Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Passion Of The Christ » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (14): « first ... « previous 9 10 [11] 12 13 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Passion Of The Christ
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Back on top Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'll admit that I've had a contentious, quixotic opinion of this movie as a trend, not the mission statement it obviously is and meant to be... But talk about resonating in the culture!

After a couple weeks out of the top five, the movie bounds back on Easter weekend, spoiling things for "The Alamo" and the sleazy sex fantasy "The Girl Next Door"... I'm heartened to think that, in light of a bad economy and the shadow of prolonged war and bloodshed, people are expressing a hunger for the story of Jesus.

Like the movie or don't, this is a real sign that people desire a more tangible understanding of the life of Christ.

04-13-2004 11:13 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

DW,

Did you already receive Marbles? I see you keep posting the picture. The mail should be here within an hour or so. I hope mine is here today. I know they've all been shipped. I usually get Marillion merchandise fairly quickly. I can't wait!

Mark

04-13-2004 12:36 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just checked the mail. Marbles didn't come today. Crying

04-13-2004 13:49 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Lur King Lur King is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-107.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2003

RE: Back on top Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I finally saw it (on GooD friday) & really thought it was a well done movie
... at least the parts I saw,

I had to sit in the front row Frown
it was hard to see & read everything...

overall I am glad this movie was made & that it is doing well.

04-13-2004 16:42 Lur King is offline Send an Email to Lur King Homepage of Lur King Search for Posts by Lur King Add Lur King to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

No Marbles today Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I had to scour my paperwork to find my order # and tracking # for it, just for the security of knowing IF it doesn't show, I have a leg to stand on...

See, folks? I'm not obsessive for just DA music. I'm obsessive about EVERYTHING!

DwD
04-14-2004 09:44 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Mark Mark is a male

Well, not everyone in the UK has received Marbles either. On the Marillion Message Board, there is a post from the Moderators that they are sorry that everyone does not have their CD's yet which may mean they don't get them a full month before the official release. They go on to explain about the delays.

Also, check your discs when you get them. A few people have had problems with skipping and someone had some kind of "glue" on the discs. Another person had the book arrive, but no CD's. It sounds like they've had some production problems.

They were speculating that those in the U.S. should start getting theirs between Wednesday and Saturday of this week.

Hopefully it will arrive to my house today or tomorrow.

04-14-2004 10:57 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Kaf-N-8ed Kaf-N-8ed is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Ah, well, I haven't seen The Passion yet...

I probably will see it, but I have no particular sense that it will inform my impression of what happened at the Cross.

I understand the Catholic perspectives that have been given here, familarity with the contemplation of the Passion of Christ makes sense from that point of view. As an Orthodox Christian we spend Holy Week (Mon through Good Friday) thinking about the Passion. But we always look at the passion through the eyes of the Resurrection.

The Cross is a triumph, not a defeat.

The Cross is where Christ "Glorifies Himself" (as it says several places in the Scriptures.)

But from an artistic standpoint, I can understand taking a look at The Passion - all by itself. So, I don't mind if they fail to really mention the Resurrection. That's Mel's artistic liberty. He said what he wanted to say with the movie. I generally like Mel's movies. He has great things to say through them.

It just isn't the historic practice of the ancient Church to concentrate on the Cross as an individual event in isolation from all the rest of the work of Christ. For theological reasons, for pedagogical reasons, for inspirational reasons, etc. the Cross is always looked at "throught he eyes of the Resurrection"

Regards!
Coffee Man

"Christ is Risen!
Indeed He is Risen!"

My beard is parted into three,
For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava
http://www.benjava.com

04-16-2004 14:12 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
Mark Mark is a male

Catholic do not look at the Cross as a defeat.

04-16-2004 14:22 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

"played out on the pages of history
dripping in blood that flows from a tree
where the Father and Son part company
come back together for you and me

i don't know why you did it what was your motivation
crucifixion's not a cool sensation
You had something to say and You started to speak
the cross was a place for Your coronation speech"

words by Bill Mallonee

04-16-2004 14:27 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Oh what the heck. I might as well post all the lyrics.

Drunk On The Tears
i've been eating the fare of the wicked men
under the guise of sophistication
it's poisoned my senses and my sight needs correction
it's bad for my bowels and my general complexion

it's been my staple for so many years
it's hard to taste the wine
when you're drunk on the tears

hey we got new ways to treat the soul that succumbs
electroshock and valium
in the twentieth century you don't need salvation
we got chemists dedicated to your recreation

nicole works the streets for twelve hours a day
she don't charge much but what she'll trade away
in a few short years her business will fade
that's what happens with the tools of the trade

jim and tammy and reverend swaggart
they don't look like Jesus and they're a whole lot fatter
don't miss the truth for a stupid side show
don't confuse the cup for the contents it holds

God i need a drink and i need one fast
make it a strong one one that will last
have you got anything that has been selling brisk
for a soul diagnosed at a terminal risk

Jesus lover of my soul
let me to thy bosom fly
i'm so weak and i'm so cold
the lambs in the west so speedily die

alibis roll off my tongue
i'm looking for ruins to hide among
i got a soul piled high to excess
with the wonderfully useless and the frivolous

the praise due your name evades my lips
there's no helping hand on my fingertips
i used to be someone now i'm not worth a grey poop'on
i've got a truckload of things trying to forget

since back in the garden on the first page
something about the cradle and the grave
the promises broken more promises made
all in the image i've so defaced

played out on the pages of history
dripping in blood that flows from a tree
where the Father and Son part company
come back together for you and me

i don't know why you did it what was your motivation
crucifixion's not a cool sensation
You had something to say and You started to speak
the cross was a place for Your coronation speech

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----

Written by Bill Mallonee for Irving Music, Inc., Allegiance Music, Russachugama Music and CyBrenJoJosh (BMI) ©1990, 1992

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Mark: 04-16-2004 14:45.

04-16-2004 14:30 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
You Gotta Be There
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Kaf-N-8ed

I probably will see it, but I have no particular sense that it will inform my impression of what happened at the Cross.

I understand the Catholic perspectives that have been given here, familarity with the contemplation of the Passion of Christ makes sense from that point of view. As an Orthodox Christian we spend Holy Week (Mon through Good Friday) thinking about the Passion. But we always look at the passion through the eyes of the Resurrection.

The Cross is where Christ "Glorifies Himself" (as it says several places in the Scriptures.)

But from an artistic standpoint, I can understand taking a look at The Passion - all by itself. So, I don't mind if they fail to really mention the Resurrection. That's Mel's artistic liberty. He said what he wanted to say with the movie. I generally like Mel's movies. He has great things to say through them.

It just isn't the historic practice of the ancient Church to concentrate on the Cross as an individual event in isolation from all the rest of the work of Christ. For theological reasons, for pedagogical reasons, for inspirational reasons, etc. the Cross is always looked at "throught he eyes of the Resurrection"

Regards!
Coffee Man

"Christ is Risen!
Indeed He is Risen!"

At least he shows the Ressurection at the very end, although its very brief.
I bought the soundtrack last night for my wife. Very deep and meditative music. No lyrics, just the music from some scenes in the movie.
- ygbt
04-16-2004 14:32
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Oh what the heck. I might as well pose all the lyrics.

Drunk On The Tears

Uh, Mark...

I don't think we want to see you posE the lyrics! Shocked

couldn't resist! Tongue

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
04-16-2004 14:34 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by You Gotta Be There
quote:

Regards!
Coffee Man

"Christ is Risen!
Indeed He is Risen!"

I bought the soundtrack last night for my wife. Very deep and meditative music. No lyrics, just the music from some scenes in the movie.
- ygbt

in Bach's St. Matthew Passion, one of the greatest works of art of all time, i don't believe that there is even a hint of Christ rising?
04-16-2004 14:42 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Mark Mark is a male

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
quote:
Oh what the heck. I might as well pose all the lyrics.

Drunk On The Tears

Uh, Mark...

I don't think we want to see you posE the lyrics! Shocked

couldn't resist! Tongue

Why whatever are you talking about? Re-read it again above. I wrote "post the lyrics". I have no idea what you are talking about. Wink

04-16-2004 14:47 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
You Gotta Be There
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by baxter
quote:
Originally posted by You Gotta Be There
quote:

Regards!
Coffee Man

"Christ is Risen!
Indeed He is Risen!"

- ygbt

in Bach's St. Matthew Passion, one of the greatest works of art of all time, i don't believe that there is even a hint of Christ rising?

I'll have to check that out sometime.
04-16-2004 15:00
Luteous Llama

quote:
Catholic do not look at the Cross as a defeat.

Oh my - I certainly didn't mean to imply I think that.

Just mentioning that there's a different emphasis from the Orthodox perspective. For one thing, other than icons of the Crucifixion itself, Orthodox depictions of the Cross don't have Jesus hanging on it. We don't use the crucifix, for example, except in Orthodox Churches that were heavily enfluenced by Rome - example, the Orthodox in Romania.

We tend to look at the Cross and Resurrection together as a single cosmolotical event in all that God has accomplished to save us.

But, from the theological perspective, what did Jesus mean when He said:
"If I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto myself." We know He was talking about the Cross - but what drew men to Himself?

Was it the horror of crucifixion? Not a chance, people were crucified every day in the Roman empire, with no more passing interest than you'd show a hotdog stand.

There was something very powerful in Christ's giving himself up to crucifixion like that: the earth shook, the sky turned black, it even says that the graves shook in the cemetaries, and that the dead were resurrected and roamed around Jerusalem until after Christ Rose on the third day. (Think zombies here folks...)

It wasn't the horror of getting beaten and whipped and bleeding all over everybody that made people take notice.

By the way, as I say I haven't seen the movie yet, but if Mel did that (blood flying everywhere like you say), it makes a very powerful message - very symbolic, and no doubt intentional on his part.

Regards,

Kaf

P.S. By the way, I don't plan to take my kid (only 7) and I don't plan to take my wife (would probably shake her up too much.)

For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava

04-16-2004 15:45 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by baxter

Cool, I'd really like to hear it some time.

I found out why I never heard of Bach's St. Matthew Passion until this year. The work was lost for centuries and only recently discovered. That's why everybody is suddenly performing it.

Regards,
Kaf

P.S. I can't wait until we find (burried somewhere in the South?) the lost works of Daniel Amos!

For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava

04-16-2004 15:48 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

i'm with you on the can't wait!
04-16-2004 17:55 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Mark Mark is a male

Maybe they are in my attic!

Roll Eyes

I live in the South.

Tongue

04-16-2004 18:06 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Tarantino on the Passion Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

QUENTIN TARANTINO: I loved it. I'll tell you why. I think it actually is one of the most brilliant visual storytelling movies I've seen since the talkies -- as far as telling a story via pictures. So much so that when I was watching this movie, I turned to a friend and said, "This is such a Herculean leap of Mel Gibson's talent. I think divine intervention might be part of it." I cannot believe that Mel Gibson directed it. Not personally Mel Gibson -- I mean, Braveheart was great. I mean, I can't believe any actor made that movie. This is like the most visual movie by an actor since Charles Laughton made The Night of the Hunter. No, this is 15 times more visual than that. It has the power of a silent movie. And I was amazed by the fact that it was able to mix all these different tones. At first, this is going to be the most realistic version of the Jesus story -- you have to decipher the Latin and Aramaic. then it throws that away at a certain point and gives you this grandiose religious image. Godnada, that's good
04-20-2004 17:55 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Pages (14): « first ... « previous 9 10 [11] 12 13 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Passion Of The Christ

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH