Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Passion Of The Christ » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (14): « first ... « previous 10 11 [12] 13 14 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Passion Of The Christ
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

cool

04-20-2004 19:09 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

How could Tarantino like the Passion?
No one was shot.

Perhaps he was trying to make up for his appearance judging on American Idol........

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
04-21-2004 07:42 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Kaf-N-8ed
Ah, well, I haven't seen The Passion yet...

I probably will see it, but I have no particular sense that it will inform my impression of what happened at the Cross.

I understand the Catholic perspectives that have been given here, familarity with the contemplation of the Passion of Christ makes sense from that point of view. As an Orthodox Christian we spend Holy Week (Mon through Good Friday) thinking about the Passion. But we always look at the passion through the eyes of the Resurrection.

The Cross is a triumph, not a defeat.

The Cross is where Christ "Glorifies Himself" (as it says several places in the Scriptures.)

But from an artistic standpoint, I can understand taking a look at The Passion - all by itself. So, I don't mind if they fail to really mention the Resurrection. That's Mel's artistic liberty. He said what he wanted to say with the movie. I generally like Mel's movies. He has great things to say through them.

It just isn't the historic practice of the ancient Church to concentrate on the Cross as an individual event in isolation from all the rest of the work of Christ. For theological reasons, for pedagogical reasons, for inspirational reasons, etc. the Cross is always looked at "throught he eyes of the Resurrection"

Regards!
Coffee Man

"Christ is Risen!
Indeed He is Risen!"

Good thoughts but I found out something last week that was interesting. My sister went to art lessons and her teacher was a catholic and she told my sister to go talk to the priest about how to draw, paint, etc a cross or Christian picture. You see, my sister had done a brilliant piece and it was all wrong because stuff was missing or in the wrong spot.

The other day I'm reading the san bernardino sun and a Baptist preacher has an ariticle about the passion and he's saying that Mel went exactly by the Catholic rules of art. All his i's are dotted and his t's are crossed. (no pun intended) Big Grin

My point is, Mel used no artistic liberty. He used tradition and legalism that goes over 99% of our heads and only a handfull of traditional Catholic artists and priests get it. There is a lot more there than meets the eye.

04-21-2004 10:54 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Dorf-
I dont know that the"Catholc" version of the passion varies much from what other christian groups or individuals see.

(I have not seen the film, so I am basing this on what I've heard)

Yes - the catholic faith rather "breaks down" the steps of the trip to golgotha (with some extra biblical portions- Veronica being one ), and I believe I am correct in saying that Gibson drew from some artistic past to create his visuals, rather than historical accuracy. (the old "Stake" Issue for one...)
but most of the folks I know who have an eye for things similar as me say that it is a visually stunning work-
I DO want to see it, just haven't yet. I hope having grown up in Catholicism (alter boy level) that I could give a perspective based on my past .

Soon-

04-21-2004 13:04 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

I'm talking about small details all the way down the the placement of mary. There is no room for artistic liscence in Catholic art. Shocked

04-21-2004 13:10 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
I'm talking about small details all the way down the the placement of mary. There is no room for artistic liscence in Catholic art. Shocked

I wonder if artists can apply for indulgences too? Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
04-21-2004 13:39 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Yeah, Protestants are just way better artists.

Roll Eyes

04-21-2004 13:54 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Roll Eyes

After John Michael Talbot, it all goes downhill! Tongue

04-21-2004 14:08 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Yeah. Just look at Tolkien and Flannery sitting in the mud at the bottom of that hill.
04-21-2004 14:12 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Grand Encephalon

As you all know, I'm talking about paintings and drawings (and in this case a movie) not music. It goes back to Mr. Coffee's comment on Mel Gibson's art Wink

04-21-2004 14:13 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thumb Down! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Are you saying a should read more than the last post or two? Shocked

04-21-2004 14:15 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

I would never ask anyone to do that Shocked

04-21-2004 14:17 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Attention Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

whew! Baby

04-21-2004 14:18 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Roll Eyes

Ha, Mark, you got me LOL! Big Grin

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
04-21-2004 16:13 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Thanks.

Yes Catholics do not seem to be involved in "CCM" too much. Perhaps we are better. Wink

04-21-2004 16:15 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Red Face Michael Card

04-21-2004 23:22 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Vox Robotica
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpg

Registration Date: 06-19-2003

quote:
Red Face Michael Card

Don't you mean John Michael Talbot?

Michael Card isn't Catholic, as far as I know.

~ Vox

"The systems fail
All the circuits blown
And the message lost in this machine oh

04-22-2004 08:32 Vox Robotica is offline Send an Email to Vox Robotica Homepage of Vox Robotica Search for Posts by Vox Robotica Add Vox Robotica to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr YIM Account Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr View the MSN Profile for Vox Robotica
Grand Encephalon

Yes he is...he converted just like Rich Mullins was about to. You can also add First Call to that list.

04-22-2004 11:08 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

I thought I read the Elephantes were Catholic-
may be wrong

I like Ray Repp- Phil K does at least one of his tunes.

OH - yeah another Great CCM Artist...
Jim Muglia.

04-22-2004 12:37 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Vox Robotica
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpg

Registration Date: 06-19-2003

quote:
Yes he is...he converted just like Rich Mullins was about to. You can also add First Call to that list.

Only because I'm obsessive and stuff, I went to the Michael Card Website and looked all over for an endorsement of the Catholic Faith by him. The only mention of denomination that I can find is that he's a reformed Presbyterian, and last I checked, that ain't Catholic. Big Grin

But hey, I've been wrong before.

Big Grin

~ Vox

P.S. - Maybe God took Rich home before he made the full switch to save him all the trouble. Ya think?

"The systems fail
All the circuits blown
And the message lost in this machine oh

04-22-2004 13:33 Vox Robotica is offline Send an Email to Vox Robotica Homepage of Vox Robotica Search for Posts by Vox Robotica Add Vox Robotica to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr YIM Account Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr View the MSN Profile for Vox Robotica
Pages (14): « first ... « previous 10 11 [12] 13 14 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Passion Of The Christ

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH