Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Top 5 Dig Here Songs » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Poll: Top 5 Dig Here Songs (Pick 5)
Jesus Wept 18 13.43%
Love, Grace and Mercy 17 12.69%
Waking Up Under Water 16 11.94%
Dig Here Said The Angel 15 11.19%
Now That I've Died 14 10.45%
We'll All Know Soon Enough 13 9.70%
The Uses of Adversity 10 7.46%
The Ruthless Hum of Dread 9 6.72%
Forward In Reverse 9 6.72%
The Sun Shines On Everyone 7 5.22%
Our New Testament Best 6 4.48%
Total: 134 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page Top 5 Dig Here Songs 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think I like it for the same reason Ron has found the Lost Dogs' openers a bit odd; I like the idea of a musical introduction song, something that takes its time getting started and employs a variety of musical textures.

I have nothing against jumping right in with your "London Calling" or "I Love You #19." But I quite like what Terry and Co. have done with albums like MBD, Midget, and now Dig Here.
07-15-2013 16:50 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
brother joel brother joel is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-297.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I am in the minority in really liking "Forward in Reverse." I find it to be a song that declares expectation about heaven and the power of grace in a person's life. It also provides a prophetic call to treat everyone with grace as we await the coming of our Lord. I do think it works as an opening song. It does present itself as a quirkier number, but I find that to be some of why I like it so much.
That being said, it took me a while to choose my top 5 because the entire album ranks up there with my top 5 DA albums of all time. Each song has quickly lept to the top of my most listened to songs on my ipod. Here are my top 5 in no particular order (keep in mind that the other six are also top songs):
Forward in Reverse
Dig Here Said the Angel
Love, Grace, and Mercy
Now That I've Died
Ruthless Hum of Dread

Before my heart drowns
Before the hammer pounds
Before the laughter consumes
Before the reaper looms
Before the land swallows
Before I enter the gallows
07-15-2013 16:54 brother joel is offline Search for Posts by brother joel Add brother joel to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Maybe its introducing the theme...here's what you're about to experience...? I am wondering if its a "firm" theory of album composition for Terry et al, or if its a coincidence, or if I'm just way out to lunch as I usually am...

07-15-2013 18:16 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
Maybe its introducing the theme...here's what you're about to experience...? I am wondering if its a "firm" theory of album composition for Terry et al, or if its a coincidence, or if I'm just way out to lunch as I usually am...

It seems to be a recurring practice which goes all the way back to "Shotgun Angel", of devoting the opening track of an album to a musical and/or lyrical "thesis statement", before launching into the album proper. Certainly the first two Alarma Chronicles albums followed this motif.
07-15-2013 19:08 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

The song is in my top five, I like it because its odd and different. I like it as an opener because I kind of like the album starting out with silence then small and quiet and gentle and then ramping up.

I am not sure if Terry and the band sits down and thinks this is an opener song, I think they just go with how the album feels as a whole. I may be wrong about that, but that's the impression I got.

The first CDR I heard of the album rough mixes had the songs in a different order, with "Dig Here" as the first song. So I thought the album would start with the backward sounds of that song. Then at some point in the process they reshuffled the songs and picked a final order. It seemed like the order wasn't determined until all the songs were almost complete.

07-15-2013 21:58 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

nice discussion and different views - it's going to be fun to get the buzz once the CD is on the racks and see what happens to the poll.

anybody know how many songs were profffered as candidates before they selected this eleven?

Psalm 119:83
07-15-2013 23:46 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

That I don't know. When I went down with my brother to film in the studio, they already had these songs laid out and were working them.

07-16-2013 08:01 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I remember seeing a sheet of lyrics that I didn't recognize... but it may have just morphed into one of the album songs. not sure.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-16-2013 16:08 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

Text Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It took me a while to get the time to listen to my advanced download, but now I've listened start to finish twice. It's a brilliant piece of soul surgery, and I love every song on it. If I'm limited to five, they would be (for now):

Jesus Wept (my favorite I think)
Love, Grace, and Mercy
Waking Up Under Water
The Uses of Adversity
The Sun Shines on Everyone

As always seems to be the case, this Daniel Amos album arrived at the just the right time for me. It has a lot to say about things I've been thinking about for the past year or more. I feel somehow less fragmented and better understood when I listen to it, even if only "here I am."
07-24-2013 14:27 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool Cool
07-24-2013 20:20 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by baxter
Cool Cool

nice shades

07-26-2013 00:48 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Jesus Wept

07-27-2013 09:37 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Tyler Durden Tyler Durden is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 04-11-2002
Location: Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is a spiritual war.

Top 5 after repeated listenings Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I really like the whole album, so this is not a diss on any song.
1. Waking Up Under Water: Lyrics I love:

I closed my eyes and I fell in love
Her kiss was the one I was dreaming of
I close my eyes and she’s there for me

The woman I lost and the child that is forever broken always appear in my dreams as happy and whole, so this song connects in ways I am sure are not accurate, but that is the power and freedom of music.

2. Our New Testament Best

I could’ve gone to war, become a God of Wrath
My fingers snap (Flash!) and baby, you’d be nothing but ash
But I thought better of it

The temptation for getting back at those that have damaged is tempered with the mercy proclaimed in the New Testament. Probably why Christians don't have 2,000 year old grudges that they allow their children to be killed over. Kurt Vonnegut said it like this: "There are plenty of good reasons for fighting, but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God Almighty Himself hates with you, too."

3. Dig Here Said the Angel

“You’re gonna suffer for awhile”
“I’ll tell you straight,” said the angel
“Don’t plan to go out in style”

This is not prosperity gospel being preached here. The devastating truth can be a healing balm against the wishful thinking that distracts from embracing the realities of life. It also reminds me to take the advice of Kurt Vonnegut: "I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'" Enjoy the blessings amidst the hurt and brace for what is coming.

4. We'll All Know Soon Enough

Now we’re thinking that our prayers aren’t answered
‘Cuz when it came the answer was “No”
the same rock we stood on crushed us

I don't like that answer one little bit, my human side says.

5. The Ruthless Hum of Dread
In a pauper’s field of dreams
I’m walking in between open-mouthed graves
Anxious to be fed
And all my buried intentions are groaning for transition

This is a great album. I have other favorite lyrics, such as Terry's delivery of "I'm never cynical, but still a little sarcastic." in Now That I've Died, but the above are my favorite songs for now.
08-04-2013 14:27 Tyler Durden is offline Send an Email to Tyler Durden Search for Posts by Tyler Durden Add Tyler Durden to your Buddy List
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

RE: First Song? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by sondance
Given the ranking for Forward in Reverse in the poll, others may, as I do, think it was not the best choice for the first song. In truth I was very taken back when that song began. By the time they wrapped it up I thought it worthy to be on an album with high expectations, but when it began I was greatly disappointed, thinking it sounded like a rehash on a large scale, particularly of MB's Dream, like getting an appetizer that ruins the anticipation for the main course.
he he, I thought that "forward in reverse" was a MBD lost song definitely sounded as it was left behind for the next album.

quote:
Originally posted by audiori We'll All Know Soon Enough (this song absolutely kills me... Ed kicks burro on the drums... Terry's vocals will tear you apart (as it probably did his throat)... Rob's spooky B3 stuff in the background... Tim's bass rumbling down below... the weird noisy stuff... Greg's perfect guitar part.. the strings towards the end, interrupted by the crashing drums... hearing it in the studio gave me chills... Terry did quite a few takes for the vocals and with each take, his voice would crack or add some little flavor that just sent chills down the spine).
funny this is my favorite song and just out of fun I thought Terry took 1 week of rest before recording it and then voice rehab after... lol, HE definitely did a great job with his voice this album

my other 4 are:

waking up under water
dig here said the angel
love grace and mercy
forward in reverse @Sondance, yep I voted for this one, reminds me of my DA favorite album.........

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
08-08-2013 11:15 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

well "F in R" is holding its own against one i picked: "Sun"

it is interesting to see the variety of favorites.

in spite of these picks i never know which one may snag my sub-conscious next. the song last in the poll had it going just the other day... "we got dressed in our NT best..." on & on.

didn't they do a good job of sinking the hooks? and that is a good thing in this case.

08-08-2013 15:08 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

quote:
Originally posted by sondance
well "F in R" is holding its own against one i picked: "Sun"

it is interesting to see the variety of favorites.

in spite of these picks i never know which one may snag my sub-conscious next. the song last in the poll had it going just the other day... "we got dressed in our NT best..." on & on.

didn't they do a good job of sinking the hooks? and that is a good thing in this case.
yep they did Big Grin , all eleven songs have made the favorites..

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
08-09-2013 08:36 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just got the album yesterday. At this point, I don't know how to respond. I think every song has dazzled me, even with just a cursory listen. Plan to listen deeply tonight. This may be their best ever.
08-13-2013 22:19 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool

Cool
08-14-2013 17:03 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
BeamMeUpScotty BeamMeUpScotty is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 06-25-2013

Cool RE: Top 5 Dig Here Songs Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

1.) Now That I've Died (Rockin' Great tune from the first spin)
2.) Jesus Wept (Also pretty great from the first few listens)
3.) Love Grace & Mercy
4.) Our New Testament Best (Wow! This one has really grown on me. I can't believe I used to forward past this song).
5.) Dig Here Said the Angel
09-07-2013 00:53 BeamMeUpScotty is offline Search for Posts by BeamMeUpScotty Add BeamMeUpScotty to your Buddy List
WoaaahJelly! WoaaahJelly! is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-650.jpg

Registration Date: 06-25-2013

Now That I've Died (excellent)
The Ruthless Hum of Dread (Ed's track teaser from YouTube, I believe)
The Sun Shines On Everyone
Dig Here Said the Angel
Love, Grace, and Mercy

Waitin' for the vinyl! Waitin'!!

Edit- did anyone else get a strong "Zoom Daddy" vibe from some of the tracks? First pass I wasn't too impressed. I thought, "This is just Terry all dark and morose and being obsessed with death again". But I listened closer and realized I have to stop making snap decisions. DA stuff is not superficial. It plays well end-to-end, an "album" album if you will.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by WoaaahJelly!: 09-07-2013 08:31.

09-07-2013 08:23 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Top 5 Dig Here Songs

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH