Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » MNF Tribute in the Webstore » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page MNF Tribute in the Webstore
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

MNF Tribute in the Webstore Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Guys, has BD sent you a copy? This is in all honestly a solid effort, and something worthy of supporting the band. It is surprisingly consistent, with just enough rough bits to keep it real.

I'm not sure of the logistics, but it is a professional looking package, and I know of other bands who have endorsed and sold fan tributes.

It's a thought as BD is making proceeds available to the band.

A thought.

01-13-2004 23:16 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think that would involve some legal issues....

right now we're sort of flying under the radar and only making a small number of cd-rs and not mass producing anything.

Roll Eyes

(and yes, their copies are in the mail Smile ) )

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by BigDork: 01-13-2004 23:36.

01-13-2004 23:35 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was wondering about the legality of all that. Several people have asked me to put together fan tributes to certain bands (philip glass, pink floyd, etc) and I have been too afraid to even consider it.

01-13-2004 23:43 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Yeah, we both received copies of MNF.. we want to post
some thoughts about some of the songs at some point
(probably in the Song Lyrics threads)... we want to let it
sink in a bit first. I like what I've heard so far.

BD's right about the legal issues that would come up
trying to sell it in the store. Generally, the more money
something generates, the more attention is drawn to it.
Also, if a lawyer somewhere was under the impression
that it was being distributed in any way - that would
also cause problems. Most of the publishers we've dealt
with are less likely to have a problem with something if
its very limited distribution.

We will add it to the news page though... and the TimeLine.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
01-13-2004 23:58 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

putting it on the timeline would be the bomb.

then we could look back and say
"Hey , I was on that disc with the FAMOUS Jevon..
you know, Jevon..
the Bano guy..
cmon now-you remember.... MR JEVON?
The Jev MAN ?
the Jevonator?
Jev from Hev?

...that tall...oh, nevermind.....

(I had to pick on someone who could take it)

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
01-14-2004 07:53 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
putting it on the timeline would be the bomb.

then we could look back and say
"Hey , I was on that disc with the FAMOUS Jevon..
you know, Jevon..
the Bano guy..
cmon now-you remember.... MR JEVON?
The Jev MAN ?
the Jevonator?
Jev from Hev?

and people would say "Ain't he the feller who like to play covered wagons?" Tongue

01-14-2004 08:08 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-602.gif

Registration Date: 05-01-2003

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
I was wondering about the legality of all that. Several people have asked me to put together fan tributes to certain bands (philip glass, pink floyd, etc) and I have been too afraid to even consider it.

let me know if you do a Floyd tribute Big Grin

I'd like to do that

and I'll jump the gun real quick

I wanna do Wish You Were Here and Coming Back To Life Cool

01-14-2004 08:13 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Ooh the pain. What most horrified me, er Jevon (this is where alias stuff gets confusing) was that on the bonus track on Plumb a certain evil pretentious man pronounces his name correctly. I, HE can't even catch a break, unless it's wind.

As to the legal stuff, that's always confusing. TOTO promoted FANFIELDs and linked to the site selling it, and even 77s Echoes of Faith is really a bootleg than was sold.

But it's better the air, I mean error on the side of caution.

I listened to the discs again last night, and it's my hope that some of the mysterious DAmbers reveal themselves and take a well earned bow.

JevAsso

01-14-2004 11:02 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-236.gif

Location: Silicon Valley: prime real estate for a terrorist dirty bomb hit

quote:
...blah-blah-blah-we will add it to the news page though...

-man, the audiori guys are really humoring this thread...

(In the voice of Woody from Toy Story) "Look guys, this is Andy we're talking about..." But unlike the Toys in Andy's room these tributes should probably end up in next weeks garage sale. (c'mon, we can take it)

"People, we only have 2 minutes left..." -these fan tributes are in my 'umble opinion amateur outings only. And, if the truth be faced, STRICTLY for our enjoyment (grimacing all the way) alone.

It's a lot of fun to do and I hope they're flattered (?) but what makes us think these guys would want it to get out that they HAVE a fan base like us anyway?!
(D'OH!) Big Grin

Let's be honest, they're too low budget for serious consideration. They're done on the fly and in my case by a "need-a-life, wanna-be hack" in between workin' for a livin' and catching grief from my family and friends for wasting time on it to begin with.

So let's try to keep a little perspective whaddawe say?

Han Solo:
"A Jedi knight? I'm out of it for a little while and
everybody gets delusions of grandeur."

All right, I'm done, you can let me have it now-

--Peter Jackson quoting J. R. R. Tolkien

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by ™: 01-20-2004 01:49.

01-20-2004 01:43 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Smile )

Thanks for the reality check!

01-20-2004 07:43 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

"Let's be honest, they're too low budget for serious consideration. They're done on the fly and in my case by a "need-a-life, wanna-be hack" in between workin' for a livin' and catching grief from my family and friends for wasting time on it to begin with."

Catching Grief-? cmon tm -lets just say it..catchin hell. My wife thinks this has got to be one of the BIGGEST waste of times since donut holes were invented to keep me busy after eating pie.

She is a very kind soul..and loves me dearly- but I heard at least a few times during meltdown.."If you focused as much on things around here as you do that silly Daniel Amos (fill in blank) thing...."

You get the general drift, and I do too- cuz its TRUE!!!!

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
01-20-2004 07:55 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

quote:
Originally posted by ™
quote:
...blah-blah-blah-we will add it to the news page though...

-man, the audiori guys are really humoring this thread...

(In the voice of Woody from Toy Story) "Look guys, this is Andy we're talking about..." But unlike the Toys in Andy's room these tributes should probably end up in next weeks garage sale. (c'mon, we can take it)

"People, we only have 2 minutes left..." -these fan tributes are in my 'umble opinion amateur outings only. And, if the truth be faced, STRICTLY for our enjoyment (grimacing all the way) alone.

It's a lot of fun to do and I hope they're flattered (?) but what makes us think these guys would want it to get out that they HAVE a fan base like us anyway?!
(D'OH!) Big Grin

Let's be honest, they're too low budget for serious consideration. They're done on the fly and in my case by a "need-a-life, wanna-be hack" in between workin' for a livin' and catching grief from my family and friends for wasting time on it to begin with.

So let's try to keep a little perspective whaddawe say?

Han Solo:
"A Jedi knight? I'm out of it for a little while and
everybody gets delusions of grandeur."

All right, I'm done, you can let me have it now-

What a load of grey poop'one.

That's one of the most backhanded posts I've ever read. It has nothing to do with delusions of grandeur, and quite frankly if DA thinks dedicated fans grow on tree they might as well move to the even smaller market venues.

Sorry TM you missed the train on this one.

As to humouring the people who contributed. Yes some were challenged an no budget, others were better than stuff I spend money on. So rather than take a collective crap on everyone, perhaps the perspective needed here is distance.

01-20-2004 11:19 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

I think the "spirit" of the tribute far outweighs any shortage
in production quality... same thing with "When Worlds Collide"
actually...I don't necessarily think that every cover on WWC
is great, but I still enjoy listening to it because I can tell that they
were all having a blast recording their songs. Even if those folks
hadn't told is they were having fun, we could still tell it from the
way they recorded their songs.

Same thing with MNF and the first Damb tribute. Skill and
production quality is all over the map, but it's all fun to listen
to and we can hear the love of the music in the perforamnces.
Some of you guys have a lot of talent and that also comes
through even if its recorded on a boom box.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
01-20-2004 11:33 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

...bingo.

01-20-2004 11:47 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

I found putting things into "prespective" is just another way of saying "I'm not good enough to do it". I'm through thinking that way I did this tribute for a little experiance and because I thank God for Terry and the guys for ministering to me in the hard times and good. Perspective just clouds dreams. Was I satisfied with my MNF cuts? No! but instead of putting away the four track I'm gonna find a way to make it better! And if BD and dorfsmith give me the chance to be on thier CD's I'm gonna take it. A dream is a dream until you pull it from the clouds and make it reality.

01-20-2004 11:54 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

that's the spirit dude. It's in the doing that things get done.

It was all about More Negative Fruit.

01-20-2004 12:06 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Thanks man Pleased I've always wanted to make music but never had the courage to reach up and take it. Now it's time to do that.

01-20-2004 12:11 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Driver8
quote:

I'd like to do that

I think it would be really fun. I'll let you know Tongue

01-20-2004 12:30 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Driver8
quote:

I'd like to do that

I think it would be really fun. I'll let you know Tongue

Cool cool

hey dorf email me the address I should send my stuff for Sediment to. I have one song recorded and the other is nearly completely written, just need to tweak it a bit then record it.

01-20-2004 12:35 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

SOOO serious, Jevvie.................

a new side of you?
your New Year's Resolution?

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

01-20-2004 12:40 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » MNF Tribute in the Webstore

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH