Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » CCM Magazine December 2003 » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (7): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page CCM Magazine December 2003 6 Votes - Average Rating: 7.006 Votes - Average Rating: 7.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Kind of makes him the God of a few and not of all. So I guess my God may just be bigger ...

11-21-2003 23:30 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
jwaltb
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-23-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
What if by some huge mistake, these "Christian artists" are preaching a gospel and selling a Christ to the world and he's a fake? I believe many many of them are selling the Christ of American Christianity which in reality does not even exist. It's a big western idea of who Jesus is and was and what he taught. It's the big industry Jesus that they praise. I serve and praise a simple carpenter that both religious and non-religeous people rejected. We are so influienced by our culture that we make Jesus exactly how we want him so he will fit in with our lifestyle. Well, Jesus didn't fit in and he never will. Neither should we. Jesus would never be associated with big industry Christian or otherwise.

If I remember correctly, Paul the Apostle addressed this. There was a situation where some were preaching Christ erroneously to incite riots with the Jews and some were doing so earnestly. I think his response was pretty much that in any case Christ was being preached. I think Terry's also hit on this theme. How about Evangeline from SOTH? The lyrics paint the evangelist in an unfavorable light but even so the narrator seemed to have had a real experience with Christ.

My taste in music is definitely not mainstream CCM, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy some stuff done by these artists at times. But this is my slant on it - it's what I like. If Joe Christian gets carried away with Point of Grace and goes to all the the Tuxedo Clad Megastar concerts more power to him. I think he's missing the boat on alot of good music but so what? In my eyes it doesn't make him less of a believer and my stance doesn't make me superior because I like lyrics with a bit of meat to them. If and when I'm around the guy I'll concentrate on the things that unite us, not vilify him for not being a "clone" of my taste in music.

Man, there's so much we ALL don't see straight right now. As the scripture says, we see through a glass darkly......... so why not approach the non-critical stuff that way. Leave room for doubt as someone once put it.

JB
11-22-2003 07:22 jwaltb is offline Send an Email to jwaltb Search for Posts by jwaltb Add jwaltb to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Not coincidentally... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

There's a CBS about an hour's ride away from my home. When I was a wee lad of indiscriminate chronology, my brother-in-law would drive me up there, usually as a birthday treat. Back at that time the Christian labels were running the "buy four, get one free" deal. So with a hot $100 of birthday loot, I'd walk away with a stack.

Some of the titles I purchased there:
"Knowledge And Innocence"
"Horrendous Disc"
"Darn Floor Big Bite" on CD
Vector's "Please Stand By"
AD's "Reconstructions"
77's "Sticks And Stones"
Adam Again's "Homeboys" and "In A New World Of Time"
Jacob's Trouble's "Knock Breathe Shine", just to name a few.

I recently went back there on my own, my car's transmission sputtering and burping all the way. When I got there, it felt like I would find just about anything I could hope for. However, I ended up walking away with nothing. Sure, they still have the most product, but the new stuff simply wasn't very enticing and the old stuff was non-existent.

And the same can be said for CCM. I'm all in favor of major label crossovers, but in order to secure distribution from Atlantic or Columbia, the work has become wishy-washy and vague, with clear band identities blurring into the rest of the crowd. Jesus still is the best prom date we've ever had, it seems. On the other pole, the CBS distribution only stuff, the message is even more trite and simplistic than it used to be. Believe it!

I know I sound like some old guy mourning a generational shift. But labels like BAI/Broken and Alarma/Frontline had a high percentage of hits over misses and I wish there was a regularly distributed one now with the same track record for quality.

I'm glad DA is in the magazine and I hope the coverage brings traffic and financial support to this site, and encouragement to get the band back in the studio. I wish Rez Band would do one more like "Lament". Mike and Co. need to make another Sevens, as does Steve and Derri over in TN, and where is Vector anyway?

I ramble. But I think you get the point. There is no great middle ground between faith-based music and rock right now. It's all or nothing with the message either being watered down or chanted verbatim off cue cards. There's no room for artistic expression, nothing to get nostalgic over, and that's why DA's entry into the magazine seems odd.

Surely, don't throw out the bad with the good, but why can't there be a little more good?

DwD
11-22-2003 07:29 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

quote:
PHP 1:15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

Paul says as long as Christ is preached....

Of course it has better be the real Christ and not some "i will make you healthy, wealthy and wise and if you arnt either then thiers sin in your lives Christ" And other heresies...

11-22-2003 14:58 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Squidzit
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-629.jpg

Registration Date: 05-14-2003

Question Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
What if by some huge mistake, these "Christian artists" are preaching a gospel and selling a Christ to the world and he's a fake? I believe many many of them are selling the Christ of American Christianity which in reality does not even exist. It's a big western idea of who Jesus is and was and what he taught. It's the big industry Jesus that they praise. I serve and praise a simple carpenter that both religious and non-religeous people rejected. We are so influienced by our culture that we make Jesus exactly how we want him so he will fit in with our lifestyle. Well, Jesus didn't fit in and he never will. Neither should we. Jesus would never be associated with big industry Christian or otherwise .

Key words... "I believe" .

Don't speak for Christ... "Jesus would never..." .

Once again it's my opinion, but I don't think anyone can or should tell us what Jesus would and would not do.

" It's the big industry Jesus that they praise. I serve and praise a simple carpenter that both religious and non-religeous people rejected. " They are wrong, you are right? Is that what you're saying? I've been to far too many churches that believe they are the only ones with the truth to buy that. Remember, everyone thinks they are right. We can't all be right can we? Someone has to be wrong. Right? Don't take this the wrong way dorf, like I always say, I'm just stating my opinion. That's all.

~Groucho~
11-22-2003 16:42 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-602.gif

Registration Date: 05-01-2003

Thumb Up! Terry's opinion Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Written by Terry Scott Taylor *edited*Oh by the way, speaking of Award Shows, I learned recently that Daniel Amos has the honor of being the first band inducted into CCM Music Magazine's Hall of Fame. Who'd a thunk it, huh? There's even a rumor of a Dove Award following on it's heals, but it's only a rumor, so don't hold your breath. I've had fantasies in the past about getting a Dove. I'm really very honored and deeply touched by CCM Magazines gesture, and if per chance the Dove thing happens, I promise to walk the straight and narrow and do my utmost to gush with the best of em. Besides' one day when I stand before the Lord, if nothing else maybe I'll be able to impress Him with my Dove award.

*edited*

read the whole article on the main page "Terry and Britney"

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by JR88: 11-22-2003 18:08.

11-22-2003 18:07 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Squidzit
quote:
What if by some huge mistake, these "Christian artists" are preaching a gospel and selling a Christ to the world and he's a fake? I believe many many of them are selling the Christ of American Christianity which in reality does not even exist. It's a big western idea of who Jesus is and was and what he taught. It's the big industry Jesus that they praise. I serve and praise a simple carpenter that both religious and non-religeous people rejected. We are so influienced by our culture that we make Jesus exactly how we want him so he will fit in with our lifestyle. Well, Jesus didn't fit in and he never will. Neither should we. Jesus would never be associated with big industry Christian or otherwise .

Key words... "I believe" .

Don't speak for Christ... "Jesus would never..." .

Once again it's my opinion, but I don't think anyone can or should tell us what Jesus would and would not do.

" It's the big industry Jesus that they praise. I serve and praise a simple carpenter that both religious and non-religeous people rejected. " They are wrong, you are right? Is that what you're saying? I've been to far too many churches that believe they are the only ones with the truth to buy that. Remember, everyone thinks they are right. We can't all be right can we? Someone has to be wrong. Right? Don't take this the wrong way dorf, like I always say, I'm just stating my opinion. That's all.

I know what you are saying but I can't buy into the whole greed thing secular or "Christian".

11-23-2003 01:46 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

RE: Terry's opinion Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Driver8
quote:
Written by Terry Scott Taylor *edited*Oh by the way, speaking of Award Shows, I learned recently that Daniel Amos has the honor of being the first band inducted into CCM Music Magazine's Hall of Fame. Who'd a thunk it, huh? There's even a rumor of a Dove Award following on it's heals, but it's only a rumor, so don't hold your breath. I've had fantasies in the past about getting a Dove. I'm really very honored and deeply touched by CCM Magazines gesture, and if per chance the Dove thing happens, I promise to walk the straight and narrow and do my utmost to gush with the best of em. Besides' one day when I stand before the Lord, if nothing else maybe I'll be able to impress Him with my Dove award.

*edited*

nobody else senses the sarcasm in terry's comments??? Confused

Cool
11-23-2003 02:29 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

quote:
- From Terry see the letter from the main page...
Of course I wouldn't dare, any more than would a good Christian act upon the bizarre impulses he might occasionally entertain, such as that fantasy where you run screaming and naked down the center isle of your church on Sunday morning

Well i didn't have that impulsive fantasy before but now it's stuck in my brain... Thank you very much Mr Taylor. If I give in I'll send my vicar after you.. Big Grin

11-23-2003 02:41 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Squidzit
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-629.jpg

Registration Date: 05-14-2003

RE: Terry's opinion Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
quote:

*edited*

It'd be easier if this was spoken, but yeah, I do. I guess we can ask him when and if this whole DA chat thing happens! Cool

~Groucho~
11-23-2003 10:39 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-602.gif

Registration Date: 05-01-2003

quote:
quote:
quote:

*edited*

yes I can Pleased but I also sense a deep sense of pride and relief. I believe he'll accept his kudos without any cynicsm or sarcasm. I believe he has classified himself as CCM.

don't be mad at my joey dude Shocked I still love ya Pleased

11-23-2003 11:20 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

It's called having fun Joey. A twist with words.

The whole concept of having lists and halls of fame and accolades and best of is pretty funny from a Christian point of view.

Imagine if the the Judgment Day was nothing more than an excuse for God to gather the faithful in the waiting area of heaven, then promptly hold an awards ceremony for the best of the chosen.

You pick the categories it could be fun.

11-23-2003 11:39 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

i agree with Jevon, but i'm disappointed that he didn't use any flatulence references.

i can't find the article Confused Crying Crying Crying Crying
11-23-2003 12:23 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Woolly Eggwhisk

... you ever wonder what "trumpet" brought down the walls of Jericho?

PS Baxturd, click on the TST link and it'll go to the article I believe you're referring to.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Jevon the Tall: 11-23-2003 14:01.

11-23-2003 14:00 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

Click on Terry's name at the left side menu... or
go to the main page... it's linked right above the
list of News items.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
11-23-2003 14:00 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

yeah ... like they said. (got beat by less than a minute!)

11-23-2003 14:02 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by baxter
i can't find the article Confused Crying Crying Crying Crying

Its on the main page just above the yellow box that talks about Marty's stuff.

11-23-2003 14:03 Ron E is online Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Ok, me tooSmile well not less than a minute, i guess you should reload the page before you reply!

11-23-2003 14:04 Ron E is online Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
freak freak is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-270.jpg

Registration Date: 11-13-2003

quote:
quote:
quote:

*edited*

IMHO - the sarcasm is dripping... making puddles on the floor - Uncle Terry is not motivated to do music for dove awards...

As I read the original - before I saw this new stuff on the thread; I was laughing out loud.

dit, dit, doo
11-23-2003 14:51 freak is offline Send an Email to freak Homepage of freak Search for Posts by freak Add freak to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Thanks Ron, Jev, and A bros. It was a great read!

i hope Squid doesn't see the part about Shania...
11-23-2003 14:55 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Pages (7): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » CCM Magazine December 2003

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH