Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Zoom Daddy reformed » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Zoom Daddy reformed
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Zoom Daddy reformed Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Okay, confession time. I've had the album for 8 years, and tried and tried to like it. It would play in the background and remain there. Sure Zoom Daddy rocked, and the first couple of songs were alright - but it was quickly consigned to the CD rack.

So here's to BD and others who convinced me to play this one again, and really listen.

Bashturds! One of two things has happened. I really like it because I've been won over. Two I've grown used to it.

Doesn't matter. The more I listen the more musical parallels I pick up between ZD and SOTH. Very strange and wonderful.

How could I have missed out on the brilliance? Pyro Sets a Wildfire alone is one of the best tracks ever. As song number 10 I seldom got that far into the disc.

Okay boys, ya got me. Four stars!

Now if I could only like Little, BIG.

11-06-2002 13:02 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

(sniff) Don't I get a mention? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"Doesn't matter. The more I listen the more musical parallels I pick up between ZD and SOTH. Very strange and wonderful."

Bingo! Welcome to the Kingdom, son....

"How could I have missed out on the brilliance?"

nadaed if *I* know. Too much poopyness, maybe?

"Pyro Sets a Wildfire alone is one of the best tracks ever. As song number 10 I seldom got that far into the disc."

Stupid, stupid, stupid.... it doesn't even START to pin you to the wall until "Sweet Mother of God".... and then you get "God Went Bowling," "Art Carney's Dream".... ah, I'm spinningswirling again....

"Okay boys, ya got me. Four stars!"

That's IT??? Tongue

"Now if I could only like Little, BIG."

Heck. Now if I could only BUY it....

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
11-06-2002 13:08 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

P.S. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Lest you missed it that first time....

It's Roy #*@^$% Wood!

Why Jeff Lynne Should Be Ashamed... Click Here

11-06-2002 13:10 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
EdHead EdHead is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 10-21-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"Faith is a trampoline,
Life is a gingersnap.

Love is like gasoline,
Hope is a welcome mat."

Yup...a masterpiece impregnated with meaning!

Big Grin

11-06-2002 13:19 EdHead is offline Homepage of EdHead Search for Posts by EdHead Add EdHead to your Buddy List Add EdHead to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of EdHead: messayoussa YIM Account Name of EdHead: yahooyolo View the MSN Profile for EdHead
jc
Luteous Llama

WHAT GOT ME Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

my confession-
I had to listen to it about 5 or more times before
the scale started to tip.
Though I liked the twist-Mr Sharky and Some Friendly Advice (along with GWBowling) right away.
I think we all admit its not as "friendly" as even other Eddies stuff..
but it...well..it zooms!
JiMiny
ps: I bought in a used bin, and have seen it thrice or more since in a bin..(don't gasp- its still like $9.00...so someones of a varied opinion here)
11-06-2002 13:32 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
EdHead EdHead is a male
Official Impasto

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My cofession-

Definately NOT a typical Eddies album. It's somehow missing Camarillo's "true" vocal accent...(as seen in OE) Frown

11-06-2002 13:35 EdHead is offline Homepage of EdHead Search for Posts by EdHead Add EdHead to your Buddy List Add EdHead to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of EdHead: messayoussa YIM Account Name of EdHead: yahooyolo View the MSN Profile for EdHead
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

I totally love the whole album - except for "nightmare at Elks lodge" That one just totallt bugs me and is about the onlt TST song I skip over.

Yes I know heresy I skip over a TST song.

Forgive me Outdoor Elivs.
11-06-2002 14:24 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Diamonds to coal on ZD... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The lyrics are among the best Terry has ever written.

There are some gems here, but certain songs I have tried and tried and tried but cannot get into:

Diamonds:
Mr. Sharky: ooooooooh, that bass line!
Pyro: absolutely brilliant
Twist: incredibly moving
multipurpose man: cool sound, cool concept
ZD: breathtaking - "even so come quickly, Lord Jesus"

Coal:
- Nightmare: like the energizer bunny, goes on and on...
- friendly advice: unsure of the point, don't care for the music at all.
- holy x3: music me no likee

11-06-2002 14:48 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
- Nightmare: like the energizer bunny, goes on and on...

Yes yes yes that is exactly why I don't like nightmare... it goes on and on

But when you listen to the lyrics that is the point of the song - the people are trapped with no escape and the music emphasies this.
11-06-2002 14:51 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Oh YEAH??? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well, I only have one thing to say to THAT....

It's Roy #*@^$% Wood!

Why Jeff Lynne Should Be Ashamed... Click Here

(& to be honest, I tend to track through "Some Friendly Advice" too.... but how come no ooh-inh & ahhh-ing over "Art Carney's Dream"???)

11-06-2002 14:55 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Pfiagra
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-137.jpg

Registration Date: 04-26-2002

quote:
Originally posted by EdHead
My cofession-

Definately NOT a typical Eddies album. It's somehow missing Camarillo's "true" vocal accent...(as seen in OE) Frown

We know why this is, of course, thanks to Camarillo's explanation on the Sacred Cows liner notes.

11-06-2002 14:59 Pfiagra is offline Send an Email to Pfiagra Search for Posts by Pfiagra Add Pfiagra to your Buddy List
EdHead EdHead is a male
Official Impasto

Ahh hah! After I went back to read the inside of ZD I see..no mention of Camarillo or the rest of the Eddies...

Thanks Pfiagra! I am much more enlightened now...Tongue

11-06-2002 15:12 EdHead is offline Homepage of EdHead Search for Posts by EdHead Add EdHead to your Buddy List Add EdHead to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of EdHead: messayoussa YIM Account Name of EdHead: yahooyolo View the MSN Profile for EdHead
jc
Luteous Llama

i LOVE FREINDLY ADVICE! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

all-
I immediately copied the lyric page..and highlighted those things I have (or had) done!! (I did NOT t.p an entire house, but did some major damage to a porch!)
aint bought a quick pick or sky dived (dove)
but other than that...
how many of you HAVE smoked a cigar...and milked a cow?
JimIny

Oh ..heres my sign saying
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ +
+ The Beginning is near! +
+ +
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ONe less thing!
JimIny
11-06-2002 15:13 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Zoom Daddy is Great!

Outdoor Elvis is better! Pleased

11-06-2002 15:59 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

i've smoked a cigar and milked a goat

not simultaneously

but i will try it tomorrow at your suggestion, Jiminy.

if i inadvertantly scorch a teat, can i tell my wife that it was your idea?

if she banishes me to the goathouse, i can always take my portable cd player and my Zoom Daddy and thus maintain a positive attitude.
11-07-2002 02:02 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
jc
Luteous Llama

baxter- Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

there is provision for going to confession-
and it checks off another thing!
JimIny
11-07-2002 07:57 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

have already done that one (are you listening, JIm?)

any other advice for me, JC?
11-07-2002 11:31 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

SOTH part 2 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I played "Zoom Daddy" today in the work van (twice) and think it may have been better as a 2nd disc to songs of the heart. It could have been another MBD or white album. The trouble is ZD is not a real Eddies album. It is pure DA. Not that pure DA is a bad thing. It just ain't an Eddies album.

11-07-2002 16:05 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
jamespop jamespop is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

Except, of course, that "Zoom Daddy" came out BEFORE "Songs of the Heart".
11-07-2002 16:16 jamespop is offline Send an Email to jamespop Search for Posts by jamespop Add jamespop to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by jamespop
Except, of course, that "Zoom Daddy" came out BEFORE "Songs of the Heart".

well ya... Tongue

but to me it just sounds like outakes from SOTH.

11-07-2002 16:24 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Zoom Daddy reformed

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH