Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Ed! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Ed! 2 Votes - Average Rating: 9.002 Votes - Average Rating: 9.002 Votes - Average Rating: 9.002 Votes - Average Rating: 9.00
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 Ed! PuP 05-03-2004 22:46
 RE: Ed! dennis 05-04-2004 07:44
 RE: Ed! John Foxe 05-04-2004 08:09
 RE: Ed! zippetydoodaddy 05-04-2004 11:53
 RE: Ed! Joey T. 05-04-2004 12:10
 "here come the drums..." Eis 05-04-2004 12:30
 RE: Ed! dennis 05-04-2004 13:19
 RE: Ed! wes berlin 05-04-2004 14:03
 RE: Ed! Stuart Pedasso 05-04-2004 14:25
 RE: Ed! dennis 05-04-2004 14:26
 RE: Ed! wes berlin 05-04-2004 14:33
 RE: Ed! dennis 05-04-2004 14:26
 RE: Ed! zippetydoodaddy 05-04-2004 14:38
 RE: Ed! Stuart Pedasso 05-04-2004 14:52
 RE: Ed! Vox Robotica 05-04-2004 15:05
 RE: Ed! audiori 05-04-2004 15:07
 RE: Ed! dennis 05-04-2004 17:11
 RE: Ed! Vox Robotica 05-04-2004 17:16
 RE: Ed! dennis 05-04-2004 17:20
 RE: Ed! PuP 05-04-2004 15:20
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Ed! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Feel free to chime in with your opinion (like any of you needed prodding for that!), but I have been listening to MBD lately and have come to the conclusion that Mr. McTaggert may just be the finest example of a rock n' roll drummer I've found.

Of course, I'm excluding Neil Peart by calling him a "percussionist".

Who's on the short list? Roger Taylor (Queen)? Stewart Copeland (The Police)? Bill Bruford (Yes)?

I'd certainly put Ed up against any of them.

05-03-2004 22:46 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

He sounds really good!

DFBB.
Kalhoun.
MBD.

You name it.
He's good! Cool

05-04-2004 07:44 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Some of the best drummers have distinctive styles.

Stewart Copeland is one of the best, and his style is recognizable and unique.

I would also add David Robinson of The Cars. If you've ever heard their music, David's drumming is clear and crisp, and plays right in to the catchy hooks.

I don't know if I can define Ed's style, but clearly his heart and soul went into MBD. This was among his best efforts. He still has it after all these years.

I wonder if Jeb McSwaggert will show himself on the new Eddies recording. That would be too cool!

05-04-2004 08:09 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
zippetydoodaddy zippetydoodaddy is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-29-2003
Location: Lust is the craving for salt of a man who is dying of thirst. - F.B.

Larry Mullen Jr.

Have you heard MoFo?

Ed cracks me up on Big Dorks Cornerstone 84 DVD. In the heart of 80s electro drum machine hell, there's Ed, standing up and smashing away at those octagon shaped drum pads and a couple ride cymbals.

MBD is great though.

August 2005
05-04-2004 11:53 zippetydoodaddy is offline Send an Email to zippetydoodaddy Homepage of zippetydoodaddy Search for Posts by zippetydoodaddy Add zippetydoodaddy to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

tst: "come in here ed..."

ed: "ok...." Cool

05-04-2004 12:10 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

"here come the drums..." Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Ed for sure, I'd also include The A-Train (Mr. Aaron Smith) of the 77's and later Rich Muliins' Ragamuffin Band on the list
05-04-2004 12:30 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

The A-Train! Cool

Stewart Copeland is pretty awesome too! Cool

05-04-2004 13:19 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

there is no doubt that ed is fantastic!

other drummers:

ringo
charlie watts
john bonham
eric carr
tommy lee
eric singer
stan lynch
buddy rich
ray cooper (yeah, i know he's a percussionist....but he is incredible)

05-04-2004 14:03 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

KISS drummer all suffer from timing issues. Peter Criss' drumming was as eratic as Princess Di's personality.

I'll give you marks for Stan Lynch though.

05-04-2004 14:25 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Pedasso
KISS drummer all suffer from timing issues. Peter Criss' drumming was as eratic as Princess Di's personality.

It's really tough to find good, solid drummers without timing issues. Frown

05-04-2004 14:26 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Pedasso

i really believe you are correct....when you speak of peter criss, but not eric carr or singer. how about that other kiss drummer.....anton fig.

05-04-2004 14:33 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Buddy Rich! Cool

05-04-2004 14:26 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
zippetydoodaddy zippetydoodaddy is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-29-2003
Location: Lust is the craving for salt of a man who is dying of thirst. - F.B.

I love that drummer from Spinal Tap. What was his name?

hi wes.

August 2005
05-04-2004 14:38 zippetydoodaddy is offline Send an Email to zippetydoodaddy Homepage of zippetydoodaddy Search for Posts by zippetydoodaddy Add zippetydoodaddy to your Buddy List
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Mister Fig was in KISS - I did not know that. Well then.

Drummers:

Steve Negus is purdy good too.

05-04-2004 14:52 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
Vox Robotica
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpg

Registration Date: 06-19-2003

I'd probably put Dave Grohl on that list too - Kurt Cobain described him as a guy "with perfect metronome timing".

~ Vox

"The systems fail
All the circuits blown
And the message lost in this machine oh

05-04-2004 15:05 Vox Robotica is offline Send an Email to Vox Robotica Homepage of Vox Robotica Search for Posts by Vox Robotica Add Vox Robotica to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr YIM Account Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr View the MSN Profile for Vox Robotica
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I don't now I just want to vomit when I hear the
pounding percussive poison, the banging zoo like
rumblings, the thumping sweat drenched pulse
beat wretching forth....dlkfhoghph!!

I guess what I am trying to say is, aren't
drums of the debil?

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
05-04-2004 15:07 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
I don't now I just want to vomit when I hear the
pounding percussive poison, the banging zoo like
rumblings, the thumping sweat drenched pulse
beat wretching forth....dlkfhoghph!!

I guess what I am trying to say is, aren't
drums of the debil?

Tongue

05-04-2004 17:11 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Vox Robotica
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpg

Registration Date: 06-19-2003

I read somewhere a long time ago that Ringo was one of the few drummers who could play a track multiple times and they could splice together various takes with no timing issues whatsoever. And that's close to impossible.

Plus, wasn't Ringo the guy who invented "rock drumming", whereas he held both sticks in his fists instead of the traditional drummer position (resting on the forefinger and held by the thumb)?

Also, I heard the Violent Femmes on the way to work, and couldn't believe how awesome their drummer was/is.

As for Christian Rock Drummers, I don't think we should leave out Robert Sweet.

~ Vox

"The systems fail
All the circuits blown
And the message lost in this machine oh

05-04-2004 17:16 Vox Robotica is offline Send an Email to Vox Robotica Homepage of Vox Robotica Search for Posts by Vox Robotica Add Vox Robotica to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr YIM Account Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr View the MSN Profile for Vox Robotica
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Vox Robotica
I read somewhere a long time ago that Ringo was one of the few drummers who could play a track multiple times and they could splice together various takes with no timing issues whatsoever. And that's close to impossible.
~ Vox

wow.
awesome. Pleased

05-04-2004 17:20 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Thread Starter Thread Started by PuP

It's the return of the beat menace, audi!

How could I leave Buddy Rich off the short list? He's the best. Ever.

Of course, if I believed in labels, I would label him a jazz drummer and then I'd be off the hook! Wink

I saw a web site where they put Ringo Starr in their top ten. Discuss.

05-04-2004 15:20 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Ed!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH