Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Would Terry ever use the "S" word? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Would Terry ever use the "S" word?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Who did the Stooges's hit?

07-17-2010 16:41 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3wVOoYZ4EI

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
07-17-2010 17:58 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Question Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

would terry ever use the "J" word? Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8324yjT_yqM

Tongue

Crying

Cool

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by joey: 07-18-2010 22:22.

07-18-2010 22:21 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
iota
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Jesus and Paul used cusswords, so I'll give Terry a hall pass if he ever does.

Paul counts everything skubala that he might gain Christ.

If you think "skubala" is properly translated "poop," you might be homeschooled.

And if you think "brood of vipers" or "raca" were terms of endearment...well...maybe their aimed at you.

Case in point - don't be holier than Jesus and the rightly placed cussword sometimes drives the point home better than a sanitized facsimile.

Just ask Derek Webb...
07-19-2010 13:08 iota is offline Send an Email to iota Search for Posts by iota Add iota to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Most homeschooled people I know are also the most intelligent, so that slur is inaccurate.

One problem within this discussion is that the word 'cusswords' can be defined in multiple ways.

Cussing or cursing would be defined as; "a prayer or invocation for harm or injury to come upon one."

Swearing would be defined as; "An oath or use profane or obscene language."

Profane (Profanity) would be defined as: ": to treat (something sacred) with abuse, irreverence, or contempt, desecrate or to debase by a wrong, unworthy, or vulgar use." ....possibly using the Lord's name in vain, for example.

Vulgar would be defined as; "offensive in language, lewdly or profanely indecent."

Foul language would be defined as; "Obscene and abusive."

Obscene would be defined as; "disgusting to the senses, repulsive
or abhorrent to morality or virtue; specifically: designed to incite to lust or depravity or containing or being language regarded as taboo in polite usage."

James 3:10 (New International Version) Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be.

That would be praising God and wishing harm to your fellow man.

Colossians 3:8 (New International Version) But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. ~ words of Paul.

In the Greek language, the phrase, “filthy communication” means foul speaking, low and obscene speech. But what is obscenity? It is language regarded as taboo in polite usage.. which changes from culture to culture and time period to time period.

Most people sort of lump all of it together, the Lord's name in vain.. the words you can't say on TV.. cursing someone... and being generally being offensive. So if you say that Jesus cussed, in their minds they think you are saying he was guilty of the whole lot. When actually, nothing Jesus uttered would fall into the spiritually off limits territory. Calling someone a viper is not lewd or wishing them harm.

07-19-2010 13:48 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by iota

If you think "skubala" is properly translated "poop," you might be homeschooled.

And if you think "brood of vipers" or "raca" were terms of endearment...well...maybe their aimed at you.

Case in point - don't be holier than Jesus and the rightly placed cussword sometimes drives the point home better than a sanitized facsimile.

Just ask Derek Webb...

NO, Jesus NEVER used cusswords!! In cases like this it is good to give proof of this!!!

Funny you brought Derek Webb as an example!! A guy that sings in one of his songs referring to homosexuality and I quote him

"When did Christianity become all about being straight?,"

In the end homosexuality is sinful!!

http://blog.beliefnet.com/idolchatter/20...longer-mak.html

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
07-19-2010 18:12 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

TST used the f word in Low Crawls And High Times

feces

Shocked

07-19-2010 19:51 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

quote:
Originally posted by pegotico
quote:

Just ask Derek Webb...

NO, Jesus NEVER used cusswords!! In cases like this it is good to give proof of this!!!

Funny you brought Derek Webb as an example!! A guy that sings in one of his songs referring to homosexuality and I quote him

Right on, Pegotico (even though you're a mind peach)
I've got no use for Webb, as well as that Down The Line magazine homo-issue.

07-19-2010 19:54 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

I was home schooled....

07-20-2010 00:03 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by peawinkel

Im glad you told me that the more posting I do, the bigger and better brain I get. I cant imagine what ppl with 1 or 2 posts have for a brain Tongue

07-20-2010 06:15 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
I was home schooled....

sorry, man... try reading some comic books to expand your consciousness

Psalm 119:83
07-20-2010 08:56 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
iota
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

What I meant to say is that Terry Scott Taylor would never use the S word unless he was reading aloud from a list of words he would never say.

Sorry about the home-schooled slur...

But pssst...Jesus did say "raca" matter-of-factly...yes he was saying what you shouldn't say, but he said the naughty word...

also the passage where Jesus talks about what comes out of you defiling you and using food as an example...he uses another term I'll have to look up to see if it's a cuss word...one "unvarnished" translation called it the "S**t-hole"....

Also, I remember hearing that "brood of vipers" was a rude term, kind of comparable to SOB...

And here's a theological quandary for you...when Jesus stubbed his tow or hit his thumb with a hammer...how do you think he reacted? Remember...he was fully human tempted in all ways as we are...
07-20-2010 11:19 iota is offline Send an Email to iota Search for Posts by iota Add iota to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

quote:
quote:

Just ask Derek Webb...

Webb never said it was right. He was just pointing out the glaring idea that suddenly that's what it's ALL about.

Seems too many christians worry too much about things like that, and not enough about say.... evangelism.

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

07-20-2010 11:35 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

quote:
quote:

Just ask Derek Webb...

The article you posted clears that issue up pretty well, don't you think?

Interviewer: Many young Christians especially are comfortable saying, "We've got to stop from harping on homosexuality." But that's different from saying you don't consider homosexuality to be sinful. When you ask in that song, essentially,, "When did Christianity become all about being straight?," do you want to say that homosexuality doesn't alienate you from God?

Webb: That's a big question, and I'm not backing off. But I have not on this record addressed the particular morality of a lot of these issues. That has been so well covered by the church, unfortunately with no other connection--people have heard a lot of the church's theology and not seen a lot of the church's ethics. There's a real disconnect there, and that bothers me. But I don't think it's a conversation that is had well in this medium. This isn't an ideal medium to speak about such a personal and nuanced issue. There's a huge discussion to be had, and I want to have that conversation. I hope to have it a lot on the road with people, but not if it's a roomful of people with a camera on me. Because so much can happen between that intimate moment and the moment where anyone could hear that. What I can say is, I'm not trying to create some kind of a moral loophole for anybody. It's not that anybody is less wrong as much as we're all more wrong. Your question was, Do I think that homosexuality alienates you from God. Thankfully, not anymore than habitual heterosexual sin does.

People can and do disagree about that particular issue. The thing we can agree on is how poorly we are loving the people around us who live or believe differently than we do. Those are the people we are called to engage with and love and care for. Before you even try to love your enemies, how about knowing your enemies? How about knowing the people you consider to be your enemy? Because you might find that they're not really your enemies. You're your enemy, and you are just like your enemies. There is no difference. We all need exactly the same thing. So, that's more where, you know, I hope some of this lands.

Read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/idolchatter/20...l#ixzz0uF1mZivQ

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by larryl: 07-20-2010 11:39.

07-20-2010 11:38 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

quote:
Originally posted by peawinkel
quote:
quote:

Just ask Derek Webb...

Attitudes like that are the problem.

Good grief.

07-20-2010 11:39 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

The problem is sin, the Gospel message is about turning from sin and turning to Christ. When the wages of sin is death, it can be the most loving thing to tell them to turn from it and turn to Christ who can cleanse it all away. Judgmentalism is condemnation without giving people the answer.

07-20-2010 14:06 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
The problem is sin, the Gospel message is about turning from sin and turning to Christ. When the wages of sin is death, it can be the most loving thing to tell them to turn from it and turn to Christ who can cleanse it all away. Judgmentalism is condemnation without giving people the answer.

for a change, i think i totally agree with you here, jason.

i guess i wouldn't have such an issue with it, if the church was more consistent. homosexuality is hardly the only sin rampant in our country, but it's the one of very few that will get the church out in the streets protesting.

07-20-2010 15:03 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

The attitude seems to be, all too often;

"You cheated on your wife with hookers? We'll get you counseling"

"You've been snorting cocaine? We'll get you into our substance abuse program"

"You're shacked up with your girlfriend? We'll pray you guys get married"

"You're gay? Get out of our church, sinner!!"

07-20-2010 15:10 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Frown Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by larryl

true, very true...
however, the attitude of the 3 musicians in the down the line article seemed to be "this is who and how God made me, gay...", not one of repentance...

Cool
07-20-2010 15:27 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
Originally posted by larryl

true, very true...
however, the attitude of the 3 musicians in the down the line article seemed to be "this is who and how God made me, gay...", not one of repentance...

agreed. how much of that is because of the way the church has treated the issue up to this point, i wonder?

07-20-2010 15:31 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Would Terry ever use the "S" word?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH