Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » What were your first... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page What were your first...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
DrDanAmos DrDanAmos is a male
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-628.gif

Registration Date: 09-06-2003

What were your first... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

What were your first albums you bought that got you into DA and/or Mike Roe/the 77's? (I realize this is a DA message board, but fans often listen to both and I discovered both around the same time.)

First Daniel Amos CD: Preachers from Outer Space

First 77's CD: Echos of Faith.

(I bought both from Rad Rockers and bought them blind based solely on the description in the catalog. I decided to start with those because they seemed to be different from the norm and because of the limited availability.)

First Swirling Eddies CD (which I did NOT know their ties to Terry Taylor and the gang): Sacred Cows

And...just to add since it's relatable...first Choir CD: Love Songs and Prayers

First Adam Again CD: Homegrown

First Lost Dogs CD: The Green Room Serenade Part One

EDIT: How could I forget these?

Terry Scott Taylor: A Briefing For the Ascent

Mike Roe: Safe as Milk (12 song version, which seemed to be harder to come by when I purchased it, but now it seems to be the standard version.)

And, of course, Steve Hindalong's Skinny

upload photos to paste code

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by DrDanAmos: 08-01-2009 14:37.

08-01-2009 11:51 DrDanAmos is offline Send an Email to DrDanAmos Search for Posts by DrDanAmos Add DrDanAmos to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

First DA: Preachers from Outer Space

First 77's: Sticks and Stones

First Choir (well, it was Youth Choir): Voices In Shadows/Shades of Grey (they were on one CD).

First (and sadly, only) Adam Again: Homeboys

First SE...well, I purchased Meat The Farm Beatles, and didn't know what the heck I got, and, regrettably, sold it (how foolish I was!), but otherwise: The Midget, The Speck and The Molecule.

First Lost Dogs: Real Men Cry

First Terry Taylor: John Wayne

First Steve Hindalong (I know, there's only one): Skinny

First Mike Roe: It's For You

Am I missing anything?

08-01-2009 12:20 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Matt K Matt K is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 05-03-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

DA: MBD
LD: Real Men Cry
SE: Berry Vest/Zoom Daddy
77s: Golden Field....
Terry: John Wayne

I should point out that the first time I heard the Choir was on an old Tattoo records sampler that had tracks from "Free Flying Soul". I think the other band/artist on the sampler was Common Children, and Christine Glass.

Also, the very very first Terry Taylor related album I had was (GASP!) The Rap-sures old testament crap. Of course I didn't realize until many many years later the connection. I was quite schocked.
08-01-2009 12:33 Matt K is offline Send an Email to Matt K Homepage of Matt K Search for Posts by Matt K Add Matt K to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Matt K: xxthundrrblt67xx YIM Account Name of Matt K: scrapbrain_409
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

DA: Fearful Symmetry
SE: Outdoor Elvis
Terry: Knowledge and Innocence
LD: Scenic Routes
77's: Tom tom Blues
The Choir: Chase the Kangaroo
Hindalong: skinny
Derri: A few unfinished songs
Mike Roe: The boat ashore

08-01-2009 16:26 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
UnderDawg UnderDawg is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-624.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

RE: What were your first... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

DA: Shotgun Angel
SE: Let's Spin
TT: Knowledge and Innocence
MR: The Boat Ashore
CHOIR: Free Flying Soul
77s: Actually don't own one!
Hindy: Skinny

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by UnderDawg: 08-01-2009 17:50.

08-01-2009 17:50 UnderDawg is offline Search for Posts by UnderDawg Add UnderDawg to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

"77s: Actually don't own one!"

Shocked Confused Shocked

08-01-2009 19:06 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

DA: Motorcycle
SE: Zoom Daddy
TT: Knowledge & Innocence
LD: Little Red Riding Hood
77s: Drowning with Land in Sight
MR: Safe As Milk
Choir: Speckled Bird
AA: Perfecta

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by James: 08-02-2009 23:40.

08-01-2009 20:50 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
UnderDawg UnderDawg is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-624.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Ain't it a shame!?!??!

Ok, which 77s album should I start with? Which one is the best intro to the group?

OH, WAIT!!!!!!!!!!! I just remembered. I BOUGHT "HOLY GHOST BUILDING". So I guess that's my first 77s album. Still, which one would you suggest?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by UnderDawg: 08-01-2009 22:33.

08-01-2009 22:30 UnderDawg is offline Search for Posts by UnderDawg Add UnderDawg to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

da: horrendous disc
77's: ping pong over the abyss
youth choir: voices in the shadows
lost dogs: scenic routes
adam again: in a new world of time
terry taylor: knowledge and innocence

08-01-2009 23:55 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
DrDanAmos DrDanAmos is a male
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-628.gif

Registration Date: 09-06-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by DrDanAmos

quote:
Originally posted by UnderDawg
Ain't it a shame!?!??!

Ok, which 77s album should I start with? Which one is the best intro to the group?

OH, WAIT!!!!!!!!!!! I just remembered. I BOUGHT "HOLY GHOST BUILDING". So I guess that's my first 77s album. Still, which one would you suggest?

I would recommend Sticks and Stones. Trying to get it at a fair price can be difficult...used copies can command a high dollar amount, but you can get a good deal if you shop around.

Drowning with Land in Sight is often said to be a fan favorite, as is Pray Naked. Both are essential classics.

upload photos to paste code
08-02-2009 01:38 DrDanAmos is offline Send an Email to DrDanAmos Search for Posts by DrDanAmos Add DrDanAmos to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

DA: Horrendous disc
Eddies: Let's Spin
77's: Ping Pong (when it was first released)
TST: Knowledge and Innocence
AA: Dig
Choir: Circle Slide
Mike: Safe as Milk

All will be on my playlist over the next few weeks...

www.smashthatcomputer.com
08-02-2009 04:48 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

DA: Horrendous Disc
77s: Ping Pong Over The Abyss
Adam Again: In A New World Of Time
Swirling Eddies: Let's Spin
Choir: Wide-Eyed Wonder
TST: John Wayne
Lost Dogs: Green Room Serenade: Part One
Roe: Safe As Milk (curdled)

08-02-2009 21:27 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
jamespop jamespop is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

DA: Alarma / Doppleganger (bought the lp's for a buck each.)
77's: Pray Naked
Adam Again: 10 Songs by Adam Again
Swirling Eddies: Let's Spin (Although OE was the TST project that first hooked me into the band.)
Choir: Speckled Bird
TST: A Briefing for the Ascent / Knowledge and Innocence
Lost Dogs: Scenic Routes
Mike Roe: Safe as Milk (the Unleaded version)
Hindalong: Skinny
08-03-2009 07:46 jamespop is offline Send an Email to jamespop Search for Posts by jamespop Add jamespop to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

Daniel Amos: Doppleganger
77s: um, none, but I have seen them live, unlike any others on the list.
Adam Again: Homeboys
Swirling Eddies: Let's Spin
(Youth) Choir: Voices in Shadow (wish I still had that LP)
TST: Knowledge and Innocence
Lost Dogs: Scenic Routes
08-03-2009 08:15 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

DA: MBD (It took me a LONG time to get into DA)
77's: Pray Naked
Adam Again: Dig
Swirling Eddies: The Berry Vest of...
Choir: Circle Slide
TST: John Wayne
Lost Dogs: LRRH
Mike Roe: Safe as Milk (the Unleaded version)
Hindalong: Skinny

08-03-2009 10:16 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
brother joel brother joel is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-297.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2007

Well, I went into Insight Christian Bookstore and wanted to buy something. I bought some arena rock cd and then I pawed through the sale bin and picked out "Let's Spin." Being intrigued by the cover because I wanted to be into anything that appeared artsy at the time, I purchased it. Upon driving home I put it in the tape deck and my mom thought someone was screaming nearby because of the opening sequence. Being that I was still heavily into arena rock at the time I only listened to the tape every so often. About a year later I picked up a sampler called wal paper that had "Hole in the World" "Scenic Routes" "Dig" and "Nuts for You" on it. Enjoying all these songs I decided to seek out the albums they were on. I purchased "Dig" and "Motorcycle" at this time. It was not until some time later that I discovered the connection between Daniel Amos and the Swirling Eddies.

SE: Let's Spin
DA: Motorcycle
Adam Again: Dig
The Choir: Speckled Bird
The Lost Dogs: Little Red Riding Hood
77's: ep (even though I knew of the 77s I did not make them a purchasing priority, probably because my brother did and I always listened to his music when I could tolerate it--in our younger years he listened to Vengence Rising and the Lead.)
Terry Scott Taylor: A Briefing for the Ascent
Mike Roe: Safe As Milk
The Rapsures: Loud Proud and Born Again (my mom got it off Amazon this past Christmas as a funny gift)

Before my heart drowns
Before the hammer pounds
Before the laughter consumes
Before the reaper looms
Before the land swallows
Before I enter the gallows
08-03-2009 11:42 brother joel is offline Search for Posts by brother joel Add brother joel to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Hard to remember exactly ... got into Lost Dogs first, after Scenic Routes came out, so some "firsts" for me were after the fact of actual release ...

First purchases:
LD - Scenic Routes cassette
AA - Dig cassette
DA - Motorcycle cassette

Subsequent purchases:
TST - John Wayne CD
Choir - Love Songs and Prayers CD
Eddies - Zoom Daddy CD

can't remember the actual first for sure because i got several about the same time
77s - Tom Tom Blues cassette probably
Mike Roe - Safe As Milk uncurdled CD, It's For You CD or maybe The Boat Ashore CD

got a bunch more stuff when i could get it for reasonable prices.

don't care that much for AA before Dig, although I think I have all their stuff now. too slow and dance-like.

don't care as much for DA new wave stuff but it's OK. like early and later stuff with less keyboards better.

don't care that much for TST solo before John Wayne. again, kinda slow and/or too much keyboards.

currently, i think Mike and 77s are still in fine form, although i long for some original rockin' material again. the rest of the Lost Dogs - related entities are kinda winding down imho.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
08-11-2009 09:51 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Registration Date: 02-14-2003

... ..Wait ...what?

ok, um ..

Lost dogs: The White album
Da: The white album
Beatles: Revolver
The Choir: ...Who?
Mike Stand: "I don't think I'm Bald" (bootleg version)
Mike Roe: ..?
Mike Huckabee: Governor Huckabee Testifies at Health Care Reform HearingSend To A Friend
Mike Shanahan: White Album
Gk: gkk
Mike and Mike
Mike
mike
John Wayne: Terry Taylor
mike

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Berger Roy Al: 08-13-2009 18:15.

08-13-2009 18:03 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

alright, wait just a minute.

berger, you're saying that John Wayne made a solo record called "Terry Taylor"? like, it was a reciprocal thing? wasn't John Wayne passed away by then? and you're saying that John wayne actually played music?...
08-13-2009 18:34 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Registration Date: 02-14-2003

SHUT UP CNHANGGKLERL! YOU DON'T NO!!! YOU HAS NEVER KNOWED KNOW LOGGKK... KNOW LUVGK... YOU ggkkk.... has never knowed no lovve like what Lou Pinella, John Waiyyne and I has never knowed!!!

08-13-2009 18:38 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » What were your first...

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH