Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » bass playing question for Tim Chandler. » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page bass playing question for Tim Chandler.
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
One Weigh Street
unregistered
bass playing question for Tim Chandler. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hi Tim,

I have a question about your bass playing. Firstly, I love it. My question is with regards to an interview I read with you where you said that you actually play the bass with a pic. My question is: if you were to do a DA concert without a pic, would you be able to sound just as good, in your opinion?

Thank you,
Jim
03-12-2003 11:49
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

hey, one weigh Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

interesting question. i've never been asked that. no, i don't think it would sound as good--not on the stage anyway. the attack of a pick is just so different. but the other thing is, depending on the room, a lot of the attack that i can hear standing in front of the cabinet, gets lost in the room.
03-12-2003 12:00 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
One Weigh Street
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I see, depending on the acoustics, it might not make a difference either way, I take it is what you're saying. Thanks for answering the qeustion.

I'm curious, are there any other famous bass players that are known to use the pic, that you (or anyone else on the board) knows of?
Jim
03-12-2003 12:25
Daniel Amos

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

paul mcCartney uses one once in awhile. the guy in cheap trick, of course, with the twelve string bass
03-12-2003 12:30 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
One Weigh Street
unregistered

I guess that would be Rick Nielsen, eh, with his ten guitars in one?

One last question:
What bass line have you created that you are most proud of?

03-12-2003 12:35
Daniel Amos

i honestly don't really feel "proud" of a bass line but i think i know what you mean. i was fairly happy with some of the stuff on mbd, but seriously a lot of the time i'm just fumbling around and experimenting and hoping for the best.

i'll tell you what i DON'T like. i can't listen to my playing on vox, i just sound like i have no idea what i'm doing. and when i listen to bibleland, (a record i like a lot although i realize there are many who don't) on some of the songs i just sound way over the top--a little (or maybe a LOT) too much.
03-12-2003 12:43 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
One Weigh Street
unregistered

"I'll Get Over It" is fantastic though. Hey Tim, thanks for answering the qeustions. I apprecaite it. I have to get back to work now. I hope to catch you more on the board in the future.
Take care, and thanks for being involved in the great DA music which we all thoroughly enjoy here.
Jim
03-12-2003 12:54
Daniel Amos

i'm going to take my son to lunch, but if anyone wants to talk some more, i'll be back in an hour and a half
03-12-2003 12:59 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

quote:
Originally posted by tchandler
i'm going to take my son to lunch, but if anyone wants to talk some more, i'll be back in an hour and a half

hey, tc

it is great to see you posting...

this questions comes from out of the blue, but I am not sure who else to ask. & I know you have worked with him in the past so, do you have any info on the whereabout's & whatabout's of Mr. Tonio K. ?

DaLe

03-12-2003 13:17 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

he used to come through nashville fairly often, but hasn't for quite awhile. we had a band "reunion" back in 1999 (ten years before that, we'd last done the opening-band gig on the kinks tour.) i've seen him several times since then but not recently at all. i was just thinking about him the other day.
03-12-2003 14:11 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I thought Tonio K. was living in Austin for awhile. I'm not positive though.

03-12-2003 14:26 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

that was years ago--he split his time between LA and austin. maybe he's back there again.
03-12-2003 14:35 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

quote:
Originally posted by One Weigh Street
I guess that would be Rick Nielsen, eh, with his ten guitars in one?

AAAAAAACK!

Rick is the guitar player - he's not a bass player. You're thinking Tom Petersson - a great player who plays a monster 12 string which is a hell of a pig to play.

03-12-2003 15:01 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

that's the guy alright
03-12-2003 15:02 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Apparently you assumed guitar / bass duties for VOX. You've stated it's not one you like to listen to. How was it working with Kenny Loggins? Vox Humana was his most underrated album. Looking through the credits I don't see your name? Was that an intentional oversight, or did artistic differences cause you to use a pseudonym?

03-12-2003 15:09 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

what?! he didn't put my name on it!? and after all the fine guitar work i did on "no lookin' back!" and "i'm gonna do it right!"
03-12-2003 15:20 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

There is no justice in this world. Sigh, but time is the best revenge - Songs from Pooh Corner was a fitting title. Although Pooh Songs would've been been better.

03-12-2003 15:24 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
i honestly don't really feel "proud" of a bass line but i think i know what you mean. i was fairly happy with some of the stuff on mbd, but seriously a lot of the time i'm just fumbling around and experimenting and hoping for the best.

i'll tell you what i DON'T like. i can't listen to my playing on vox, i just sound like i have no idea what i'm doing. and when i listen to bibleland, (a record i like a lot although i realize there are many who don't) on some of the songs i just sound way over the top--a little (or maybe a LOT) too much.

Bibleland is just a blare it loud and have fun great album! I love the song "She's working here" a lot! That whole album is wonderful, although yes, many don't like that one... but, whatever! It's there lose! Tongue

03-12-2003 16:16 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Gabriel Syme Gabriel Syme is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-135.gif

quote:
i honestly don't really feel "proud" of a bass line but i think i know what you mean.

I really like your line in "Catch That Angel." Is that fretless? I could name many others, but that's in the stereo in my car right now.

& while I have your eyes, please let me say "thank you" for the inspiration you have been for my own efforts as a bass player manque.

To the person who asked about players who use picks, Doug Pinnick uses them.

EDIT: misspelled "Pinnick." It might still be wrong, but I know it doesn't end with an "h."
03-12-2003 16:36 Gabriel Syme is offline Search for Posts by Gabriel Syme Add Gabriel Syme to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

gabriel Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

thanks, i appreciate that. no, i didn't play fretless on that song--there are only a few da/se songs that i ever did play fretless on.

doug is another GREAT one that i forgot about
03-12-2003 16:45 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » bass playing question for Tim Chandler.

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH