Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » This is ridiculous » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (6): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page This is ridiculous 4 Votes - Average Rating: 5.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
Originally posted by Princess flower bottom

Joey hit it on the head! Pleased

I think terry's songs tend to be about more than one thing though.

I think it also deals with the more sublime aspects of God and trying to sell God in a neat package. Then the neat package is mistaken for God.
Idolatry.

I agree. Very well put.

Someone else can post the lyrics to the next one when they are ready...if you are ready to continue Big Grin

11-24-2004 11:34 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

this one describes most of y'all.... Tongue

Strange Animals

from the album "Darn Floor - Big Bite"
Words and Music by Terry Taylor, Tim Chandler, and Greg Flesch
©1987 Broken Songs (ASCAP)

Strange animals, strange
Strange animals, strange

Too complex to be tamed, too great to be grasped
Their wonder and beauty cannot be expressed
So will they devour you? Well nobody knows
Can't see what's behind those wild animal clothes

I try to describe it, can never succeed
Moving around in a big make believe
I say you are this, I say this is you
But you're one strange animal, I am one too

Strange animals, strange
Strange animals, strange

If I were to give you an animal's name
Could I keep you locked in a cage in my brain?
Yes, I want to hold you, but it is not clear
Just what your intention if I get too near
I feel the danger, but I cannot leave
Will you tear open the heart on my sleeve

Thought you are this, thought this was you
You're one strange animal, I am one too

Strange animals, strange
Strange animals, strange

I try to describe it, can never succeed
Moving around In a big make believe
I say you are this, say this is you
But you're one strange animal, I am one too

bobd

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Strange Animal: 11-24-2004 11:45.

11-24-2004 11:42 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Major theme in Terry's work... Idolatry and a slick God in a box! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

If we cannot understand ourselves, how can we hope to figure out God?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 11-24-2004 11:50.

11-24-2004 11:50 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

We are strange animals. Dirty beasts made in the image of God...that's my take Tongue

11-24-2004 11:51 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

I like it Dorf! Pleased

I like the idea of The Holy being wild & untamed. Something wonderful, but more than a bit dangerous!

11-24-2004 11:56 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Interesting Tongue

11-24-2004 12:01 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Obviously dennis has given this album much thought! Smile )

Good stuff!

11-24-2004 12:36 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Grand Encephalon

The best song of all time Pleased ...

Darn Floor - Big Bite

1: You touch my hair and cheek sometimes
Feel in yourself this flesh and blood
My poor flesh and blood, my poor flesh and blood

I think I met an angel once
But I cannot really know for sure
Do I know you now? Do I know you now?

2: Illuminate my muddled heart
Sweep the shadows from my mind
So I might imagine what you are like
And understand the great design

Darn floor - big bite
You are earth, water and light
3: Darn floor - big bite
Can I ever hope to get it right, can't get it right

I believe I've had a vision or two
Could have been a dream
I guess it could have been a dream
Could have been a dream
I saw the wide world crack where you touched down
And bodies wash up on a mythical shore
Will you save me now? Will you save me now?
In not-quite earth, in not-quite heaven
I'll imitate love like lovers do
In not-quite art, in not-quite living
I'll pray that writing it down is part of loving you

4: Darn floor - big bite
You are twilight, dark and bright
Darn floor - big bite
You are beautiful, terrible terrible sight!
Repeat 1
Darn floor - big bite
You are love, fire and light
Repeat 3, 4
No I can't get it, no I can't get it right
Repeat 2

This one is simple...no man can describe God.

11-24-2004 13:36 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
eddie p eddie p is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 09-30-2004

Thread Starter Thread Started by eddie p

I always thought the first verse was the point of view of the ape talking about us and the second verse was us talking about God, because let's face it. To some animals we must seem like Gods if they could even think in those terms.

To Princess Joey:
As far as She's Working Here. It fits the whole mood of Bibleland for me. The chorus with the descending guitar riffs and climbing bass patterns is what does it for me. If it was left up to the chorus I wouldn't have included the song in my top 5.

To Dennis and Dorfie:
I like the bgvs on I Believe In You but I don't listen to it anymore. I used to when I was 15 or whatever.
"Gate", "If You Want To" just don't go anywhere for me.
As far as "Theo's Logic" I take it back.
"Turn This Off" I thought about that one when I was mentioning songs I didn't like.
I'm listening to "When Everyone Wore Hats" to see if I'll change my mind about it.
No. I wouldn't consider it a worst song though.
It took me a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong
time to warm up to that album though. I'm still lukewarm to it.
I'm not speaking lyrically either. It's the music that makes me like a song. I do appreciate great lyrics but as anyone who's heard my music can tell you I'm not too deep lyrically.
It's probably the way Terry's singing I don't like about that album. I realize he's trying to play a role but that doesn't make it any more pleasant for me.

Sorry I'm chiming in a little late but I haven't been on here since I gave Joey a red tail for dissing She's Working Here.

11-24-2004 13:48 eddie p is offline Send an Email to eddie p Search for Posts by eddie p Add eddie p to your Buddy List
Princess flower bottom Princess flower bottom is a female
Dignified Lazar

Registration Date: 11-22-2004

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith

Illuminate my muddled heart
Sweep the shadows from my mind....

Smile

11-24-2004 13:48 Princess flower bottom is offline Send an Email to Princess flower bottom Search for Posts by Princess flower bottom Add Princess flower bottom to your Buddy List
eddie p eddie p is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 09-30-2004

Thread Starter Thread Started by eddie p

I always thought the first verse was the point of view of the ape talking about us and the second verse was us talking about God, because let's face it. To some animals we must seem like Gods if they could even think in those terms.

To Princess Joey:
As far as She's Working Here. It fits the whole mood of Bibleland for me. The chorus with the descending guitar riffs and climbing bass patterns is what does it for me. If it was left up to the chorus I wouldn't have included the song in my top 5.

To Dennis and Dorfie:
I like the bgvs on I Believe In You but I don't listen to it anymore. I used to when I was 15 or whatever.
"Gate", "If You Want To" just don't go anywhere for me.
As far as "Theo's Logic" I take it back.
"Turn This Off" I thought about that one when I was mentioning songs I didn't like.
I'm listening to "When Everyone Wore Hats" to see if I'll change my mind about it.
No. I wouldn't consider it a worst song though.
It took me a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong
time to warm up to that album though. I'm still lukewarm to it.
I'm not speaking lyrically either. It's the music that makes me like a song. I do appreciate great lyrics but as anyone who's heard my music can tell you I'm not too deep lyrically.
It's probably the way Terry's singing I don't like about that album. I realize he's trying to play a role but that doesn't make it any more pleasant for me.

Sorry I'm chiming in a little late but I haven't been on here since I gave Joey a red tail for dissing She's Working Here.

11-24-2004 13:50 eddie p is offline Send an Email to eddie p Search for Posts by eddie p Add eddie p to your Buddy List
PuP

Is there also an aspect of not being able to be what we are supposed to be or do what we are meant to do?
quote:
In not-quite earth, in not-quite heaven
I'll imitate love like lovers do
In not-quite art, in not-quite living
I'll pray that writing it down is part of loving you

We don't love in the truest, purest sense of the emotion. We're not of earth but not worthy of heaven.

Am I saying that right?

11-24-2004 13:51 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Grand Encephalon

You are saying it right and God created that problem in order for us to need a savior.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dorfsmith: 11-24-2004 15:01.

11-24-2004 15:01 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
.backs.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2003
Location: "An autoposy will make him into a dorf-o-lantern on the Mesaage Boards ."

God created a problem? Oh, let's not fight on Thanksgiving eve... Here's a get out of jail pass, Dorfy:

11-24-2004 15:15 .backs. is offline Send an Email to .backs. Search for Posts by .backs. Add .backs. to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Tongue Problem is probably not the right word but He created a void which makes us need a savior. Kind of like how Adam felt he was not complete and so God created a woman. Same concept...just bigger...

11-24-2004 15:20 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Being a human made in God's image is a paradox in itself. You have the desire but not the means to be perfect. In other words, our very existence brings about the need for grace.

11-24-2004 15:27 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
PuP

Third time's a charm there, dorfy! Smile )

11-24-2004 16:00 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Grand Encephalon

Big Grin

11-24-2004 16:04 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Earth Household

Sleeping by the hearth of the earth household
Content and relaxed before the fire of life
It's becoming like a castle all woven of mist
Disintegrating when I want to grab a hold

Struggle to go somewhere beyond
The earth household, the earth household
Go to the other unknowable side
Of the earth household, the earth household

We chase with the hounds for the meaning of the world
The unattainable meaning of the world
Now I'm gonna run to the other side
Beyond the border land of death I ride

Slip through a tear in the fabric of the world
Speak the foreign language of a place beyond

I drink you endlessly toward my hollow heart
And wake at night repeating "How strange, how strange!"
All is touch and vision in a passionate kiss
And life's a drab curtain ready to be raised

Struggle to go somewhere beyond
Go to the other unknowable side
Of the earth household, the earth household

We chase with the hounds for the meaning of the world...

11-24-2004 16:07 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Earth Household Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think this one follows in the vein of Strange Animals- as we try to understand God, we are trying to understand who we are as well. These are the lines I see as key:

It's becoming like a castle all woven of mist
Disintegrating when I want to grab a hold

We are trying to reach beyond the Earth Household, reach to God, but even where we are at now is a mist we cannot quite grasp. We want to know God; we also want to know the meaning of humanity, the meaning of us. Which must have some real importance, for God to come to us as a man in order to save us. But, both the Earth Household and what is beyond it are difficult (if not presently impossible) to grasp.
11-24-2004 21:17 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Pages (6): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » This is ridiculous

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH