Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Minority Report » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Minority Report
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Thread Starter Thread Started by Jevon the Tall
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

... one to the leg.

07-15-2004 21:24 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor
quote:
Originally posted by audiori

Maybe the real key is the timing of the negative comments,
if they happen exactly when something is being sold and they
go to the exact customer base... thats hurtful. There is no other
way to put it.

but what if something REALLY sucks? (not that anything has or does or will, it's just a question) The kind of suck where everyone thinks it glows with warmth, even you guys! Shocked

You mean like M8's Little Red Riding Hood reissue?

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-15-2004 21:31 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Pedantic
Other than to say (edit) not every one has a DVD player....

Yeah...I call those people luddites! Tongue

jeffrey k.

07-15-2004 21:39 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Jevon the Tall
I said it was good. How is that negative?....

I promise to make no more comments other than rose coloured glasses comments ....

Again, we weren't making any comments directly about anything
here necessarily. We said that several times in our post... not
everything we said applies to everyone's comments. Most of our
comments weren't even about Mutt...

We're also not saying that no one can ever be negative or post
negative opinions about a release... we're just saying that the fans
should keep in mind that their words may be read by people that
are deciding whether or not to buy a new release... if within days of
something being released, someone feels the urge to post to the
DAmb, the 77smb, the DADL, the DADL-OT, the Lost Dogs list and
the 77s listserv explaining how bad the project is... stop and think
for a moment about how that might affect sales of a project that is
only a few days old. Is the goal to talk someone out of buying the
project? Sometimes, it feels like that is the goal of a few... (again,
not directed to you or anyone else necessarily).

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-15-2004 21:39 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Eleanor Eleanor is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-641.jpg

quote:
quote:
quote:

Maybe the real key is the timing of the negative comments,
if they happen exactly when something is being sold and they
go to the exact customer base... thats hurtful. There is no other
way to put it.

but what if something REALLY sucks? (not that anything has or does or will, it's just a question) The kind of suck where everyone thinks it glows with warmth, even you guys! Shocked

yeah, like that
07-15-2004 22:07 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
quote:

yeah, like that

Well... hopefully, nothing will ever suck that bad...
If something is unauthorized and unapproved - trash
it all ya want. Smile

07-15-2004 22:48 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
I promise to make no more comments other than rose coloured glasses comments in light of being called an idiot like Peter.

Oh jeez.... Roll Eyes

quote:
Who I've only met once, and his comments were about the train more than the dogs. Peter is a reviewer who didn't like the allusion and went off on it. He also has really unruly hair, maybe that's what has him on edge.

No....that isn't what he did. He started by critiquing my liner notes on the Damb because he didn't agree with them. Liner notes. I didn't know who he was, so I thought it was a bit of a joke and responded rather flip to more or less get over it. And then he started in on everything else. The DVD didn't hold his attention, the commentary tracks weren't long enough, the choice of Chicago as a city to film in didn't make sense because it's not a "cowboy town" and the Dogs call themselves a "cowboy band", the train images didn't make sense....and so on. And yeah....at the end of all this he would say he "liked it". Like being overly critical and then adding "but I like it" somehow makes it an actual critique vs. someone just being a prick in a public forum because they can? And the worst part, no matter what I said to explain the film choices I was being "defensive". Hell yeah I was defensive. Who wouldn't be? I had just spent thousands of dollars and countless hours of work to bring this release out, and I was watching ONE guy go on several public forums where the very fans of this band hang out, and he's nitpicking the DVD and people are paying attention.....and at the same time the orders dropped from roughly 40 a day, to 2 total over the 7 day period following his mass posting.

So you tell me Jevon, how was that "discussion" good for business???

And here is the part that I think perhaps you and several others have a problem with, like it or not, overtly negative comments on these message boards/lists DO effect sales. And I'm not talking about the "I'm not a big fan of this song" type comments....it's this stuff: "but what sinks the album is Steve. I mean what was with all of the tacky percussion, and cutesy patterns - e.g. the scandelous version of said night. At least he's buried in the mix, sadly so is Tim...Steve added his highschool marching band glockenspiel to the mix and it was truly horrible...." and "Maybe I'll start a thread where I unload on MUTT - a "nice" album where the word cutesy comes to mind more often than the oohs and ahs. It's like they've decided that in order to be the Dogs their songs have to verge on boring to be considered." Jevon, you said that stuff, and yeah man...you sold me...it really sounds like you like Mutt. Roll Eyes Maybe I'm missing something, but how can saying that stuff be interpreted as "I actually like this and it's worth picking up?" You tell me, cause I'm missing it.

And yeah, should people think for themselves....yeah....but sometimes they don't. Plus, the majority of people on these boards don't have the time or money to buy something they might only like a little bit, so they look to others for opinions and strong opinions DO often shape decisions. So while neither myself or the Townsends want to stifle free speech, when you personally are involved with the money, time, and effort that went into bringing even the smallest release to a fanbase, it's very troubling when people start picking at a release right away because you do need every sale to count.....and the negative stuff DOES turn people away.

And here is the thing, and I mean this, if Peter had written an actual review of the DVD and had it published in Christianity Today (or something like that) with all of his gripes intact, I really don't think it would have mattered that much. It would still have been annoying, but I doubt it would have effected sales that much because they don't cater to the fanbase, and if you actually read his gripes it sounds like he has a personal bone to pick, and I think the casual reader would have been able to pick up on that. But instead he went right to the fan-base and that is where the damage was done.

If anything, I think this has been a needed discussion, and I think it's been a longtime coming. I really like the Townsends thoughts here: We're not saying that no one can ever be negative or post negative opinions about a release... we're just saying that the fans should keep in mind that their words may be read by people that are deciding whether or not to buy a new release... if within days (or weeks) of something being released, someone feels the urge to post to the DAmb, the 77smb, the DADL, the DADL-OT, the Lost Dogs list and the 77s listserv explaining how bad the project is...(or just overtly negative stuff) stop and think for a moment about how that might affect sales of a project that is only a few days old.

anyway....

jeffrey k.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jeffrey k.: 07-18-2004 20:39.

07-15-2004 23:55 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Since this site is all about supporting the band perhaps it would be wise to take negative comments to the dump. I'm all for that if it keeps sales up. That is the purpose of this site right???

By the way, Did you get my email Jeffery? I got the CD today and love it. Every song is better than the original Tongue I think we all agree that even if we don't like a Terry CD as much as another it is better than anything else out there so it's always 5 stars (in my book anyway) Pleased

07-16-2004 00:54 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
Since this site is all about supporting the band perhaps it would be wise to take negative comments to the dump. I'm all for that if it keeps sales up. That is the purpose of this site right???

Amen brutha!

quote:
Every song is better than the original Tongue I think we all agree that even if we don't like a Terry CD as much as another it is better than anything else out there so it's always 5 stars (in my book anyway) Pleased

Oh, yeah! Pleased

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
07-16-2004 01:03 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith

By the way, Did you get my email Jeffery? I got the CD today and love it. Every song is better than the original Tongue I think we all agree that even if we don't like a Terry CD as much as another it is better than anything else out there so it's always 5 stars (in my book anyway) Pleased

I think maybe audis should consider something like "stuff ALL reviews in the dump for 1 month" or something. Or "if you have posted more than 50 times to the board, put your review in the dump for a month or two". I don't know, but apparently it does cost the band and I sure don't want to mess with their pocketbook, even though I do feel I'm entitled to my opinion, good or bad.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
07-16-2004 08:39 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Pedantic
It's all that old business creedo that a happy customer will tell 2 people and an unhappy one will tell 11.

I rent with a manager at McDonalds and he made the comment that a customer who walks away never to return is a loss of $NZ25,000 to the company.

I thought about this, too.

The other thing I thought about is this:
This is CCM somewhat and church people are involved. I would say even more than the general public, church people tend to be more easily misled and confused, which further compounds the problem. Red Face Tongue

Got a few miles left ...

07-16-2004 08:41 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

My review - at least the gist of it Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm currently hammering out a review on MusicTAP for "Mutt", but in light of the brouhaha, I figured I'd step in and say something.

"Mutt" is going to be reviewed alongside two other discs, all featuring (let's be honest) the gimmick of revisting the artist(s)' past: "Mutt", "The Randy Newman Songbook Vol. 1" and Rush's "Feedback". Of the three, "Mutt" works best because of the variety aspect of it. Three voices interchanging across examples of each performer's body of work. I like that and feel it is closer to what the Dogs should be.

Don't get me wrong. I loved "Gift Horse", "Real Men Cry" and "Nazarene Crying Towel", but all three found Terry becoming the leader of the band. That unique soundingboard for all vocalists to try something different was quickly changing because only one vision was guiding the writing. Although hinged in revisitation, "Mutt" is closer to the ideal of "Scenic Routes" than the band has been in a long time, and I welcome it.

As for The Randy Newman Songbook Vol. 1, there are two fatal flaws with it in my eyes. The first is that it's just Randy and the piano, which is fine because he's insanely talented. But a whole disc of just that approach is hard to get comfortable with, especially a bawdy barnburner like "You Can Leave Your Hat On". The second flaw is that his song from Toy Story 2 "When She Loved Me" is here only as instrumental. That's like reciting a poem and cutting out all the nouns.

"Feedback" from Rush finds the prog/hard rock legends revisiting the classic songs from the 60s that caused Lee, Lifeson & Peart to be in music. Some of the songs work very well; "Heart Full Of Soul", "Mr. Soul", even a more-faithful version of "Summertime Blues" works better than the Blue Cheer version of the Eddie Cochran tune. Some tunes don't work at all. The literal-minded, straightforward approach of Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth" is so dated and far away from Neil Peart's sometimes cryptic lyrics, causing the tune to sound less like a tribute and more like karaoke. Their version of "Crossroads" from Robert Johnson is very good but pales in comparison to Cream's cover (the version Rush is paying respect to here).

But yeah, "Mutt" stays truest to the original intent of the Lost Dogs than those other two discs do in theirs', in my opinion.

DwD
07-16-2004 10:02 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

RE: My review - at least the gist of it Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
Don't get me wrong. I loved "Gift Horse", "Real Men Cry" and "Nazarene Crying Towel", but all three found Terry becoming the leader of the band. That unique soundingboard for all vocalists to try something different was quickly changing because only one vision was guiding the writing. Although hinged in revisitation, "Mutt" is closer to the ideal of "Scenic Routes" than the band has been in a long time, and I welcome it.
DwD

Right on!! I love Terry to the point that my wife and friends are tired of hearing me talk about him but, I agree. The appeal of the earlier Dogs recordings were that each member was bringing something to the recording sessions. It gave great variety to the CDs. The last few releases have been heavy handed towards Terry's input. Really, I am not complaining because I love the stuff that Terry does. I would just like to see the other guys shine a little more too.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
07-16-2004 10:13 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

What bothers me... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

There isn't a lot of music out there like The Dogs, in any capacity. Maybe Pinetop Seven, Calexico and (now) Jim White, but the venue for the americana-style of music is getting smaller and smaller. And it also seems that there is still a large sector of the fans that just want the Dogs to rock.

But the band is very different now, more reflective. They lost an integral member, have been in the "industry" for quite some time, all were promised the moon by the big labels at one point or another and alll of them got moldy cheese as their payback. With that in mind, I can see how the Dogs would collectively say, "this is the truest expression of us, where we are, right now."

Now, would I welcome a rockin' Eddies, Sevens or Choir release in the future? Sure. But I understand the crux of what the Dogs are and, actually have always been, and if someone listens to a disc for what they want versus what is there, they will always be disappointed. "What you want" is almost uniformly much more than most are able to give, and it is very much an unfair benchmark to ask for.

But that's me rambling.
DwD
07-16-2004 10:19 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Thread Starter Thread Started by Jevon the Tall

... ack head shot.

White flag - I give, move this to the dump or delete it.

J.

07-16-2004 10:20 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

RE: What bothers me... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
There isn't a lot of music out there like The Dogs, in any capacity. Maybe Pinetop Seven, Calexico and (now) Jim White, but the venue for the americana-style of music is getting smaller and smaller. And it also seems that there is still a large sector of the fans that just want the Dogs to rock.

But the band is very different now, more reflective. They lost an integral member, have been in the "industry" for quite some time, all were promised the moon by the big labels at one point or another and alll of them got moldy cheese as their payback. With that in mind, I can see how the Dogs would collectively say, "this is the truest expression of us, where we are, right now."

Now, would I welcome a rockin' Eddies, Sevens or Choir release in the future? Sure. But I understand the crux of what the Dogs are and, actually have always been, and if someone listens to a disc for what they want versus what is there, they will always be disappointed. "What you want" is almost uniformly much more than most are able to give, and it is very much an unfair benchmark to ask for.

But that's me rambling.
DwD

Excellent post.

As a side note, do you have the latest Jim White record? I have that "wrong eyed jesus" CD and I like it, but I've sorta lost touch since then. He did a movie recently, a documentary on the underbelly of southern culture that also features 16 Horsepower that I'd really like to see. I think right now it only has Euro distro.

jeffrey k.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jeffrey k.: 07-16-2004 10:42.

07-16-2004 10:41 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

"forward..then back
forward..then back

forward..then back..."

Jim Garrisons narrative on the Zapruter film....

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-16-2004 10:49 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

RE: What bothers me... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

But that's me rambling.
DwD

Excellent post.

I don't just want the Dogs to rock.
Just rock a little more than recently.

Got a few miles left ...

07-16-2004 11:42 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

RE: My review - at least the gist of it Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by sprinklerhead
quote:
DwD

Right on!! I love Terry to the point that my wife and friends are tired of hearing me talk about him but, I agree. The appeal of the earlier Dogs recordings were that each member was bringing something to the recording sessions. It gave great variety to the CDs. The last few releases have been heavy handed towards Terry's input. Really, I am not complaining because I love the stuff that Terry does. I would just like to see the other guys shine a little more too.

I would still take Gift Horse, Real Men Cry, or Nazarene Crying Towel over Mutt most anyday! (But Mutt would be a VERY close 2nd). Pleased

To me, the ones with real variety on Mutt are "It's So Sad" and "I'm Setting You Free". Otherwise, I think the musical spread on Mutt is somewhat narrower than previous releases.

BUT BUY THE * THING AND DEVELOP YOU OWN * OPINION, IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY, ALRIGHT? Tongue Big Grin Red Face
(that is a general statement directed squarely at the lurking public! - I see you!)

Got a few miles left ...

07-16-2004 11:46 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Jeffrey - On Jim White Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was sent his most recent disc, "Drill A Hole In That Substrate And Tell Me What You See" from his PR people (He's on David Byrne's Luaka Bop label).

I hadn't heard of him before but, man, the disc knocked me out. There are two songs, "The Girl From Brownsville Texas" and "Static On The Radio" (featuring Aimee Mann) that are irresponsibly replayable. Good stuff.

But this is my point about the Lost Dogs that is so important to me: they fill an ever shinking position in music (and let's not get into the whole Christian vs. secular thing. Music is music!). Acoustic-based, Americana-styled pop is a very small genre, getting smaller. Two inches to the left and it is Country. Two inches to the right and it's pop music. The guys keep it level on the level (as Stephen King once put it) and again, it is an expression of who they are now, and I admire them much for it.

Now, for those who dig the recent Dogs stuff, here are some suggestions.

Jim White's "Drill A Hole...". Yeah, there are occasional issues with language, but it's not considerably harsh... More rural than excessively offensive.

Calexico "Feast Of Wire" is exactly how their name suggests. California pop a'la Eagles with a heap of Mexican musicianship and eccentricity added. Good stuff.

Pinetop Seven "Rigging The Toplights" You can't go wrong with Darren Richards & The Seven, but this one is particularly excellent. All fans of heartfelt music will love "Drying Out".

Richard Buckner. If I have to tell you about Richard Buckner, we're never getting on with this conversation - It'll just take too long and mash notes can be tedious reading.

DwD
07-16-2004 12:38 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Pages (5): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Minority Report

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH