Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » TST Disc of the Week » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (10): « first ... « previous 4 5 [6] 7 8 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page TST Disc of the Week 3 Votes - Average Rating: 7.003 Votes - Average Rating: 7.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Dennis -
you are not allowed to disgaree.
Only One "disagree " allowed per month, and you used your April allocation already.

Are you gonna disagree with me on this?
If so - you will not be allowed to disagree till July.
think about it, buddy.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
04-08-2004 15:52 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
Dennis -
you are not allowed to disgaree.
Only One "disagree " allowed per month, and you used your April allocation already.

Are you gonna disagree with me on this?
If so - you will not be allowed to disagree till July.
think about it, buddy.

That doesn't count with Carl's Music Taste! Tongue

04-08-2004 15:59 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

I just listened to Zoom Daddy at least 3 times today while doing mind numbing work on the computer! Tongue Even if it is Bibleland week!

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
04-08-2004 16:08 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

RE: Dr! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy

which would you choose? (hurry, times almost up..!)

Theo's logic

04-08-2004 16:37 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Theo's Logic was my other choicePleased

04-08-2004 16:39 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
OK, this may sound shallow and it is a very short answer to this thread, and you could probably say this about other albums.

The theme of Bibleland seems to be "doubt" with just a little "faith" thrown in, but don't look to me, "I'm just human".

I could probably expand on this later.

My favorites are the first and last song. Broken Ladders ranks up there in the Top Ten DA songs.

Broken Ladders To Glory:
We are not worthy, but we go through life and attempt to attain something greater. It's just hard to reach that next rung. It sometimes feels out of reach, but we keep trying.

Bibleland:
You can catch a glimpse the Truth. You can't quite see it. It's more like a shadow or reflection. Also about people with good intentions...

Theo's Logic:
We don't see eye to eye. You think your denomination/views are the only way and I am wrong. I think God is bigger and can't be put in a box.

Low Crawls & High Times:
Give me mine now. Bunch of whining, crybabies.

Bakersfield:
People wandering about somewhat unhappy, a friend's death, associating Bakersfield with bad memories.

Out In The Cold:
Reminds me of Judas and Jesus in The Passion Of The Christ. "We were fumbling for words on that strange desperate night My brain turned to sand
when your hair caught the light...I was under some spell and I'm hung over now on these treacherous curves where I lost you somehow Was it a dream? Was I such a fool? I was your saint, so bitter, so cruel...No, I won't go back to that false promise land where I was nailed to the sky and you got blood on your hands but I love you still if that's what it is I'm left with the chill from the last dying kiss Now I am out in the cold without you Now I am out in the cold without you, without you and I'm looking for some grace to pull me through 'cos I am out in the cold without you..."

The Bubble Bursts:
Don't look to me. I'm just human. I'll let you down.

Pete And Repeat:
The damage of gossip.

Constance Of The Universe:
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I'll Get Over It:
I have a lot of doubts, but I'm slowly learning.

She's Working Here:
Sexual harrassment

Stone Away:
Help me in my unbelief Lord.

04-09-2004 22:05 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

quote:
Out In The Cold:
Reminds me of Judas and Jesus in The Passion Of The Christ.

Me too.

04-09-2004 22:30 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Mark Mark is a male

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Yes, I'm not sure that I really thought of it like that before. Perhaps I didn't give it too much thought. But I have just been listening to Bibleland tonight and reading the lyrics at the same time, and it just jumped out at me!

04-09-2004 22:31 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
PuP

I don't hear people talk about them much, but after BLTG, IYWT and Stone Away wore off a little, Out in the Cold and Bubble Bursts really jumped out at me. I put those two songs on repeat for a while in the car.

At first, I thought OITC was just a love-gone-wrong song, but the Judas angle was too hard to ignore with the "dying kiss" reference.

This song leads me to a question that should probably be posted in the Dump. I just don't have the desire to post down there anymore. Frown

04-09-2004 22:44 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Mark Mark is a male

quote:
Originally posted by PuP
This song leads me to a question that should probably be posted in the Dump. I just don't have the desire to post down there anymore. Frown

What? What?

Is it something about Jesus needed Judas to turn him over?

Is it? Is it?

04-09-2004 22:51 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
PuP

No. Although that's a good one, too.

It's the line: "I'm looking for some grace to pull me through."

If the song is about Judas, did Judas find that grace? Or, in the words of Andrew Lloyd Webber, is he "nadaed for all time?"

04-09-2004 22:54 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Mark Mark is a male

I figured you say something like that.

I know that most would say that Judas is in hell because he despaired, and killed himself, rather than asking for forgiveness.

There are others who would say different.

I guess we won't know while we're here on earth, but it does make for interesting conversation.

04-09-2004 23:00 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
PuP

Similar, but slightly different topic (because this thread was on-topic far too long Tongue ): I hope to see people like Judas in Heaven. Makes me feel like the "salvation through grace" riff isn't just words.

Someone has a song about Jeffery Dahmer being in Heaven because he supposedly repented before he died. I hope it is true.

04-09-2004 23:04 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Ubique Epoque

quote:
I figured you say something like that.

I know that most would say that Judas is in hell because he despaired, and killed himself, rather than asking for forgiveness.

There are others who would say different.

I guess we won't know while we're here on earth, but it does make for interesting conversation.

Bob Dylan's song "With God On Our Side" contained the following lines:
In a many dark hour
I've been thinkin' about this
That Jesus Christ
Was betrayed by a kiss
But I can't think for you
You'll have to decide
Whether Judas Iscariot
Had God on his side.

Got a few miles left ...

04-10-2004 01:35 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
OK, this may sound shallow and it is a very short answer to this thread, and you could probably say this about other albums.

The theme of Bibleland seems to be "doubt" with just a little "faith" thrown in, but don't look to me, "I'm just human".

I could probably expand on this later.

My favorites are the first and last song. Broken Ladders ranks up there in the Top Ten DA songs.

Broken Ladders To Glory:
We are not worthy, but we go through life and attempt to attain something greater. It's just hard to reach that next rung. It sometimes feels out of reach, but we keep trying.

Bibleland:
You can catch a glimpse the Truth. You can't quite see it. It's more like a shadow or reflection. Also about people with good intentions...

Theo's Logic:
We don't see eye to eye. You think your denomination/views are the only way and I am wrong. I think God is bigger and can't be put in a box.

Low Crawls & High Times:
Give me mine now. Bunch of whining, crybabies.

Bakersfield:
People wandering about somewhat unhappy, a friend's death, associating Bakersfield with bad memories.

Out In The Cold:
Reminds me of Judas and Jesus in The Passion Of The Christ. "We were fumbling for words on that strange desperate night My brain turned to sand
when your hair caught the light...I was under some spell and I'm hung over now on these treacherous curves where I lost you somehow Was it a dream? Was I such a fool? I was your saint, so bitter, so cruel...No, I won't go back to that false promise land where I was nailed to the sky and you got blood on your hands but I love you still if that's what it is I'm left with the chill from the last dying kiss Now I am out in the cold without you Now I am out in the cold without you, without you and I'm looking for some grace to pull me through 'cos I am out in the cold without you..."

The Bubble Bursts:
Don't look to me. I'm just human. I'll let you down.

Pete And Repeat:
The damage of gossip.

Constance Of The Universe:
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I'll Get Over It:
I have a lot of doubts, but I'm slowly learning.

She's Working Here:
Sexual harrassment

Stone Away:
Help me in my unbelief Lord.

Great review, Mark!

I'll never forget the first time I heard the line in Constance of the Universe "see that jerk, gotta give him the bird". I really like some of the guitar in that song too, it kinda reminds me of Steely Dan a little.

Not quite sure what my favorite song is, although Broken Ladders is pretty good but almost seems out of place with the rest of the songs.

Got a few miles left ...

04-10-2004 01:38 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

Just my two cents on OITC Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

On the OINC/Judas angle- the perspective is from Jesus, the one betrayed, not from Judas. Jesus is left out in the cold without Judas (a strange perspective but Judas' action certainly left Him in a precarious position.) It is then Jesus who is looking for some grace to see Him through, which may sound odd but on the cross, He was forsaken.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by servantsteve: 04-10-2004 15:19.

04-10-2004 08:40 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Out In The Cold Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I guess it could be used almost in a slang way.

Out in the cold, as in left hanging, as in left hanging on the cross.

DwD
04-10-2004 09:48 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Bakersfield Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"Bakersfield:
People wandering about somewhat unhappy, a friend's death, associating Bakersfield with bad memories. "

Terry's often said it was autobiographical. His grandfather (my friend) died there (in a hospital) and while the place wasn't necessarily that awful, that event colored his perception of the surroundings.

Happens to me with memories of my mom and her death all the time.

So I see the song as an exercise in perception. The focus on all these little details of animal excement and murder evidence, the coffee and mudpie, pink flamingos and pinkeye... Tragedy can crystalize a moment with photographic clarity and can make one focus on the very worst (although the coffee & mudpie was a nod in the other direction) but that is an integral moment in everyone's life - what a big grief process this is.

DwD
04-10-2004 09:56 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

quote:
Originally posted by PuP

If the song is about Judas, did Judas find that grace? Or, in the words of Andrew Lloyd Webber, is he "nadaed for all time?"

Judas could not live with himself for what he had done. He really didn't have a chance to find Jesus and talk to him before Jesus died. God knew his heart and I'm willing to bet that he wanted to accept the Grace of God before he died.

04-10-2004 11:12 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
quote:
Originally posted by PuP

Judas could not live with himself for what he had done. He really didn't have a chance to find Jesus and talk to him before Jesus died. God knew his heart and I'm willing to bet that he wanted to accept the Grace of God before he died.
That's wishful thinking, but no one knows what is in another's heart. Certainly God's grace was offered to Judas. I believe that if he had taken that grace, we would have known it and he would not have killed himself. But, again, that's all speculation.

04-10-2004 15:23 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Pages (10): « first ... « previous 4 5 [6] 7 8 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » TST Disc of the Week

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH