Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Darn Floor is #77???!!! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Darn Floor is #77???!!!
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 Darn Floor is #77???!!! dennis 12-10-2011 13:03
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! dennis 12-10-2011 13:10
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! audiori 12-10-2011 13:25
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! dennis 12-10-2011 13:55
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! joey 12-10-2011 14:28
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! dennis 12-10-2011 13:56
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! audiori 12-10-2011 14:52
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! dennis 12-10-2011 15:08
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! BigDork 12-28-2011 09:10
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! Ron E 01-09-2012 00:33
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! brother joel 01-09-2012 10:54
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! dennis 12-10-2011 14:54
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! Ron E 12-10-2011 22:26
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! dennis 12-11-2011 10:17
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! Ritchie_az 12-11-2011 11:31
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! Ritchie_az 12-11-2011 11:34
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! dennis 12-11-2011 12:21
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! dennis 12-11-2011 12:28
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! dennis 12-11-2011 12:33
 RE: Darn Floor is #77???!!! dennis 12-11-2011 12:36
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Darn Floor is #77???!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

DARN FLOOR, BIG BITE (1987)

Daniel Amos (Da)

The famous gorilla Koko was trained to speak in sign language on a limited basis, After experiencing an earthquake the gorilla signed the words, “Darn Floor – Big Bite” to describe the incident. The gorilla’s limited expressions and inability to fully communicate the response is compared to man’s inability to express the wonders of God and the way life is lived with its many facets and expressions on one of Daniel Amos’ most constantly impressive albums of the same name.

After finally completing the four album tour de force known as the “Alarma Chronicles,” (on four separate labels mind you), the band released its second album for Frontline Records. Now without keyboardist Rob Watson and featuring an increase involvement of the ever impressive Greg Flesch, the album was less atmospheric and surreal and more earthy and rock driven. It is a brilliant, rather accessible and stunning album that would remain one of the least successful projects in the band’s history.

(Well, they did use the word “darn” in the title, so what did they expect?)

I almost dread reviewing anything Terry Taylor does, especially what is found under the moniker Daniel Amos for fear of fans decrying a lack of understanding on my part as to what the band and Terry were attempting to create. Quite frankly a quick perusing of Daniel Amos websites and chat boards reveal that the only acceptable Christian Music Top 10 would look something like this:

1. Alarma – Daniel Amos

2. Horrendous Disc – Daniel Amos

3. Mr. Beuchner’s dream – Daniel Amos

4. Outdoor Elvis – The Swirling Eddies

5. Bibleland – Daniel Amos

6. A Briefing for the Ascent – Terry Taylor

7. Shotgun Angel – Daniel Amos

8. Doppelganger – Daniel Amos

9. Let’s Spin – The Swirling Eddies

10. Fearful Symmetry – Daniel Amos

and so on…

There is no fan base in Christian music that comes anywhere close to the passion and obsession that accompanies the fans of this amazing band. Myopic and intolerant of dissent, they know more about every little release Taylor and Co. have even been involved with and to speak with any authority on the subject without prior approval and the express written consent of Major League baseball is strictly prohibited.

So, walk softly and carry a very approving stick!

The other problem is that, quite often, I have no idea what a song may be about. Taylor may be one of the best read songwriters in CCM (or anywhere for that matter) and his references to obscure writers and events can leave a puzzled look on many a face. That’s not a Taylor problem, but rather a listener problem; but it also can cause some severe confusion on the listener’s part.

But despite the limited success of the album and it, sometimes, obscure content, it remains one of the best of the band’s career and has a cool freshness even as I listen over and over to it in writing this review.

As mentioned previously, the guitar makes a pleasant and obvious return with the departure of Rob Watson and Greg Flesch’s significantly increased contribution. This is immediately evident with “Return of the Beat Menace.” Jerry Chamberlain possessed a quirky and unique style why Flesch employs a wider and more diverse musical palette. Here we see some of the old Chamberlain influenced touches with a the off-center solo, but with Flesch’s more crunchy/post punk rhythm style. This combination works well as Flesch displays a depth of new guitar sounds while not completely eliminating the signature sound that band had been known for.

I should point here that the drums sounds are “louder” and more “up front” than on many DA albums. I would also think it is time to note that all but one song was written by Taylor, Chandler and Flesch musically. This creates a much more “band” feel.

“Strange Animals” continue with the more rock driven sound, focusing on melody and rhythm over atmosphere. The complexity of trying to describe the nature of God is a common theme and introduced here. The difficulty lies in the transcendent nature of those things of which we are not a member of the species. How can man adequately describe, in essence, that which he is not privy to the thoughts, presence and soul of?

The theme takes on a much clearer reality on the title track. Like the gorilla’s story by which the song receives its name, man is at an utter loss to adequately describe God. Attempts are futile and the best we can hope for is a limited and vague understanding. Of course, Taylor puts it in a much more dramatic and stunning context. The Talking Heads like groove drives the song with a funky cool swing that is, at times, reminiscent of the music on Vox Humana.

The softer and more ethereal “Earth Household” sounds the closest to “Fear Symmetry” as any song on the album. More keyboard focused, while a bit lighter and more positive than the previous release. Taylor has never been an artists who is afraid to address the sheer mystery of God and admit the reality is filled with unknowing.

Wall of Voodoo and Guadalcanal Diary are two of the great unheralded bands of the early and mid-80′s (along with the previously discussed Violent Femmes) and with “Safety Net” there are touches of all three. A nearly cowboy driven beat mixed with descant guitar rhythms and Taylor’s most edgy vocals on the album. Grace is a scary thing when one plays with their sin in careless ways.

12-10-2011 13:03 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thread Starter Thread Started by dennis
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

“Pictures of the Gone World” actually sounds like a song left off of Alarma or Doppelganger. The verse structure harkens back to those two albums with its quirky, pop punk delivery with a hook oriented chorus and wild, off-key (almost) guitar solo.

Digging even deeper to a musical influence, “Divine Instant” reminds the listener of the Beach Boys and Beatles influences first really delivered on Horrendous Disc. The Polynesian rhythm of the verse structure shifts to a much more 60′s influenced rock chorus.

Ok, so just how many artists in CCM could write a song with the title, “Half Light, Epoch and Phase?” Borrowing from 1 Corinthians 13, the theme of attempting to understand the mysterious and unfathomable nature of God is continued. here we see through a glass darkly and only have “cracks in the floor.” The admitted struggle between doubt and faith are juxtaposed against a resolve to allow faith to continue without demanding God explain everything.

“The Uttainable Earth” musically points to the direction the band would take over the next several albums. Thinking man’s rock with strong melody and piercing focus. This song always reminds me of T-Rex and later Rick Altizer.

The album closes with a three and half-minute song that could have lasted twice that length. The beautiful and melodic worshipful tune is what great music is meant to be. A choir featuring everyone who ever dropped by the Green Room studio and an unforgettable melody. There is a touch of Taylor’s first two solo projects to be found here. A stunning song of grace and hope, it is the perfect ending to the album.

It is really a shame that this album never received the attention and recognition it deserved. Some of Taylor’s finest band oriented music is lost to all too many. But, this too is a common theme!

12-10-2011 13:10 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hehe... whats this from?

Last I checked, we talk about an awful lot of music on these boards..

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
12-10-2011 13:25 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Sad Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

that 500 ccm list.

yeah my favorite part.

"There is no fan base in music that comes anywhere close to the passion and obsession that accompanies the fans of this amazing band. Myopic and intolerant of dissent, they know more about every little release Taylor and Co. have even been involved with and to speak with any authority on the subject without prior approval and the express written consent of Major League baseball is strictly prohibited."

12-10-2011 13:55 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
that 500 ccm list.

yeah my favorite part.

"There is no fan base in music that comes anywhere close to the passion and obsession that accompanies the fans of this amazing band...."

true that...

Cool
12-10-2011 14:28 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

http://ccms500bestalbums.wordpress.com/2...daniel-amos-da/

12-10-2011 13:56 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Ahh ok.

I would say its a very rare thing for a band to have fans like DA fans. I don't see the same passion even with other bands from the same musical world. To me, its more comparible to the Beach Boys, the Beatles or Rolling Stones type of fan... not in quantity of course, but in interest and obsession. There aren't many "CCM" related fans that would actually be interested in session notes or out-takes of their favorite CCM artist for example. Big Grin

(BTW - I misread that one line about a DA fans top ten.. for some reason I thought it said that was the only acceptable top ten list. Period. As in "All music." I missed the part about "CCM" - although I still think many of us would include Mark Heard, Adam Again, the 77s, The Choir, Rich Mullins or a few others in our top tens)

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
12-10-2011 14:52 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
Ahh ok.

I would say its a very rare thing for a band to have fans like DA fans. I don't see the same passion even with other bands from the same musical world. To me, its more comparible to the Beach Boys, the Beatles or Rolling Stones type of fan... not in quantity of course, but in interest and obsession. There aren't many "CCM" related fans that would actually be interested in session notes or out-takes of their favorite CCM artist for example. Big Grin

(BTW - I misread that one line about a DA fans top ten.. for some reason I thought it said that was the only acceptable top ten list. Period. As in "All music." I missed the part about "CCM" - although I still think many of us would include Mark Heard, Adam Again, the 77s, The Choir, Rich Mullins or a few others in our top tens)

I agree with that top ten list.

Pleased

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 12-10-2011 15:25.

12-10-2011 15:08 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

quote:
Ahh ok.

these fans might disagree with you... Tongue

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/five...-album?ref=live

12-28-2011 09:10 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by BigDork
quote:
Ahh ok.

these fans might disagree with you... Tongue

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/five...-album?ref=live

Wow, that was quite a kickstarter page, and over four times what they wanted to have brought in...that's awesome...if only they could have pledged twenty or thirty of that to DA to get theirs done too...would have saved a bunch of us a bunch of dough later!

01-09-2012 00:33 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
brother joel brother joel is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-297.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2007

I happen to be a fan of both DA and FIF, for very different reasons. . . no, I did not contribute to FIFs page as once I heard about it they had more than plenty. . . besides, I am holding all of my pennies to contribute to DA's page and my family thinks its a vacation fund.

I did meet the guys and girl from FIF once in 1997. Perhaps I could remind them of how I helped them with their gear at that show and they could be persuaded to transfer some of their abundant funds to the DA cause. Perhaps. . .

Before my heart drowns
Before the hammer pounds
Before the laughter consumes
Before the reaper looms
Before the land swallows
Before I enter the gallows
01-09-2012 10:54 brother joel is offline Search for Posts by brother joel Add brother joel to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

heck ya...

12-10-2011 14:54 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Hard to make a top ten list when no one else even made an album did they? I keep hearing people talk about "Revolver", but I've never seen it anywhere Wink

12-10-2011 22:26 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
Hard to make a top ten list when no one else even made an album did they? I keep hearing people talk about "Revolver", but I've never seen it anywhere Wink

???

12-11-2011 10:17 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

#77? How is it not in the Top 5?

I'll have to look it up, but if Amy Grant or Smitty are ranked higher, I might throw up a little in my mouth.

Still, they said some good things about DA. That's a lot better than being ignored altogether....

12-11-2011 11:31 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Alarma is #7....

Seems like they're doing a decent job with this list.

12-11-2011 11:34 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

yeah as far as lists like this go, its much better than most.

12-11-2011 12:21 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

http://www.google.com/search?sclient=mob...+500+ccm+&btnG=

12-11-2011 12:28 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

http://ccms500bestalbums.wordpress.com/2...wirling-eddies/

12-11-2011 12:33 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

http://ccms500bestalbums.wordpress.com/2...utes-lost-dogs/

12-11-2011 12:36 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Darn Floor is #77???!!!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH