Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Themes And Symbols In DA/Eddies Music » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Themes And Symbols In DA/Eddies Music
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
WoaaahJelly! WoaaahJelly! is a male
Luteous Llama


images/avatars/avatar-650.jpg

Registration Date: 06-25-2013
Posts: 270
Location: Ohio

Themes And Symbols In DA/Eddies Music Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I did a quick and lazy search and I didn't see anything like this. Maybe we could use this thread to scrutinize various DA/Eddies songs- their lyrics mostly, and music also. I can start off with one I love and have heard a thousand times- the Eddies "Mr. Sharky" from 1994's "Zoom Daddy".

It's clear to me Mr Sharky is a long-time burden of some kind to the songwriter. Comes to mind he could represent drug addiction, carnal thoughts and battles with "The Old Man", or even a chronic health condition. We get the sense that he was battling Mr Sharky before 1994, during that time, and to this day. He never shook Mr Sharky.

The following lyrics were lifted (errr, liberated) from the DA website:

"they've got the cash to lend me now, and i've still got some dreams".

This could even be simply a loan shark! Or a drug dealer!

"mr. sharky and his boys are smokin' cigars. they came knocking on my door three days ago."

"Three days ago" of course rings some bells.

Mobsters? Loan sharks is too obvious a conclusion, or is it?

"now they're spread out on my matching couch and love seat..."

Mr Sharky and his crew have a sort of disrespectful familiarity with the songwriter.


I love the imagery in this song! That coupled with the music and occasional sound effect make me see all this happening, under the ocean waves:

"now sharky makes a slight adjustment to his aqua-green toupee, then flosses up all his bloody gums and teeth..."

Mr Sharky is vain and superficial (aqua green toupee', Florsheims on his tail) and useless ("as if his presence really had some kind of worth"), and has pretenses of being an intelligent being ("sharky drinks my wine and works my lap computer").

So dambed if I know. I'd guess drug addiction? Or even addiction to meds for chronic pain.

__________________
I always liked Ed.
12-07-2016 00:40 WoaaahJelly! is online Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
Jimmy Brown
Woolly Eggwhisk


Registration Date: 06-26-2007
Posts: 797

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I should buy Zoom Daddy some day.
05-04-2017 07:46 Jimmy Brown is online Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator


images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Posts: 7,518
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'd have to think it through more, but I always just took it as representing some industry type; record label, producer, manager, etc. that is just after a piece of the pie or more accurately the whole pie. Kind of like dealing with the sharks on shark tank. They have the money to lend you for your project, but if you are not careful they will also take all the money created by your project as well. They will chew you up and spit you out.

I know these bands have experienced some of that over the years. It's a major reason my brother and I got involved in supporting them. We've never taken any percentage of the income from the sales. with the exception of the first year we worked for them and that was about 10% and only because we were told to. And that is more than offset by the things we've paid for out of pocket. I am pretty sure Tom Gulotta has done the same.

Just in the short time we've worked for them, we've seen a few sharks that seem to just have dollar signs in their eyes. Which frankly is crazy if you know anything about the industry these bands are in. Occasionally some seemingly well intentioned people think they can run a business to support themselves by working with some of these bands, but in my opinion all that leads to is the already small pie being divvied up to smaller and smaller portions. And the artists start struggling.

Things like kickstarter and the patreon thing help a ton now, not only because of the transparency but also because it cuts out the middle man and leaves less room for the sharks. It's a much more direct line from the fan to the artist.

__________________
"Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence." ~ Robert Frost
05-04-2017 08:10 Audiori J is online Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
WoaaahJelly! WoaaahJelly! is a male
Luteous Llama


images/avatars/avatar-650.jpg

Registration Date: 06-25-2013
Posts: 270
Location: Ohio

Thread Starter Thread Started by WoaaahJelly!
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Very good. Thank you for the insider perspective.

__________________
I always liked Ed.
05-05-2017 07:56 WoaaahJelly! is online Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
WoaaahJelly! WoaaahJelly! is a male
Luteous Llama


images/avatars/avatar-650.jpg

Registration Date: 06-25-2013
Posts: 270
Location: Ohio

Thread Starter Thread Started by WoaaahJelly!
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Brown
I should buy Zoom Daddy some day.


It's amazing. My first Eddies was Outdoor Elvis but easily my favorite is Zoom Daddy.

__________________
I always liked Ed.
05-05-2017 08:31 WoaaahJelly! is online Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
joey
Platyhelminth


images/avatars/avatar-261.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Posts: 7,075
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by WoaaahJelly!
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Brown
I should buy Zoom Daddy some day.


It's amazing. My first Eddies was Outdoor Elvis but easily my favorite is Zoom Daddy.


my first was let's spin but yes! Cool

__________________
facebook

Cool
05-05-2017 16:57 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
wayneb wayneb is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk


Registration Date: 04-24-2002
Posts: 908
Location: back in New Zealand

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

And yes!

__________________
"Don't Fight Your Own Liar..."

www.smashthatcomputer.com
05-05-2017 21:35 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth


images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002
Posts: 5,221
Location: Central Ontario Canada

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

What Joey said...

__________________
The opinion expressed is that of the participant and does not necessarily reflect that of Mr Dan Amos. But if it doesn't, he would be wrong.
05-06-2017 11:26 Ron E is online Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Jimmy Brown
Woolly Eggwhisk


Registration Date: 06-26-2007
Posts: 797

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
Originally posted by WoaaahJelly!
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Brown
I should buy Zoom Daddy some day.


It's amazing. My first Eddies was Outdoor Elvis but easily my favorite is Zoom Daddy.


my first was let's spin but yes! Cool

I also agree on both counts! Um, wait a minute....
05-09-2017 18:00 Jimmy Brown is online Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
WoaaahJelly! WoaaahJelly! is a male
Luteous Llama


images/avatars/avatar-650.jpg

Registration Date: 06-25-2013
Posts: 270
Location: Ohio

Thread Starter Thread Started by WoaaahJelly!
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Brown
quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
Originally posted by WoaaahJelly!
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Brown
I should buy Zoom Daddy some day.


It's amazing. My first Eddies was Outdoor Elvis but easily my favorite is Zoom Daddy.


my first was let's spin but yes! Cool

I also agree on both counts! Um, wait a minute....


Nested quotes aplenty! Couldn't help myself, LOLZ.

__________________
I always liked Ed.
05-10-2017 10:16 WoaaahJelly! is online Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
WoaaahJelly! WoaaahJelly! is a male
Luteous Llama


images/avatars/avatar-650.jpg

Registration Date: 06-25-2013
Posts: 270
Location: Ohio

Thread Starter Thread Started by WoaaahJelly!
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
I'd have to think it through more, but I always just took it as representing some industry type; record label, producer, manager, etc. that is just after a piece of the pie or more accurately the whole pie. Kind of like dealing with the sharks on shark tank. They have the money to lend you for your project, but if you are not careful they will also take all the money created by your project as well. They will chew you up and spit you out.

I know these bands have experienced some of that over the years. It's a major reason my brother and I got involved in supporting them. We've never taken any percentage of the income from the sales. with the exception of the first year we worked for them and that was about 10% and only because we were told to. And that is more than offset by the things we've paid for out of pocket. I am pretty sure Tom Gulotta has done the same.

Just in the short time we've worked for them, we've seen a few sharks that seem to just have dollar signs in their eyes. Which frankly is crazy if you know anything about the industry these bands are in. Occasionally some seemingly well intentioned people think they can run a business to support themselves by working with some of these bands, but in my opinion all that leads to is the already small pie being divvied up to smaller and smaller portions. And the artists start struggling.

Things like kickstarter and the patreon thing help a ton now, not only because of the transparency but also because it cuts out the middle man and leaves less room for the sharks. It's a much more direct line from the fan to the artist.


Inspiration struck- any chance this shark had long, blonde hair?

__________________
I always liked Ed.
05-10-2017 10:29 WoaaahJelly! is online Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Themes And Symbols In DA/Eddies Music

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH