Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » How did you find DA? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (13): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page How did you find DA? 10 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1010 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1010 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1010 Votes - Average Rating: 9.10
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
quote:
Originally posted by sprinklerhead
quote:
i know a Bible school dropout that makes bathtub g...... oh wait, wrong thread! Big Grin

Bible school drop out. I'm starting to get flashbacks of Grease!

dennis and i are both Bible school dropouts.... you should be scared! Shocked

I am too - Trinity College.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
07-26-2004 18:13 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I bought the Choir's anthology and really liked it. When I read the liner notes, I saw that the lead singer had an association with DA. I also liked Larry Norman and saw Larry was hawking Horrendous Disk on his website. I was curious about DA, so I did a websearch and found this message board. I participated in the message board first, then I started to buy DA albums. I have nowhere near the collection of some of the others on this board, I'm sure, but I find DA's music to be very thought provoking, musically brilliant and generally very enjoyable. I can't say enough about it.

07-26-2004 18:23 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Stel Stel is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 07-26-2004

I first found DA about a year and a half ago. At the beginning of 2003, I found a book at Barnes and Noble called The Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Music. I bought it and as I read it, the author kept referring to DA, 77s, and the Lost Dogs as if they're the most important Christian rock bands ever, but I had never heard of them. I found this site and ordered their best of cd and also Mr. Beuchner's Dream, and loved both of them. I've been buying DA, SE, 77s, Lost Dogs, and Adam Again stuff almost exclusively ever since. There's still a lot of DA's music that I haven't gotten yet, but I'm still trying. Although, I'd have to say that Adam Again is probably my favorite, and whenever I get Homeboys, I'll have all their music. Smile )

I have to do all my purchasing over the internet, because, unfortunately, none of this is sold in any of the bookstores down here (south Louisiana). In fact, I've yet to find anyone down here who has even heard of DA. I'm trying to get the word out, as I've gotten some of my friends into them; but people are just too legalistic down here when it comes to music. Frown
07-26-2004 23:19 Stel is offline Send an Email to Stel Search for Posts by Stel Add Stel to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Welcome to the board, Stel.
It was a long and winding road for me to get to DA, well, not that long I guess. I first heard the choir on a local Christian radio station, Kingston Road was the song, must have been about '86. Then a friend of mine bought The Youth Choir, man I forget the name of the album, not Shades of Grey the next one, oh well. I liked that though it was bleaker than I had ever heard from Christian music before, perhaps more real is better. After that I became a real choir fan and bought a couple of albums. Then I heard Undercover and ojo's solo album and liked that as well. I was blown away by the sound of Undercover's live album fom 1987, keep in mind, all I was used to hearing was MWS et al. Anyway, early 90's I heard that Derri was joining up with some other guys, I'd heard of 77's, actually enjoyed them through a neighbour as well, but I hadn't heard of DA or Adam Again by this time. Anyway, I snapped up Scenic Routes and have been pursuing all things Terry since.

I think the first DA thing I heard was Vox Humana, I co-worker at a camp I was at had borrowed it from his older brother and I loved that, come to think of it I had heard Lets Spin by then too, so I guess that was the first thing I heard from Terry. Shortly after that I found Fearful Symmetry in a box in Florida or three bucks or so and bought that, loved that too, the rest as they say is history.

I turned 6 in 1977.

07-27-2004 08:44 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Stel
... I'm trying to get the word out, as I've gotten some of my friends into them; but people are just too legalistic down here when it comes to music. Frown

That was a really cool story, thanks for sharing! Smile

I do wonder, though - do these same people you refer to that are legalistic with music go to Mardi Gras, or is that a totally different area?

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
07-27-2004 08:47 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
i know a Bible school dropout that makes bathtub g...... oh wait, wrong thread! Big Grin

Actually, I'm beginning to become more scareed of those that completed Bible school! Shocked Frown

Got a few miles left ...

07-27-2004 08:48 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

I completed Bible college, does that make me an evil person around here??? Smile

07-27-2004 08:54 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

youngster Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm just a youngster, only got into DA in the last 2-3 years. It all started with City on a Hil...I heard Derri's voice and was amazed. Picked up GRS from the Dogs because it had Derri's name on the shrink-wrap. Fell in love. Didn't pick up MBD because I was afraid it was country Baby Got Summershine from VOL instead. Heard Ordinary Extraordinary Day on the radio, went back the next week and got MBD. Started picking up everything I can get from Terry, as well as all the other Lost Dogs related artists.
07-27-2004 09:22 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Gabriel Syme Gabriel Syme is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-135.gif

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Reading back through the posts in this thread, I see that most folks who have listened to Daniel Amos for a long time went through a period of not keeping up with the guys. I'm not sure why that is. I'm not even sure why it happened to me.
07-27-2004 10:08 Gabriel Syme is offline Search for Posts by Gabriel Syme Add Gabriel Syme to your Buddy List
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel Syme
Reading back through the posts in this thread, I see that most folks who have listened to Daniel Amos for a long time went through a period of not keeping up with the guys. I'm not sure why that is. I'm not even sure why it happened to me.

Mine was due to several backslidden years where I thought I was too cool for anything christian. Little did I know that I was just a loser making a mess of my life. When I came back to the Lord, I was happy to see that DA was still recording. I bought SOTH and picked up where I left off. That album has been my favorite ever since.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
07-27-2004 10:26 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
I completed Bible college, does that make me an evil person around here??? Smile

Only if you call yourself "Scripture Man" (as in from "Hide the Beer, the Pastor's Here"). Wink Tongue

Got a few miles left ...

07-27-2004 11:29 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Mark Heard. That's how. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was hoping to copy-and-paste one of the dozens of times I've already written the account (the words "Organ Bar" should've turned up SOMETHING more useful Big Grin ), so that's all y'r getting 'cause I'm too jaded to do it all over again. Tongue

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
07-27-2004 11:39 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

CS-
COOL - cuz you keep changing your story anyway.
Which one should we go with?
The "My Mama force fed me this stuff"
or the
" I hated the choir so much- I wanted revenge?"

jk there dude, jk..

I do find it interesting that a number of us (me too) sort of got drawn back in through SOTH.
I actually thought the cover art was great- I thought:

Well - this couldnt be what they mean..what DO they mean?
and it was indeed- what they meant-
Thanks Bud and Irma......
love and stuff

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-27-2004 11:54 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Yeah, I was a dropout Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Honestly...

When Lets Spin came out and I saw who the guys were, I figured DA was dead. I was very upset. I had absolutely no interest at the time in a new Terry band that wasn't DA. I dropped off for 6 years until I saw Bibleland. Then I realized I missed two others (Kalhoun & Motorcycle).

What a stupid thing to do. Since then I've spent a lot of time and money getting every recording that I've missed plus all the CD reissues, occasionally resorting to Ebay.

Crying

07-27-2004 12:22 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
jwaltb
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-23-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Stel
I have to do all my purchasing over the internet, because, unfortunately, none of this is sold in any of the bookstores down here (south Louisiana). In fact, I've yet to find anyone down here who has even heard of DA. I'm trying to get the word out, as I've gotten some of my friends into them; but people are just too legalistic down here when it comes to music. Frown

Hey south La.!! I thought I was the only fan down here. Where you from?

JB
07-27-2004 12:42 jwaltb is offline Send an Email to jwaltb Search for Posts by jwaltb Add jwaltb to your Buddy List
jwaltb
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-23-2002

Hey Stel-LA! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well, I just noticed the stats next to your post. Lafayette, huh? I grew up there but now make the booming metropolis of Eunice my home (them country women!!) Glad to see we have another fan down here. Now if we can find a few more maybe we can get in on the next BBQ tour or somethin'! Welcome aboard.

JB
07-27-2004 12:54 jwaltb is offline Send an Email to jwaltb Search for Posts by jwaltb Add jwaltb to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Sad Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel Syme

Mine was due to several backslidden years where I thought I was too cool for anything christian. Little did I know that I was just a loser making a mess of my life. When I came back to the Lord, I was happy to see that DA was still recording. I bought SOTH and picked up where I left off. That album has been my favorite ever since.

i didn't know they were still together during most of the 90's... i moved from SoCal to Spokane and when i asked about them in the so-called Christian bookstores here, i just got the deer in the headlights look... Roll Eyes
thank God for DanielAmos.com and other online outlets! Smile )

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Joey T.: 07-27-2004 14:04.

07-27-2004 14:03 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

See? It all makes sense now! Shocked

07-27-2004 14:03 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Lamp Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

we should all start a band and call it the Bible school dropouts! Pleased

07-27-2004 14:05 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

we should all start a band and call it the Bible school dropouts! Pleased

"You know that band! They are always drinking!" Tongue Shocked

07-27-2004 14:07 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (13): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » How did you find DA?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH