Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Swirling Eddies - Zoom Daddy » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Swirling Eddies - Zoom Daddy 13 Votes - Average Rating: 6.08
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
bigdork.2
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-231.jpg

Registration Date: 11-22-2004

Swirling Eddies - Zoom Daddy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

if you are wondering about carl, he has a blog here:
http://burninglight.motime.com/

Olly oxen free...

So here we are, at last. And we're going even longer today. Like, really long. Like, "let's see if motime's got a word limit" long.

But first, let's recap one more time where we've journeyed over the last few months:

#10 - Television. Marquee Moon and Adventure.
#9 - Public Image Ltd. Second Edition.
#8 - The Waterboys. Fisherman's Blues.
#7 - The Velvet Underground. The Velvet Underground (3rd album).
#6 - Genesis. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.
#5 - Vigilantes of Love. Slow Dark Train.
#4 - John Lennon. Plastic Ono Band.
#3 - The Kinks... Are the Village Green Preservation Society.
#2 - Big Star. 3rd/Sister Lovers/Beale Street Green.

So (again), in a list already populated by the likes of Johns Lennon & Rotten, Ray Davies, Lou Reed and Peter Gabriel, why do I now turn to place a songwriter and his ragtag band -- rejected even by the same lame genre (t)he(y) helped create -- atop our pedestal?

For the much fuller story, by all means visit Andre Salles' Tuesday Morning 3 a.m. site (also at left), and this link in particular: http://tm3am.com/article_extra_tst.htm. The shorter version goes something like this:

Daniel Amos (a band, not a person -- a la Pink Floyd, only based on Old Testament prophets instead of latter-day blues singers) got its start in Southern California in the mid-'70s, beginning with an Eagles-style sound, a theological self-inflation that Jesus People gobbled up, and a first eponymous album that was basically disowned by its creators not too long thereafter. (I still think "Don't Light Your Own Fire" is the best song from the first three albums, though.) The second album, Shotgun Angel, introduced some neat Beatles-like touches and generally was a quantum leap from the first album, but still duly kicked Firefall's butt and kept the fan base happy.

The unsettlement -- and veering off into "dat debbil music" -- began with the third and very transitional album, the mostly appropriately named Horrendous Disk. By this time, the band was clearly now the vehicle of founding member Terry Scott Taylor -- a fact that would become a lot clearer after they got out from under the mighty thumb of this album's producer, one Larry Norman (aka the self-proclaimed "Christian Bob Dylan," prompting T-Bone Burnett to quip sometime later that God got so tired of hearing it that He had no choice but to save the real Dylan). But I digress.

The genius of Taylor/DA -- and the advent of a years-long effort to complete alienate their original fan base -- at last emerged with the four albums that followed, collectively called The Alarma Chronicles. Part sci-fi series, even bigger part satire, and yet an entirely new-wave theological treatise that baldly wore its influences on its sleeve, respectively covering the irresponsibility/indifference of the Church (Alarma!), the turning of the knife inward to address the author's own irresponsibility/indifference (Doppelganger), the threat of technology against humanity or anything that looks like it (Vox Humana), and, at last, reunion with God (Fearful Symmetry)....

....the author's self-flagellation for his perceived failure in communicating the latter message resulting in what many consider the band's best (and yet worst-selling) album, Darn Floor Big Bite. Far from being an album that triumphantly sings God's praises, the music is correspondingly raw, edgy, and near-desperate in its attempts to achieve any degree of communicate, either to or from God -- "Language is weak, but I keep on speaking," Terry declares on "The Unattainable Earth." (The album's title comes courtesy of Koko the Gorilla, describing an earthquake in sign language. Terry renders the phrase a metaphor for our own inability to describe/reach God. Gee, wonder why the American Church Triumphant didn't embrace this one?)

Cut to a few years (and several DA/Terry solo albums) later. A mysterious album, which could best be described as Christian lyrics couched in painfully clever funky frat-house music, appears: Let's Spin. The band is an unidentified bunch called The Swirling Eddies. (Well, they're identified, but with names like Camarillo Eddy, Spot, and Berger Roy Al, it's pretty clear that we're dealing with aliases.) A "Guess the Eddies" contest soon follows, and sometime thereafter our heroes are identified.

(If anyone else is thinking XTC/Dukes of Stratosphear here, you're tracking along great -- I've called DA the Christian XTC on any number of occasions. Musically it's remarkably apt; and obviously both Terry Taylor and Andy Partridge share a God obsession, even though it's from directly opposite sides of the coin.)

Of COURSE, Let's Spin goes on to be their best seller since Shotgun Angel.

Never one to shy away from offending the powers-that-be-CCM (or TBN as well, in this case), the Eddies respond to their newly rediscovered success with Outdoor Elvis, an album that makes the most sarcastic moments from The Alarma Chronicles tame by comparison. (OK, "Autographs for the Sick" still more than holds its own here.) A bloody brilliant album, wherein the rock is rockier, the funk funkier, and the weirdness... well, weirder. All while fighting the system from the inside, with declarations ranging from "I'm just a cynic talking 'bout a white-bleached sepulcher" to "I don't want speak.... interface or link.... with yer little Gawd" to berating a Church who "want to believe the worst / but they'll believe in anything / shoot their own wounded / sacrifice their offspring," destroys its heroes as quickly as it builds them up ("Let's all kill the giants of Tiny Town"), and just plain does the nadaedest things, and usually when the cameras are directly on them ("The face of Saint Paul in this butt roast / Assures me that I'm going up to heaven").

You'd have to go 250 years back to Dean Jonathan Swift to get Christian satire this good, my friends, and yet so much more. How else does an album that not only features the most heartfelt love song Terry's ever written, IMHO ("Blowing Smoke") and a dead-serious and affecting acoustic tribute to Billy Graham but also the indescribably obnoxious "Attack of the Pulpit Masters" ("moneymoneymoneymoneymoneyforministrymoneyforsatellitesmoneymoneymoney"), the Barbie-Dreamdoll-on-acid-meets-Revelation "Mystery Babylon," "Arthur Fhardy's Yodeling Party" - which is exactly what it sounds like, the perfect Britpop of the title song and "Driving in England" (taking verbal two-by-fours to idolatry and conformity, respectively), et al., somehow hold together as a perfect tour-de-storm-the-gates-of-heaven-by-force?

And of course, it also featured the song guaranteed they'd never play this CCM town again, "Hide the Beer, the Pastor's Here," a hysterical anti-hypocrisy tirade that sticks in your head like bubblegum (just try not saying "BOB Jooooooooooooooones" or "Bi-oooooooooooo-la" after hearing this) and concludes with a two-minute-long laundry list of Christian colleges with anti-alcohol (but not anti-pride) policies. (Apparently some colleges were also offended that they didn't make the list.)

The album's closer, "Elimination," goes on to answer the band's less-than-imagined critics ("Shut up.... Go to hell.... Get a job... Retire") with, "We're the band that won't go away." Nonetheless, the album pretty much guaranteed that all but the hardcore fans would. And did.

For all that, Outdoor Elvis was literally everything you could have possibly imagined of a Terry Taylor/DA creation - musically off the wall, lyrically take-no-prisoners, and somehow still able to remind you that God was in control ("Bounce him off the rubber sky / And he'll come back to taunt you / A slingshot snap, brings you back / A lover's eyes still haunt you").

And yet, now that the unattainable earth had been completely scorched, the next album had no choice but to go places you couldn't imagine. According to firsthand accounts from the band, members were encouraged to come up with the most off-the-wall song titles imaginable, then Terry & Co. would write the lyrics to accompany them. And the band somehow manages to come up with music to accompany that. And yet, all roads somehow still lead, if not drag you forcibly, back to God. It certainly is the easiest way to explain how the album opens with a song called "I Had a Bad Experience With the C.I.A., and Now I'm Gonna Show You My Feminine Side." And to thereafter explain how that becomes rendered a lyrical treatise on how the mystery of love is best transmitted in secret. And how there's almost no point in trying to describe what it sounds like. Heck, it even explains why Terry looks like a dead ringer for Roy Wood on the cover of this puppy.

Enough already. Our #1 album:

(continued in next post)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by bigdork.2: 03-31-2006 16:50.

03-31-2006 16:49 bigdork.2 is offline Send an Email to bigdork.2 Search for Posts by bigdork.2 Add bigdork.2 to your Buddy List
bigdork.2
Woolly Eggwhisk

Thread Starter Thread Started by bigdork.2
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

#1. The Swirling Eddies. Zoom Daddy.

Another interesting twist is that the aliases have been dispensed with here. The Swirling Eddies were now officially and openly: Terry Taylor (vocals, guitar), fellow founding DA member Jerry Chamberlain (guitar), literal rocket-scientist (just ask NASA) Greg Flesch (guitar, piano), the late great Gene Eugene of the band Adam Again (keyboards, piano), bass mammoth Tim Chandler (whose peers can be counted on Phil Keaggy's left hand), and drummer David Raven (for some reason founding and continuing DA drummer Ed McTaggart largely didn't participate in the Eddies' pantheon, but Dave turns in a great job here & elsewhere).

Also, this isn't an original thought (thank Fred Sanders, Great Books professor at Biooooooola, for this one), but this album really is the answer to Darn Floor Big Bite. Wherein a half-dozen years earlier, Terry agonized over the ultimate unknowability/indescribability of God, the response to that mystery is written all over this album, in the form and the person of the Incarnation.
It really is the perfect Easter album. And you still have time to get it.

And now for the songs:

The eery, loopy "...C.I.A...." has already been introduced, but it's worth noting that from the opening notes, Chandler makes this album his... well, I can't say it here, but it's a good thing. Having the privilege (and I mean privilege) of exchanging words with him on a number of occasions, I've joked (seriously) that I don't think he's as good as Bruce Thomas, but honestly, that's really about it (and, in fact, you'd have to go back to Elvis and the Attractions' Imperial Bedroom , The Who's Quadrophenia, or far too many Yes albums, to hear a bass player own an album like Chandler does here).

(BTW, I say this not just to suck up. Even Tim (byrnes, that is) can tell you from personal experience that Chandler's as good a guy as he is a bass player. Why he wastes his time with The Choir is beyond me. But at least he got a Grammy nomination out of it.)

But really (and anyway...), the album's only getting warmed up.

It takes a big step forward on "Mr. Sharky." Really, how many songs -- let alone on a "Christian" album -- give props to Charles Bukowski? (OK.... besides Modest Mouse.) But there you are. A song about temptation, and how it always wants more, and always takes more than it gives or even promises:

mr. sharky and the boys are getting restless
they've got junky eyes, and i'm another fix
sharky likes to hear me beg for second chances
so he can tell me that he'll fix it in the mix...
it's a feeding frenzy
we're all fat and friendly
they've got the cash to lend me now
and i've still got some dreams
but it's a cordial slaughter
and gettin' harder and harder
to keep treadin' on in the dangerous waters
and to keep my own nose clean
so fatten up, boys!

Some great screams by Terry on that last line, by the way. So far, things are serious but still fun. And the fun factor gets upped a couple notches on the next song, "Disco Love Grapes," probably the partyingest song about communion y'r even going to hear. Again, some great funky bass by Chandler, and some neat angular guitar (from Flesch?), as Terry invites us all to come join the celebration: "pick some love grapes - drink a little wine from the fruit of the vine / grow love grapes - everybody's gassed, saved the best for last / stomp love grapes - pick a bottle up, fill another man's cup..."

Things turn decidedly dour with the next song, "Nightmare at the Elks Lodge." As opposed to the eternal party of "Disco Love Grapes" is the, um, world party here, that seems like an eternal sigh and sounding every bit of it here. Wine glasses clink over a dreary arrangement as Terry moans, "last request.... the party is ooooooooover now...." Basically, you'll either love the concept and roll with it, or hate the claustrophobic sound collapsing on itself and want out long before the song's over. Again, some great interaction between the bass and guitar on the "chorus," where the invitation is once again extended, even here:

balloons are sad and deflated
the dancing feet tired and numb
the banners and lights have all faded
the party is over and done
and angels, they tap at the windows
their taxis are parked at the curb
and safely back home they will take you
if you would just say the word
say the word

"The Golden Girl of the Golden West" revisits Outdoor Elvis' "Mystery Babylon" and promptly gives her a bumpy limo ride to LA, wherein she jiggles all the way through. About as vitriolic as this album gets, and one of many songs where the lyrical wordplay spills out like Elvis Costello in a meth lab:

She's a corporation raider on the sports bar beat
A giant dodging 49er with two athletes feet....
An earth-shaking quaker with a fundamental flair
There's a method to her madness in that presbytery stare...
She a golden girl, of the Golden West
A liposuckin' diva with a saline chest....

And again, the subject matter gets flipped over on its ear, as the album gets dead-serious -- if still bordering on the bizarre -- in a hurry. We swing from the Whore of Babylon (either literally or figurativelt) to (and where else WOULD we go, given our incarnational subject matter?), the "Sweet Mother of God." The words continue to spill in some form of (to again quote Fred Sanders) "freakishly erudite" glossolalia that captures everything good and bad (and obviously we're not just talking Christian/non-Christian but the deep division of Protestant/Catholic over Mary) and once you're completely rolled over, still leaves you to decide what the heck to do with all of it:

monumental apparition
ornamental grave beautitian
satirized and patronized
undersized and glamourized
matriarchal wisdom seat
sentimental paraclete...

Bride and the groom, sun and the moon
altar queen wonder, suffering lover, covering buffer, hovering mother
blessing and testing, confessing and pressing, inerrant, transparent, domestic, majestic
idyllic, angelic, filling, dispelling, foretelling, compelling, instilling, indwelling
favoring, laboring, savoring, flavoring, healing us, sealing us, stealing us, leading us
ponder her, honor her, venerate, magistrate, bond to her, long for her, sing to her, cling to her

And I'm not so sure there's anything wrong with her.

And no, there's won't be any air to come up for just yet. Just when it couldn't get heavier, it does. "The Twist," which closes Side One, is basically The Passion of the Christ in musical form, filtered through the Chubby Checker metaphor as metal opera and directed right at YOU, whoever you are. But especially the church.

Then look me in the face
At least what's left of it
Tell me that you love me, just a little bit
Or nail me down, break the skin
Hard enough to do me in
But don't leave me hanging, dying, dangling, twisting in the wind...

And when the sun grows dim
This will be your sign and wonder
That soon we'll meet again
Just like we did last summer (remember that?)

Yikes.

(continued in next post)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by bigdork.2: 03-31-2006 16:53.

03-31-2006 16:51 bigdork.2 is offline Send an Email to bigdork.2 Search for Posts by bigdork.2 Add bigdork.2 to your Buddy List
bigdork.2
Woolly Eggwhisk

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Side Two, naturally, opens with a polka. A really happy polka. With yet more stomping Chandler bass.

"God Went Bowling" is beyond a delight. It's no mistake that when the opportunity came to participate in a DA fan tribute album, this is the song I picked. (And several people actually said they "got" it for the first time after hearing the more stripped-down version.) Sorry, no mp3s online anymore, although you can see the clips from the "video" (with complete lyrics) here: http://www.bubbs.biola.edu/~fred.sanders/godbowling.htm.

The basic message -- and really, the most important one I can offer you -- is: God took a chance on us, and still does. The bridge still gives me chills (of the good kind) just typing it:

We want an infinite meddler, a fix-it-quick man
But he gets off his high horse, gets dirt on his hands
And he woos us like a lover, through each bloody cessation
And hangs on the cross with the rest of creation.

"Multipurpose Man" returns to the big-time wordplay, as well as to the Doppelganger theme of our own duplicity and how we try to stuff God into the same box we put ourselves in. "I'm your very own, living multipurpose man / Your cowardly lion and blemished lamb / And I'll be saved and I'll be nadaed..."

"Pyro Sets a Wildfire" would be the "single" here, such as it is. Kicking off with a "Honky Tonk Women" drum intro, it's somewhere between an genuine apology and a not-so-subtle declaration that the singer'd probably do it all again, given the chance:

i never meant to trip the minefield hidden here in paradise (put stink weed in the bouquet)
i never meant to fire a lethal weapon or to terrorize (put poison in the buffet)...
i never meant to cut my tender fingers on your angel hair (put the sawdust in the gas tank)
i never meant to hide tacks in the cushion of your mercy chair (make a brother walk the gangplank)

i've maybe taken too much on
naiveté and youth is gone
but at least the juice is still turned on
i'm dancing on a live wire
i've summoned up a thunder cloud
i always meant to do you proud
still certain things are not allowed
like setting off a wildfire
wild-fire....

"Some Friendly Advice" would be my least favorite here - as opposed to the lyrics elsewhere, the laundry list here is basically just that. Still, there's DA/Eddies fans who obsess over it, going as far as take up the suggestion in the band's liner notes to do as many of the 200+ activities here as possible - anywhere from picking your nose to feeding the hungry to milking a cow, going to confession, walking around nude, to eating a corn fritter. It's basically a goofy encouragement to stop and smell the roses: "Something that you wouldn't ordinarily do / Something just a little bit different for you / Like forgiving a friend, and an enemy too...." And, as I've said enough times elsewhere in this list, it's a (in this case, proscribed) time to catch your breath, before the charge to the end.

And I mean THE End. The last three songs are nothing more and nothing less for a cry for God to drop the nada curtain already.

And the charge starts with "Art Carney's Dream." Indescribable. But I guess I have to try anyway. Over a funky melo-opera, with some driving climbing guitar along for the ride, Terry presents a rather unique vision of heaven and what his arrival would appear like:

I saw the humble and the meek passing by with the proud and important
but I kept my distance from them 'cos I smelled like Ed Norton
and I kept cutting my feet on the blades of sharp diamond grass
and all the sick and indecent things I'd done went by in just a flash...

then I caught sight of you, and your beauty broke my heart
I hung back in the deep shadows 'cos I was stinking to high heaven
well what could I do - your beauty broke my heart
wanted to crawl back in my manhole then, 'cos I was stinking to high heaven

well I admired the fine clothes of all the saints that were passing by
in their pretty chiffon gowns, their wings and their silk suits and ties
their language was a foreign tongue, maybe Latin or Greek
but all the prayers I whispered there to you were stupid, obscene and weak

then I got this idea to cover myself in a thorny bush disguise
and laying low I crept along the shores of the river of life
I saw a wondrous city of pure crystal with its streets all made of gold
and then I smoked a camel cigarette and shivered there in the cold

I turned around and saw a beautiful mansion all going up in flames
there was a stone sign in the front yard and on it someone had carved my name
and the angels rolled out a fire hose they were tryin' to save the place
I felt they could probably use my help, but I didn't dare show my face

and when the smoke had cleared, I cried out when I saw that everything was lost
there was no mansion anymore, just a single wooden cross
then an angel tapped me on the shoulder; he said "boy, you sure do smell like sin
and this place is pretty crowded, but I think we can squeeze you in"

then I caught sight of you, and your beauty broke my heart....

If this puppy doesn't chill you to the bottom of yr spine, you probably stopped listening (and reading) awhile back anyway. So since we're alone now, dear friend, let's see this through to the end, shall we?

The dream gives way to "Holy Holy Holy." Far from being the ancient (but nonetheless cool) hymn, it's a declaration tearing down the curtain between the sacred and profane that've done William Blake proud. Safely back on earth, the vision and what exactly to do with it continues:

i was feeling kind of haggard, low, and shadowy
like a ghost involved in assault and battery
just a figment of my own dark imagination
hangin' around backstage for an invitation to
walk the streets of light in new jerusalem
see what in my dreams at night, she had always been...

it's holy - and still a book
I believe it's holy - and still the sky
it's holy - and still tap water
holy, holy, holy

i caught a glimpse of something in someone else's eyes
there in the least likely face, of someone i despised
a trace of new beginnings, when tears are cried no more
and the moment that i knew it, i walked out my prison door
and into golden streets of light in new Jerusalem....

With the title song, the mystery is fully revealed -- "Zoom Daddy" is no more and no less than feminine-side C.I.A. code for "Even so, come Lord Jesus."

Or, if you prefer, the refrain of "olly oxen free" equals "I shall be released."

But not before one more look back. Against the repeated re-introduction of "zoom daddy zoom zoom daddy zoom daddy daddy zoom daddy zoom daddy zoom ..." the plea for delivery becomes increasing focused and distressed, as the song escalates from daily nuisance to personal tragedy to global crisis:

i believe all you've said
i'm tryin' to take your advice
catapult out of my head
rocket to paradise

i'm like my dad (olly oxen free)
this movie's bad (olly oxen free)
i hate that jerk (olly oxen free)
i'm late for work (olly oxen free)...

that child's abused (olly exen free)
those eyes are bruised (olly oxen free)...

under a spell (olly oxen free)
feeling like hell (olly oxen free)
disease and war (olly oxen free)
can't take no more (olly oxen free)

But just like its Revelatory source, we don't end with the bad stuff, and the album ends with -- call it what it is -- a declaration of triumph and an invitation for everyone to show up and join in:

no pain no fear (zoom daddy)
the coast is clear (zoom daddy)
the end is near (zoom daddy)
the time is here (olly oxen free)

Tunnels do have ends, you know. That's why they're not called caves. This album has leveled me emotionally, spiritually, intellectually for that matter, any number of times, and more than likely will do so again sometime soon. Easter IS coming, you know.

So go explore the ridiculously prolific catalogue of Terry Taylor and Friends (DA, Eddies, solo, Lost Dogs, et al.) and help the guy pay off his mortgage. The easiest place to do so (and the place that'll net them the most buckage) is danielamos.com.

And until we meet again: Zoom, Daddy.

03-31-2006 16:52 bigdork.2 is offline Send an Email to bigdork.2 Search for Posts by bigdork.2 Add bigdork.2 to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

I was really hoping Carl would give us some clues as to how he feels about the band and recordings--is he holding back for something??

(he heeee)

We luvs ya Carl(s)

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-31-2006 17:21 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

You expect people on this board to read a post that long? Roll Eyes

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-31-2006 17:43 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
bigdork.2
Woolly Eggwhisk

quote:
Originally posted by audiori

I hate long posts more than anyone... but once you start reading it, it's hard to stop.

(hey, he posted it a week ago. it took me that long to decide to read the whole thing Tongue )

03-31-2006 17:46 bigdork.2 is offline Send an Email to bigdork.2 Search for Posts by bigdork.2 Add bigdork.2 to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by bigdork.ORG
quote:

I hate long posts more than anyone... but once you start reading it, it's hard to stop.

(hey, he posted it a week ago. it took me that long to decide to read the whole thing Tongue )

I'm just teasin.. Long posts are ok. I really don't know why anyone has a problem with them at all. Sometimes it's necessary to be able to say everything that you want to say.. it's certainly better than saying something really short and then having people ask you to get more specific a hundred times.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-31-2006 17:59 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

Question Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

this from a townsend? Tongue

bobd

03-31-2006 22:32 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
Administrator

My point exactly... This is at least three times longer than any post a Townsend has ever made... we write a single paragraph and people say it's too long to read so, for some of these folks, reading this has to feel like torture. Roll Eyes

03-31-2006 23:18 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I don't like this quote from carl's story (the part I bolded):

"So go explore the ridiculously prolific catalogue of Terry Taylor and Friends (DA, Eddies, solo, Lost Dogs, et al.) and help the guy pay off his mortgage. The easiest place to do so (and the place that'll net them the most buckage) is danielamos.com. (Do yrself a favor and stay otherwise clear of the management, though.)"

Like this is really going to help the band...

Has he not learned about the forgiveness that Christ taught?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Mark: 04-02-2006 15:09.

04-02-2006 15:06 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Administrator

Heh, didn't even see that. Was this written a long time ago? What management? Terry's managing himself at the moment... hmm....

Or, I guess he means the "store management?" Technically, that would have been the same as the regular management prior to 2004.. but I assume he means us. Roll Eyes In that case it's another very public and equally puzzling log on the fire of Carl's bewildering hatred of people he doesn't know. *shrug* Especially strange considering the conversation we had with him two tears ago.

04-02-2006 16:01 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Yes, I don't know when it was written. I guess I didn't read the date. But yes, I would assume he's talking about you. Sad, very sad indeed. And what does he think it's going to do to the band? I mean, he raves about one of their CD's, but then slams "the management". Could this not possibly scare aware some people who are afraid to buy it for fear they could lose their money. Outside people have no idea what he means. He also takes a cheap shot at The Choir. Frown

04-02-2006 16:36 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Administrator

Looks new...

Yeah, thats a concern as well. Putting aside everything else thats wrong with it, it's sort of like saying "go buy stuff from this band, but don't give them any money." It sends a confusing message to people at best.

...as if refusing to buy from the store is doing something to us. It of course doesn't do anything to us. Ignoring for a moment the strangeness of someone we don't know wanting to hurt us in the first place.. he fails to realize that the store is Terry. The 77s store is Mike, Mark & Bruce. They get every dime (minus expenses) and they have access to the bank accounts to see where every dime goes. We wouldn't want it any other way.

It was a little different when Warm&Filled was around of course.. but, since W&F shut down, Mike & Terry also went back and looked at where every dime went in those years as well. I know he didn't like things like the promised "Orbis" slip case.. but that, and other similar promises, were made by W&F, not us. I think he just wants to blame us for stuff that he's unhappy with whether it makes sense or not.

I don't know... I've given up trying to figure it out. If he isn't going to bring whatever it is to us directly, theres nothing we can do about it. I'd guess that some of you have a better idea of what is problem is than we do.. you certainly hear more about it than we do. Any idea at all would be more than we know. Whatever the problem is that he has, it's his alone at this point. It's 'sad. It's not healthy.. spritually or physically, but thats the way he wants it I guess.

04-02-2006 16:41 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

Zoom Daddy is one of my faves of all-time.
I noticed that it's up for bid at eBay for a very reasonable price.

If you don't have this on CD, may your bidding begin:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zoom-Daddy-Swirling-...1QQcmdZViewItem

05-21-2007 16:25 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

well, since carl isn't here to defend himself ...

i can say that honestly I can see some pigheadedness and unreasonableness on both sides of that fence. i don't entirely understand it either, nor do I want to ... Frown

but it won't stop me from buying from the store ... Smile

hopefully in another month or two we'll have some more spare buckage ... Frown

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
05-21-2007 20:34 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan

... it won't stop me from buying from the store ... Smile

I think it may be out of stock. Confused

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 05-21-2007 21:25.

05-21-2007 21:25 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
well, since carl isn't here to defend himself ...

Remember... we weren't on his blog to defend ourselves either... (not that there was ever anything being said here that was the equivalent to what was said there). But, his blog was posted here.. so, response is fair game. I also dont know about "sides" at all... as far as I'm concerned, it is completely one sided and we want no part of it. We've went to him to try to resolve whatever it is more than once and were shot down every time.

Regardless, this little conversation was from more than a year ago. No need to start it up again.

05-21-2007 21:33 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

agreed. enuff said. Smile

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
05-22-2007 11:11 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

quote:
Originally posted by peawinkel

8 hours left........
& still at a most reasonable price

05-23-2007 10:47 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
snowblind snowblind is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 01-29-2007

quote:
quote:

8 hours left........
& still at a most reasonable price

'Tis mine! Cool Big Grin
05-23-2007 22:14 snowblind is offline Homepage of snowblind Search for Posts by snowblind Add snowblind to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Swirling Eddies - Zoom Daddy

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH