Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Lost Dogs - Island Dreams » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Lost Dogs - Island Dreams 19 Votes - Average Rating: 8.1119 Votes - Average Rating: 8.1119 Votes - Average Rating: 8.11
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
snowblind snowblind is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 01-29-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Paul
I personally was very disapointed and thought it was just a quick put it together so, we'll have something new to sell on the tour. I actually got stuck with two copies!

Yes I know, Steve and Mike really worked hard to add some tracks to a project that had previously been set on the shelf.

But I will let the Dogs speak for themselves, the guys didn't even do one song live from the album the two times I saw them that year.

Anybody need a shrink wrapped unopened copy?

-Paul

How much?
08-02-2007 06:53 snowblind is offline Homepage of snowblind Search for Posts by snowblind Add snowblind to your Buddy List
Phy Phy is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-494.jpg

Registration Date: 02-22-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Huh. I listen to this project as a counter-point to Surfonic Water Revival. I like it for what it is.

08-02-2007 07:28 Phy is offline Send an Email to Phy Homepage of Phy Search for Posts by Phy Add Phy to your Buddy List Add Phy to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Phy: MyriadPhy YIM Account Name of Phy: bio_phy View the MSN Profile for Phy
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

it's good for going to sleep or background music at work....
or if you actually go to an island and relax...
like i did for my honeymoon a few weeks ago..... Big Grin

Cool
08-02-2007 08:50 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

agree all- Island dreams is a breathing excerise..
a very nice breezy project that works great for just what I think they intended it for..to relax and hoist a glass with a lil umbrella in it.

I enjoy it at work- it makes the most excellent muzak one could hope for.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
08-02-2007 08:58 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Thread Starter Thread Started by Audiori J

Yeah I don't really see the Dogs playing any of that live, I think its not really meant as that kind of thing. Its an Island escape, a stop and smell the roses, not a regular Dogs album.

I also think its a little unfair of a description to say it was a "quick put together", I know it was originally a Terry and Derri project for the instrumental series that Phil Keaggy also made some CDs for (Music To Paint By). I am sure they worked hard on it then, and I am sure that Mike Roe, Steve Hindalong and Christine Glass worked hard on their parts as well.

The Dogs themselves might even acknowledge its a departure and to be taken less serious as their own actual albums, but that doesn't mean they didn't work hard on it or think its a fun piece.

08-02-2007 09:15 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J

I also think its a little unfair of a description to say it was a "quick put together", I know it was originally a Terry and Derri project for the instrumental series that Phil Keaggy also made some CDs for (Music To Paint By). I am sure they worked hard on it then, and I am sure that Mike Roe, Steve Hindalong and Christine Glass worked hard on their parts as well.

christine glass-byrd, thank you very much.

marc might not like you leaving that part out Big Grin

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by larryl: 08-02-2007 10:10.

08-02-2007 10:10 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

well -perhaps its a bit harder to defend as a Dogs project- in that it doesnt resemble anything that the Dogs have done before that-it does sound like somethng Terry might compose in the vein of his other "soundscape" ideas (imaginarium,. Neverhood -or even catscratch.)

there is no similar instrumental work like this- and nothing in the Dogs catalog at least that compares to what some call that elevator music style.
That may be what surprised people the most-some first time listeners just didnt hear it as a Dogs project at all.

08-03-2007 23:56 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jamespop jamespop is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

Maybe I'm weird... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

but it doesn't bother me for an artist to stray stylistically. Island Dreams (which I have owned for a grand total of just over 2 weeks) is a good listen. In places it sounds like it could be included on Quinten Tarantino soundtrack It's just that cool. Cool
08-06-2007 13:16 jamespop is offline Send an Email to jamespop Search for Posts by jamespop Add jamespop to your Buddy List
digger digger is a male
Esculent Eskimo

images/avatars/avatar-497.jpg

Registration Date: 07-11-2007
Location: " I caught sight of you and your beauty broke my heart" TST Bobcaygeon,Ont, Canada

When I first got Island Dreams for Christmas 2 years ago I couldn't get into it (burrr too cold). I have just started listening to it again because it's stinking hot and seems more appropriate. Also because I am still awaiting for The Eddies to come and need to fill the void. That said, Island Dreams is a very enjoyable disc. Shame on me for not doing this sooner!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by digger: 08-06-2007 20:43.

08-06-2007 20:37 digger is offline Send an Email to digger Search for Posts by digger Add digger to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for digger
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

quote:
Yeah I don't really see the Dogs playing any of that live, I think its not really meant as that kind of thing. Its an Island escape, a stop and smell the roses, not a regular Dogs album.

The Dogs themselves might even acknowledge its a departure and to be taken less serious as their own actual albums, but that doesn't mean they didn't work hard on it or think its a fun piece.

This makes sense. I love the album, and I love the Phil Keaggy CDs from the Music To Paint By series. This would have made a nice addition to that.
As a "stand alone" Lost Dogs album, it's a great (but very different) album.

07-07-2008 21:47 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

I like Island Dreams a lot.
More so than The Lost Cabin and the Mystery Trees.

07-13-2008 01:51 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

I had a few of the tunes in my mix the other evening.
it really is
ppuurrffeecctt summertime music.

youngest daughter loves Wiki Tiki Aye

(I.D. gets more rotation than LC&MT for me too)

07-22-2008 11:56 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

RE: (I.D. gets more rotation than LC&MT for me too) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You and I may be the only ones! Pleased

07-22-2008 16:30 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

I don't own The Lost Cabin and the Mystery Trees yet, and I listen to Island Dreams often, so, at least for now, I'm with you guys.

07-22-2008 18:36 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

Tongue! RE: (I.D. gets more rotation than LC&MT for me too) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich

well... me too...
only because it's good background muzak to play at work...... Shocked Tongue

bobd

07-22-2008 19:33 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
brother joel brother joel is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-297.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2007

RE: (I.D. gets more rotation than LC&MT for me too) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I play all the Lost Dogs albums at work. Then again, I am the only one in my upstairs office. That said, there are days for a little "Island Dreams" and nights too. (I fell asleep to it the other night). There are also days for the many other sounds the dogs have produced. I would be hard pressed to say I appreciate one album over the other in regards to ID or LC&TMT. They are both beautiful and they are both different. Lately I have listened to Scenic Routes and Little Red Riding Hood more than the others.

Before my heart drowns
Before the hammer pounds
Before the laughter consumes
Before the reaper looms
Before the land swallows
Before I enter the gallows
07-22-2008 20:38 brother joel is offline Search for Posts by brother joel Add brother joel to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

RE: Lately I have listened to Scenic Routes and Little Red Riding Hood more than the others. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Those are the classics! Cool
Those and GRS! Pleased

07-23-2008 05:34 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Shocked RE: (I.D. gets more rotation than LC&MT for me too) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Strange Animal
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich

well... me too...
only because it's good background muzak to play at work...... Shocked Tongue

Nice! Tongue

07-23-2008 05:36 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

I still play Island Dreams a lot. It's great background music. My wife, a caregiver for four-year-olds, playes ID daily during nap time to help the kids sleep, and, appearently, it works pretty well.
While it is mostly Hawaiian (which plays well into the Dog's sound), there are elements of Californian surf, Caribbean and hispanic (Puerto Rico or Mexico?) that are nice touches.
I think a sequel would be cool. Cool

12-27-2008 01:52 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Lost Dogs - Island Dreams

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH