Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Zoom Daddy » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Zoom Daddy
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

Every few months or so to make sure I still think it's lame:
Real Men Cry
Avocado Faultline
DA
Horrendous Disk

I can't speak for the others (having never heard them), but how can you call HD lame? How can the disc with "I Love You #19," "Hound of Heaven," "Sky King," and "Man in the Moon" be called anything less than brilliant. It may not be on the same level as MBD or Zoom Daddy, but it's still a great album.
06-12-2002 12:05 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Okay, so now we're ranking by frequency of play, huh? Here goes

Extremely often (multiple times a week most weeks)
Zoom Daddy
Mr. Buechner's Dream
Green Room Serenade
Doppelganger

Very Often (once a week or close to that)
Alarma
SOTH
Berry Vest
Vox Humana
Motorcycle

Often (frequently shows up)
Kalhoun
Best of the Lost Dogs
Horrendous Disc
Sacred Cows

Not-so-often (a few times a month)
Fearful Symmetry
John Wayne (although it used to show up more often)

Not very often (just what it sounds like. Once a month or less usually)
Live at Cornerstone 2K
Bibleland
OPFWFT

I haven't ranked Preacher From Outer Space or Gift Horse (both too new), but I'm betting preachers will end up in one of the bottom two categories, while Gift Horse will probably make it into the often category.
06-12-2002 12:17 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

HD is lame. Oops, I did it again! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"I can't speak for the others (having never heard them), but how can you call HD lame?"

I just find it painfully derivative in a way that all the Shotgun-Angel-is-Eagles and Alarma-is-Talking-Heads critics can only dream about. Plus, it's even derivative of Steely Dan in several places ("On the Line" immediately comes to mind, though). It just doesn't get much worse. I want spark up a joint for the first time in a decade-plus just THINKING about it.

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
06-12-2002 12:23 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

By frequency of play Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

By frequency of play, huh? For me it's songs instead of albums... If I went by albums my list would look like this:

Albums heard in the last month:
The Miracle Faith Telethon
Motorcycle

That's it.

Songs heard in the last month:
(It's the Eighties...), Ain't Gonna Fight it, Dance Stop, Earth Household, Neverland Ballroom, Sanctuary, Sudden Heaven, Travelog (sweet song), etc.

If you're wondering why I'm listening to songs instead of albums, don't ask.

06-12-2002 13:29 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by carl
"I can't speak for the others (having never heard them), but how can you call HD lame?"

I just find it painfully derivative in a way that all the Shotgun-Angel-is-Eagles and Alarma-is-Talking-Heads critics can only dream about. Plus, it's even derivative of Steely Dan in several places ("On the Line" immediately comes to mind, though). It just doesn't get much worse. I want spark up a joint for the first time in a decade-plus just THINKING about it.

It does sound a lot like the Beatles in places. But that's okay, they sold lots of records. Wink
06-12-2002 14:53 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

you stole my line!

heh heh Big Grin

BD

06-12-2002 15:03 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by BigDork
you stole my line!

heh heh Big Grin

BD

No, I stole the Wacky Fan's line.
06-12-2002 15:17 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

quote:
Real Men Cry
Avocado Faultline
DA
Horrendous Disk

Huh??? Only one I can agree with you on there is the first album (although I do like the country sound being from Dallas and all........) Wink As I said before, you are a bad, bad man. Pleased

06-12-2002 15:27 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
quote:
Real Men Cry
Avocado Faultline
DA
Horrendous Disk

Huh??? Only one I can agree with you on there is the first album (although I do like the country sound being from Dallas and all........) Wink As I said before, you are a bad, bad man. Pleased

I like HD a lot... so there Larry Norman! Red Face

06-12-2002 19:08 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Kaf-N-8ed Kaf-N-8ed is a male
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by arcticsunburn
You're all crazy! Alarma! is the best DA album. Especially the version with the bonus tracks. "No Spaceship" is awesome.

I can't wait till the bookset is released again.

Does it have that bonus track?

~ Gus

My beard is parted into three,
For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava
http://www.benjava.com

06-19-2002 09:46 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Kaf-N-8ed
quote:
Originally posted by arcticsunburn
You're all crazy! Alarma! is the best DA album. Especially the version with the bonus tracks. "No Spaceship" is awesome.

I can't wait till the bookset is released again.

Does it have that bonus track?

~ Gus

I've got the bookset, and I'm sad to say that it has no bonus tracks.
06-19-2002 09:56 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

No bonus tracks? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That's too bad...

06-19-2002 13:37 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Author of the Post Author of the Post is a male
A Hot Wolly

Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

Everybody scream "Kalhoun!" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

For me, I think that Kalhoun is the album that was the turning point for Daniel Amos and possibly their most pinnacle album (not to say the best.) Kalhoun was like a total rebirth from everything they'd done before. I think that after we see a few more DA albums come out (I do hope there will be many more to come) that MBD will be seen as another milestone dividing epochs of the band. When it comes to albums that I most play, I'd have to list these (beginning with most):

MBD (their most mature album musically; "Author of the
Story" will be hard to top; half the other songs
are pure classics, and the album plays as an album)
Doppleganger (the image of the Doppleganger and how
everything has a double meaning; "Hollow Man" is just
too inventive a song in terms of sound)
Fearful Symmetry (for the imagery of "The Pool", the
funk of "Neverland Ballroom", and just cuz
"Instruction thru Film" is a cool song)
Kalhoun (everything on this album was different; it's the
first DA album that really made me want to crank my
stereo. The album had a consistent feel from start
to finish)
Let's Spin (sarcasm abounds and it's FUN. I had a tape
of this one and for 6 months listened to it every
single day. Still love this album to this day--on CD,
of course)
Scenic Routes (no other LD album has been able to top
this one. Each song is a gem, the guitars, the vocals,
it's a classic album. I great album for when your
depressed)
Songs of the Heart (the exporation of instruments is
incredible and daring--and it works! "When Everyone
Wore Hats" is a classic)

So those are my picks. Smile

-- Author of the Post
06-19-2002 14:13 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Scenic Routes Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"(no other LD album has been able to top this one. Each song is a gem, the guitars, the vocals, it's a classic album. I great album for when your depressed)"

So THAT's why I'm diggin' it so much even as we speak.... Smile

06-19-2002 14:28 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Tyler Durden Tyler Durden is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 04-11-2002
Location: Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is a spiritual war.

I agree with Zoom Daddy being a great great great album. I have been impressed with Terry's stuff since 1979. This one blew me away with its music and lyrics.

How dare you put Horrendous Disk on the lame pile. I was just listening to it today and was blasting I Love You in the car. Hound of Heaven...classic.

Avocado and Real Men Cry take a few listenings and are great when you are in the mood for Americana.
06-19-2002 15:07 Tyler Durden is offline Send an Email to Tyler Durden Search for Posts by Tyler Durden Add Tyler Durden to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Easy, really... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"How dare you put Horrendous Disk on the lame pile."

Buy it, listen to it a dozen times or so, come to the conclusion that it's boring 3rd-generation music with potentially good but painfully unrealized ideas like so many thousands of similar transition albums by lesser bands before it, and TOSS.... Smile

06-19-2002 17:39 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Durden
I agree with Zoom Daddy being a great great great album. I have been impressed with Terry's stuff since 1979. This one blew me away with its music and lyrics.

How dare you put Horrendous Disk on the lame pile. I was just listening to it today and was blasting I Love You in the car. Hound of Heaven...classic.

Avocado and Real Men Cry take a few listenings and are great when you are in the mood for Americana.

Is does have some weak spots... but a lot of fun I think Smile

I love you #19 is awesome... I have that guitar part opening the song Smile )

06-19-2002 19:05 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
"How dare you put Horrendous Disk on the lame pile."

Buy it, listen to it a dozen times or so, come to the conclusion that it's boring 3rd-generation music with potentially good but painfully unrealized ideas like so many thousands of similar transition albums by lesser bands before it, and TOSS.... Smile

I've listened to it many times, and I have not come to the conclusion that it's anything but brilliant. It sounds like the Beatles, but that's okay, they sold a lot of records.
06-19-2002 19:49 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Scrimshaw Nick Scrimshaw Nick is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-387.jpg

Location: "Bad news, Mom. I promised my soul to the devil this afternoon." "Oh? That recently?" ~ Calvin and Hobbes

quote:
Originally posted by Author of the Post
For me, I think that Kalhoun is the album that was the turning point for Daniel Amos and possibly their most pinnacle album (not to say the best.) Kalhoun was like a total rebirth from everything they'd done before. I think that after we see a few more DA albums come out (I do hope there will be many more to come) that MBD will be seen as another milestone dividing epochs of the band. When it comes to albums that I most play, I'd have to list these (beginning with most):

That's funny, Kalhoun is the one album that I would list as lame . . . well, maybe "lame" is a harsh word. It gets the least amount of play by me and ranks right down there with Real Men Cry (except for "3-Legged Dog, of course.)

Ok, I am ready to recieve all my hate mail now.

Somebody cured my political apathy but I'm not allowed to say who it is in a signature on the Message Boards
06-19-2002 20:34 Scrimshaw Nick is offline Send an Email to Scrimshaw Nick Search for Posts by Scrimshaw Nick Add Scrimshaw Nick to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Scrimshaw Nick: piratescrimshaw
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Thread Starter Thread Started by Lost Canine

I wouldn't go as far as saying that Kalhoun was/is a rebirth, but I definately put it in the category as a classic. It was a great follow-up to DFBB (though not quite as good).
LK-9

06-19-2002 21:01 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Zoom Daddy

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH