Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? 4 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Maybe I could answer that if you'd just speak.... wait, on second thought, never mind.... Evil

Tongue

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
12-21-2004 09:12 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Registration Date: 02-14-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Wait. I'm Mo Tucker the drummer? THAT Mo Tucker? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAgGGGGgccxxkkk! I'm Mo Tucker! ... ... Why am I Mo Tucker?

12-21-2004 09:15 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Praise 105 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
You heard DA on the radio?Shocked

What station??? Confused

A local station in Hampton Roads, VA. It's a CCM Adult Contemporary station, but they used to have a Saturday night show where they played stuff that the "young persons" might like; most of it was pretty crappy too, but it was alternative rock stuff instead of Sandi Patti. Anyway, the DJ would play stuff that was requested and he actually started a segment called "lost oldie" of the week where he would play old Christian rock from the 70s and 80s.

One night, he played Ordinary-Extraordinary Day (not as a lost oldie, being new). The only time it was ever played, but I was there and heard it. Sometimes, I think maybe God engineered for it to be played that night, because it convinced me to go get MBD. Only time it ever played, and led me to become a TST fan... Cool
12-21-2004 10:07 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Berger Roy Al
quote:
Wait. I'm Mo Tucker the drummer? THAT Mo Tucker? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAgGGGGgccxxkkk! I'm Mo Tucker! ... ... Why am I Mo Tucker?

OK. Fine. Tongue The trash-can thing. You know, her original drum set with the Velvets. If you figured out the whole rest of it , that part should've been easy.... Red Face

Tongue Tongue Tongue

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
12-21-2004 10:29 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Thumb Up! RE: Praise 105 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Eis
quote:

What station??? Confused

A local station in Hampton Roads, VA. It's a CCM Adult Contemporary station, but they used to have a Saturday night show where they played stuff that the "young persons" might like; most of it was pretty crappy too, but it was alternative rock stuff instead of Sandi Patti. Anyway, the DJ would play stuff that was requested and he actually started a segment called "lost oldie" of the week where he would play old Christian rock from the 70s and 80s.

One night, he played Ordinary-Extraordinary Day (not as a lost oldie, being new). The only time it was ever played, but I was there and heard it. Sometimes, I think maybe God engineered for it to be played that night, because it convinced me to go get MBD. Only time it ever played, and led me to become a TST fan... Cool

Very cool!

12-21-2004 11:47 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

RE: Praise 105 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by PuP
quote:
Originally posted by Eis
quote:

What station??? Confused

Very cool!

Awesome story! Pleased

12-21-2004 21:25 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Thumb Up! RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Ralph
I found him digging through my trash! Shocked

lol! Tongue

Cool
06-07-2005 18:00 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
I read the review published in HRS and was intrigued. This did not sound like any Christian music I had ever heard of before. It seemed the guy who write the review was having a tough time coming to grips with the record. A few months later I bought a cassette copy of it at the local Christian bookstore in Brainerd. (I also bought the Petra release "On Fire." Shocked ) It took me some time to get used to DFBB. I got into the Swirling Eddies for some time before I found out they were more or less DA. I also bought Scatred Few's Sin Disease record (on tape) and saw it was produced by Terry and he even wrote some liner notes for it. I got FS and then Vox Humana and Shotgun Angel along with Alarma, DG and the solo terry stuff. Bought Kalhoun when it came out and motorcyle and then was not into DA for a few years. I bought John Wayne and VH (on CD) and DA's greatest hits deal, that got me back into DA again. Been posting on the message board for about four years.

Daniel Amos
Darn Floor-Big Bite

Harvest Rock Syndicate Winter 1987/88
5 points out of 5
by Mark Eischer
Darn Floor, Big Bite is an exercise in discovery a moody, magnificent album which defies easy description. Each listening brings new insights, impressions building up like the coats of lacquer on a Japanese jewel-box. Maybe this shouldn't even be called a 'review.' A review is after the fact, past-tense a summation. I'll be frank-I'm still in the process of absorbing Da's newest record. Chalk it up to the weakness of language, I guess.
Greg Flesch continues to amaze as Da’s resident mad scientist of Guitar and Attendant Technology. His innovative, angular guitar effects complement Terry Taylor's provocative lyrics. Tim Chandlers dissonant bass lines crawl like big lizards through the underbrush of engineer Doug Doyle's mixes. Ed McTaggart again contributes excellent artwork and of course, Big Drums.
The album's basic idea is that all human attempts to describe God fall short and fail. A thought Which - has probably never creased the brow of Chris Christian, it is basically just another variation on the "now we see as through a glass darkly" theme.
Taylor adds a new twist by relating humanity's futile attempts at grasping the Divine to the story of Koko the Gorilla, a primate some scientists taught to 'sign" simple words. The gorilla's best attempt at describing the experience of an earthquake came out as 'darn' floor, big bite.' Terry Taylor apparently read that line in National Geographic, a little light went "Sproing!" ' and the rest is history, as the animal kingdom provides its richest literary alussion since Lassie, Come Home.
Calling the Koko experiment "sign language” is itself a faulty description, as I discovered when I tried to explain the album to a friend of mine who works as an interpreter for the deaf. She didn't really see much humor in it in fact, she was rather offended by the whole Koko idea, as though it were somehow a putdown of deaf people. So it goes.
"The Unattainable Earth" continues the communication-as-distortion theme, propelled along by some of the album's most memorable hooks and- a looping guitar riff reminiscent of the Beafles' Revolver period.
Da fanatics looking for their newest cult Classic need look no further than the opening track, "Return of the Beat Menace." Terry Taylor takes on the Baton Rouge Bomber with this account of a backwoods ayatollah gone hog-wild. The song is not so much about rock-bashing, though, as about clashing cultures and media manipulation. At the downlink end of the televangelist's satellite network sits an eskimo "He buys a suit and tie/re-styles his hair like girls in Tupelo/and sings 'Sweet Bye and Bye." It's too real to be funny.
In "Strange Animals," Taylor applies the theme to human relationships: "If I were to give you/an animal's name/Could I keep you locked/in a (age in my brain?" Taylor will probably win few friends among Biblical Inerrantists, thanks to the implications of this albums theme. Yet, for all its dissonance and angularity, its tribalistic Techno-Primitive rage, Darn Floor, Big Bite is ultimately a prayer for deeper understanding. The title song sums it up: "Illuminate my muddled/Sweep the shadows from my mind/so I might imagine what you are like/and understand the great design.”
"The Shape of Air" seems to quote the melody of Amy Grant's 'I Can Fly. " Whether the reference is intentional or not, it helps create a sense of innocence and wonder which concludes the record.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 06-07-2005 20:35.

06-07-2005 20:34 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Jad
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 06-21-2002

I was lucky enough to have a very cool uncle. He gave me a tape that had "Vox Humana" on one side and In 3-D's "No Glasses Needed" on the other.

Strangely he copied Side 2 of Vox Humana before Side 1. Ever since it's been uncomfortable listening to it the right way around.

I hammered that orginal tape good.........
06-07-2005 20:53 Jad is offline Send an Email to Jad Search for Posts by Jad Add Jad to your Buddy List
FreshIce FreshIce is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 06-09-2005

RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

When I was in 6th grade, my family moved to Pittsburgh PA (1983) and a christian radio station there gave two hours a week to rock music. I'm sure they did so reluctantly - they probably tucked the show away on Saturday nights so that the old ladies that listened to the station wouldn't have heart attacks. Anyway, the program had "Horrendous Disc" and the first couple of "Alarma" records in rotation. "I Love You #19" and "Hound of Heaven", though years old at the time, were leaps and bounds beyond most of the other stuff the station had in its playlist. Also getting airtime were "Central Theme", "New Car!", "Walls of Doubt", "Mall (All over the world)" ... the humor and the post-punk sound had me hooked. I was a DA fan.

As I dug into their back-catalogue, I was surprised to find that they started as a country rock band, but having listened to the Beatles growing up, there was a consistancy I recognized in their recordings and it made sense to me, even if their lyrics were sometimes a bit beyond me. That was cool though - Taylor forced me dig into his lyrics and educate myself. I feel like I got more out of those LPs than most youth group talks. As I went through high school, my youth leaders would push CCM that spoon-fed a lot of propoganda and followed trends. Meanwhile, I was trying to wrap my head around "Darn Floor Big Bite". All this to say, Terry Taylor was (and is) way ahead of his time. I may have missed out on the "touring days", but my faith has been enriched by the art of DA and Taylor.
06-09-2005 11:44 FreshIce is offline Send an Email to FreshIce Search for Posts by FreshIce Add FreshIce to your Buddy List
BuckarooBanzai BuckarooBanzai is a male
Normal Noggin

images/avatars/avatar-582.jpg

Registration Date: 12-05-2004

Back in the '80s, I picked up Fearful Symmetry when it came out. This album was really an eye-opener, as the music was much more interesting and challenging than the typical teen-agey CCM. Then I got to take a road trip with the youth pastor to one of those "hide the beer" colleges. He has been a Terry Amos fan since the 70's, and I got to hear Vox Humana and a couple other albums while on the road.

When the Swirling Eddies arrived on the scene, I showed my pastor the full-page ad in CCM Magazine. He told me later that the Eddies were actually a mutation of DA. After hearing the album, I said, "No wonder they're using aliases."

Now almost twenty years later, high-school kids still listen to syrupy, easy-listening CCM, while I play the ancient DA, Alarm, etc. Hope I get a walker and a bottle of Geritol for Christmas. Also, having monitored this board for a while, it appears some of our Swriling Amos friends have lost what's left of their minds. But that really won't be a problem unless they dig up their spandex.

06-14-2005 15:41 BuckarooBanzai is offline Send an Email to BuckarooBanzai Search for Posts by BuckarooBanzai Add BuckarooBanzai to your Buddy List
Scrimshaw Nick Scrimshaw Nick is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-387.jpg

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Bad news, Mom. I promised my soul to the devil this afternoon." "Oh? That recently?" ~ Calvin and Hobbes

A friend of mine let me listen to part of Vox Humana in tenth grade ('87) and I was hooked. Nothing like I'd heard in the Christian market. My mentor gave him copies of Fearful Symmetry along with VH. I was angry that Ian (our mentor) didn't give me the copies that he gave my friend. I searched the good Christian bookstore relentlessly. Since then, I've picked up everything I could on CD.

Also, I looked up who Billy Blake was from the song on Vox Humana. I fell in love also with his art and poetry. Finding so much so quickly was such an awakening for me. I began to stand out more awkwardly than I already did in high school. "What in the world are you reading? And what the hell is that "music" you're listening to?"

Be thankful regardless of a neglectful mentor on the Message Boards

Somebody cured my political apathy but I'm not allowed to say who it is in a signature on the Message Boards
06-16-2005 21:35 Scrimshaw Nick is offline Send an Email to Scrimshaw Nick Search for Posts by Scrimshaw Nick Add Scrimshaw Nick to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Scrimshaw Nick: piratescrimshaw
luthien1121 luthien1121 is a female
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 06-19-2003

Outdoor Elvis Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

When I was in high school (late 80's/early 90's), one of the youth workers introduced me to lots of great stuff like Steve Taylor and the Swirling Eddies. He loaned me Meltdown and Outdoor Elvis, and I was hooked on both Taylors. It was only several years later ('94?) when I started working in a Christian bookstore where the music buyer knew everything there is to know about music that I realized there was more. I picked up FS and DFBB in the bargain bin on cassette and was hooked. Tongue

06-17-2005 01:10 luthien1121 is offline Send an Email to luthien1121 Homepage of luthien1121 Search for Posts by luthien1121 Add luthien1121 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of luthien1121: luthien1013
freak freak is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-270.jpg

Registration Date: 11-13-2003

Alarma - the cover blew me away.

Bought it never having heard of the band - in late fall '81 I believe.

Next was Horrendous Disc... the next week - the amazement continued.

Doppelganger the day it was released... never looked back... stayed in "touch" with the band with every release...

finally saw them in '90 live... for a "brawl on stage" in the late night buildings at Greyslake, IL - WOW!!! saw them again in '01 for MBD - FREAKin' amazing with Phil on organ - no Mr. Chandler that was very sad.

But it was good.

'02 at c-stone with Rob Watson back and Mr. Chandler was great - but no Greg... sad again.

DA and Terry are so inspiring... challenging... gracious... talented... and a part of the soundtrack that is my life.

~f

dit, dit, doo
06-17-2005 07:48 freak is offline Send an Email to freak Homepage of freak Search for Posts by freak Add freak to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by freak

'02 at c-stone with Rob Watson back and Mr. Chandler was great - but no Greg... sad again.

~f

I saw them about a week after you did then. Great Show! Cool

06-17-2005 10:46 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

will there be another????
or was "that the one"

I saw terry for the first time (with Phil M ) on the AF tour...
and the fine Dr on the same night..jist didnt know Dennis- or anyone then.!

I was gutsy enough upon arriving bout an hour early to say to my son"Hey..I think thats him, in the baseball cap"- lounging in an oversize chair.
As he passed me to go to the "Dressing room" - I had AF already, and got bold enough for a lil one on one, told him I was a fan since Shotgun Angel -- he asked if I was a local- I said "Nah, we only drove 120 miles" - that brought a chuckle, and a personal autograph....
I got Gods Best-

Freak- I'll SUPER dit dit ditto-

DA and Terry are so inspiring... challenging... gracious... talented... and a part of the soundtrack that is my life. ALSO....

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
06-17-2005 11:14 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Question RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:

lol! Tongue

why do i remember this post everytime i see this thread pop up? Tongue

Cool
06-17-2005 11:15 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy

I saw terry for the first time (with Phil M ) on the AF tour...
and the fine Dr on the same night..jist didnt know Dennis- or anyone then.!

I was gutsy enough upon arriving bout an hour early to say to my son"Hey..I think thats him, in the baseball cap"- lounging in an oversize chair.
As he passed me to go to the "Dressing room" - I had AF already, and got bold enough for a lil one on one, told him I was a fan since Shotgun Angel -- he asked if I was a local- I said "Nah, we only drove 120 miles" - that brought a chuckle, and a personal autograph....
I got Gods Best-

That night was the first time I saw Terry as well. Oddly enough I remember Jiminy asking for Terry's autograph, even though I had no idea who Jiminy was.
We even parked there at the same time and said "Hi" to each other and went our seperate ways... being strangers and all... Wink

06-17-2005 16:46 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

RE: How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
quote:

lol! Tongue

why do i remember this post everytime i see this thread pop up? Tongue

Uncle Ralph is a classy fella! Tongue

06-17-2005 16:47 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

no doubt..hes almost as cool as Uncle Terry.

and I remember the swappin howdies too!

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
06-17-2005 17:01 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » How Did YOU Discover Terry Taylor?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH