Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Minority Report » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Minority Report
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 The Minority Report Jevon the Tall 07-14-2004 20:21
 RE: The Minority Report Mountain Fan 07-14-2004 22:41
 RE: The Minority Report bereal 07-15-2004 00:00
 RE: The Minority Report Jevon the Tall 07-15-2004 01:53
 RE: The Minority Report carl 07-15-2004 07:30
 RE: The Minority Report Mountain Fan 07-15-2004 11:44
 RE: The Minority Report carl 07-15-2004 11:54
 RE: The Minority Report Mountain Fan 07-15-2004 11:57
 RE: The Minority Report ProdigalDog 07-15-2004 06:43
 RE: The Minority Report carl 07-15-2004 07:38
 RE: The Minority Report jiminy 07-15-2004 08:12
 RE: The Minority Report Eleanor 07-15-2004 08:56
 RE: The Minority Report carl 07-15-2004 09:25
 RE: The Minority Report carl 07-15-2004 12:01
 RE: The Minority Report Jevon the Tall 07-15-2004 12:39
 RE: The Minority Report audiori 07-15-2004 12:48
 RE: The Minority Report Mountain Fan 07-15-2004 12:55
 RE: The Minority Report DaLe 07-15-2004 13:41
 RE: The Minority Report carl 07-15-2004 13:42
 RE: The Minority Report audiori 07-15-2004 13:14
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

The Minority Report Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

... one stuffed sock later ...

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Jevon the Tall: 07-17-2004 19:05.

07-14-2004 20:21 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

stick a sock in it devo jevo! Tongue

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
07-14-2004 22:41 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Dude, what's wrong with you? Confused Mutt is great, IMHO! Cool Pleased Steve's percussion adds to the CD (and to the show!) Tongue Now if I had played those percussion instruments, I would sound like a 5 year old banging away on em, but Steve has the technique down, especially playing more than one percussion instrument at a time. And to watch him is very interesting. His expressive eyes show his level of concentration.

btw, have you ever tried to play the drums???????

A few weeks ago we got together with some friends for a BBQ and jam session. Their son plays drums, but he had went to a friends house, so we took turns playing the drums. When it was my turn, I couldn't believe how hard it was to play. Red Face I can keep a beat, no problem, but to make the percussion sound good was the challenge. I don't think I quite met the challenge! Big Grin

Mutt does sound a little more countrified than SR/LRRH era, but I think it's wonderful! All that comin from a country girl at heart! Big Grin Wink

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
07-15-2004 00:00 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Thread Starter Thread Started by Jevon the Tall

I'm not saying Steve's he's not talented - unlike a certail carl, I have all of the Choir's albums.

What I'm saying is choice of percussion as accent - particularly some of the choices don't work well. I've played the album for a number of others who have commented on it as well.

Hey it's a good album.

I'll put a sock in it, of course if that's what you want. I'd hate to be the only one who makes any less than perfect comments about the boys.

07-15-2004 01:53 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jevon the Tall
I'm not saying Steve's he's not talented - unlike a certail carl, I have all of the Choir's albums.

Hey, don't bite the hand that's still slapping you on the back.... Evil

quote:
Hey it's a good album..

Well, it's better than Real Men Cry, anyway. In the words of Randy Jackson, it's just aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, dawg. Tongue

quote:
I'll put a sock in it, of course if that's what you want. I'd hate to be the only one who makes any less than perfect comments about the boys.

Dude, I SO have yr back (but I suspect you've already noticed that).... Big Grin

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
07-15-2004 07:30 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by carl
quote:
[quote]Hey it's a good album..

Well, it's better than Real Men Cry, anyway. In the words of Randy Jackson, it's just aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, dawg. Tongue

quote:

Dude, I SO have yr back (but I suspect you've already noticed that).... Big Grin

It is NOT better than Real Men Cry! Mad

Divergent opinions OK. I do in fact have a less than perfect opinion of MUTT, just not as down on it as some are.

Got a few miles left ...

07-15-2004 11:44 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
quote:
quote:

quote:

Is too. At least the version they released. "Sterile" is the only word I can think of for it. Got to be a production thing, considering....

Incredibly -- especially considering my low opinion of live albums in general -- if you put together all the live takes I have of stuff from RMC you have a MUCH better album. Heck, I'd rather have "In the Distance" from the Dogs DVD as a single than all of the "official" RMC put together. What an incredible performance.

07-15-2004 11:54 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
quote:
quote:

quote:

Is too. At least the version they released. "Sterile" is the only word I can think of for it. Got to be a production thing, considering....

Incredibly -- especially considering my low opinion of live albums in general -- if you put together all the live takes I have of stuff from RMC you have a MUCH better album. Heck, I'd rather have "In the Distance" from the Dogs DVD as a single than all of the "official" RMC put together. What an incredible performance.

I would usually rather have them live, too. But even with possible production issues, RMC is superior to MUTT. The originals outweigh the old rework IMHO. Tongue Tongue

Got a few miles left ...

07-15-2004 11:57 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
ProdigalDog ProdigalDog is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 05-20-2003

I have really enjoyed the new CD, MUTT. Perhaps it helped to see the Lost Dogs play live (and watch Steve do his groovy thing on precussions) before hearing the CD (but I don't think so). Also, I have never had much exposure to The Chior or 77's so many of the songs are actually new to me and I don't have any preconceived notions about those songs. I can't find any fault with the CD, really (other than it is too short -- but how many times does that have to be said?).

Someone can always find fault with something, though, and there is no way even a band as gifted as the Lost Dogs are can please everybody all the time. The problem I have always had with critics is that basically, what they are doing is stating their opinion (or bias in some cases). Take a typical movie: one critic raves about it and another thinks it stinks. Which one is right?

Anyway, as TST says: "Don't lay your hate on me bro!"
07-15-2004 06:43 ProdigalDog is offline Search for Posts by ProdigalDog Add ProdigalDog to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ProdigalDog
Someone can always find fault with something, though, and there is no way even a band as gifted as the Lost Dogs are can please everybody all the time. The problem I have always had with critics is that basically, what they are doing is stating their opinion (or bias in some cases).

Well, YEAH. The audioris might as well shut the board down if we're gonna limit the posts here to non-opinions. Tongue

quote:
Take a typical movie: one critic raves about it and another thinks it stinks. Which one is right?

Either the one who's honest or the one who exposes his biases so nakedly that he ends up serving his enemy anyway. I've bought many a CD/movie ticket based on a negative review, because something that someone so clearly wrong could hate so much MUST, therefore, be something I'd like. Big Grin

07-15-2004 07:38 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Jev and all-
it must be a matter of taste- because I loved all steves touches on the tunes on the very first listen. To me it sounds like an original flare for the Dogs (and one they wont repeat, Im sure some are hoping.).

So did the (not a lot) that I have let hear it. One new "convert" here at work comented on it without any prompting- "ohh, I like the chimes and all"

Is just interesting that the thing I felt was the glue sounds to you like the sandpaper.
I will concur (IMHO) that Tims excellent work is subdued, but the entire tone of the project has a subdued feel..and well, thats just me.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-15-2004 08:12 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Eleanor Eleanor is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-641.jpg

for the record

I'm with carl and jev on this one

don't hate it, but I don't love it
07-15-2004 08:56 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

In its defense (somewhat), the people I brought to the show loved it. I can't wait to watch their heads to explode when I turn them on to the REALLY good stuff. Big Grin

07-15-2004 09:25 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

If all things were equal (i.e., if it could be judged purely on the songs), I'd probably agree. Pleased

07-15-2004 12:01 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Woolly Eggwhisk

Thread Starter Thread Started by Jevon the Tall

carl, you rock.

... and to all, let me clarify - this is good. And it will grow on me even more with time. Like all LD albums, this is just part of the litter.

The boys live are a treat, one of the best who in my opinion deserve bigger audiences than they draw. But when you think on it, they can go almost anywhere and draw close to a hundred fan. They're not huge, but they are everywhere.

Jim, and all who really like it - good.

It was cool to read the 3am column, he visits the board once in a while, and he's pretty funny.

Back to the beach ... it's summer.

07-15-2004 12:39 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Well, YEAH. The audioris might as well shut the board
down if we're gonna limit the posts here to non-opinions.

We are not against the expression of opinion.

I guess what we deal with is what exactly is the purpose
of expressing a negative review? What is the goal?
Is it to discourage others from buying so the guys go broke
and have to retire?

Anyone ever hear the phrase; "If you can't say something nice..."

Why is it when something is released that the guys
are counting on selling to pay the bills... so they don't
go too far in debt...that people have take financial risks
to produce... that people have paid for good advertising
on... there is always a couple fans that imediately feel the
need to express to all the outlets their dissapointment
with the project? Like it's their campaign to sink the
release....

Is it to help the guys? Or is it to hurt them?

I really am trying to understand this phenomenon.
I mean if you don't like the style of an album...fine, but
whats the NEED to express that to everyone?

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-15-2004 12:48 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
quote:

of expressing a negative review? What is the goal?
Is it to discourage others from buying so the guys go broke
and have to retire?

Why is it when something is released that the guys
are counting on selling to pay the bills... so they don't
go too far in debt...that people have take financial risks
to produce... that people have paid for good advertising
on... there is always a couple fans that imediately feel the
need to express to all the outlets their dissapointment
with the project? Like it's their campaign to sink the
release....

Is it to help the guys? Or is it to hurt them?

I really am trying to understand this phenomenon.
I mean if you don't like the style of an album...fine, but
whats the NEED to express that to everyone?

I have made many good and not-so-good comments about MUTT. I would certainly respect and understand if you say no more, or move these threads to the dump.

But I hope the boys can manage to hear reality and both good and bad of what fans think. If you really think this drivel might really impact sales, then I would advising moving the threads to the dump IMHO.

And I would encourage anyone to buy MUTT, the price is worth admission by any standards. Pleased

Got a few miles left ...

07-15-2004 12:55 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

quote:
?

I have Pleased

Big Grin

Roll Eyes

07-15-2004 13:41 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

quote:
quote:

(several deep breaths and edits later....)

I was sorta hoping that you'd realize that wasn't directed at you. Just making yet again the point that 98% of what goes on here is opinion, and that getting bent over it is almost always uglier than the opinion itself.

quote:
of expressing a negative review? What is the goal? Is it to discourage others from buying so the guys go broke and have to retire?

I think it's to expunge guilt for knowing that being honest would inevitably result in these kind of posts, in my case. Tongue And because I see this place as one where I can be honest, even if we disagree.

quote:

I have. But it's why most churches suck. It's certainly why my current day job glows with warmth. And why we need bands like the ones we all appreciate who don't say something nice either, and boards where we can lay it out with fear of repercussion.

quote:
Why is it when something is released that the guys are counting on selling to pay the bills... so they don't go too far in debt...that people have take financial risks to produce... that people have paid for good advertising on... there is always a couple fans that imediately feel the
need to express to all the outlets their dissapointment with the project? Like it's their campaign to sink the release.... Is it to help the guys? Or is it to hurt them?

It's to give an opinion, and thus help others sort out their own. See my comment from the post you quoted the above from re: negative reviews. Nobody's done a unilateral slam here. But if you like....

To anyone who reads this thread and decides not to buy Mutt strictly on the basis of it: Y'r a stone moron. Get a life. Tongue

quote:
I really am trying to understand this phenomenon. I mean if you don't like the style of an album...fine, but whats the NEED to express that to everyone?

Because we're FANS, that's why. We kvetch because we care. Tongue

carl
np: a really really bad album released 6/28 to hear my opinion of it depicted by others than myself Tongue

This post has been edited 5 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 07-15-2004 14:16.

07-15-2004 13:42 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Well, not sure we want to do that. I am just trying to
understand the spirit behind such posts.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-15-2004 13:14 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Minority Report

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH