Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » zoom daddy » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page zoom daddy
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

RE: Damb! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Lost Canine
quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
I fergot to bring it to work!
But , since we are on GMT..and the Good Capn is ALREADY in tommorow- I will make a note to spil over- so its like Woostrock- a three day fest of ZOOM DADDY!

I'm game. I've been on a week of Motorcycle. It's time for a change.

Let's join hands and sing:

"Time for, a cool change, it's time for a cool, cool change." (trivia, who sung that one!)

Little River Band

I've never been romantic
But sometimes I don't care
I know it may sound selfish
But let me breathe the air

or something like that.

They had a lot of great songs.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
03-30-2004 12:15 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

RE: Interesting story Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
Zoom Daddy certainly had a looser feel to it, so I'm not surprised how it came together. There are some songs that seem more pre-thought though... So "The Twist" and "Pyro Sets A Wildfire" are products of this jam and record process too?

I've always had a soft spot for "Pyro" (please don't touch it; my skull's still forming)... Every time it starts, I inadvertantly sing "She's a hawwwwn-kee-tawk, a honky-tonk woman!!"

DwD

Gimme, gimme, gimme those honky tonk blues!

Woo Hoo!

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
03-30-2004 12:16 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Smile and then the "smells like teen spirit" guitar starts playing. Smile

03-30-2004 12:53 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

3.30.04 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

zoom daddy. all day, all the time.

count me in.

03-30-2004 12:54 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Tim, you are the best. Thanks for sharing that. You really lifted my spirits after a tough loss at Cranium Conga.
03-30-2004 23:35 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

RE: Damb! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
I fergot to bring it to work!
But , since we are on GMT..and the Good Capn is ALREADY in tommorow- I will make a note to spil over- so its like Woostrock- a three day fest of ZOOM DADDY!

I'll join you for the 3 day Zoom Daddy fest! And listening this time around will certainly have a different feel after hearing that story. Wink

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
03-31-2004 01:00 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

its on top!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

its a ZOOM DADDY DAY................................

I've asked this b4-
but what is missing on yer list of Friendly Advice Adventures?.
lata

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-31-2004 14:08 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Vox Robotica
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-127.jpg

Registration Date: 06-19-2003

RE: its on top!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Great, and what, do you suppose, those of us who are "Zoom Daddy-less" do on Zoom Daddy day???

Crying Crying Crying Crying

~ Vox

"The systems fail
All the circuits blown
And the message lost in this machine oh

03-31-2004 15:42 Vox Robotica is offline Send an Email to Vox Robotica Homepage of Vox Robotica Search for Posts by Vox Robotica Add Vox Robotica to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr YIM Account Name of Vox Robotica: jeremyszehr View the MSN Profile for Vox Robotica
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

uhm.......well
Zoom to a webstore near you- I would think-

Or at best- listen to DAMBit and at LEAST get Carls great rendition of GWB
brave soul that he be.-

or Try MNFs The Twist, I'tll REALLLLYY whet yer appetite!

03-31-2004 15:47 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

RE: zoom daddy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by tchandler
my pal, Jasooon, emailed me this question and agreed to share it here at the DAMB:

"Any particular remembrances of the Zoom Daddy sessions that you care to share? How long did the entire song writing process take..."

zoomdaddy was an oddball. terry usually comes in with a bunch of stuff prepared but on zoom daddy, he didn't. none of us had anything. and for some reason, only dave raven, terry and i were able to make it for the initial recording session.

anyway, we setup (just the three of us) and just started playing and fooling around and gene rolled tape and we just got into some sort of strange thing where we couldn't stop and we went as fast as we could, laying down basic tracks with dave's drums, bass, and terry's guitar. (terry doesn't think of himself as a guitar player, but he really is.)

what happened is that dave raven trully FUELLED the whole thing. dave and i had played together a lot and you just get into a thing where you know where each other is going.

dave would just start playing a beat, and i would pick a key and just start playing a bass line and trying to play what it felt like, and then, terry played these really great guitar parts.

the song "zoom daddy" was one of the first tracks, in fact i'm pretty sure it was THE first track. terry spontaneously started singing "zoom daddy zoom zoom daddy zoom daddy daddy" and i started laughing and he just kept going.

"zoom daddy" was the first song we completed because terry had to have a rough mix of it done for the record company to play at some christian booksellers convention or something. (it was really funny to me, picturing all these staight-laced types standing around and hearing Zoom daddy for the first time.)

since we had to have it done, and there was no greg or jerry around at the moment, i played guitar on it. terry played the main, descending guitar part (over the "zoom daddys") and i came in on "i believe all you've said.." and played everything else. (in fact, any time you hear an over-distorted, noisy bunch of guitar nonsense on a da or eddies song, there's a good chance that it's me playing, and if you hear an actual musical guitar part that actually sounds good, it'll be either greg or jerry or terry.)

but that's how zoom daddy came to be. it just sort of happened. and terry, of course, did his usual thing with lyrics and melody.

That's very cool! Cool

03-31-2004 16:05 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

from AMG: Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The novelty-act quality of the Swirling Eddies (the alter-ego incarnation of Daniel Amos) becomes blurred on this release. This is a serious album with an artfully crafted sound and provocative lyrics. Gone is the silliness of the Swirling Eddies' last effort, Outdoor Elvis; no "CoCo the Talking Guitar" or "Arthur Fhardy's Yodelling Party" here. Gone too are the phony names. Written and recorded with the core ensemble of Terry Taylor, Tim Chandler, and David Raven, Zoom Daddy is all about groove and intelligence. The instrumentation is primarily guitar-driven, though piano does have prominence on many tracks — most notably "Nightmare at the Elks' Lodge." The first track, "I Had a Bad Experience With the CIA and Now I'm Gonna Show You My Feminine Side," sets the tone of the whole album with its subtle groove, intense poetic lyrics, and intricate wordplay. Other cuts of note include the groove-driven "Mr. Sharky" and the vocal phrasings of "Pyro Sets a Wildfire." Provided the album stays in print long enough, this will be a recording that stays ahead of its time for a long time. — Mark W. B. Allender

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jiminy: 04-01-2004 08:17.

04-01-2004 08:16 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Registration Date: 02-14-2003

What?!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Gone too are the phony names. Written and recorded with the core ensemble of Terry Taylor, Tim Chandler, and David Raven,

HOW DARE HE?!! MY NAME IS NOT A PHONY NAME! JUST BECAUSE THAT RAT CHANDLER PLAYED ON THIS INSTEAD OF ME DOESN'T MEAN I'M NOT A REAL PERSON! I AM NOT AN ANIMALLLLLLLL!!!!!! MY WORK IS NEVER DONE, PEOPLE!! I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO REST! WHY WON'T ANYONE BELIEVE ME?!! ggk!

04-01-2004 09:27 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Mad Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

How dare you disrupt the blessed rest of John Merrick with your whining, Berger! May the grand pedobino purchase your skeleton one day!
04-01-2004 10:06 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Registration Date: 02-14-2003

Actually, he's already offered to buy. But he wants it right now. What do you think? Should I? I could use the money.

04-01-2004 10:45 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Mad Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Do it! Just do it!
04-01-2004 10:51 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Ask him what room he's going to keep it in first....

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
04-01-2004 10:52 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Please Carl, Michael is sick and all, but do you really think he is so sick to play naughty with Berger's bones?
04-01-2004 10:54 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Please.... we're talking about the bones of someone who thinks I'm his mommy here.... think of the possibilities.... it'd sure bring a new meaning to "Beat It" or "Attack of the Poppet Masters"....

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
04-01-2004 10:58 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Big Grin Big Grin
04-01-2004 10:58 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

settle down boys, settle down..

and Berger- could this be the first time you've actually BELIEVED what you've read-?

04-01-2004 11:16 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » zoom daddy

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH