Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » DA - The Making of Buechners (DVD) » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (19): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 7 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DA - The Making of Buechners (DVD) 22 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1822 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1822 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1822 Votes - Average Rating: 9.18
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DaLe
quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
We really don't mean this to come accross as an anti-share
thing, but more of a protect the band/Terry's future releases
thing.

thats CooL...

I want to hear all I can of Terry's work. I am glad they generally encourage some bootlegging of concerts as long as one shares.

It is quite sad and pitiful that someone would purposefully spread stuff in advance of a release, when they hadn't before or in a long time. Mad

That being said, I think anything Terry writes or interview segments that are added to the releases will help encourage more to buy it, if they already have bootleg stuff, so long as it doesn't cut into the music on the release much.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
03-15-2005 11:37 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Just a little update...

We're working on what we think is a final edit... We're actually going to try to add something before we finish it, but that should only take a week or so. There's something major missing from the film at this moment, but the reason for that is that we don't have it... so, if we can get it, we'll drop it in and then send off a final edit for the guys to look at.

Assuming they're happy with everything, we'll start making plans to manufacture the DVDs.

I'm excited about this one.. I think folks will dig it.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
04-10-2005 00:55 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

I can't wait to hear all the 'reviews'. Its not like its a movie that was written, but we tried to piece together the best of the footage. Some of the footage the guys shot is pretty fun to watch. The Ed rehearsal footage maybe more fun than the green room stuff, but the green room stuff is more 'educational' in the sense it shows them 'working' more.

04-10-2005 01:02 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Tongue Tongue

04-10-2005 16:02 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
That will mean nothing to most of you... we just recently had
someone attempting to leak out some of our upcoming bonus
tracks. Seems like every time we start to release something
from the archives, someone tries to beat us to it by spreading
copies around... someone "inside" the team did it with the
Anaheim DVD just weeks before it was released as another
example.. not sure where this temptation comes from but it
seems like a lot of folks are too weak to fight it...

I ran into something similar with the Lost Dogs dvd. Just 3 days before the DVD was released some guy pops up out of nowhere on the DA board and the Lost Dogs Yahoo list and offers a DVD of the entire show (shot on 2 cameras) the Dogs played the night before we filmed ours. Then, he emails me and requests that Lo-Fidelity provide him with the trailer to our DVD so he can tack it to his bootleg. Between myself, the bands old manager, and Roe, we "persuaded" the guy to remove his bootleg offer and told him to get lost.

The main issues being that he never had permission to film the show and then waited until 3 days before the official band DVD was released to offer his up. Being that the guys play the same set every night all we could think was, great....why buy when you can get it for free....??? So that ended that pretty quick.

jeffrey k.

04-10-2005 19:53 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Administrator

I vaguely remember that... strange how stuff like that happens almost like clockwork.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
04-10-2005 21:42 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

Frown

04-11-2005 17:32 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
Frown

That is horrible. I'll buy whatever the guys are selling! (though it may have to wait till next month...)
04-11-2005 20:54 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Eleanor Eleanor is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-641.jpg

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

quote:
Originally posted by jeffrey k.
quote:

I ran into something similar with the Lost Dogs dvd. Just 3 days before the DVD was released some guy pops up out of nowhere on the DA board and the Lost Dogs Yahoo list and offers a DVD of the entire show (shot on 2 cameras) the Dogs played the night before we filmed ours. Then, he emails me and requests that Lo-Fidelity provide him with the trailer to our DVD so he can tack it to his bootleg. Between myself, the bands old manager, and Roe, we "persuaded" the guy to remove his bootleg offer and told him to get lost.

The main issues being that he never had permission to film the show and then waited until 3 days before the official band DVD was released to offer his up. Being that the guys play the same set every night all we could think was, great....why buy when you can get it for free....??? So that ended that pretty quick.

jeffrey k.

I saw several boots of that show before your DVD came out including my own. You can't expect the fans to not make boots when they've been doing it for years now. Maybe you should have said no cameras at any of the previous shows since you and the dogs knew that you were going to make a DVD. That would have made the official release more valuable in the long run.

I'm not totally sticking up for the guy because most people knew you were doing a DVD. But no one said we couldn't film the shows before yours, and the pressure to pass out boots of all the shows is pretty strong. So Management should have stressed it before the tour began.

Please don't take this the wrong way jeffery (townseds). I think what you were trying to do and did do for the Dogs was great. Your projects have been a blessing to us fans. But you make it sound like the guy was trying to screw you, when all he wanted to do was make a cool bootleg. His mistake was bad timing. (I don't want to get into all the details of what went on between you and him, that is between you two. I just wanted to put in another point of view from us bootleggers).

And this statement is a little off base as well
"we just recently had someone attempting to leak out some of our upcoming bonus tracks"

Yes some of the tracks if not all are out there.... but they have been around for several years and no one was "attempting" anything. Nothing was done intentionally to harm the band. I'm sure that the handful of people who have these tracks intend on buying at least one copy of the new release if not more.

I know that stuff like this is frustrating and I hope things go smoother in the future for both you (Jeffery and the A-Bros) and the bands. In the end, we all want what's best for them, even if we (I am including you guys in this) don't do all the right things all the time. (i.e. bootlegs at the wrong moment, not making the dogs tour "video free", mailing issues from the DA store (old news) mentioning something in a post that maybe you should not have by mistake)

Sorry, but this thread has been bugging me for a while now. Maybe I should have sent an email, but since this has been discussed on this thread, this is where I posted it.

Now that the A-Bros are on a ban kick, maybe I'll be next. Roll Eyes
04-11-2005 22:13 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
Administrator

No, you have a point. As we said in an earlier post, we don't necessarily blame the fans in every case because they are doing what they do... bootlegs are generally allowed and they're going to take advantage of that.

But, like you said, the timing of the Dogs video bootleg was pretty bad.. I can't put myself in the head of the person that was offering it - I don't think they meant any harm, but it is mindboggling. Let me add that I don't even remember who the person was, so it's not like everyone's holding a grudge. It's just timing that will make a video producer have a heart attack.

quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor

"we just recently had someone attempting to leak out some of our upcoming bonus tracks"

Yes some of the tracks if not all are out there.... but they have been around for several years and no one was "attempting" anything. Nothing was done intentionally to harm the band. I'm sure that the handful of people who have these tracks intend on buying at least one copy of the new release if not more.

We said we didn't blame the people spreading them (although, we do want that to stop - I'm hoping that it already has). Yes, some of those tracks have been out there for a while.. rough quality copies in the hands of only a few people. We know who those people are, and we know how they got them. Those people (we're told) were told not to trade them. Some of these people have even repeated that promise to us - that they wouldn't be traded. It's more than a little frustrating to have them suddenly start making the rounds - just (what will hopefilly be) a short time before they're released. The new copies being made (of the original copies) are the problem. I don't think anyone in this case is trying to hurt the band or any of us (in general) with the trades...

Again, it's not that we don't understand the desire to trade them. But, the element of surprise is very important for some of these releases... the fans that will be the most excited about finally getting them are the ones that have never heard them before. We don't want to put it out and have a bunch of people go "oh yeah, I may get that.. I already have a disc of it somewhere". That's not really the excitement any of us hope for when we're putting a release together.

You also have to use the "element of surprise" to make most of your money back. Like with the Dogs DVD, I'm sure the most important sales to Jeffrey were the early sales... had 50% of the potential audience already had a copy of the same show, his early sales most likely would have been more sluggish. A lot of people would have been saying "I'll get it eventually." Which is fine, but when you're trying to make your money back (or pay off debt), you need those "excited" rushed sales.

quote:

Give me a break - you know better than that. If people don't break the long standing rules of the board, they're fine.

04-11-2005 22:25 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Platyhelminth

Thanks for the post guys. I was hoping you wouldn't take it the wrong way. It's so hard to get the right point across somtimes.

quote:

quote:

Give me a break - you know better than that. If people don't break the long standing rules of the board, they're fine.

I should have put a Wink next to it along with the Roll Eyes
04-11-2005 22:32 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
Administrator

That would have helped. Smile )

04-11-2005 22:33 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

why, who else has been banned? I've been away for five days or so, what did I miss???

04-12-2005 06:00 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Platyhelminth

quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
why, who else has been banned? I've been away for five days or so, what did I miss???

not much...
04-12-2005 09:21 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
Aqua Green Toupee Aqua Green Toupee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-19-2004

I was banned. I'm not allowed to post in here anymore.
04-12-2005 13:25 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

quote:
Originally posted by Ron E

dorf got kicked off Crying Roll Eyes Big Grin

04-12-2005 13:59 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Grand Encephalon

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffrey k.
quote:

jeffrey k.

I saw several boots of that show before your DVD came out including my own. You can't expect the fans to not make boots when they've been doing it for years now. Maybe you should have said no cameras at any of the previous shows since you and the dogs knew that you were going to make a DVD. That would have made the official release more valuable in the long run.

I'm not totally sticking up for the guy because most people knew you were doing a DVD. But no one said we couldn't film the shows before yours, and the pressure to pass out boots of all the shows is pretty strong. So Management should have stressed it before the tour began.

Please don't take this the wrong way jeffery (townseds). I think what you were trying to do and did do for the Dogs was great. Your projects have been a blessing to us fans. But you make it sound like the guy was trying to screw you, when all he wanted to do was make a cool bootleg. His mistake was bad timing. (I don't want to get into all the details of what went on between you and him, that is between you two. I just wanted to put in another point of view from us bootleggers).

I know that stuff like this is frustrating and I hope things go smoother in the future for both you (Jeffery and the A-Bros) and the bands. In the end, we all want what's best for them, even if we (I am including you guys in this) don't do all the right things all the time. (i.e. bootlegs at the wrong moment, not making the dogs tour "video free", mailing issues from the DA store (old news) mentioning something in a post that maybe you should not have by mistake)

Sorry, but this thread has been bugging me for a while now. Maybe I should have sent an email, but since this has been discussed on this thread, this is where I posted it.

It's good to hear both sides. I understand where you both are coming from. If someone made a point to release a boot of something right when the official realease was about to happen so they could sell a few copies they would be hurting the band and a real jerk IMHO. If it happened by accident then it should be pretty easy to clear up. Like Jeffrey said, the person was contacted and things were ,for the most part, worked out. I will always buy the official release of anything Terry and the boot if it is different. Official releases always come first since they support the band Cool (OF course, BD boots support the band too Pleased )

04-12-2005 14:03 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Aqua Green Toupee Aqua Green Toupee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-19-2004

So when's the #^%#@ thing coming out?
04-12-2005 14:17 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Just a little update...

We're working on what we think is a final edit... We're actually going to try to add something before we finish it, but that should only take a week or so. There's something major missing from the film at this moment, but the reason for that is that we don't have it... so, if we can get it, we'll drop it in and then send off a final edit for the guys to look at.

Assuming they're happy with everything, we'll start making plans to manufacture the DVDs.

I'm excited about this one.. I think folks will dig it.

04-12-2005 14:34 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

quote:

.Eleanor, (or whoever you are...)

Appreciate your comments, and I'm not going to fight about this, so this is the statement and then I'm moving on. What I will say is that what you don't know about the situation concerning the guy "and his cool bootleg" makes your arguement moot. Both myself and management knew that people here and there would show up for shows and film them on little cameras and turn out one-dimension boots. They typically lack in quality and they don't comepete or hurt anything and only a handful of people care about them.

The issue we had with this guy is that he claimed he filmed the show digitally on more that one camera, had apprently recorded the audio seperatly, and then took the time to edit it all together without the band ever knowing or getting any permission. Then 3 days before the official DVD was to go on sale he emails me and requests that we send him the trailer for the official DVD so he can tack it to his DVD. Being that I had NO time to deal with it I simply responded that I appreciated his interest but couldn't accomidate him....and then got back to work. He offered no details about his show, nothing about how it had been filmed, recorded, edited, nothing...but that afternoon he started posting that he had it and more info about it, touting that it was the "complete show vs. the editied version Lo-Fidelity would be releasing" and would entertain all offers for it.

So put yourself in my position. I've just spent thousands of dollars and a year and a half working on a DVD and some guy comes along 3 days before the official release offering a "complete" show....filmed on 2 cameras....taken from the night before our show....on DVD....for free. The band hasn't seen or given permission on it, management knows nothing about it, and the label that just put a ton of time and $$ into a similar show now is dealing with another show being offered for free.

So I contacted the guy, who got offended that he was being requested to remove his show offer and even countered that he had told me about it earlier that morning and had tried to get Lo-Fidelity some support on his DVD with our trailer...and that was it. Within a couple hours he had management after him and was told to stop. To make matters worse, rather than being apologetic or even understanding, he got on the boards and was a smartarse about it and acted like it was a David vs. Goliath situation.

I honestly don't care if people agree with this or not....I really don't. What I do care about is that in THIS situation THIS bootlegger had an agenda, and he acted like a jerk about it when his agenda wasn't approved or welcomed, so it was dealt with.

The end.

jeffrey k.

Ps...I wrote the above message pretty fast....please understand that I in NO way am trying to minimize (or make it seem silly) the fun of sharing approved bootlegs. I have a few, and while the quality sorta .sucks, they are cool in their own way. BigDork has come up with some nice recordings (that don't suck) in his time, and I really appreciate that stuff. I think it shows love for a band that people will come out and do that sort of thing. This situation was different, (at least in how it was presented and approched with the label) with the Dogs DVD bootleg....and it was stopped as a result.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jeffrey k.: 04-12-2005 16:12.

04-12-2005 15:20 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Pages (19): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 7 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » DA - The Making of Buechners (DVD)

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH