Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Looking for Vox Humana » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Looking for Vox Humana
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

OK, I will let you in on my secret site for rare stuff, etc...

www.spinone80.com

Many of you will have heard of this I guess, but I haven't seen it mentioned on the DAMB.

The guy who runs it communicates well, and knows his stuff.

www.smashthatcomputer.com
02-03-2005 12:19 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by wayneb
OK, I will let you in on my secret site for rare stuff, etc...

www.spinone80.com

Many of you will have heard of this I guess, but I haven't seen it mentioned on the DAMB.

The guy who runs it communicates well, and knows his stuff.

Wow, looks like the site is still operating. He even has Bibleland on CD. Hmmm....
04-05-2019 08:39 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

I think he is a little confused on his understanding of copyright law concerning his 'Digital Transfers.' A lot of people are confused about it, and I was for a time.

While it's true that under "fair use" a person can make a rip or backup of copyrighted material they own for certain purposes. It is copyright infringement for an unauthorized third party to copy, distribute, perform, publicly display, or create something new from copyrighted material even if 'for free' and others on the internet are doing it. He does state it's a 'service.' I think technically he should destroy the backup when selling the original. There are also some differences concerning various forms of digital media like software, DVDs, books, etc.

His website is so small I doubt any copyright holder would go after him, they tend to go after people making money off the copies. But I have heard of it happening even to small entities in this sub-market. I personally know of one artist that went after someone for infringement and distribution, and I think M8 got into some hot water over some of that stuff. And many years ago some labels went after a guy who had a collector newsletter, he subsequently quit the business.

04-05-2019 14:07 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

I didn't dig around enough to see that he wasn't selling only originals. I wondered how he had so much stuff. Sorry for bumping this.
04-05-2019 15:59 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

I had completely forgotten about spin180! I never used the CDR service, as I had quite a good setup to do it myself back in the day and still can do this from my LP collection if I wish. I did buy some original DA (and other artists) CD's though.

It's good to get a perspective from Jason about the legality of the CDR service, but as for supplying original CD's and vinyl, I can recommend the site! They have a Mortal CD I would like...

www.smashthatcomputer.com
04-07-2019 04:01 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

My comment is directed at their supplying a Vinyl plus a CDR rip. They seem to think that falls under fair use but it does not. If you own an original Vinyl you can make a copy or CDR rip and that falls under fair use. A third party cannot legally do it for you, just as you can't take a magazine to OfficeMax and have them copy articles out of it for you. Or if you have professional photos taken most places will not make copies or print them without a release form from the photographer. Unless you paid the photographer extra to own the rights.

What he is doing is selling a Vinyl and throwing in the CDR rip, problem is that would fall under distribution of a copy. Technically he could make copies of the vinyl but he should destroy them when he sells the vinyl not distribute them.

I am not suggesting I have not traded around bootlegs and made mix tapes and such for people over the years. Just saying this guy better be very careful about advertising what he is doing, the wrong person gets wind of it and he could find himself with a lot of legal problems.

Whats weird about this stuff is often it makes no rhyme or reason who companies or entities might go after. Almost like if they just hear about someone doing it and it's been a bad day they go after them. Like they reach a boiling point or something.

Does anyone remember the Vortexx christian rock collector paper that John Brzinsky sent out many eons ago? I was once told someone associated with that tiny rag got burned by some labels and got out of the business. I am also aware of Sam and T-Bone Burnett using some legal action over distribution of some of their stuff once. Who knows maybe they had a lot of trouble with that stuff a while and then the unfortunate guy came up on their radar.

04-15-2019 11:20 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Looking for Vox Humana

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH