Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Lost Dogs DVD rocks » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (7): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 7 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Lost Dogs DVD rocks 4 Votes - Average Rating: 8.504 Votes - Average Rating: 8.504 Votes - Average Rating: 8.504 Votes - Average Rating: 8.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Richard Noggin
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 08-06-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

lost dogs dvd rocks... enough said! Cool

08-08-2003 17:47 Richard Noggin is offline Send an Email to Richard Noggin Search for Posts by Richard Noggin Add Richard Noggin to your Buddy List
zippetydoodaddy zippetydoodaddy is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-29-2003
Location: Lust is the craving for salt of a man who is dying of thirst. - F.B.

Richard?? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I half expected you to make a crack about it being a regional hit.

August 2005
08-08-2003 17:52 zippetydoodaddy is offline Send an Email to zippetydoodaddy Homepage of zippetydoodaddy Search for Posts by zippetydoodaddy Add zippetydoodaddy to your Buddy List
Slappedhard
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 07-20-2003

"Ditto" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
Too true. I hope you don't mind me saying jeffery, but I've used this DVD to turn a lot of people on...to the dogs Big Grin

I'm no film critic, just love the music. I have also shared this DVD with a brother in Christ who listens only to secular country who needs to listen to a christian band. He was impressed.
08-08-2003 17:52 Slappedhard is offline Send an Email to Slappedhard Search for Posts by Slappedhard Add Slappedhard to your Buddy List
Nez Nez is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 06-16-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

btw, I never got the pressing of the question of "why Chicago"...cuz the answer seemed kind of obvious...they were there. That where it happened to come together. Plus...it's Chicago. Smile

Oh yeah...it was the Lost Dog's list...not the 77's...but why no Roe? Derry and Terry...but no Mike CD...you got something against the Doc??? Wink
08-08-2003 17:53 Nez is offline Send an Email to Nez Homepage of Nez Search for Posts by Nez Add Nez to your Buddy List
Richard Noggin
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 08-06-2003

quote:
Originally posted by zippetydoodaddy
I half expected you to make a crack about it being a regional hit.

but why chicago? Confused

Roll Eyes

Big Grin

08-08-2003 17:54 Richard Noggin is offline Send an Email to Richard Noggin Search for Posts by Richard Noggin Add Richard Noggin to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
Nez=Peter?

Nada. Nez = Thom. Check his URL....

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
08-08-2003 18:37 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

quote:
Originally posted by carl
quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
Nez=Peter?

Nada. Nez = Thom. Check his URL....

no.... peter has never posted on the damb....
i've invited him to, but we scare him.... Big Grin

Cool
08-08-2003 18:40 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Nez
Derry and Terry...but no Mike CD...you got something against the Doc??? Wink

Hopefully a CD with Mike would happen at some point. Mike seems to release stuff on his own enough that it just hasn't come up I guess. Something like that anyway. I was kicking around an idea to pitch to him last fall, but I got too busy with everything else. Maybe next year. (This one is already sort of filling up..) Big Grin

jeffrey

08-08-2003 18:52 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

A lot of this stuff is relative to the perspective
of who is saying it.

From the perspective of someone who has put money into
a project to help Terry or any other struggling artist
put something out to make some money and pay their bills,
it seems horribly damaging (not to you but to Terry)
for someone to go send a mass message to the main customers
of Terry's highly criticizing the work and possibly
reducing it's sales.

We've been accused of being defensive on occassion,
what people don't often realize is we are not defending
ourselves. We are trying to protect DA, 77's and the Lost Dogs career. Not that they need us to help protect them,
but if we are trying to help them we sure don't want someone
singlehandedly undoing all our work.

We helped Fingerprint put out some CDs once to help
Mark Heard's widow and daughter with bills after he passed
on. We put a lot of work and money into it, as well as did other people. How defensive do you think we would have
been had someone gone on the Orphans of God list and said'
"This CD is crap don't buy it."? Should we just sit back
and let that go by? Them would of been fightin' words..
not that we have such thin skin, but for the cause in which
the releases were done.

The pen is mightier than the sword, and people just don't
realize the damage they can do with a few simple words.

There is a difficult balance there as well, a lot of critics
do not want to be seen as like CCM has been in the past
where every album review basically said this is the greatest
christian album ever, you should own this. So, to be more
'fair' they actually try very hard to find something to criticize. Which then makes them look like they are trying too hard and nit-picking.

These opinions are merely generalizations, and not meant to
be referring to Peter's posts per se. More from our own experiences, a lot of people just don't see a lot of the decisions that go on behind the scenes. You literally would
be amazed at the thought process behind Brian Heydn's artwork for the 77's albums. Each picture in "Golden Fields"
had a story behind it and why it went with the rest of the artwork. Releases are not just slapped together without any thought, I know Jeffery put a lot of work and thought into
the DVD. The band themselves were involved and a film crew,
the management, etc. And considering the difficulty of
actually getting something completed I think it turned out
extremely well. Something every Terry, Mike and Derri fan
should own.

j & e

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-09-2003 23:09 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by dorfsmith

thanks for that. Very well said.

08-09-2003 23:14 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
SoulishPicturePoster(SPP)
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 06-18-2003

08-09-2003 23:56 SoulishPicturePoster(SPP) is offline Search for Posts by SoulishPicturePoster(SPP) Add SoulishPicturePoster(SPP) to your Buddy List
Squidzit
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-629.jpg

Registration Date: 05-14-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Noggin

Roll Eyes

Big Grin

Jeffrey K. is FROM Chicago. I'm from Chicago. Driver8 is from Chicago. What more reason does anyone need? Peter wants one from LA or wherever he's from, tell HIM to make a dvd. Then WE will be the critics. Before Jeffrey K. did this there was no dvd to criticize!! We should thank J.K. for his efforts. I've heard the people that put together these BBQS talking about all the work that it took to make them happen. Commander, Zippy? Were the BBQS a lot of work? Can you imagine what Jeffrey K. had to do? Enjoy the dvd, don't like it? Make your own!

Cool

~Groucho~
08-10-2003 20:40 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

quote:
Originally posted by Squidzit
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Noggin

Roll Eyes

Big Grin

Jeffrey K. is FROM Chicago. I'm from Chicago. Driver8 is from Chicago. What more reason does anyone need? Peter wants one from LA or wherever he's from, tell HIM to make a dvd. Then WE will be the critics. Before Jeffrey K. did this there was no dvd to criticize!! We should thank J.K. for his efforts. I've heard the people that put together these BBQS talking about all the work that it took to make them happen. Commander, Zippy? Were the BBQS a lot of work? Can you imagine what Jeffrey K. had to do? Enjoy the dvd, don't like it? Make your own!

Cool

i think richard was being sarcastic.... Wink

but peter wasn't.. and he's from vancouver b.c.. btw.. Big Grin

Cool
08-10-2003 20:42 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Squidzit
Platyhelminth

Yeah I know Dick was, but I was answering Peter.

Confused

Nice names.

Tongue

~Groucho~
08-10-2003 20:44 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

peter has never posted on the damb.... i've invited him to on the dadl....
but we scare him! Pleased

Cool
08-10-2003 20:49 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Squidzit
Platyhelminth

We should!!

~Groucho~
08-10-2003 20:55 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

quote:
Originally posted by Squidzit

Cool

My impression is that Peters question was generated from the fact he (at that point) did not know the connection with Jeffrey K., the Dogs and Chicago.

Chicago to him did not seem like an "Americana" music playing city. Jeffrey and others pointed out to him the many many connections between the Dogs and the windy city.

I think it's a valid point. I had read how Jeffrey is from Chicago and so to me that is the logic as to why that city. But of all the places they toured to, Chicago would not have been the first to come to mind a more country place perhaps.

And I do agree with Peter on another point - with the train images it is a shame they did not have Ghost Train to Nowhere or Bullet Train. (I think Jeffrey answered that question with a comment long the lines of 'the video image was not good enough' and so I agree with Jeffrey too.)

I hope this fence I am sitting on isn't a picket fence or I'll get a perforated posterior. Big Grin

To me... the end result of the Chicago images and the candles and the black/white & colour I love it.

I am using the DVD to try to convert the musical heathens over here Smile

08-10-2003 21:15 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Squidzit
Platyhelminth

The music, the music, the music!! It's all about the music!!

Gonna stand my ground, for all the world to see
Look up and notice me, my hair points to the sky
The place I want to be -Home Permanent-

~Groucho~
08-10-2003 22:22 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
FaintScentsOfSewage
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 09-26-2002

The criticism of the chicago footage boggles the mind.
08-10-2003 23:31 FaintScentsOfSewage is offline Send an Email to FaintScentsOfSewage Search for Posts by FaintScentsOfSewage Add FaintScentsOfSewage to your Buddy List
Coal Ridge
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 05-09-2003

All right. First off, where are the Lost Dogs from? Are they from Arkansas? Mississippi? Missouri? Kentucky? Last time I checked, they had roots firmly planted in ... California. Southern - I hasten to add - California. (Yes, Derri now resides in Tennessee, but I didn't hear any accent last time I saw him.)

Honestly, the imagery used in the DVD could have just as easily been Los Angeles, Flagstaff, Muncie Indiana, whatever. It just doesn't matter. The "train" imagery is not "train" imagery: it is the El, people - the quintessential Chicago mode of transport, and a most appropriate image for a Chicago-based production.

As far as criticism in general is concerned, there is criticism and then there is goofy, weird, mystery-agenda-driven angst. This is, I'm afraid, all too typical behavior for the hyper-cool, pseudo-Christian media lover-haters: cry and cry for something of real substance, and then tear it down when something a little too close to it comes along. Why? I don't exactly know, but I've seen it time and time again. It's some sort of insecurity, I think, but I can't put my finger on it. A critic's job is to somehow objectively critique a piece of work based on his or her own subjective persuasions: not an easy job, I'll grant you. However, I don't recall Roger Ebert going out of his way to spew vitriol across multiple message boards, or employ heavy-handed and oh-so-clever condescending asides as though his very survival as a critic was on the line.

Is the DVD perfect? No. Is it wrong for someone to not fall in love with it? Of course not. However, "why Chicago" is not a valid criticism, nor are several other comments I've heard. It's a concert DVD, for goodness sake. You may as well criticize it for having a poor plot or a sub-standard script: it simply doesn't make any sense. You might as well criticize a flower for being so nada flowery: it is what it is. Maybe you just don't like flowers, but that makes your criticism of flowers highly suspect, no? I think there are other issues at play here besides a legitimate, honest critque of a concert DVD: something under the surface.
08-11-2003 10:50 Coal Ridge is offline Send an Email to Coal Ridge Search for Posts by Coal Ridge Add Coal Ridge to your Buddy List
Pages (7): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 7 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Lost Dogs DVD rocks

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH