Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Would CDs on demand ever be considered? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 7 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Would CDs on demand ever be considered?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

What good does it do him for them to sit there at some label who is holding them hostage for an amount of money that he is likely to NEVER recover?

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

05-28-2009 16:06 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by audiori

How about we approach this from the other direction?

Let's say you made an album owned by another company. Its unavailable. What do you do?

bootleg it, without any guilt whatsoever.

seems we both know an artist who will burn CD-Rs of everything he's ever recorded, don't we now?

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

05-28-2009 16:07 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

But it is all coming back. Its not like flipping a switch, but it is possible. In the last couple of years, we've seen...

- Imaginarium Deluxe *Reissue
- Daniel Amos 30th Anniversary Edition *Reissue
- Darn Floor Big Bite Deluxe *Reissue
- Random Acts and Hodgepodge *Reissue
- All Day Sing and Dinner on the Ground *Reissue
- Miracle Faith Telethon *Reissue
- The Revelation
- The Midget, the Speck and the Molecule
- Instruction Through Film DVD

Thats a lot of releases in a very short time. How many artists can have that many titles released in the same time period?

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
05-28-2009 16:12 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
quote:

How about we approach this from the other direction?

Let's say you made an album owned by another company. Its unavailable. What do you do?

bootleg it, without any guilt whatsoever.

seems we both know an artist who will burn CD-Rs of everything he's ever recorded, don't we now?

The 77s don't have the same legal issues, now do they? When companies like BAI closed down.. the 77s got verbal control of their releases from the current owners. What about DA? Gene sold them to KMG.

Apples and Oranges.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
05-28-2009 16:14 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

quote:
But it is all coming back. Its not like flipping a switch, but it is possible. In the last couple of years, we've seen...

- Imaginarium Deluxe *Reissue
- Daniel Amos 30th Anniversary Edition *Reissue
- Darn Floor Big Bite Deluxe *Reissue
- Random Acts and Hodgepodge *Reissue
- All Day Sing and Dinner on the Ground *Reissue
- Miracle Faith Telethon *Reissue
- The Revelation
- The Midget, the Speck and the Molecule
- Instruction Through Film DVD

Thats a lot of releases in a very short time. How many artists can have that many titles released in the same time period?

how many can? quite a few.

better would be, there's no need to, because it's been available the whole time.

how many of those titles are available right now, if i want to get them from the webstore?

05-28-2009 16:16 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Administrator

All of them.

(with the exception of DA30th, which is coming back)

05-28-2009 16:17 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

looks like you're doing CD-on-demand type things for a lot of them.......

downloads along side that would get more orders in...... if i see i have to wait for it to ship, i'm more likely to just order something else....

05-28-2009 16:18 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

like i said.....

if this is how the band wants to do this, then fine......

i just think it's a flawed model, and there are much better ways to go about it.

05-28-2009 16:20 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

quote:
I believe Arena Rock made their money back on Darn Floor pretty quickly for example. We paid our portion of it from the small number of pre sales we took before it was even released.

Any idea on how well DFBB has done? Has it sold more copies than it did originally?

05-28-2009 16:57 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

I don't think digital downloads are pure profit. Servers and bandwidth aren't paid for simply by the creative imperative.

That said, I wouldn't buy digital downloads if the music were available in some other way. Physical products are much more convenient than having to massage, manage, and migrate computer files. And downloads generally sound pretty bad. There are lossless formats, but the files are gigantic.

I also support having these albums remastered, if it's done well. DFBB was an album I rarely listened to, even though I've had my cassette since it was released. But the reissued version amazed me and I enjoy listening to it and appreciate the music so much more now.
05-29-2009 07:37 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Administrator

I'm not sure what total sales of Darn Floor have been. Its been selling fairly well for us.

05-29-2009 09:11 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

quote:
I believe Arena Rock made their money back on Darn Floor pretty quickly for example.

This bodes well for possibly more reissues from Arena Rock, perhaps?

I certainly hope so!

05-29-2009 10:45 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Administrator

There is a chance that they will be doing at least one more. Nothing to be announced yet, because they could easily still say they don't want it.

05-29-2009 11:14 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

since this thread has more action i will repeat it here:

anybody have any idea how many pre-ordered DA30th Anniversary Edition and got the 3rd disc?

will the 3rd disc be made available again in any format?

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
05-29-2009 15:27 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
since this thread has more action i will repeat it here:

anybody have any idea how many pre-ordered DA30th Anniversary Edition and got the 3rd disc?

will the 3rd disc be made available again in any format?

i got it......that's all that matters....... Big Grin

Cool
05-29-2009 16:13 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

quote:
There is a chance that they will be doing at least one more.

I think we all know what their next reissue should be:

05-29-2009 16:54 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

I think it's funny that some people get upset at what they call "opportunistic" or "price gouging" or whatever when out-of-print or limited-edition items can sell for big $.

The solution is not to print limited things or to make them available via download.

Or don't complain about it when people charge a lot and someone in the market is willing to pay it. When buyer and seller agree to the transaction it is ultimately fair. Smile

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
05-30-2009 09:06 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

I have to agree with you there, MF...

I paid $90US for my cd copy of "Fearful Symmetry" a number of years ago when I was single and could afford to buy from Radrockers!

Well worth it, as my cassette copy was nearly extinct. Here in NZ that is about the only way we can get this sort of thing now. There was an Australian company that stocked a lot of new and s/h stuff but they are now concentrating on metal/thrash type music, not much of which I enjoy.

I will, however, keep supporting the DA store, as at least money gets to Terry and co from what I buy. Even if I am still waiting for some of my order from 15 months ago! (US postal "service")

I'm saving up for the DFBB deluxe edition.

www.smashthatcomputer.com
05-30-2009 16:24 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
DrDanAmos DrDanAmos is a male
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-628.gif

Registration Date: 09-06-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by DrDanAmos

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
I think it's funny that some people get upset at what they call "opportunistic" or "price gouging" or whatever when out-of-print or limited-edition items can sell for big $.

The solution is not to print limited things or to make them available via download.

Or don't complain about it when people charge a lot and someone in the market is willing to pay it. When buyer and seller agree to the transaction it is ultimately fair. Smile

I find it funny that you're still going on about it. If you want to sell your copy, nobody here is stopping you. Sell it for whatever you feel it is worth for you to part with.

I just listed reasons why I don't think it would necessarily necessitate me spending hundreds of dollars to buy your copy in consideration of the reasons I listed.

Do what you think is right, man. Go for it.

upload photos to paste code
05-30-2009 16:35 DrDanAmos is offline Send an Email to DrDanAmos Search for Posts by DrDanAmos Add DrDanAmos to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by wayneb
Even if I am still waiting for some ....

Are you kidding me? I know you're not, but.. geez. Send me a PM with what you're still waiting on. We'll try again.

On selling/buying stuff through ebay or whatever... I don't think anyone has a problem with someone doing it if they want to. I just really hate to see fans spend that kind of money on stuff that will be available again. I can remember hearing from people that bought the first album on Ebay right before it was rereleased. I felt bad for them, but what are you gonna do? It was just bad timing.

I also do not see the point in jacking prices up on something regular. If its a really rare one of a kind piece or something.. fine. But if its a regular album it shouldn't be $200. When it is rereleased, everything there will still be there. I mean its their right to do it, and its fine if someone will pay it.. but I just don't think the sellers should do that to people.

05-30-2009 16:46 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 7 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Would CDs on demand ever be considered?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH