Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » DA ~ Dig Here Said The Angel (2013) » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (26): « first ... « previous 18 19 [20] 21 22 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DA ~ Dig Here Said The Angel (2013) 3 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It's the west coast of the Atlantic.

09-07-2013 18:38 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have one big complaint about DIG here,
I see no one has mention this but in the end
I don't like the digipack use for dig here. The reason for this
is how easily the cd can get scratches. MBD isn't that bad
because the cd is store in a hard plastic just like
a jewel box, but in this case the cd is just in one
carton compartment which I feel will scratch the
cd after multiples in and outs. I have one question
if the cd was done with retroactives? as they used
a different digipack on the Daniel bands last reissues
which also has a hard plastic and it is in between the
mbd and dig here digipacks. Ill upload a photo later
when I get home. What I did was store the cd in a plastic
case.

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
09-11-2013 12:13 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

I still prefer jewel cases myself, Digipacks never fit into any of my CD cases or cabinets. Plus the covers get worn. But I guess if I was worried about scratching the disk.. I would keep it in something else or make a copy of it and play the copy.

09-11-2013 13:42 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

You can buy paper sleeves from Staples, cut off the corners (makes the sliding easier) and use that like an inner bag for the Digipak. The plain truth is that most CD duplication/manufacturers have moved away from packaging with plastic components of any kind. This is just how the industry is right now.
09-11-2013 17:27 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

I have grown to really like digipaks for two reasons.

1) Artwork... I feel like there's a lot more that can be done with a digipak. You can really use every bit of space.

2) Shipping. I hate jewel cases that crack and fall apart in the mail. Digipaks are less expensive to ship and very rarely break. That's huge.

They are more difficult to store as a CD buyer though... I'm always worried they're going to get crushed or something.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
09-11-2013 18:41 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
brother joel brother joel is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-297.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2007

I have a love hate with digipaks. I agree that the artwork is much more impressive, though it really bugs me when artists do not include the lyrics because it requires another pocket. I am glad they don't crack much. . . I just got a stack of cds in for the church that I work for and 4 of them were cracked. They were shipped with some books so my guess is they did not pack enough filler in the box to protect them. On the other hand, I have a Vespers CD in a digipak and it recently got all bent up on the front cover as I was transporting it to work. I have since decided to make sure that all releases in digipak that I may like to listen to at work should be on my ipod.

Before my heart drowns
Before the hammer pounds
Before the laughter consumes
Before the reaper looms
Before the land swallows
Before I enter the gallows
09-11-2013 19:58 brother joel is offline Search for Posts by brother joel Add brother joel to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Yeah there are trade-offs. Good and bad in both.

09-11-2013 21:44 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Any ETA on vinyl? I'm waiting to purchase the double-LP until y'all have it in hand (just a prioritizing of purchases, and I know that vinyl manufacturing takes a long time these days).
09-13-2013 22:16 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Eis
Any ETA on vinyl? I'm waiting to purchase the double-LP until y'all have it in hand (just a prioritizing of purchases, and I know that vinyl manufacturing takes a long time these days).

Yeah - I got my copy of the CD today, and I'm thinking I may just grab me a vinyl copy too, just to better appreciate the artwork! Cool
09-13-2013 23:22 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Administrator

Sounds like it will likely be in November. Vinyl manufacturing takes forever! What a drag. We should have test pressings soon so we can at least report what it sounds like.

I want you guys to know that we went all out for this vinyl edition... It's going to be beautiful. Might be the nicest vinyl set I've seen in a long time once it's done. And wait till you see what we did with the colored vinyl!

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
09-14-2013 00:02 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

One thing that confuses me a little -- the album is short enough that I believe it can spread across a single LP.l Yet the description says it is a 2-LP set. Without giving away any big secrets, how is this album being broken across 4 sides?
09-14-2013 13:31 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
One thing that confuses me a little -- the album is short enough that I believe it can spread across a single LP.l Yet the description says it is a 2-LP set. Without giving away any big secrets, how is this album being broken across 4 sides?

The album is 55 minutes long. With vinyl, generally speaking, it's difficult to go past the 45 minute mark without making sacrifices in sonic quality. (Or, to quote Metallica, we can do it but it would sound like s**t!)
09-14-2013 14:36 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Administrator

Exactly.

09-14-2013 14:39 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
I have grown to really like digipaks for two reasons.

1) Artwork... I feel like there's a lot more that can be done with a digipak. You can really use every bit of space.

2) Shipping. I hate jewel cases that crack and fall apart in the mail. Digipaks are less expensive to ship and very rarely break. That's huge.

They are more difficult to store as a CD buyer though... I'm always worried they're going to get crushed or something.

I think the only thing I like about a digipak is that to some extent it resembles
a mini vinyl which I think is a good thing. I would have prefer the one used
for Daniel band.

Shipping; well if its well protected it shouldn't break but the thing is
you can easily replace the jewel case and everything is OK. But my
DHSTA is marked and a bent corner because of the plastic wrap. You cannot
repair that Crying .

Another good thing I can point is that it fits on my case logic contrary to "old angel" and "burning like the midnight fire" which I have to store in a big case where I store boxsets.

@DwDunphy , funny that the paper sleeve fits perfectly on 'old angel" , but
for DHSTA I left the cd outside.

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
09-15-2013 16:38 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Thanks for the info on the vinyl. Sounds like a potential Christmas present...
09-17-2013 19:49 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
memo
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 07-18-2006

I can't speak for the band's decision on the cd wallet design used here, but having worked with other musicians / bands, I can tell you that digipaks are much more beloved for a few big reasons:

1) Aesthetically, they make the album much more of an art object (the way records were back in the day) compared to the "one size fits all" mentality of jewel cases, which are ugly, clunky, and brittle. You just can't compare the two from that point of view.

2) Environmentally, they a lot less wasteful. Just look at all that plastic you're not manufacturing and shipping all over the place.

3) Economically, they cost less to make. If you're an indie band paying for your manufacturing, you have to balance packaging with cost. Every time I've worked with a band on an album design, we always dream big at the start and then have to scale down when we do the math. The "cd wallet" design on Dig Here is a popular choice because it offers inside artwork and a booklet without any extra plastic and bulk. So you pay less per unit, get some nice real estate to design a nice package around, and can fit a ton of copies into a box, which cuts down on shipping charges.

It's true that the cd runs more of a risk of getting scratched, but if you're careful, you should be okay. It's a compromise, but unless you're a big time rock star, money is always a consideration!
09-19-2013 21:06 memo is offline Search for Posts by memo Add memo to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

posted a reply and it got lost in the mother of all modems... happens again I'm canceling my subscription to the internet.

Paul Simon used a digipak for So Beautiful, same as DA's.
Speaking of Dig Here... is it too much to hope this will be getting some significant airplay aka national attention someplace soon?

Is there anything we can do to help that happen?

Psalm 119:83
09-19-2013 21:20 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Administrator

We are sending CDs to media outlets and radio right now. You can always suggest radio stations and/or contact them and request a song from Dig Here.

We're going to be pushing it as hard as we can. So far, the media reviews have been great.

09-19-2013 21:36 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by memo

2) Environmentally, they a lot less wasteful. Just look at all that plastic you're not manufacturing and shipping all over the place.

It's true that the cd runs more of a risk of getting scratched, but if you're careful, you should be okay. It's a compromise, but unless you're a big time rock star, money is always a consideration!

when there's a will, there's a way

This are eco-friendly digipaks made out of egg carton and sugar cane
and seem to protect the cd better than just plain carton. When
you invest on the cd my thought is that is should be protected
even if the digipak should contain plastic imho. There needs to
be a balance between good looking , and protection. "but if im careful",
yes my cd is out of the digipak and it might stay out. Crying

http://www.newcyberian.com/eco-friendly-digipak.html

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by pegotico: 09-19-2013 22:34.

09-19-2013 22:30 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
We are sending CDs to media outlets and radio right now. You can always suggest radio stations and/or contact them and request a song from Dig Here.

We're going to be pushing it as hard as we can. So far, the media reviews have been great.

Is there a particular song we should push? I assume one song should create buzz over and above, the album as a whole? Is there a strategy? I know nothing about marketing a cd. Did you ever hear back from the radio station I sent info on? Is it available to listen to online besides at Spotify? Even a preview?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ron E: 09-20-2013 09:55.

09-20-2013 09:42 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Pages (26): « first ... « previous 18 19 [20] 21 22 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » DA ~ Dig Here Said The Angel (2013)

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH