Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Whats your favorite DA concert experience? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (6): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Whats your favorite DA concert experience? 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

RE: o.k. o.k. September 29, 1984 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DaLe
JerusaLem the Can't Stop Us Now era

Oh yea, I almost forgot about that. Makes me think of two words - Leg Warmers.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
07-28-2004 16:00 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

Frown I miss the 80's Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

vs

07-28-2004 16:25 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

RE: o.k. o.k. September 29, 1984 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by sprinklerhead
quote:
JerusaLem the Can't Stop Us Now era

Oh yea, I almost forgot about that. Makes me think of two words - Leg Warmers.

Leg Warmers, the 80s

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh!

I had a pair of leg warmers I wore over my blue jeans almost every day, and I thought I was so cool! Roll Eyes

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
07-28-2004 16:28 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Gabriel Syme Gabriel Syme is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-135.gif

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Were these the tapered-leg jeans with the zippers to get them over one's feet?

Actually, I miss some things about the '80s very much, even if I didn't have a rocket pack. Music seemed more experimental then for one thing. Starting in the '90s it was back to three chords & a bridge.

We now return you to stories from people who have actually seen Daniel Amos perform.
07-28-2004 16:35 Gabriel Syme is offline Search for Posts by Gabriel Syme Add Gabriel Syme to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Leg Warmers were like big woolly socks but without the feet part.

http://www.eightyeightynine.com/culture/legwarmers.html

07-28-2004 16:57 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

What a trip down memory lane! Red Face

Back to DA. I haven't actually seen DA live, but I've seen Terry with the Lost Dogs 4 times since October 2002. Pleased (Well, one was the BBQ tour with Mike, but Derri showed up so that made it a Dogs show for me)

To pick my favorite is just impossible. They were all great! Cool Pleased

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
07-28-2004 17:13 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Commander Cote
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

Without a doubt my favorite time was at "The Amos & Randy" show on April 11, 1980 at Bethel College in Roseville, Minnesota. About a year later I hooked up with Progressive Pacers own Randy Carey who promoted concerts for about 4 years. We brought in just about anybody and everybody who was cool at the time. We brought in DA a few times, along with Sir Stonehill, Mr. Norman, Petra, Servant, Mark Heard, Rez Band, Steve Taylor (His first time he warmed up for Rez Band) and I'm sure there were many others (of which Dale might remember, of course he was just a young whippersnapper back then). I do have a recording of that Amos & Randy show that I recorded on a regular cassette player, it's not that good, but you can pick up on how fun it was from the crowd reactions. Oh to be young again........
07-28-2004 20:16 Commander Cote is offline Send an Email to Commander Cote Search for Posts by Commander Cote Add Commander Cote to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

quote:
Originally posted by Commander Cote
(of which Dale might remember, of course he was just a young whippersnapper back then).......

oh, GeT a HaiR CuT ! ya old hippie JeSuS FReaK ! Tongue
My Bro & I went to every Pacer concert from 83 till the end... except for that one PeTra concert...

07-29-2004 08:21 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

I remember Progressive Pacer well.
I dont think they brought Concerts to Duluth- but I used to see their stuff at the CCM bookstore- and I think they had a newsletter?
I saw Phil K at the State theater in 84 - that may have been through them.
They was great days...

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-29-2004 09:02 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

RE: I miss the 80's Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
vs

The 80s were basically my latter childhood. I don't miss them, and most of the music of that backwards-sliding period. At least I didn't have to deal with bell-bottoms and disco during the 80's. Tongue

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
07-29-2004 11:15 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

RE: I miss the 80's Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
quote:
vs

The 80s were basically my latter childhood. I don't miss them, and most of the music of that backwards-sliding period. At least I didn't have to deal with bell-bottoms and disco during the 80's. Tongue

Instead there were leg warmers and parachute pants.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
07-29-2004 11:19 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

members only

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-29-2004 11:50 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
EarlyFan EarlyFan is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 07-27-2004

RE: Whats your favorite DA concert experience? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey all, this is my first post here and I thought this would be a good thread to introduce myself. I've seen the boys many times, the first being the most memorable... probably because it was the first time!
Anywho, it was the late 70's and I was in high school in San Jose, CA. One day at lunch I see this band setting up to play in the quad. As soon as I saw their cowboy hats, I knew who it was. I already had their first (and only) album, and I was so excited to see them... playing MY high school! I don't remember much of the show, and the rest of the student body was really indifferent to them (it was a public school). Unfortunately I was painfully shy and did not have the courage to say hi to them. I remember calling my friend Allen who went to another school and bragging about what I had just seen. The next night he calls me and tells me they played his school as well. Apparently they played several schools in the area and then did a concert at the end of the week at a nice theater. Of course, me and Allen were in attendance and enjoyed it thoughrouly (I think I still have the t-shirt!). They did the whole "side 2" of Shotgun Angel as well. The lineup was already the SA band as I recall.

Pretty wild that bands did that back then... play for free all week in a town and do one show on the weekend. I remember asking Jerry Chamberlin about that years later (Kalhoun tour I think) and he was equally dumbfounded as to how they were able to survive in those days.

Other memorable concerts were:
The Amos & Randy show... in Edmonton, Alberta while I was in Bible College. They toured with Uncle Rand and did stuff from SA and HD. Also backed up Randy on some numbers, with plenty of whackiness between Terry and Jerry.

Also in Edmonton, on the Alarma tour I believe. Nobody knew what to think of that one. Totally unexpected by the crowd... a stripped down 4 piece blazing through at double speed what had become an anthem in our dorm..."I Love You #19". stunned faces everywhere. However they were able to generate some audience participation on "New Car".

At Knotts Berry farm on a christian music night I got to see the Vox Humana show with all the TV monitors set up everywhere and watched in amazement as the whole crowd already seemed to know the "Dance Stop" move of getting down real low to the ground and then slowly rising. Cool show!

At some church on the outskirts of L.A. I saw them with Undercover. It was the Kalhoun tour and they were the opening act. Not many fans there, but a good show nevertheless.

Got to see the Swirling Eddies a couple times at the Troubadour in West Hollywood. Great show!!! The keyboard player was wearing a chior robe and they had two, count em, two bass players. Never quite understood that. Fans twirled around on "Let's Spin".

Well I think that covers it. I've never been to C-stone so have not seen the band lately. Would love to see them again, in any form!

07-29-2004 18:00 EarlyFan is offline Send an Email to EarlyFan Search for Posts by EarlyFan Add EarlyFan to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Thanks for the fine memories EarlyFan.

i think i was at that Knott's show. Did they do the William Blake schtick that night? Was it on the stage with the wagons circled half way around?
Did they do many Wang Chung jokes (we had to ask Ed to explain those to us afterwards).

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by baxter: 07-29-2004 19:23.

07-29-2004 19:22 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

melodyland is a heck of a land!

ronald reagan is a heck of a man!

Pleased

Cool
07-29-2004 19:37 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

i grew to appreciate Reagan, but i still think Melodyland was a friggin circus, where my family wasted several years.
07-29-2004 19:47 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

that's what made that show so great! terry and the boys made fun of that kind of Christ-ian-ity right there in melodyland! i was only like 17 or 18 and i was hysterical! Big Grin

of course they never played there again.......

Cool
07-29-2004 19:50 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

The philandering liar, pastor Estes, was probably appalled by the boys.
07-29-2004 20:32 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Commander Cote
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Commander Cote
(of which Dale might remember, of course he was just a young whippersnapper back then).......
oh, GeT a HaiR CuT ! ya old hippie JeSuS FReaK !
My Bro & I went to every Pacer concert from 83 till the end... except for that one PeTra concert...

Boy
Those Youngun's just can't take it, always have to resort to name callin'. Oops, gotta go get my haircut/ Now where did I put my Greatful Dead shirt?
07-30-2004 06:00 Commander Cote is offline Send an Email to Commander Cote Search for Posts by Commander Cote Add Commander Cote to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

I do have to say, and Berger will back me up on this,
anyone who witnessed the Swirling Eddies at Lifest
witnessed a truly strange event.

That rodeo mud hole pit they played in was strangely fitting
I guess... like they wanted to seperate them from the rest
of the pop fest. It was like this strange red mud spot about
100 feet wide in the middle of all the nice green grass of the
rest of the fest, and the small Eddies stage was in the middle
of one end of that....actually the red hole, as we termed it
had a fence around too I believe.

Camarillo, Berger & Arthur with Mike "Spot" Roe,
Steve "Speckled Bird" Hindalong & Mike "Gut Boy" Stand

The Eddies were in very rare form that night, the songs were
sort of strange long jams with he vocals similar to the originals.

Driving In England
Let's Spin
Hell Oh
Tiny Town
Attack Of The Pulpit Masters
Strange Days
Billy Graham
Potential
Arthur Fhardy's Yodeling Party
Don't Hate Yourself
The Happy Wanderer

We need to edit the tapes together, and yes Berger we didn't
burn them..... heh... Cool

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-30-2004 08:46 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Pages (6): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Whats your favorite DA concert experience?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH