Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » DA - The Making of Buechners (DVD) » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (19): « first ... « previous 15 16 [17] 18 19 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DA - The Making of Buechners (DVD) 22 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1822 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1822 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1822 Votes - Average Rating: 9.18
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It uses a weighted average, and even with that 9.8 is high. As for as getting it on the lists themselves, it would take probably hundreds or thousands of votes I guess of people that have a history of voting. The more votes the better..but it would probably take a lot of DA fans to get it to show up on anything. Possible but might take a while.

But to put it in perspective blockbuster movies are only getting in the 10s of thousands of votes.

08-23-2005 13:57 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

Coded message? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

So, Audie.
I believe what you're instructing us to do next (the ones who have voted) is vote on other stuff, particularly those top 250. What if Godfather suddenly received....say.......a 1 vote.........heh heh heh......
I get what you're up to....{wink,wink,nudge,nudge,say no more}

08-23-2005 14:31 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hahahaha! Thats a good one. I didnt think of it that way, I was more saying I am not sure even if everyone votes how likely it will show up on the lists because of their restrictions. But your way is good too.

08-23-2005 15:20 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

quote:
Originally posted by bereal
I still haven't had the chance to watch it. We had lots of company today. MF's grandparents came over for about an hour this morning. Then after nap, we had some friends come over for dinner and to play music. We had a blast! We won't get to see them again before we move so it was nice to get together with them. We actually are having a going away party on Sunday, but they will be out of town that day. Maybe we'll get the chance to watch it tomorrow evening. I sure hope we can watch the DVD before we move in less than 2 weeks.

Well, here it is over a month since we moved and I finally got to watch The Making of MBD DVD. This is great. I have a new respect for Greg. Wow! What a musician! And Tim, if you happen in here, in addition to being the greatest bass player ever, you are such a goof! Loved the scene with the kids. Reminds me of MF running around after our little ones. Big Grin Pleased

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
09-07-2005 22:09 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

I got a working copy now, and a couple of things stood out:

Tim: who should quit smoking. But is a huge ham.
Terry: who finally took off his hat - dude, hair thins, it happens. Look at Patrick Stewart. You think God really cares. He still knows all of the remaining strands by name. In fact it makes his job easier in that regard.
Ed: who could get a hair cut, who does he think he is: Cher?
Greg: a very nice addition so see DA's version of the quiet Beatle. He is an understated player.

09-08-2005 10:08 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

i quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago! but thanks for the thought. Smile
09-08-2005 10:37 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Hey, it's what I'm here for. Note: come to BC and I'll ply you with Cognac and Cuban cigars. Downside, I'll probably want to jam with you, and sing songs about farting.

09-08-2005 12:57 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

....and sing songs about farting

Jev-
your being redundant again.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
09-08-2005 13:34 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

not necessarily ... Tim's bass would fit perfectly.

09-08-2005 14:14 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

.....not to mention the trombone. Wink

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
09-08-2005 21:00 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Jevon the Tall
I got a working copy now, and a couple of things stood out:

Tim: who should quit smoking. But is a huge ham.
Terry: who finally took off his hat - dude, hair thins, it happens. Look at Patrick Stewart. You think God really cares. He still knows all of the remaining strands by name. In fact it makes his job easier in that regard.
Ed: who could get a hair cut, who does he think he is: Cher?
Greg: a very nice addition so see DA's version of the quiet Beatle. He is an understated player.

You should've known Jev would've been the one concerned about smoking, as he is a walking, perpetual hazardous, explosive location and accident waiting to happen! Tongue

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
09-09-2005 15:37 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Oh yeah, this is an awesome DVD. It's great to see the band at different stages in the development of such a great work.

I was particularly struck between the sonic difference between the Who's Who Here demo and the final version. The demo sounded quiet and dark versus the "arena rock" sound of the final version. The demo version stylistically reminded me of some of the bonus tracks on the When Everyone Wore Hats compilation (the 3rd CD of the set and another underrated project and worth every bit of the $25 price) Neat!

For Reference:

Disc Three: "The Story of Bud & Irma"
2. Your Hidden Hand (NEW)
4. Turn This Off (New Acoustic Version)
6. The Devil's Elbow (NEW)

Got a few miles left ...

09-09-2005 15:45 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

My copy of the MBD DVD arrives in 5 hours!!!!!! That's when our friend from NZ flys in to Adana and gets driven to Tarsus......she has my DVD.

www.smashthatcomputer.com
09-15-2005 10:36 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Administrator

We actually talked to Terry once about doing a 'basement tapes' series of demos like that both old and new. Quality would be less than perfect, and they would be geared toward the die hard fans, but I love stuff like that.

09-15-2005 10:50 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
We actually talked to Terry once about doing a 'basement tapes' series of demos like that both old and new. Quality would be less than perfect, and they would be geared toward the die hard fans, but I love stuff like that.

I would really like it, even if it was done on an old cassette tape and boom box or something. Smile

Got a few miles left ...

09-15-2005 12:16 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

I was struck by how much Chris Colbert looks like Paul McCartney in the face in 3D. I had never picked up on that in pictures I had seen of him before.

Got a few miles left ...

09-15-2005 12:34 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

ya know, i only watched this once and was kinda .bored with it....
is there something wrong with me? Shocked

Cool
09-15-2005 12:49 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by joey
ya know, i only watched this once and was kinda .bored with it....
is there something wrong with me? Shocked

Maybe you're not a rabid fan or musician?

Are you a wacky fan? Tongue Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

09-15-2005 15:49 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

We kind of figured that it might be boring for some.. and probably "too long" for many.

Our main goal was to try to balance it a bit.. we didn't want to cut too much fo the "boring" stuff because that is the "making of" an album. Most of it is sort of slow, and "boring" work. We tried to include enough silly stuff or performance footage to give the folks that weren't interested in that stuff something to see. We just didn't want to overload it with too much of one and none of the other.

We probably should have kept it around 60 min as some of the early edits were.. and then used the extra stuff as bonus material. Then again, it comes in much shorter than "Let It Be," "Rattle and Hum," "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart," "Fearless Freaks," and other music documetaries.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
09-15-2005 17:02 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

OKOKOKOK, it's over....the wait has ended and I have seen the DVD (though not all the live footage)

I really enjoyed it. I have stayed up until nearly 2am, my wife was happy to let me (even though I teach school in 6 hours or so), and now I know a few things I didn't before.

I've done some studio stuff before, so know what it can be like. You guys got a good blend of everything I think. The volume in the spoken parts was a little quiet compared to the music bits. I had to keep on using the volume control to keep it even....but I did have a sleeping household to consider!

What really struck me was the way so many of the songs were lovingly polished - by that I don't mean made bland, but extra takes were done, bits were added and taken away, the band knew what they wanted but were also still open to new ideas.

Tim was scary at the end.

Ed looks REALLY serious when he plays live (but changes wondrously when he smiles)

Greg is an amazing, amazing player!!!! Wow!!!

Terry is older (fact of life for all of us) but still so passionate about what he is doing - and then says how much the OTHER guys inspire HIM.

I smiled when Frank Lenz said that if you wanted to get a certain old keyboard that Jyro would have it....Foldzan rocks!

Thanks guys, it was worth the wait.

www.smashthatcomputer.com
09-15-2005 17:52 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Pages (19): « first ... « previous 15 16 [17] 18 19 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » DA - The Making of Buechners (DVD)

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH