Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Royalty Loyalty » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Royalty Loyalty
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 Royalty Loyalty sondance 07-03-2017 19:44
 RE: Royalty Loyalty Audiori J 07-03-2017 20:27
 RE: Royalty Loyalty sondance 07-04-2017 15:28
 RE: Royalty Loyalty Audiori J 07-04-2017 16:46
 RE: Royalty Loyalty sondance 07-05-2017 12:16
 RE: Royalty Loyalty WoaaahJelly! 07-05-2017 14:15
 RE: Royalty Loyalty Audiori J 07-06-2017 06:18

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

Royalty Loyalty Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

DA albums apparently sell on a variety of outlets.
Do the guys still get royalties these days?

being nosy

Psalm 119:83

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by sondance: 07-03-2017 19:57.

07-03-2017 19:44 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Depends on who is selling them and who owns the rights.

When it comes to the Horrendous Disc kickstarter we intend on all the band members to get something even if it's divided up so much after the expenses that they don't get much. We have to pay for all the printing, then the money gets split between the two labels involved, then the Stunt part will get divied up by the band.

We were asked once about some reissue CDs we were selling, if the old band members got royalties.... this is a situation where the label that printed them should pay royalties, the outlets that buy the CDs wholesale from the label can sell them for a proffit (and not need to pay royalties). But even in that case we would put the money the site made back into producing new albums or reissues or whatever. Those reissues get sold on things like the DA tour where the band splits the money as they choose.

07-03-2017 20:27 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Thread Starter Thread Started by sondance
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

ok, wouldn't the seller of the wholesale purchases pay royalties?

07-04-2017 15:28 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

No. If Word records put your album out (owned the license) and printed a million copies... for every copy sold to resellers (or anywhere else) they (Word) would have to pay royalties. The resellers are just buying the product and reselling for a proffit, the resellers don't pay royalties. Just as if you resell your CD collection on ebay, you don't pay royalties. The reslleers can't print the album themselves unless they pay a license fee to the owner (Word) in which case the artist would get royalties from that.

In the case of DA, almost every album came out on a different label. In some cases Terry/the band owns the album and the publishing, sometiems they own the publishing and in some cases they own nothing. Terry has been working out getting some of the ownership back the last few years.

It gets a little complicated because if someone owns the recorded album... then the band can't rerelease the album as it was releleased before without paying a license. On the other hand if they own the publishing they could rerecord the album and release that. At the same time if a label owns the album but not the publishing, technically they can't put the album out again without paying royalties for the publishing...

This all gets messy as none of this gets enforced very well. At least not without the RIAA or someone getting involved.

But really royalties which are typically like 9 cents per copy are not as big of a deal as it would seem when the volume of product is printed in such low quantities. If 1000 CDs are pressed....were talking like $90. Which is why in our case we don't take a cut and just give the money to the parties involved.

07-04-2017 16:46 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Thread Starter Thread Started by sondance

wow that is complicated, thanks Jason

07-05-2017 12:16 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
WoaaahJelly! WoaaahJelly! is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-650.jpg

Registration Date: 06-25-2013

Sounds like there's a complex system of layers of nonsense between the musicians (the proper owners of the music) and the music they made, and the profits. Maybe this goes back to the era when an artists needed the production apparatus for physical media. Seems to me these days artists can record and cut and produce distribute their own media (downloads too).

07-05-2017 14:15 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
Administrator

Yeah... but I think it was set up in such a way that for example in the 60s the bands didn't have the money to press a million copies of their album... the labels did. So if the label pays for most of it and pays for advertising and all that, they get most of the money. The royalty thing was to make sure the artist got something.

Now days it's quite different... there still is the above for big name artists... but things like kickstarter and patreon allow the artist to be essentially their own label. Of course typically millions of copies don't get sold and the advertising is not like Pepsi commercials and Rolling Stone.

One other thing.... when a song is played publically to an audience the radio station or whoever should be paying royalties. Which again gets messy because as everyone knows with the internet.. and online radio stations and youtube people put artist's music up to stream and nothing gets paid to the artist at all.

It's why there is a debate about how to police the internet. People's intellectual property gets used without royalties being paid.

07-06-2017 06:18 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Royalty Loyalty

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH