Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition)
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) audiori 07-25-2013 00:05
 RE: DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) Mike Beidler 07-26-2013 17:39
 RE: DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) DwDunphy 07-25-2013 03:45
 RE: DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) Eis 07-25-2013 08:50
 RE: DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) Ritchie_az 07-25-2013 10:47
 RE: DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) Mark 07-25-2013 12:05
 RE: DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) Audiori J 07-25-2013 12:29
 RE: DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) wayneb 07-25-2013 16:51
 RE: DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) audiori 07-26-2013 18:13
 RE: DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) brother joel 07-26-2013 18:20
 RE: DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) wakachiwaka 07-27-2013 00:01
 Bonus material voxrob 07-31-2013 13:14
 RE: DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) Audiori J 07-31-2013 14:00
 RE: DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) Audiori J 07-26-2013 20:33
 RE: DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) DwDunphy 07-27-2013 10:25
 RE: DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) Mark 08-02-2013 18:58
 RE: DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) audiori 08-02-2013 19:09
 RE: DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) Mark 08-02-2013 19:55
 Alarma... Tyler Durden 08-04-2013 15:28
 RE: DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) audiori 08-04-2013 16:43
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Oh, crud! Did we forget to mention the new 2-Disc Deluxe Remastered ¡Alarma! re-issue? Yeah, well, crud. Ahem... Hey! Check this out! Remastered by J Powell, this is ¡Alarma! like you've never heard it before. It shimmers and shines and has a beautiful warm bottom end. (Easy now...) Did we mention the 21-song bonus disc, filled with demos, outtakes, alternate mixes and a 7-minute reading of the Chronicles by Malcolm Wild? And the 28-page booklet filled with unseen photos and memorabilia? Well, crud. How did we forget to mention this? Oh, yeah, we've been busy this summer putting out new records and whatnot. Well, here you go.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-25-2013 00:05 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Mike Beidler
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 07-21-2002

RE: DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Of course, this re-release makes me ask whether similar treatment is forthcoming for the other three chapters! Has DA been successful in obtaining sole rights to Vox Humana?

Speaking of which, what was the reason Refuge gave for splitting up VH over two discs on the 2000 book set?
07-26-2013 17:39 Mike Beidler is offline Send an Email to Mike Beidler Search for Posts by Mike Beidler Add Mike Beidler to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Quite a wake-up, boys.
07-25-2013 03:45 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Track list for the bonus disc?

I mean, I'll buy it sight unseen, but I'm curious.
07-25-2013 08:50 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Smile Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Awesome!

07-25-2013 10:47 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I bought it, but what is the track list for the bonus disc. I tried to blow up the photo but it's still a little hard to read on my phone.

07-25-2013 12:05 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Disc II:
1. Little Things
2. Off My Mind
3. As Long As I Live
4. No Spaceship
5. Out of Town
6. Only One
7. Central Theme
8. My Room
9. Faces To The Window
10. Colored By
11. Through The Speakers
12. Hit Them
13. Endless Summer
14. Walls Of Doubt
15. Props (Vocal Mix)
16. Shedding the Mortal Coil
17. Ghost of the Heart
18. Big Time/Big Deal
19. Alarma (Instrumental)
20. Colored By (Instru.)
21. Alarma Reading by Maclom Wild

07-25-2013 12:29 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

Great list! There's only about one of the "new" songs I haven't heard before but its always cool to hear demos and alternate versions of tracks that made the final album. Nice to have a "Chronicles" reading too. (I am sure that Terry could have done it using his "Pretentious Poetry Readings" voice though!).

The best thing about this project though is that you have got a remix done of the original. I can't wait to hear it.

www.smashthatcomputer.com
07-25-2013 16:51 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Administrator

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

We are actively trying to move through the entire catalog with the Deluxe remasters series. We had to skip past HD unfortunately - although that one is still on the table. Progress is just too slow.

Some of the later albums are going to be hard not only because of obtaining the rights to do them but also because there just isn't a lot of bonus material available. Darn Floor was hard also for the same reason. Doppelganger is going to be a blast.... Vox will be fun also... after that, it gets quite a bit harder. We can probably do some fun stuff for Kalhoun if we can get the rights.

I might be remembering wrong, but I'm thinking it was Fearful Symmetry that caused the discs to be split weird. I seem to recall the Frontline folks having a problem with FS being on a single disc by itself. At least that's the story we were told - as best as I can remember it. That seems like a lifetime ago.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-26-2013 18:13 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
brother joel brother joel is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-297.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2007

I will probably have to wait until finances are a little healthier before I can justify this purchase. I do have three versions of Alarma already and my wife my look at me funny if I get a forth. Not that it won't happen, it just might take some time. I am very interested in hearing the other versions of the tracks as well as the newly remastered of the actual release. Thanks again for making it possible for us fans to grasp unto all the material that this amazing group of guys produced!

Before my heart drowns
Before the hammer pounds
Before the laughter consumes
Before the reaper looms
Before the land swallows
Before I enter the gallows
07-26-2013 18:20 brother joel is offline Search for Posts by brother joel Add brother joel to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
Some of the later albums are going to be hard not only because of obtaining the rights to do them but also because there just isn't a lot of bonus material available. Darn Floor was hard also for the same reason.

In each instance, I for one will be happy to pony up for a bonus disc consisting of little more than Uncle Terry pontificating on each album's material, perhaps occasionally punctuated by acoustic solo renderings of the songs which hold the greatest meaning for him personally. I don't presume to speak for everyone here, but I'm sure I can get an 'amen' or two, yes?
07-27-2013 00:01 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
voxrob
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-02-2003

Bonus material Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Deluxe packages and retrospectives vary among other bands, depending on the types of material they have available. Springsteen seems to have whole, finished , unreleased songs sitting on tapes. Dylan has demos and some unreleased songs. The Beatles had very few unreleased tracks, but they do have studio outtakes. The Pet Sounds Sessions offers yet a different take (they had more space) — vocals-only and instrumental backing tracks — and in that case, which was super for such a special album. But every album can't be treated like that.

The Motor Cycle Tracks CD showed what could be done, at least, with that album. There were several non-vocals versions of songs (although, I think one had the backing vocals but no lead vocals). On the Motorcycle title track (I haven't heard it in awhile) had a demo and an early run-through spliced together with the end of the released version so as to track the development process. That was interesting. Frankly, I thought the extras on that CD were very effective and listenable.
07-31-2013 13:14 voxrob is offline Send an Email to voxrob Search for Posts by voxrob Add voxrob to your Buddy List
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

quote:
Originally posted by audiori

I might be remembering wrong, but I'm thinking it was Fearful Symmetry that caused the discs to be split weird. I seem to recall the Frontline folks having a problem with FS being on a single disc by itself. At least that's the story we were told - as best as I can remember it. That seems like a lifetime ago.

Absolutely correct, we asked the then manager why 4 albums would be on 3 discs and his reply was "that frontline wanted to hold the rights to releasing Fearful Symmetry as a stand alone disc." (Which they have yet to do.) Supposedly they were ok with us combining it with another album or part of another album. Chances are very high though that we may have been given very faulty information at the time because that was pretty typical.

With each album that has been given the deluxe redo, we have had to work with a lot of different people because there is no one giant archive of all the master and multitrack tapes. We hold some, Tom Gulotta has some, some of the band members have some, one fan is storing some, and other people that were associated with the band through various eras have had tapes. In the case of HD, the tapes are split between multiple people. So part of the puzzle in doing a deluxe reissue is to try and track down who has what, sometimes tapes that are supposed to exist can't be found and things the band doesn't remember recording is found. (It would help if it was stored all in one place, and properly, but that will never happen.)

On top of that with the rights to albums changing hands, there can be misunderstandings about who actually owns what. You can have people bootlegging albums the band actually owns, thinking somehow that they are doing them a favor by 'getting it out.' You can have people reissuing things on itunes, with good intentions, that they mistakenly think they own. It can all get complicated quick.

07-31-2013 14:00 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Administrator

I believe the band owns the rights to Vox Humana.

07-26-2013 20:33 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

I'm presuming one day I'll have this, but it will be off in the distance. I've owned the LP, cassette, original Stunt CD and the Alarma bookset at this point, so there are obstacles to reckon.

I'm curious about the response the Dig Here LP has gotten. Is this a direction that looks like it is moving forward, and might we see the BAI releases on LP some day?
07-27-2013 10:25 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Mark Mark is a male

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Are these being mailed out yet?

08-02-2013 18:58 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Administrator

They are beginning to ship now. It actually arrived from the printers a couple of days late... but all is good now.

08-02-2013 19:09 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

OK, great. Someone had this listed on Amazon last week for over $60.

08-02-2013 19:55 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Tyler Durden Tyler Durden is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 04-11-2002
Location: Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is a spiritual war.

Alarma... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I really want to hear what the remastering sound will do for this album. Ordered it first day of release and now waiting.

Thank you to all involved in bringing back the classics in a better form.

Horrendous Disk? Remastered? Soon?
08-04-2013 15:28 Tyler Durden is offline Send an Email to Tyler Durden Search for Posts by Tyler Durden Add Tyler Durden to your Buddy List
Administrator

Still in the running - but no time frame yet. Solid Rock just recently purchased some new equipment that will help us with the entire project, but there's still quite a bit to do I think.

We were hoping to do it before Alarma, but.. it'll have to be a little later I guess.

08-04-2013 16:43 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » DA - ¡Alarma! (Deluxe Edition)

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH