Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » He Exalts Thee » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page He Exalts Thee
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

He Exalts Thee Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

hi kids! it's friday! and since i have absolutely nothing of any real value to say, (actually i pretty much never do, come to think of it) let's re-read an old Doppelganger review from the album review section of this website!

this, i think, is probably my most favorite da review ever, based purely on it's entertainment value. this guy appears to have been hitting the lavoris pretty hard with berger.

"Nothings good, nothings perfect. Set your mind on things that are miserable and show no hope of improvement, says Daniel Amos in Doppelganger."

hilarious! (and i'm not being facetious in any way.) i love the wording, "set your mind on things that are miserable..." i love this review because it makes me laugh out loud! especially his "basic experiment".

Charisma Magazine 1983

by Richard Nakamoto

Doppelganger Offers Cynical Cry of Anguish

Only those who appreciate experimental music in the genre of classical composers Schonberg, Stravinsky and Shostakovich will last through this ambitious, energetic album by the Christian rock group Daniel Amos. Doppelganger is not restful. It does not lift praise with angels voices.

The first section sounds like the stereo has broken a needle on an album of Halloween chanting. Then the narration goes downhill into darkness. From there, we get harsh pop operatics reminiscent of Pink Floyd's The Wall or the Who's Tommy. The church has failed us, this album says. Nothings good, nothings perfect. Set your mind on things that are miserable and show no hope of improvement, says Daniel Amos in Doppelganger.

Defenders of artistic expression by Christian artists perhaps will be pleased by this release, particularly due to Daniel Amos' stature in the Christian rock community. Some votes of confidence will be cast by mature Christian musicians who will buy this album out of principle. But Doppelganger hurts. It's a visit to the hell of the unsaved.

Daniel Amos' members have wandered back to musical frontiers discovered long before the fairly recent birth of contemporary rock 'n' roll. And such groups as New Wave redeemed rockers Underground have proven that a good Christian message can be relayed through non-orthodoxy. But Underground's efforts are salvaged by sanctified lyrics.

Doppelganger, on the other hand, tears down -- on several levels. Only the most naive still pretends that music has no effect on the listener. If you're unconvinced, perform a very basic experiment. Yank out your most cynical anarchic New Wave album or your hardest Christian metal release, say Fortress Rock by Stronghold. Listen to the whole thing. Then put on Farrell and Farrell's Let the Whole World Know, John Fischer's Dark Horse or anything by Phil Keaggy. To be fair, don't be critical of musical styles as you listen to the albums. Ignore the words. Now to take the experiment further, put on I Exalt Thee by Phil Driscoll, Hymns by Craig Smith or anything by John Michael Talbot. I'll predict that - if you're honest - you can observe a significant mood shift.

Don't get defensive. For years your have pooh-poohed pulpit-pounding haters of rock, assuming they merely allowed their love of the Blackwood Brothers, dull choirs and twanging cowboy yodelers to affect their theology. But, alas, the truth is that there is some bad rock, just like there is some bad country.

If you like the effect of music such as Doppelganger on your psyche, prayerfully seek the Lord. Yes, this stuff is Christian, but why does it leave you hurting, empty and selfish? It is a cry from the abyss. Stones flung at the city gates. The mocking whip of a bullfrog. We don't need that. In fact, some of us consciously have to stay away from it. There is peace in the valley. We've got to quit crying in the rocks with jackals.
05-25-2007 10:10 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

well = thats basically the way I first heard it..
and continue to still!

awesome!

where is Charisma MAgazine now, I wonders??

(hi Tim!)

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
05-25-2007 10:26 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

Thread Starter Thread Started by tchandler
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"If you like the effect of music such as Doppelganger on your psyche, prayerfully seek the Lord."

it just doesn't get any better!
05-25-2007 10:28 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Anything by Phil Keaggy.... "Sunday's Child" count? How about "Crimson and Blue"? (Keaggy stonehill tour was incredible by the way. Big Grin )

"The mocking whip of a bullfrog." That would be a pretty tiny insigificant whip slung by a tiny weak creature wouldn't it? I don't think I have ever seen a bullfrog use a whip actually. Do they ride around on lizard driven carriages?

05-25-2007 10:31 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

On the "Basic experiment", the mood shift that would occur for me if someone popped out Doppelganger and slapped in Ferrell and Ferrell would be anger and probably some disgust. So does that prove anything?

05-25-2007 10:34 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
SilkySmoothScrubbyMuffin SilkySmoothScrubbyMuffin is a male
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-403.jpg

Registration Date: 08-23-2003

RE: He Exalts Thee Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally printed by Richard Nakamoto
To be fair, don't be critical of musical styles as you listen to the albums. Ignore the words.

Like he did with Doppelganger, not being critical of the music styles.... how did you guys ever find this review?

05-25-2007 10:42 SilkySmoothScrubbyMuffin is offline Send an Email to SilkySmoothScrubbyMuffin Search for Posts by SilkySmoothScrubbyMuffin Add SilkySmoothScrubbyMuffin to your Buddy List
Administrator

http://www.hopechapelkapolei.org/driving.html

05-25-2007 10:46 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

i wonder if berger would like to send him an email or anything?
05-25-2007 11:19 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

quote:
"The mocking whip of a bullfrog."

yeah, that one kinda confused me too.
05-25-2007 11:20 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Lur King Lur King is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-107.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2003

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Fortress Rock by Stronghold

I had forgot about this one Cool awesome Smile

05-25-2007 11:41 Lur King is offline Send an Email to Lur King Homepage of Lur King Search for Posts by Lur King Add Lur King to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

"But, alas, the truth is that there is some bad rock, just like there is some bad country."

As compared to "good country"

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

05-25-2007 11:44 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Well, I for one think the review is just sad.

05-25-2007 12:36 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
uvulapie uvulapie is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 09-09-2003

The Experiment Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I don't have any of the albums he suggests, aside from some Phil Keaggys but those aren't here at work. Do you think I could substitute the Tom Howard album with the song about fish?
05-25-2007 12:52 uvulapie is offline Send an Email to uvulapie Homepage of uvulapie Search for Posts by uvulapie Add uvulapie to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of uvulapie: uvulapie
Lur King Lur King is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-107.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2003

RE: The Experiment Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by uvulapie
Do you think I could substitute the Tom Howard album with the song about fish?

Yes it is Friday Big Grin

05-25-2007 13:10 Lur King is offline Send an Email to Lur King Homepage of Lur King Search for Posts by Lur King Add Lur King to your Buddy List
SnowMan SnowMan is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 09-10-2006

It is amazing. We had disgruntled people in the congregation Easter because I didn't present The Gospel in song. What do you call: "Lord, I lift Your name on high"?? Translated, what the "accusers" meant was that I didn't sing their personal monumental sacred cow tunes (e.g. Up from the grave He arose, which incidentally I do like, but they wouldn't like the way I do it) Cool

I was talking in the hotel room last night with a friend about this very thing and said that for all the prayer-hollering we have done for so long for Revival--in this twisted day and age, the revival may come in a still quiet remote and lonely place with just a few gathered--and stay that way. Who knows.

Good heavens! What would we do without the Dark night of the soul and The Whiskey Priest.

This "reviewer" needs to reread the Psalms or Lamentations, where it speaks to that church then saying things like:

"I have seen God's people cook and eat their children."

I'd say DG was fairly tame compared to the Word of God. Wink

Okay. Now I need to get more than 4 hours of sleep. Roll Eyes

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by SnowMan: 05-25-2007 13:25.

05-25-2007 13:24 SnowMan is offline Homepage of SnowMan Search for Posts by SnowMan Add SnowMan to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

SNOMAN

ZUP?
YOU MELTING YET????

05-25-2007 14:26 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

Well there needs to be a balance for many of us. A steady diet of any one theme gets irritating.

The guy writing the review needs to recognize there are times when we want honest expressions of being saints in sinners’ clothing.

Conversely, the DaMBers of the world – how many forums get to claim a persona? – exulting in their honesty, may need to appreciate the fact that some of us have been honest for so long that we need to take a break from the “what a worm am I, and you too, and while we’re at it the church has not been smelling too good lately either” expressions. Once in awhile I need to be reminded that I and the stinky ones around me are sinners in saints’ clothing which will transform us when the Big Day comes.

It may be said in the end we all preach to the choir. We like a captive audience even if they have eyeballs painted on their sleeping eyelids. Could it be that the DAs of the world would rather box (& occasionally tickle) the ears of that special minority who can face their own offensiveness, than placate those who pretend to live on the other side of glory using false addresses?

Now if you can figure out what in the world I mean please let me know:-)

Does a worm qualify as a bullwhip of a frog... I mean a whip of a bullfrog... no, I mean a frogwhip of a bull... oh I give up.

Psalm 119:83
05-25-2007 14:43 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Mind Peach

quote:
Originally posted by sondance
Well there needs to be a balance for many of us. A steady diet of any one theme gets irritating.

The guy writing the review needs to recognize there are times when we want honest expressions of being saints in sinners’ clothing.

Conversely, the DaMBers of the world – how many forums get to claim a persona? – exulting in their honesty, may need to appreciate the fact that some of us have been honest for so long that we need to take a break from the “what a worm am I, and you too, and while we’re at it the church has not been smelling too good lately either” expressions. Once in awhile I need to be reminded that I and the stinky ones around me are sinners in saints’ clothing which will transform us when the Big Day comes.

Indeed. I just thot the guy didn't represent the fullness of the album. But there is also beauty in the world! Pleased

05-25-2007 15:03 SnowMan is offline Homepage of SnowMan Search for Posts by SnowMan Add SnowMan to your Buddy List
Mind Peach

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
SNOMAN

ZUP?
YOU MELTING YET????

Cricket-meister! No melting. Air-co in full operation!!
Luv ya, man! Wink

05-25-2007 15:04 SnowMan is offline Homepage of SnowMan Search for Posts by SnowMan Add SnowMan to your Buddy List
Administrator

Well, I find Ecclesiastes uplifting because you have to see yourself as lost to know you need a savior. The fallenness of man is worth looking at and understadning because it leads us to salvation and the very need for it. The contrast between man and God, the Human condition and Glory. A person who knows they are lost, afraid and close to death is the person that really appreciates being found and saved.

05-25-2007 16:28 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » He Exalts Thee

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH