Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » DA ~ Dig Here Said The Angel (2013) » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (26): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 7 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DA ~ Dig Here Said The Angel (2013) 3 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Doubled!

08-27-2012 18:39 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
brother joel brother joel is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-297.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Are we going to attempt to triple it now? I think that would be a quantifiable goal in the next 9 days. Lets keep getting the word out and playing our DA loud as we travel down the road so that people birth a desire for more DA within them.

Before my heart drowns
Before the hammer pounds
Before the laughter consumes
Before the reaper looms
Before the land swallows
Before I enter the gallows
08-28-2012 11:20 brother joel is offline Search for Posts by brother joel Add brother joel to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

$36,000 would certainly kick start a new album....

08-28-2012 12:25 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

2012 has been very nearly a dream come true for this music fan here. Nearly every musician I really love or have loved has released new music this year (Knopfler, Marillion, and Calexico coming in September?) and seeing DA do so well in this campaign makes it complete.

I wish I could have done more than the small amount I could (which at $50 is actually pretty hefty for me). Still, it means so much to me that this band is once again in some state of certified functionality. I know it means just as much to a lot of folks on the board.

Who knows if this sort of funding proposition will survive or will be considered a fad of the internet age in a few years. It is hard to say. But the response to this particular campaign hopefully says something to each member of the band, both past and present. We really are invested in the group. We want you to stay with us somehow. The CBS'es and Christian labels may be gone, but we still like having you around. Don't be a stranger.
08-30-2012 18:47 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

Well said.

I can't imagine why any DA fan would not be supportive of this campaign - financially or otherwise. Its really a dream-come-true for us.. I would have loved to have something like Kickstarter available years ago. (Although, maybe back then it wouldn't have been accepted by the fanbase).

What a great thing for a band like DA. Like Terry said, its better than being on a label. It has to be one of the best budgets they've ever had for an album.. and it completely belongs to them. Nothing is "owed" to a label or outside financier. No one taking half of the money or sitting on the masters. No one letting the album go out of print or refusing to let the band do anything with it. No weird rules or restrictions. These bands have had very few albums that fit that description. We've always tried to keep DA's as independent as possible, but its very difficult without something like Kickstarter.

Hopefully, they can at least make a few albums like this and get some more touring in through the next few years.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-31-2012 09:27 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
mindgasket mindgasket is a male
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-213.jpg

Registration Date: 06-18-2003
Location: Just because we're hypnotized that don't mean we can't dance!

My memory's not what it used to be, but wasn't Mike Roe something of a pioneer with the "It's For You" album? It was basically a self-done kickstarter album.
08-31-2012 19:55 mindgasket is offline Send an Email to mindgasket Search for Posts by mindgasket Add mindgasket to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Well, preorders are pretty similar. This is just a lot more organized and formulated and everyone can see the goal and if it is met or passed.

We always hated preorders, even though a lot of things would of never happened without them.

08-31-2012 19:58 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Administrator

Yeah, preorders have existed for a long time to fund things like this, but the Kickstarter idea is a fresh approach that kind of relieves a lot of the "issues" that can come up with an old fashioned preorder. You also give people the option of pledging larger or smaller amounts, whereas with preorders everyone is generally just buying the CD early.

And like Jason mentioned, when people can see the goal, you're more likely to hit your target amount all at once. With some of the past preorders, we never hit our goal and had to keep raising money in other ways. Makes it a hundred times harder.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-31-2012 20:50 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

The other aspect of Kickstarter vs. pre-order is that you, as contributor, do have a real investment in it and you can decide at what level that investment is. When you pre-order a disc, that is a great thing too (especially if you are fortunate enough to get your name in the credits as a "producer") but in the end you are buying the CD and, therefore, you're just a little bit removed from feeling you've brought this thing into the world.
08-31-2012 21:15 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ceremonial Kernel

(As much as I loved Holy Ghost Building, maybe all this hoopla will convince Dr. Love to rock a 77's album again soon...stranger t'ings have happened.)
08-31-2012 21:24 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Its also a nice difference to have an uninvolved 3rd party do the adminsitration part. With preorders we had to do that and it is a big headache when you are also trying to do all the other day to day things.

I think this is also way quicker because of the fact that everyone can see the goal and how close we are getting. The preorder thing can drag on and on. So not only is it a headache, its one that seems to be at the time endless.

With kickstarter though its all handled with the software and then the band gets the funds all at once and then its on them to deliver. Where before I think some fans looked at the 'website' as the administrating entity and saw how long it was taking and put us on the hook for it. If you get what I am saying.

In both cases, preorder and kickstarter campaigns.. how long it takes to generate the funds is purely up to the fanbase, the website can supliment with little releases, but ultimately its up to the fanbase. Then how long it takes to deliver the album is purely up to the band.

Before it was my brother and I and other fans that had to try to encourage more and more people to preorder, but now the goal pretty much does that.

Kickstarter allows this scenario to play out with a lot more clarity. The fans generate the money and see the goal, the band gets the money and creates the album and my brother and I will ship it.

Having a date by which all the funds have to be in by and if not the album won't take place is also a good thing. Where before there was no real cut off date, we just took preorder money until there was enough.

09-01-2012 07:08 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Administrator

Three Days to go...

09-03-2012 20:49 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Administrator

http://www.youtu.be/ASWwwQDJA6o

09-04-2012 11:00 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
brother joel brother joel is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-297.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2007

Listening to Mr. Buechner's Dream right now and truly enjoying it. . . makes me long all the more for what is coming next. Thanks everyone who has given to the new DA album and thanks to all those instrumental in organizing this and thanks especially to the band who never disappoint!

Before my heart drowns
Before the hammer pounds
Before the laughter consumes
Before the reaper looms
Before the land swallows
Before I enter the gallows
09-04-2012 11:02 brother joel is offline Search for Posts by brother joel Add brother joel to your Buddy List
Administrator

We just broke the $30,000 mark!

09-05-2012 00:38 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

I couldn't hold out any longer and did my Kickstarter contribution yesterday! Feels good to be part of it...

www.smashthatcomputer.com
09-05-2012 04:38 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
We just broke the $30,000 mark!

Amazing!

09-05-2012 09:21 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Ladies and germs, the anus has dangled.
09-06-2012 18:24 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Administrator

$32,277 shouldn't be too bad of a budget, eh?

09-06-2012 19:26 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Ballpark estimate, what kind of budgets have they (taking into account Eddies & Dogs) been working with and where does this stand in terms of possibilities?
09-06-2012 19:43 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Pages (26): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 7 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » DA ~ Dig Here Said The Angel (2013)

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH