Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » DA - The Making of Buechners (DVD) » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (19): « first ... « previous 16 17 [18] 19 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DA - The Making of Buechners (DVD) 22 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1822 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1822 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1822 Votes - Average Rating: 9.18
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
We kind of figured that it might be boring for some.. and probably "too long" for many.

Our main goal was to try to balance it a bit.. we didn't want to cut too much fo the "boring" stuff because that is the "making of" an album. Most of it is sort of slow, and "boring" work. We tried to include enough sheepheaded stuff or performance footage to give the folks that weren't interested in that stuff something to see. We just didn't want to overload it with too much of one and none of the other.

We probably should have kept it around 60 min as some of the early edits were.. and then used the extra stuff as bonus material. Then again, it comes in much shorter than "Let It Be," "Rattle and Hum," "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart," "Fearless Freaks," and other music documetaries.

I wouldn't agonize over it. I think y'all had a great blend, all things and angles considered. Smile

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
09-16-2005 11:40 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
quote:
We kind of figured that it might be boring for some.. and probably "too long" for many.

Our main goal was to try to balance it a bit.. we didn't want to cut too much fo the "boring" stuff because that is the "making of" an album. Most of it is sort of slow, and "boring" work. We tried to include enough sheepheaded stuff or performance footage to give the folks that weren't interested in that stuff something to see. We just didn't want to overload it with too much of one and none of the other.

We probably should have kept it around 60 min as some of the early edits were.. and then used the extra stuff as bonus material. Then again, it comes in much shorter than "Let It Be," "Rattle and Hum," "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart," "Fearless Freaks," and other music documetaries.

I wouldn't agonize over it. I think y'all had a great blend, all things and angles considered. Smile

Yup. I could've stood it to be a little longer and had more stuff in there, but then again, I'm strange that way. I love the whole studio experience. Some people, like joey, are bored by it so you have to have some balance there. Anyhoo, audi bros, you did a great job! Pleased

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
09-17-2005 00:26 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

A strange review..

The main complaints seem to be the audio quality - which would be one of our complaints as well.. (but, unfortunately, there was no perfect quality, digital surround sound recording of the audio).. the reviewer also claims that theres "very little" footage that "details the 'making'" of the album, which I find curious...

http://www.tollbooth.org/2005/reviews/dadvd.html

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
10-09-2005 22:31 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

quote:
A strange review..

The main complaints seem to be the audio quality - which would be one of our complaints as well.. (but, unfortunately, there was no perfect quality, digital surround sound recording of the audio).. the reviewer also claims that theres "very little" footage that "details the 'making'" of the album, which I find curious...

He was basically saying it was awful, with a lot of funny antics and a few good moments. I don't understand how he could say there is very little footage of the actual making of the MBD. What does he want? A 2 hour interview with each of the guys talking about how they made MBD and why they made it and what obstacles they had to overcome and what they had to put up with from Tim and ....wouldn't that just be a documentary, not to mention boring as can be. I think this is excellent and greatly enjoyed watching it. Of course, having children, I was a little distracted, so I've had to watch it a few times to see everything, but that's fine with me. Pleased

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
10-09-2005 23:39 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

quote:
A strange review..

yep. well....it happens.

i am grateful for the dvd......as i am sure d.a. fans are.

we could all say "i wish there was more of...or better this or that". but we should be grateful for what we have....and thankful for those who made this happen. Pleased

10-10-2005 00:11 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

we are Pleased
10-10-2005 00:26 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Administrator

I don't really mind getting a negative review.. Any review is better than none. I think they had a lot of weird criticisms for Via Chicago too... so, maybe it's a good thing.

It's a surprising focus of their criticisms though.. What is on film (minus some of the 'silly stuff) is pretty much exactly what the making of an album is... I'd argue that you're seeing more of the making of a record with this video than you are with most making of films.. almost every scene on this dvd is the recording of something that went on the album. That's rare in those sorts of films. I mean in Let It Be or I'm Trying to Break Your Heart, you're rarely seeing something from teh actual album.

The funny thing is.. he starts off saying that it doesn't show the "making of "the record, and then goes into how it shows random scenes of the band tracking various guitar parts, etc. in the studio. What does he think making a record is?

Oh well... at least they finally reviewed it...

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
10-10-2005 00:52 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

My review of his review...

Yeah kinda odd... it is a film of them "making" Mr buchners Dream, they were making the album as the cameras were rolling... not sure what else to show instead of the films of them making the album to show them making the album. Making the album is what it is.

The audio quality is bad in places from the video camera, but a lot of audio is taken from the masters as well...so? This I agree with in part but not totally.

He also says a lot of it is haphazardly put together, which to me is incorrect. The tapes we were given were a very random conglomeration of bits of film, we maticulously pieced them together to make sense out of it. A lot of the multicamera scenes had to be found and pieced together from various points on the tapes.

I guess for this reviewer, maybe there needed to be text on the bottom of the screen explaining to him what he was watching. "Here is the band writing and practicing the songs.", "Here is the band recording the actual drum tracks for this song.", "Here is Terry recording his actual album vocal." "Here is the band mixing a track."

Lastly he criticizes the audio mix of the concert shot, which is not great but most festivals are not mixed well. I mean that is audio taken from their mixing board at the festival, again it is as it was. Thats the way the concert was mixed at the time of the show. Nothing we can do about that, unless they did like most bands and went in a recorded new mix over the film.

This footage is raw, its them in the studio as they were making the album, its them on stage... we didn't fancy it up and make it non-representative of what actually happened.

This is one kinda pet peeve of mine when a reviewer doesn't take into consideration what it is they are watching. All the criticisms he made could of been made of "Let It Be". Seemingly random shots, weird edits, grainy look, poor audio, poor mix.... its a documentary of a band working, not a music video or a commercial.

It would be like reviewing the Beatles anthology CD series and making criticisms like ... the audio quality is less than studio at times, there is too many songs of poor quality and the quality jumps to varying degrees every few songs, there doesn't seem to be any theme to the album, and at times the band even makes mistakes and leaves them in....um, yeah...

Because of Scott Lake's unenlightened and poorly thought out review most people will gain little insight into this release.

I give him, 3 out of 5 little alarm clocks.

10-10-2005 04:14 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

I chimed in on this earlier, doing my review in that imbd thing or whatever.
Let me reiterate. I enjoy this DVD very much because it caters exactly to what I like. I think if the goal was to produce something for the fans & fans of MBD in particular, you guys blasted it out of the park. This reviewer doesn't realize what target this DVD was marketed to. Besides he was probably soiling his diapers when I was digging Darn Floor Big Bite.

10-10-2005 10:35 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Yeah. That was what we really were trying to do, capture the best moments of the guys working together. Kinda show the process in the sense of how songs start out as demos and warp into full studio recordings. Show how these guys do it, show that even they are surprised by what the songs become. Show the creative experimentation the guys are good at. And the comraderie they share. Its weird to see how rough some songs start out and how elaborate they end up.

And as Tim points out in he DVD, its weird to them to watch the process go by... he talks about sometimes Terry will be singing something off the top of his head and it turns into something. Being "in tune" to that spirit is part of the "magic".

It doesn't matter if the reviewer realizes it or not, the film shows the process of the band "making" Mr Buchners Dream. There is nothing more to show except more of the same. Not sure what he was expecting unless it was an instructional video or something. Which its not meant to be, its meant as a documentary. I just find his criticisms to reflect more on his preconcieved expectations of what the film would be, than on the film.

10-10-2005 14:39 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

quote:
I don't really mind getting a negative review.. Any review is better than none. I think they had a lot of weird criticisms for Via Chicago too... so, maybe it's a good thing.

Yeah...we got a weird review too. My favorite line from the review is this:

"While all the shots are in focus and well framed, the performance segments are presented in hard-edged, digital black and white with none of the softness or depth film emulsion film provided classic recordings."

I have no idea what "depth film emulsion film provided classic recordings" even means. I think it was just bad writing.

I doesn't matter though. We got a weird review with a high "clock" rating, so go figure.

For what it's worth, I think you guys did a great job with your project.

jeffrey k.

10-20-2005 17:25 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Administrator

Thanks. Yeah, I think when it comes to these artists reviewers generally don't know what it is their fans want. Spittle and Phleghm I am sure would get horrible reviews...but for an Eddies fan its funny.

They can review Via Chicago looking at it from some odd ball perspective, but for Dogs fans its what they want to see. It captures what the fan wants in a way that fits the guys style. And that sentence makes no sense whatsoever.

"with none of the softness or depth film emulsion film provided classic recordings."

Emulsion is just a film process, the double use of the word film is strange, and I am not sure what classic recordings he is refering to or why he thinks they have a deeper or softer look. Maybe they have a softer look because the classic films are older....and the technology was less sharp? Very early films were very soft..almost blurry.

A sign of intelligence is saying complex things in an easy to understand way. Not saying unintelligable things complexly.

We tried to do what we could with the footage we had for Making of Buechners, and tried to balance it out and make it enjoyable and interesting without being too boring. Keeping the average DA fan in mind, and "average DA fan" is almost a contradiction. DA fans are anything but average, the band is anything but average. And what the band does and what the fans want is going to be anything but what the average film watcher will want.

Its like giving an average CCM magazine reviewer Darn Floor or Outdoor Elvis and having them say ..what the heck is this?

10-21-2005 03:18 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
uvulapie uvulapie is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 09-09-2003

Convinced Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was going to not review the Making of MBD DVD because, well, it's tricky for me to slip a DVD review into the CD/music review pages for the paper for which I write but not I've got to have something to counteract the Tollbooth review. Look for it before the end of the year or my name isn't Blaze Carbuncle!
11-04-2005 10:34 uvulapie is offline Send an Email to uvulapie Homepage of uvulapie Search for Posts by uvulapie Add uvulapie to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of uvulapie: uvulapie
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

Colbert's flippers Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm curious as to what the deal was with Chris Colbert's hands(all bandaged up). It appeared he may have hurt his leg, too. Did he have a motorcycle accident or something? Does anyone know? Does anyone care?

12-23-2005 15:17 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Administrator

Tim may do a better explination than we can. I know he did hurt his leg durring the time Buechners was being recorded and mixed. And the 'tape bandages' flippers on his hands may have grown out of that? Thats what I always assumed but there maybe more to the joke that wasn't on the tapes we had.

12-24-2005 01:15 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

banophernalia review Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

still to be posted, but considering the reviews of the reviews I figured I may as well take my lumps ...

The Making of Mr. Buechner’s Dream (©2005 Stunt) ****

This DVD schlockumentary takes the viewer on an unprecedented all access pass behind the scenes while the band rehearsed, goofed around, and wrote Mr. Buechner’s Dream. The footage is intimate, and features a lot of personal home movies provided by members of the band. Which is part of the charm, but like with most home movies, the awkward cuts are somewhat irritating after a while. It would have been nice to have more complete songs represented, but hey – this is Daniel Amos after all, and they never do anything by the book.

The DVD has two chapters. The first is the home movies of the rehearsals at Ed’s house, where the guys are loafing around fleshing (oh, man I should have used my Greg Flesch pun, crap, well it’s too late now) out ideas. The second is the studio work at the Green Room. We get to watch the little pieces come together and witness how they layered the textures that made up Buechner’s Dream. There are a number interviews with various band members, and some pretty funny bits where the guy’s ride on Ed. Man that Ed, if he ever got locked in a tower he could provide his rescuer a way in. The whole thing runs about an hour and fifteen minutes – which more or less makes this a feature length thingamajiger. The bonus features include a live segment where the boys less Tim all look purdy in suits – the mix isn’t great, but it was taken from the board so it’s like being there. Finally available is the track “Nowhere is Someplace” one of the best songs to never grace a Daniel Amos album.

The DVD itself, has a few little foibles, such as an occasionally out of synch dub, which is funny at times, especially on the Tim Chandler bits, it actually works in an odd sort of way. The sound quality is okay, considering a lot of the footage is homemade, and there is the usual hiss.

Now I have to mention this is not a DVD for the uninitiated. I played it for some friends who didn’t know DA from the Tuxedo Clad Megastar, and they lasted about six minutes before asking me if there was anything on the shopping channel, preferably with Tony Little.

However, for those of us who like the band, and have more than a passing fancy for the old farts, this is pretty interesting stuff, and deserves to be in your collection. True, it’s not something you’ll play everyday, but it is a great companion piece to the album, and in fact my opinion of the album is greater now for having watched this than it was before. Whoever said familiarity breeds contempt was full of crap.

Reviewed January 7, 2006

01-07-2006 19:33 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

I thought the mis dubbed parts were intentional, doesn't he say something about a Japanese movie or something?

01-07-2006 21:22 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Administrator

Looks like a fair review to me.

The messed up audio on the Tim Segment was not intentional.. for some reason, it was a problem that just kept popping up over and over again. We'd fix it, then it'd be back. We thought it was gone on our master, but when we got the finished discs - it was there again. No idea what was causing it.

01-08-2006 00:36 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
Looks like a fair review to me.

The messed up audio on the Tim Segment was not intentional.. for some reason, it was a problem that just kept popping up over and over again. We'd fix it, then it'd be back. We thought it was gone on our master, but when we got the finished discs - it was there again. No idea what was causing it.

Big Grin I thought it was intentional too. Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
01-09-2006 12:55 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

quote:
Now I have to mention this is not a DVD for the uninitiated. I played it for some friends who didn’t know DA from the Tuxedo Clad Megastar, and they lasted about six minutes

but they were Canadian, right?

just a joke, people. don't everybody get riled up. i love the Canadians.
01-10-2006 19:55 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Pages (19): « first ... « previous 16 17 [18] 19 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » DA - The Making of Buechners (DVD)

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH