Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Crying Towel » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Crying Towel
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jollyholiday
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

new dogs disc at Christian retail Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

If you live in the Mpls/St.Paul area. The new Dogs disc will be on sale for 12.97 at Northwestern Book Stores when it releases tomorrow. That's still under $14 bucks with tax included.

-Jolly
03-24-2003 09:57 jollyholiday is offline Send an Email to jollyholiday Search for Posts by jollyholiday Add jollyholiday to your Buddy List
brd2yrmother
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-21-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I do have to say that as a manager of a Christian bookstore, it was hard to justify carrying a lot of the cool music that I carried. It just sat there. Nobody bought it - stonehill, daniel amos, lost dogs, 77s, adam again, etc. It sucked to see 100s of copies of butterfly kisses being purchased and all those beautiful DA CDs collecting dust. I took most of them with me when I left, and have sold them on e-bay for much more than they would have sold for in the store. It's sad that DA and other bands like them don't get support in the retail world. It would certainly make them more popular with people who have to worry about "the bottom line."
03-24-2003 13:34 brd2yrmother is offline Send an Email to brd2yrmother Search for Posts by brd2yrmother Add brd2yrmother to your Buddy List
jwaltb
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-23-2002

buying at the bs Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

On buying at the local BS, I was under the impression it's a good thing, esp when first released, to help push their sales figures up in the trade returns. You know, success breeds success. I was thinking that by getting good numbers they would attract more attention and maybe more people would look into them. I know it's just one purchase but hopefully alot of folks will be doing the same thing on the first few days of the release. And if nothing else, maybe this little BS in Lafayette will stock a few more of their products, someone will give it a shot, and the DA conglomerate gets a new fan. What do y'all think?

JB
03-25-2003 12:03 jwaltb is offline Send an Email to jwaltb Search for Posts by jwaltb Add jwaltb to your Buddy List
Toque Boy Toque Boy is a male
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 12-08-2002

Nice topic of discussion Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It is the ol' battle. Do you look to save some money and but cds when they get to clearance prices? Do you buy from the book store? Do you buy from the artist directly? My habit of listening to music is not cheap and my wife isn't so keen on me spending all her hard-earned money so the cheap route is easier. But I do want to support the artists that I really like. Back and forth, to and fro, I am tossed by my good intentions. I could try and justify my buying the cheap, discounted copies by saying that I go to so many concerts and I always am buying their t-shirts, but I do live in Canada and most of my favorite artists don't make it across the border that often. So if I said that, I would be lying and that would not be very good. So I am still tossed. Anyone got a life preserver and a boat to pull me in?

(I am planning to reward myself when I get through this semester of school with the latest Lost Dogs cd, but with my wife carrying and delivering twins this summer, Iprobably won't be spoiling myself too much.)
03-25-2003 13:19 Toque Boy is offline Send an Email to Toque Boy Search for Posts by Toque Boy Add Toque Boy to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

got it.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

So I went to the local Family Christian Bookstore today...and for the record I really dislike Christian bookstores...anyway, I picked up the ONE, uno, 1, copy of NCT they had shipped to them to put on their shelves. One copy. Anyway, after spending my $17.00 I am happy to call it my own. Go buy it folks...it is out and does exist.

stay safe,

jeffrey k.
www.lo-fidelity.com

03-25-2003 13:22 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Hell Yes! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jollyholiday
If you live in the Mpls/St.Paul area. The new Dogs disc will be on sale for 12.97 at Northwestern Book Stores when it releases tomorrow. That's still under $14 bucks with tax included.

-Jolly

Woo-Hoo! Smile )

03-25-2003 15:39 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I purchase mine today at a Family Christian Bookstore. They had 2 in stock. I checked to see if it was at Best Buy first, but no it wasn't.

03-25-2003 17:43 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by dorfsmith

The Lost Dogs webpage does not even have it yet. I was gonna buy it there. My Christian bookstore never has anything!

03-25-2003 19:25 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
My Christian bookstore never has anything!

mine neither! Mad

Cool
03-25-2003 19:33 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
The Lost Dogs webpage does not even have it yet. I was gonna buy it there. My Christian bookstore never has anything!

We should have it up any day now.. the order is in and we're just waiting on CDs to show up.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-25-2003 20:31 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
BobRobertz BobRobertz is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 03-02-2003

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
quote:

We should have it up any day now.. the order is in and we're just waiting on CDs to show up.

Any word on my order that I placed (4 weeks ago) for K&I and MBD?
03-25-2003 20:46 BobRobertz is offline Send an Email to BobRobertz Search for Posts by BobRobertz Add BobRobertz to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of BobRobertz: BobRobertz1
jwaltb
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-23-2002

1 of 2 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Got mine at the Family BS in our area - 1 of the 2 there - and after two listens I've gotta say I am pleased. Working through the first listen I wasn't too sure. But after halfway listening and running through what I had to do while I was in town I turned up the volume and settled in to soaking it up in earnest during the drive home. That's when it started to grab me.
It is a bit different from the last one to me. First off, all the songs on the CD seem to speak in a pretty straightforward manner about the author's relationship with the Lord; whether singing to Him, about Him, or hearing from Him. And that ain't a bad thing! What I hear here is an intimate, heartfelt portrayal of a man's communion with, communication to and about, and calling out to God and sometimes God's answering back. And the musical backdrop is definitely fitting. While not sparse (I don't once remember thinking it lacked something), it's definitely mellow and very acoustic oriented. You won't find much in the way of distortion here. But that doesn't mean there's not some good playing. I wouldn't call Mike Roe's guitar playing flashy anywhere on the CD but there are some really good licks and gentle nuances that DO catch your ear. His slide playing on Be My Hiding Place is tasty and tasteful! What tone! Finally Tim of course does a great job on bass and I find Dennis Holt's drumming (now I know where I heard that name before-Kerry Livgren!) really fitting in well with the music. I even found Phil Madeira's playing blends well with his surroundings(I was wrong, it IS him), much better than I thought he did in the past. In short, I do plan on spinning this a bunch. Hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

JB
03-25-2003 21:57 jwaltb is offline Send an Email to jwaltb Search for Posts by jwaltb Add jwaltb to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

I drove 40 minutes (one way!) tonight to pick it up and when I got there...they were closedSmile I had called ahead and they did have it, I guess I should have asked what time closing was!

03-25-2003 22:01 Ron E is online Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by BobRobertz
quote:
quote:

Any word on my order that I placed (4 weeks ago) for K&I and MBD?

I'll check on it - should be on the way.. I don't think we're 4 weeks behind on any regular orders. We have been running out of Buechners frequently lately.. haven't been able to afford to order a bunch at one time and so we've just been ordering a box as we need them. That could have caused a little extra delay, but I'm not sure yet.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-26-2003 11:36 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

quote:
... We have been running out of Buechners frequently lately.. haven't been able to afford to order a bunch at one time and so we've just been ordering a box as we need them...

Sounds good if you can't keep it in stock, I guess. May we ask how the disc has sold in comparison to other DA releases? I know the question has been brought up several times before but which DA release has sold the best through the years anyway?

03-26-2003 21:43 Ron E is online Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Administrator

I'm not sure what the total sales are for Buechners actually.. no idea what sold through bookstores, other internet stores, Galaxy21 directly, etc.

As for as sales through the DA store.. its one of the biggest and fastest sellers we've ever had. Probably second only to Imaginarium.

03-26-2003 23:01 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

quote:

As for as sales through the DA store.. its one of the biggest and fastest sellers we've ever had. Probably second only to Imaginarium.

Imaginarium? Really, I never would have guessed that. but that's not all time for all DA releases I guess. Just at danielamos.com. Ok, now I've got itSmile

03-26-2003 23:04 Ron E is online Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by dorfsmith

Imaginarium is huge in Japan.

03-26-2003 23:43 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Administrator

Yeah, its huge in Japan. They even had Neverhood action figures.

We sell it (when its in stock) all over the world... Japan, Israel, China, Australia, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Ireland, Scotland, Great Britain, Italy, Spain, Poland, Africa, etc, etc... its pretty wild. It really has a life of its own.

...even Ben Afleck has a copy...

(We need to get that reprinted.)

We can sell it to anyone who had the Neverhood or
Skullmonkeys games.

03-27-2003 04:54 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Saw this on the 77s board.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"Just got the new Lost Dogs CD and I must say that I am very impressed! I have not been a big fan of the last 2 albums (just a little to country for my personal taste) but this one is more like older Dogs material, a little more diverse musically. LOVE Cry Out Loud, Mike doing the blues is one of my favorites! I know this is a 77s site but I had to give props to Mike and the Dogs for a great CD."

Someone else put it above LRRH (but still below Scenic Routes)-- which I'll have to hear to believe. Still, I for one am greatly encouraged by this. I rather liked Gift Horse, but I still can't stand Real Men Bite. I thought it might've be time for the Dogs to hit the track, but.... anyway, my hopes are rising cautiously but surely now....

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
03-27-2003 11:13 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Pages (5): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Crying Towel

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH