Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » New DA » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (10): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page New DA 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah after looking at Steve Taylor's movie kickstarter page we thought it might be perfect for a DA album. Seeing the funds creep up and how far from the goal we are at any given point in real time is pretty neat. If it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't.

10-27-2010 15:17 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Just a personal opinion, but I don't think this will be a repeat of the Rev.EDT situation. This is probably going to be a much more streamlined affair.
10-27-2010 15:18 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Well the good thing is as my brother said, until the goal is reached no money changes hands, so there is no being on the hook to produce something while still not having the complete budget.

10-27-2010 15:20 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
Yeah after looking at Steve Taylor's movie kickstarter page we thought it might be perfect for a DA album. Seeing the funds creep up and how far from the goal we are at any given point in real time is pretty neat. If it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't.

wow!! The nice part is there is no pressure for you guys. Also maybe more ppl will help as it will be more public.

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by pegotico: 10-27-2010 16:12.

10-27-2010 16:11 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

By having the count happen in the hands of a third party, and by having the ability to show the money growing in a transparent manner, a lot of camps get a lot of benefits.
10-27-2010 18:18 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Administrator

Too bad there are camps, but I can guarantee that both Terry and Mike have the ability to look at the website accounts in case anyone is still insinuating otherwise. We gave them both logins to the online banking years ago, and we do accounting for them as they wish.

The good thing about this system is that there is a built in goal meter and no one is on the hook until the entire budget is realized. Everything else is pretty much exactly the same, ie; all the money goes to Terry.

10-27-2010 21:40 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Its a little crazy that a "third party" makes a difference to anyone, but ok... the money goes to the same place either way and theres zero doubt about that with anyone that actually knows anything.

I think being able to see the progress will help a lot. I think that was the biggest issue with Midget.... since we didn't get enough at the start, there wasn't a lot of progress early on. People assumed that meant it was going nowhere... even though the reality was we just needed more cash coming in. In a situation like this, people will be able to see that we need more cash.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
10-27-2010 21:41 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
In a situation like this, people will be able to see that we need more cash.

yep, one of the hardest thing is asking for money

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
10-27-2010 21:46 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Pfiagra
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-137.jpg

Registration Date: 04-26-2002

RE: New DA Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This isn't going to be like the New Monkees, is it?

(cause if so, I'm ALL IN!)

10-27-2010 23:10 Pfiagra is offline Send an Email to Pfiagra Search for Posts by Pfiagra Add Pfiagra to your Buddy List
Administrator

I do know Terry doesn't like to use the Daniel Amos name without it actually being what he considers Daniel Amos, that's why his tour and a lot of appearances at Cornerstone were labeled "Terry and Friends." Its also not like the Eddies which since the 90s has been intended to be a changing conglomerate of people;

Harvest Rock Syndicate Interview Part III, 1991
HRS: Will there ever be another Swirling Eddies record?
Taylor: Absolutely, but what we're talking about is opening the Eddies up to even more artists, sort of make the Eddies this conglomerate of different people that I've always wanted to work with, and have a lot of song-writing teams involved and different lead singers. Just make it this mass of people, that sort of fluctuates and changes.

10-28-2010 05:42 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Its a little crazy that a "third party" makes a difference to anyone, but ok... the money goes to the same place either way and there's zero doubt about that with anyone that actually knows anything.

You know it makes no difference to me, I've been in before and I'm in again, but there are folks that have put a premium on that aspect and, frankly, if it gets them to contribute to this new CD, all the better.
10-28-2010 07:20 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Thread Starter Thread Started by Eis
RE: New DA Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
Originally posted by Eis
Hooray! Happy

I just started a thread just like this and posted "Hooray!"

Happy

Great DA/Starflyer/Vinyl fans think alike! Cool
10-28-2010 08:02 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Not to sound like I'm prying for details, but since it was brought up that Terry feels DA is a very specific thing, can we be fairly confident that the line-up is Taylor, Flesch, Chandler & McTaggart?
10-28-2010 11:33 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

and chamberlain? Happy
i can hope, right? Wink

Cool
10-28-2010 12:59 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
Not to sound like I'm prying for details, but since it was brought up that Terry feels DA is a very specific thing, can we be fairly confident that the line-up is Taylor, Flesch, Chandler & McTaggart?

Jerry Chamberlain and Rob Watson have been members of DA as well, so its hard to say exactly what Terry might put together. There was even talk for a while about doing something with the original line-up, but I doubt thats what Terry is thinking of right now. I could see a Taylor, Chamberlain, Chandler and McTaggert line-up as a possibility if say Greg was unavailable. Terry might not even know yet.

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
quote:
Its a little crazy that a "third party" makes a difference to anyone, but ok... the money goes to the same place either way and there's zero doubt about that with anyone that actually knows anything.

You know it makes no difference to me, I've been in before and I'm in again, but there are folks that have put a premium on that aspect and, frankly, if it gets them to contribute to this new CD, all the better.

I guess whatever floats their boat, but its plain silly. My brother and I have been doing this for over 10 years and almost the entire time for free. The bands get basically 100% of what comes in from the websites. Its their money, we just volunteer to do this stuff so they don't have to. Believe me, if there was any question to our integrity Mike and Terry would not still be working with us. Now a third party often takes a cut, I don't know off hand if this website (Kickstarter) we are thinking of using does or not, but they may.

10-28-2010 13:51 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Your efforts are definitely appreciated. The hard fact is that without you guys, and Jeffrey K. at Lo-Fidelity, I don't think Terry and Mike would have been able to continue on this scale after all the labels started contracting. It's tough to think a fundraising effort is even necessary to make things happen, but it is and that's the world we live in now I guess.
10-28-2010 14:50 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
but there are folks that have put a premium on that aspect and, frankly, if it gets them to contribute to this new CD, all the better.

People that say that kind of thing (or imply it, or hint at it) are part of the problem. They should be told so.

The majority of the fan base spends its energy enjoying the music, going to shows, praying for the guys, promoting their music, supporting the guys financially through the websites and tours. You have to be wonder about any "fan" that spends their time doing anything counterproductive to those efforts.

----------

Been talking to Kickstarter... apparently you have to sell them on the overall idea before they let you set up a fundraising project. They like the idea, but we're still discussing it. Should have some definite information soon.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
10-28-2010 15:16 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Eis
quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
Originally posted by Eis
Hooray! Happy

I just started a thread just like this and posted "Hooray!"

Happy

Great DA/Starflyer/Vinyl fans think alike! Cool

Heck ya!!!

10-28-2010 16:02 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Thread Starter Thread Started by Eis

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
I don't know off hand if this website (Kickstarter) we are thinking of using does or not, but they may.

They do take a cut. 5% according to the FAQ on their website.
10-28-2010 16:20 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Kickstarter will get a percentage. A small one, but a percentage nonetheless. It comes down to numbers - What are the best numbers DA has logged for albums, what's the size of their fanbase, how many hits does the website attract daily, what's the band's reach across the world, etc. I have no doubt you can produce the numbers that satisfy their criteria.

Steve Taylor has not produced an album of his own in decades, "Blue Like Jazz" will be his second film, but outside of a select number, who can name the first film? I guarantee he was able to find a quantitative way of expressing potential fans/financial commitments, making the project look like a viable investment. I think you can easily do the same.

The first step will be to reach out to friends of the band, other bands, sites that have appreciation for DA, ask them to be counted and possibly add a New DA Music widget to their pages, and by proving the validity of the investment, Kickstarter will go for it. I honestly believe that.
10-28-2010 16:36 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Pages (10): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » New DA

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH