which makes it even more insane that he put it in there. Big Grin

03-03-2008 18:33 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Yes, I agree with that. I agree that I think the lines about us are in general because we have been taking lip for like 9 years over late releases, website junk, even at T-Shirt booths. We get phone calls and emails and letters, some of which may have legitimate complaints about lost orders but some are not so legitimate. I think Terry and the guys feel bad that the two guys that are helping them take all the heat all the time.

I think at least part of the song is Camarillo saying "you whiners and complainers say that the album will never come... well here it is!!"

And I think they chunk about Big Dork and his buddies is really not all that mean spirited either, it only says 'stop being so nasty'.... because we are filling your preorders.

Again I would say the last verse sums it up well, its just another sad story of another piece of hit.

03-03-2008 20:12 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

I think Big Dork is mentioned because it is just plain funny to sing "big dork," and for people who don't know who "BD" is, its just a funny line. He could have used almost anyone else's name, but Big Dork worked best for public consumption. I don't think Big Dork the person is being offended here, he's the frontman because of the name...its all who consider themselves "the buddies" lumped together. And, though I think it was firmly meant to be tongue in cheek, honest to goodness humour, as Big Dork first affirmed in that message quoted by audiori earlier, it could have been dealt with really quickly and well, to let it sit and stink though... I think it could have been handled better. I don't believe any contact was ever made, an offense is an offense, whether inteded or not.

Nothing to do with the original issue of how long it should take to get a preorder out, I could care less about that!

Just my two cents, and if it stirs up strife here, feel free to delete this post! Self-editing is not allowed by my signature line Big Grin

03-05-2008 07:12 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Yes I think Big Dork was named because he has the website and messageboard where all his 'buddies' hang, and where a lot of the nastiness brewed. I really don't see what the song says about big dork or his buddies as being bad, he says to not be so nasty... which is a response to all the complaining, nothing else. And Camarillo did come here and make a few in person responses, so there was connection before hand. Some even complained about his posts, I do believe it was his time here on the board that inspired the song.

In very flat terms the song could be summed up like this;

Verse one: Here is the release, no more waiting, no more complaining..

Chorus: Give him a hand, the band needs money...

Verse two: Big Dork and his forum buddies stop complaining, here is the preorder...

Chorus: Give the band a hand...

Verse three: There were no evil intentions, no lies, when all is said and done you were not ripped off...

Chorus: Give the band a hand...

Verse four: They learned the lesson of not giving a release date because of all the unforseen issues with getting things out, he feels bad that we get the lip and not him... (Before us it was Tom)

Chorus: Give the band a hand....

Verse five: Do you think you have suffered waiting for this record? Its not suffering, and its not worth all the fuss anyway. This kind of thing has happened over and over to this band since they started.

Chorus: Give them a hand...

All in all the song is not about Big Dork or us, even though we are mentioned. The song is about Camarillo/Terry in a funny self depricating way, he is using this situation as just one of many where things didn't work out as intended and it is not worth all the ugliness. I don't think Terry/Camarillo Intends the song to be taken as mean spirited or as an attack on anyone, I think he is trying to use humor to bring a little perspective to a situation that was blown way out of proportion.

03-05-2008 08:45 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Lur King Lur King is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-107.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2003

03-05-2008 08:55 Lur King is offline Send an Email to Lur King Homepage of Lur King Search for Posts by Lur King Add Lur King to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

quote:
I don't believe any contact was ever made, an offense is an offense, whether inteded or not.

So you should acknowledge every single person who is offended by anything you've ever done?

But really, I don't care. At the risk of really ticking everyone off on all sides of this, are we really going to dredge all this crap up again? For what benefit? Red Face Roll Eyes

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by MarkyMark77: 03-05-2008 09:22.

03-05-2008 09:18 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

i believe it was simply bad judgment to write such a tune and mention people, everything else aside

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
03-05-2008 10:02 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Administrator

Its funny how the response is attacked as being so awful, as opposed to what it was a response to.

To respond as he did, I believe Terry used extremely good judgement and restraint. He very well could of attacked in kind, but instead he chose to do something different.. change the focus to try and put things in perspective.

You can't force people to step back and take a breath, or look at things from a different perspective, but maybe you can encourage them to.

03-05-2008 11:43 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

I think Jason is sexy. I like him best. Do you use head and shoulders?

03-05-2008 12:47 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

sometimes the best response is no response ...

oh well ...

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
03-05-2008 12:52 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

quote:
Originally posted by MarkyMark77
quote:
I don't believe any contact was ever made, an offense is an offense, whether inteded or not.

So you should acknowledge every single person who is offended by anything you've ever done?

But really, I don't care. At the risk of really ticking everyone off on all sides of this, are we really going to dredge all this crap up again? For what benefit? Red Face Roll Eyes

I think I would at least acknowledge that I offended them and try to settle. (Though I'm not in the public eye and likely to offend a cast of thousands.) I don't see what's wrong with saying, "I'm sorry for offending you, I certainly wasn't trying to do that."

03-05-2008 12:59 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

And that's all I've got to say 'bout that.

03-05-2008 13:00 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Pages (17): « first ... « previous 9 10 [11] 12 13 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Swirling Eddies - the midget, the speck and the molecule

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH