Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Daniel Amos Discography » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Daniel Amos Discography
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Daniel Amos Discography Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You probably already know about this, but...

http://blondevinyletc.,etc/

It now contains a large amount of Daniel Amos discs as well.

I don't really understand this, but, just wanted to make sure that the band and the Audioris knew about this. Please feel free to edit the link out if you need to.

11-27-2006 09:49 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

We'll notify Terry's legal assistant.

I knew of the site, but didn't realize it had DA related stuff on it. The sad thing about this is this is really hurtful to these artists... some of them are pretty torn up about this site. This person obviously doesn't realize that he's literally taking money out of the artists pockets since the artists themselves paid for these albums in many cases. Crying

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
11-27-2006 15:01 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Administrator

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Brian Healy had this to say:

"And Brian is very Mountain Dewed off that someone has destroyed the value
of my copyrighted work as well as those of the other artists. Perhaps
this guy won't mind if we go to his house and take a few things of his;
I'm sure I can't find a car just like His car, and I'd like to make it free
for all to enjoy. I'm sure one of us could use it for the Lord. I love being
poor and infamous."

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
11-27-2006 15:22 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

just wondering, and i saw that too......does brian always talk about himself in the third person?

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

11-27-2006 15:25 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

Big Grin i did find that rather odd............

btw, i can't get the link to work. what are you guys talking about?

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
11-27-2006 15:27 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

i won't post the link here, but he did say this......

I didn't post the self titled disc (1976), Songs from the Heart (1995), or Mr. Buechner's Dream (2001), since they're each available on the Daniel Amos website.
i didn't download any of the Da stuff, because i already have it....
if it is out of print, it is not hurting anybody......
but we've already had this conversation several times now haven't we??? Tongue Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

time to go have a root beer..................... Tongue

Cool
11-27-2006 15:36 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Frown OK, I can't bite my tongue today ... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I don't condone breaking the law that openly ... Frown

However, put-up-or-shut-up also applies to some degree. Terry is trying to get stuff out. Even so, Alarma Chronicles bookset hasn't been reissued and single used CDs of some stuff are going for $50+. There is some level of an unmet market demand in force out there.

Get over the physical CD preference and put stuff out there where it can be legally downloaded. Personally, as it is, I finally found some cheap LPs of Doppelganger, Fearful Symmetry, and Horrendous Disc that I did not have. I may not buy reissues of those now, unless Terry writes something really cool or they include more special song extras that are more than new wave keyboard music that I personally don't prefer to listen to. (Well, I'll probably buy the HD reissue since it's not new wave and I only got the LP because it was cheap and I was getting FS from the same place). Even so, if the songs had been available to download, I would have done it at the going rate a couple of years ago... (or when I realized I would never be able to get an Alarma Chronicles bookset at a reasonable price). Frown

That's my attitude and I consider myself to be at least an average Terry fan. I hate to think of all those that visited the webstore and would have bought stuff had it been available (including downloads) that never bothered to say a word. Frown

This is mostly just my rant and frustration but I have to be blunt and honest on this subject. Frown Red Face Also, I buy stuff from the DA webstore (when I can't buy it from the LD guys on tour) and have done so a few times knowing I could have gotten it a little cheaper elsewhere.

In my frustration I still say thanks to the audiori bros. for all they have done and continue to do for Terry, DA, LD etc. It doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated. Happy

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
11-27-2006 15:36 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

amen to mountain fan.

downloads, for the love of everything that is holy!!!!

it's better than having someone else do it, and for free, isn't it now?

if i could buy that stuff somehow, and support the band, i would.

when i can't.........well. i can't.

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

11-27-2006 15:49 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by joey
i won't post the link here, but he did say this......

I didn't post the self titled disc (1976), Songs from the Heart (1995), or the amazing Mr. Buechner's Dream (2001), since they're each available on the Daniel Amos website.

But they're giving away stuff that is currently available... so its only a "feel good" argument, not one of substance.

11-27-2006 15:55 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Administrator

You guys seem to think that there aren't downloads because we just don't want to do it.

Let me put this as clearly as I can...

DA doesn't own most of their albums. That means they can't release it on CD, as a download or printed on the back of a napkin without permission. Thats what we're working on (er, well... not the napkin thing, but the other stuff).

Those of you that are moderators know that we've been negotiating a new reissue for several months now. This is probably one of the hardest ones we have to work on of course, but.. no matter who the company is, its not an easy negotiation. The owner often feels like they're owed a lot of money from the project and want to try to squeeze it out of us to get it. Outside of paying them tens of thousands of dollars that no one has, a very difficult negotiation has to take place. The good part of it is that a lot of these folks will negotiate with the band a lot more fairly than they would another company.. so, in many ways its easier to have the band working out a reissue than it would be to go to some label and try to work through them.

Regardless of what the final arrangement is with these companies, there is no question that we'll be shelling out a lot of money to make these rereleases happen. Thats why folks like us don't like someone giving it away for free in the middle of that negotiation. It's potentially ruining the demand that we're trying hard to fill.

11-27-2006 16:02 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
You guys seem to think that there aren't downloads because we just don't want to do it.

DA doesn't own most of their albums. That means they can't release it on CD, as a download or printed on the back of a napkin without permission. Thats what we're working on (er, well... not the napkin thing, but the other stuff).

Those of you that are moderators know that we've been negotiating a new reissue for several months now. This is probably one of the hardest ones we have to work on of course, but.. no matter who the company is, its not an easy negotiation. The owner often feels like they're owed a lot of money from the project and want to try to squeeze it out of us to get it. Outside of paying them tens of thousands of dollars that no one has, a very difficult negotiation has to take place. The good part of it is that a lot of these folks will negotiate with the band a lot more fairly than they would another company.. so, in many ways its easier to have the band working out a reissue than it would be to go to some label and try to work through them.

So, Terry already got paid for the albums and the parties getting damaged the most are the actual owners of the music. Confused

Terry only gets hurt if webstore related sales are effected (such as DA DVD Live in Anaheim - already have it). Confused

Got a few miles left ...

11-27-2006 16:06 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Basically what I am saying is, regardless of who gets hurt, if a demand for out-of-print stuff is not met it will be "shared" to some degree regardless of the legality of it.

Got a few miles left ...

11-27-2006 16:08 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan

So, Terry already got paid for the albums and the parties getting damaged the most are the actual owners of the music. Confused

Terry only gets hurt if webstore related sales are effected (such as DA DVD Live in Anaheim - already have it). Confused

And since we're agressively working to reissue this stuff (and already putting a lot of money into it, by the way)... webstore sales are effected.

11-27-2006 16:08 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
Basically what I am saying is, regardless of who gets hurt, if a demand for out-of-print stuff is not met it will be "shared" to some degree regardless of the legality of it.

Of course... thats always been the case and it will always be hurtful to somebody.

When you're putting thousands of dollars and countless hours into working out reissues (like we're doing), you need that demand to still be in place. Any lost demand is hurtful.

11-27-2006 16:09 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

quote:
Originally posted by audiori

but surely they own some of it? yes? no?

11-27-2006 16:19 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Administrator

Most of what they own is in print. The only titles that they own that aren't are "Alarma!" and, I think, "Doppelganger". We intend to do something with these pretty soon - but we're still figuring out what the best thing to do with the Alarma Chronicles is. Since the entire set was available just a couple of years ago, we're trying to decide if we want to try to re-release that set somehow (which is very expensive and it also means working out a new deal for Vox Humana and Fearful Symmetry) or if we just want to release them separately again and maybe make the hardcover book available without discs.

We're trying to be very careful with this reissue series. We don't want to rush out an Alarma reprint and then decide that we need to do it differently when we get around to doing Fearful Symmetry. We'd like to do the definitive release of each album.. nothing that the band will have regrets about a year later or feel the need to reissue again at some point. Whatever we do for those two discs will have to be done for Vox and Fearful as well.. since they're a set.

We have permission to bring Buechners back in print through Stunt (it just went out of print a few weeks ago) but we can't do that until Galaxy21 turns over some info. Dan has already said that he will gladly do that, but we're just waiting for that to happen. There is still demand for it, but hopefully this feller won't start bootlegging it before that happens.

11-27-2006 16:29 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Administrator

I might also add this link to Terry's words on the subject for anyone that hasn't read them...

http://www.danielamos.com/articles/openletter.html

We just recently spent a number of hours finding all of Terry's copyright numbers to go after another internet bootlegger. Now Terry's legal help has to do it again apparently.

11-27-2006 17:12 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

just threaten to send tim chandler and tattoobob to his house. he'll stop.

11-27-2006 19:55 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Or Terry.

11-27-2006 20:52 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

tim is scarier.

and nails....well, he even scares ME.

11-27-2006 21:12 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Daniel Amos Discography

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH