Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Audiori... got hint? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Audiori... got hint? 3 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was thinking yesterday that da should compile a collection of great driving tunes and find an auto maker that is willing to pay you a fair price to put a copy in all all their cars Big Grin

On a serious note, I think the T-shirts will help but I'm not sure how much product they will help sell. A lot of people ask me about my Terry Taylor shirt but I'm positive that none of them baught a CD because of it. I think us fans have to be a little more aggressive in promoting our favorite band.

08-24-2003 11:56 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by DwDunphy
Well. I'm not sure about getting people to buy... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

...but the shirts will help people see the band even exists!

At this juncture, that's not even on the table! But a conversation piece like the "Darn Floor" shirt could be very interesting, especially since the music presaged the big alt.rock revival in the early 90s! DA went synthless before synthless was cool!

Not that I'm advocating taking DA up as a crusade, when it's obvious that it's what they stand for is what ought to be lifted up... But if it comes up in conversation, who among us won't gush?
08-24-2003 14:25 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I liked your review. It was great!

08-24-2003 17:50 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

iN the 80's these guys, the choir, the 77's, etc used to sell a lot more
than they do now.
It would be cool just to somehow let the fans they used to have
in the 80's know they still are around.

The T-Shirts might help with that...even if they don't make new fans.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-24-2003 19:23 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

I was wearing my Buechner shirt last week at a church youth thing and a guy there asked me about them, he remembered them from the 80's, I told him they were still around, but then he wanted to talk about Rez and old Petra. Soon I lost the opportunity, may the Lord forgive me...

08-24-2003 22:03 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Mad Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

We won't, brother!
08-24-2003 22:06 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

When ever I wear my store bought or home made shirts I get the old rolling eyes action going.

And not just because I buy the baby-doll size and my bear belly hangs out the bottom over the front of my jeans... some people just shouldn't go for the bare mid-riff look...

Seriously though - they know all about DA as I take evey opportunity to tell them. Still can't get hemto listen though - they just know about them...

08-24-2003 22:09 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Pedantic
Seriously though - they know all about DA as I take evey opportunity to tell them. Still can't get hemto listen though - they just know about them...

Gotta get 'em past head knowledge to heart knowledge (do I sound like a youth pastor now?)

08-24-2003 22:27 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
iN the 80's these guys, the choir, the 77's, etc used to sell a lot more
than they do now.
It would be cool just to somehow let the fans they used to have
in the 80's know they still are around.

The T-Shirts might help with that...even if they don't make new fans.

Great point and I thought about that today.

08-25-2003 00:58 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
samson samson is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

geting DA to others Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have told maney about the DA web site/store what i have done in the past is rip a cd with a few songs on it and put the web addy on the cd and give it a frend that might like DA. i do what i can for the band. Renewed My Membership to the Avocado Club, Mr. Buechner's Dream , When Everyone Wore Hats Book Set Volume Two and so on. i have asked for DA toon's to be played on the radio but if not jars of clay or somthing new they dont wont to play it...

how about you make a flyer that we all can download and post them in church or any store that will let us post them......
08-25-2003 04:35 samson is offline Send an Email to samson Search for Posts by samson Add samson to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

I saw some members of my church buying CDs at the BBQ we had.

I don't know that it will turn in to actual fandom, but they have at least moved past the "Terry who?" phase.

I suspect that it would not be cost effective to keep doing these type of reduced-cost tours in out-of-the-way locations (not to mention the strain on the guys) but it is a great way to introduce the guys to people who never go to C-stone.

08-25-2003 05:27 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
ToryNotion
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 07-27-2003

quote:
When we get the guys set up to take over the various sections of
the fan clubs, we can discuss with them some ideas too. Maybe they
have some suggestions on things. We've tossed around lots of ideas
before but time has always been a problem. Maybe a members only
messageboard section, or page on the websites, just not sure yet.
I still really like the Wilco page idea... they have a page where
if you bought their last album... you type in a number from it and
it opens a page with mp3s of a EP with the artwork for download.

j&e,

This is the second time i've heard about this 'buy the cd/download the ep' deal. I have YHF but I can't find any info re: this. Do you remember what the web page is?

thanks,
Mike

08-26-2003 11:31 ToryNotion is offline Send an Email to ToryNotion Search for Posts by ToryNotion Add ToryNotion to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I had YHF but I gave it back. Tongue

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
08-26-2003 11:33 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
ToryNotion
Mind Peach

Nevermind. It's all 'splained on there web site.

08-26-2003 11:38 ToryNotion is offline Send an Email to ToryNotion Search for Posts by ToryNotion Add ToryNotion to your Buddy List
ToryNotion
Mind Peach

quote:
Originally posted by carl
I had YHF but I gave it back. Tongue

I'm not convinced that it's a masterpiece but it's a keeper in my book.
My ep download is done. Almost 30 MB in a little over 3 mins. Love
that broadband!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ToryNotion: 08-26-2003 11:43.

08-26-2003 11:42 ToryNotion is offline Send an Email to ToryNotion Search for Posts by ToryNotion Add ToryNotion to your Buddy List
ToryNotion
Mind Peach

Audiori,

Order didn't arrive in yesterday's mail. Thought you were going to send it
'before the weekend'. Maybe today's mail. If not, expect some more fan
mail.

08-28-2003 06:27 ToryNotion is offline Send an Email to ToryNotion Search for Posts by ToryNotion Add ToryNotion to your Buddy List
Administrator

Its out of our hands at this point.. once the package is in the mail
we can't do anything.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-28-2003 16:00 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Commander Cote
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

I'd be willing to bet there are a good 8-10 live bootleg shows out there, such as "Live at the Oasis" (which is a pretty good recording), that you good sell. Now I know we talked at Cornerstone about all the whiners, but, I think that if you put out the cd and EXPLAIN to people, "Were trying to help the boys out here, so, were selling this live show (whatever show that might be) for $10, and, you can download the artwork here(whatever sight you choose, BD?)". Also put in your ad when you are selling a show such as this, "One Whine and You're Out" Of course there are always going to be complainers, but, maybe there are ways to minimize them. Now I talk to DA fans all the time and most of them would be happy with a blank disc and a paper sleeve. Most if not all have computers and do there own art work. So, the cost of doing a project such as this would be next to nothing.

Now, when it comes to something like "The 10 Songs" that DA recorded (I believe) between HD and Alarma, that might be something worth putting a little more effort into
(artwork, packaging).

Yes there are ways to do things to help the band make money. Now, me personally, I wasn't crazy about the Edward Daniel Taylor ll (Sorry Terry). I would rather spend $30
on a great bootleg with no artwork. There has got to be material (bootlegs, studio outtakes) out there that can be released. Pre-ordering is a great way to do it. If you make 500 of something and pre-order for $25, heck that's $12,500, I would think that
some money would be made, especially if the music's already recorded.

Let's face it, the days of DA selling big are probably gone, but for the true faithful fans
that are still out here we will help as much as we can. But, I feel some of this stuff better come more frequently or you're going to miss out on some great opportunities.

And if elected I promise...... ooh sorry, got carried a way.
08-28-2003 17:38 Commander Cote is offline Send an Email to Commander Cote Search for Posts by Commander Cote Add Commander Cote to your Buddy List
Administrator

Yeah, theres tons of stuff that could come out one way or another. I wouldn't mind for some of the poorer quality stuff to come out either as a "create your own CD" type of thing or maybe even through CafePress. You can print CDs through them.. we just haven't tested it out yet, so I don't know how good they look.

All of the better quality stuff... at the moment at least... is all being considered for the possible DA box set. Like the HD-era demos you mention - those will definitely come out at some point either as part of the box set or as a stand-alone release. There is a bunch of songs from that time period and they're all pretty cool.

We're actually just starting to restore a lot of Terry's tape archives. Tom G had begun to do that years ago, but barely scratched the surface. Its a slow process, but we can't wait to see what is there. Terry has two tapes labelled "Doppelganger Out-takes" for example... should be interesting. Wink

There will definitely be some cool stuff coming out soon - one way or another.

As far as the search for old fans goes.. I strongly believe that a lot of those old fans that have lost touch would still be interested in DA or 77s music if they knew they were still making music. Every now and then, we get emails from folks who just happen to stumble upon the website saying that they were fans years ago but lost touch after a certain album. ("You mean they released albums after "Fearful Symmetry"?!?) I think we've found some of these folks over the last few years, but there should still be thousands more out there. I think the biggest cause has just been poor advertisement from labels, very little radio play and several years without performing live much... I think a lot of these folks just assumed that the bands broke up.

08-28-2003 18:17 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
ToryNotion
Mind Peach

quote:
Its out of our hands at this point.. once the package is in the mail
we can't do anything.

Sent you some email. You can probably guess the topic.

08-28-2003 18:30 ToryNotion is offline Send an Email to ToryNotion Search for Posts by ToryNotion Add ToryNotion to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Audiori... got hint?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH