Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » DA - Mr. Buechner's Dream » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DA - Mr. Buechner's Dream
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 DA - Mr. Buechner's Dream pegotico 10-26-2009 18:44
 RE: DA - Mr. Buechner's Dream Ritchie_az 10-26-2009 18:59
 RE: DA - Mr. Buechner's Dream audiori 09-06-2010 22:14
 RE: DA - Mr. Buechner's Dream pegotico 09-09-2010 12:32
 RE: DA - Mr. Buechner's Dream Ron E 08-02-2014 14:43
 RE: DA - Mr. Buechner's Dream audiori 08-02-2014 15:34
 RE: DA - Mr. Buechner's Dream audiori 08-02-2014 15:38
 RE: DA - Mr. Buechner's Dream Ron E 08-02-2014 16:21
 RE: DA - Mr. Buechner's Dream Ron E 08-02-2014 16:26

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

DA - Mr. Buechner's Dream Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

sorry i had to erase the first review as after putting it I realize it was already posted

found this review on amazon by unknown author but its worth reading it!!

In order for an allusion (a deliberate reference within a piece of writing) to work, it must be clever enough for those "in the know" to appreciate but not distracting enough to block the enjoyment of those who simply don't "get" the connection. Legendary song-writer Terry Scott Taylor and his recently reenergized band Daniel Amos teeter bravely on the edge of an allusive fence with their latest release, an impressive 33-song, double-disc set, Mr. Buechner's Dream.

After producing more than 15 albums over 25 years, and after a seven-year absence, many may have concluded that Daniel Amos reached the point where they had no more to say, no more to add to an already remarkable career. But the boys are back, and they are as ingenious as ever.

Taylor, a true wordsmith, seems to be surfing at the crest of his wit with the endless string of head-nodding, laugh-to-yourself lyrics penned for this latest project (check out the line, "She's a bad dream / Like an adams apple / On a beauty queen" from "She's a Hard Drink"); however, at first listen, some (especially younger) listeners who are unfamiliar with DA's eccentric melodies and literary lyrics might wrinkle their forehead and shrug off the music as that generated by a bunch of "old guys." The added complication of centering the songs around Mr. Buechner--an actual Pulitzer Prize nominated author and Presbyterian minister, yet unknown to many--could serve to deter many from giving Mr. Buechner's Dream a chance. Taylor himself recognizes that Daniel Amos' music may not be instantly accessible to all. In "This Skin," he pleads his case: "I'm dreaming in and breathing in / The metaphoric air / Designed to get your faith in motion / Or this could grow on you (my friend) / Might not knock you down / Or drag you in / But it's a place I can begin / To get under your antenna and your / Thick skin."

With touching ballads ("My Beautiful Martyr"), striking musical experiments ("Rice Paper Wings"), and well-crafted songs reminiscent of The Beatles ("The Staggering Gods"), Rolling Stones ("Fingertips" and the Beach Boys ("I Get To Wondering"), Mr. Buechner's Dream is an uninterrupted string of radiant rock consciousness. The inclusion of brilliant Bible-based tales--"Joel (from Joel, Chapter 2)," "Pretty Little Lies (A Song of Eve)," "Pregnant Pause (A Song for Abraham and Sarah)," "Steal Away (A Song of the Flood)," "Over Her Shoulder (A Song for Lot's Wife," "A Little Grace (A Song of Job),"--pushes this generous offering of songs from Daniel Amos into the "Instant Classic" category.

For an inexperienced Daniel Amos listener, trust Terry Scott Taylor when he sings, "This Is The One."

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by pegotico: 10-26-2009 19:03.

10-26-2009 18:44 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"you get more music for your money on Mr. Buechner's Dream than your usual WoW compilation."

That's like saying: "USDA Select Prime Rib tastes better than your usual 70/30 Food City-brand ground beef."

Edit: The above was in response to the first review that was later taken down.

Thanks for sharing, pegotico. Cool

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ritchie_az: 10-26-2009 19:06.

10-26-2009 18:59 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This one needs some reviews also...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/mr-buec...eam/id391405783

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
09-06-2010 22:14 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

Thread Starter Thread Started by pegotico

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
This one needs some reviews also...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/mr-buec...eam/id391405783

done Big Grin

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
09-09-2010 12:32 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

I just read on ebay that there was a re-release of this on Retroactive Records...what's that and was that announced? It says its updated, etc.

08-02-2014 14:43 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Administrator

Yes, this was a joint release through Retroactive and Stunt and came out for the DA tour back in 2011. It was overshadowed a bit by the Deluxe Shotgun Angel. The digipak reissue of the first album came out then as well.

The Deluxe Buechner's includes "Nowhere is Someplace" and an expanded booklet with complete lyrics.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-02-2014 15:34 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Administrator

Ron... you actually helped with it in the following thread...

Buechners Help

.. and your name is even in the credits.

http://www.danielamos.com/da/mrbuechnersdream/

I also sent a copy your way. Did you not receive it?

08-02-2014 15:38 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

um...no! Smile and I've forgotten apparently!

08-02-2014 16:21 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

Now I remember doing that. That was fun to reminisce on. maybe when I order something else, I can remind you and you can throw it in then. No hurry and no harm.

08-02-2014 16:26 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » DA - Mr. Buechner's Dream

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH