Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Favorite 5 songs » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Favorite 5 songs 4 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Sins of the fathers would be way down on my list but it seems that all you guys really like it and it is in several top 5's. Just curious what you love about that song? I do like it a lot but I can think of many better ones. Just wondering...

Hey Bax, we forgot to do our beauty contest friday...

11-20-2004 14:44 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
.backs.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2003
Location: "An autoposy will make him into a dorf-o-lantern on the Mesaage Boards ."

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Forgot? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease, Dorfy. i understand that you run from humiliation.

Sins of the Fathers belongs at the top of the list. Of course, i like to squeeze most of Terry's songs to the top. The lyrics are poignant and outstanding, and Terry's world-weary voice is a perfect fit.

11-20-2004 15:43 .backs. is offline Send an Email to .backs. Search for Posts by .backs. Add .backs. to your Buddy List
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
Sins of the fathers would be way down on my list but it seems that all you guys really like it and it is in several top 5's. Just curious what you love about that song? I do like it a lot but I can think of many better ones. Just wondering...

quote:
Originally posted by .backs.
Sins of the Fathers belongs at the top of the list. Of course, i like to squeeze most of Terry's songs to the top. The lyrics are poignant and outstanding, and Terry's world-weary voice is a perfect fit.

Yeah, what he said. I just find the song really moving. I love "Terry's world weary voice." I think the song comes across as simple but actually has many different levels to it. I guess that is true of so many of Terry's songs. That is what I love about listening to his music.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
11-20-2004 17:41 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

RE: hmm... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Eis
I'm discovering The Clash right now. Big Grin

Good thing to discover. My only question is how come you only hear "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" or "Rock the Casbah"? If that was all I ever heard from them, I would have lost interest many years ago.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
11-20-2004 17:45 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

quote:
Originally posted by sprinklerhead
quote:

quote:

Yeah, what he said. I just find the song really moving. I love "Terry's world weary voice." I think the song comes across as simple but actually has many different levels to it. I guess that is true of so many of Terry's songs. That is what I love about listening to his music.

Good stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love that song but I love them all. Top 5 lists hurt my brain Big Grin

11-20-2004 19:54 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Top 5 songs:

5) Danny Boy - Traditional
4) Danny - Elvis Presley
3) Dan Dare - Art of Noise
2) Amos Moses - Jerry Reed
1) Daniel - Elton John

11-20-2004 20:14 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
drfong drfong is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 10-27-2004

top 5 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Welcome DR! i am quite fond of your little town. Do you ever get ice cream at the little shop near the Festus statue?

H Disc is a great choice.

Actually, I like Coldstone. But I need to try that one still.

11-20-2004 23:46 drfong is offline Send an Email to drfong Homepage of drfong Search for Posts by drfong Add drfong to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of drfong: doctorfong
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Wink Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i didn't know that they served whiskey too?
11-20-2004 23:48 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Vertitron Vertitron is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 03-30-2002

Time to hurt my brain:

1. Shadow Catcher

Ow ow ow ow ow ow....

Can we qualify this so we limit one song per album? That might make things a little easier...

1. Shadow Catcher
2. Joel
3. Return of the Beat Menace
4. Travelog
5. I Will Return

I know, I copped out terribly...

I'm thrilled to see "When Moonlight Sleeps" and other Fearful Symmetry tunes on people's lists! I thought I was in the minority among DA fans to really love that album!
11-21-2004 20:58 Vertitron is offline Send an Email to Vertitron Homepage of Vertitron Search for Posts by Vertitron Add Vertitron to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

What is the *most* DA record?? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

When I think of as "DA being the Most DA they can be" two records
come to mind. DFBB & FS. Thus they are my two top favorites. Live Bootleg '82 strikes me along those lines as does the first DEDT record.
I think Doppelganger fits in there someplace as well.

any thoughts? Confused

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 11-21-2004 22:49.

11-21-2004 22:48 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sprinklerhead
quote:

quote:

Good stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love that song but I love them all. Top 5 lists hurt my brain Big Grin

I won't even do a top 5 DA songs list. Big Grin Too difficult.

I think it's interesting that Terry seems to like "When Everyone Wore Hats" (the song, as evidenced by the interview on disc 3 of the bookset) so much, when both I and a few others seem to really like "Sins of the Fathers" more.

My most favorite SOTH/WEWH songs are "Sins of the Fathers" and "Glory Road".

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
11-22-2004 08:39 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
My most favorite SOTH/WEWH songs are "Sins of the Fathers" and "Glory Road".

Top 5 WEWH

1) When Everone wore Hats
2) Glory Road
3) Devils Elbow
4) Get Back into the Bus, Aloha
5) Love Land

11-22-2004 08:46 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Gabriel Syme Gabriel Syme is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-135.gif

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by Gabriel Syme
RE: What is the *most* DA record?? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
come to mind. DFBB & FS. Thus they are my two top favorites. Live Bootleg '82 strikes me along those lines as does the first DEDT record.

any thoughts? Confused

When I think of that, Doppelganger is the first that comes to my mind, but that might be objective. I've said before 'round here, it's the album that really changed my world, so whether it is musically "DA being the most DA they can be," it represents to me that which DA truly is. Beyond saying "honest, challenging, & life-changing," I'm going to cop out on defining what the might be for now.
11-22-2004 08:55 Gabriel Syme is offline Search for Posts by Gabriel Syme Add Gabriel Syme to your Buddy List
Gabriel Syme Gabriel Syme is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-135.gif

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by Gabriel Syme

quote:
Originally posted by Vertitron
5. I Will Return

I could have easily said that one instead of "If You Want To." It's strange that I don't think more highly of Kalhoun than I do, yet there are quite a number of songs on it that I really love, including the two mentioned "Gloryhound," & "Gate of the World." Maybe it's because I just really don't care for "Anna" & "Father Explains."
11-22-2004 09:00 Gabriel Syme is offline Search for Posts by Gabriel Syme Add Gabriel Syme to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

RE: What is the *most* DA record?? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel Syme
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

any thoughts? Confused

When I think of that, Doppelganger is the first that comes to my mind, but that might be objective. I've said before 'round here, it's the album that really changed my world, so whether it is musically "DA being the most DA they can be," it represents to me that which DA truly is. Beyond saying "honest, challenging, & life-changing," I'm going to cop out on defining what the might be for now.

Doppelganger is not in my top 5 favorites, but it is in my Top 5 "DA being the most DA they can be!"

1) DFBB
2) FS
3) Live Bootleg '82
4) VH
5) DG

I tend to like the DG songs better on Live Bootled '82

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 11-22-2004 09:08.

11-22-2004 09:07 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

I think we need a Top 500 DA songs thread. That might be easier. Tongue

11-22-2004 09:40 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
.backs.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2003
Location: "An autoposy will make him into a dorf-o-lantern on the Mesaage Boards ."

Tongue

11-22-2004 09:42 .backs. is offline Send an Email to .backs. Search for Posts by .backs. Add .backs. to your Buddy List
Vertitron Vertitron is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 03-30-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel Syme
I could have easily said that one instead of "If You Want To." It's strange that I don't think more highly of Kalhoun than I do, yet there are quite a number of songs on it that I really love, including the two mentioned "Gloryhound," & "Gate of the World." Maybe it's because I just really don't care for "Anna" & "Father Explains."

I know what you mean. Surprising, isn't it? I've only recently evaluated Kalhoun as one of my favorite DA albums. But for me, I like "Gloryhound" and "Gate of the World" the least!

It's just a good all-around fun album, I guess, an interesting product from what I consider a nebulous time for DA. It was their first album after the formation of The Swirling Eddies, a side-project spawned from the financial misgivings of Darn Floor--Big Bite. So those were two circumstances by which they had to define a new sound for themselves. Then on top of that it was also a time when alternative music was trying to define its sound for a new decade. Some really interesting albums came out in that period from a lot of artists, often somewhere between 80's new-wave and Nirvana.
11-22-2004 17:21 Vertitron is offline Send an Email to Vertitron Homepage of Vertitron Search for Posts by Vertitron Add Vertitron to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

I love Kalhoun but tend to overlook it too. Anna is a favorite of mine but that's because I lean toward dark depressing songs Big Grin

11-22-2004 17:27 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

quote:
Why is it that out of all the people on this board I can relate to berger the most? Tongue

Tongue Must we really answer this for you dorf????? Tongue

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
11-23-2004 16:11 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Favorite 5 songs

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH