Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Would CDs on demand ever be considered? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Would CDs on demand ever be considered?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
quote:
Originally posted by DrDanAmos
quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
When we made the Deluxe Anniversary Edition of the first DA album we edited more than enough stuff for a second disc, we ended up with 3 discs worth of material. We intended the release to be 2 discs, so we gave away the third disc of extra stuff to those that preordered. Kind of a little bonus to those people that preorder and help make things happen.

I really hope when it looks like it's coming back in stock you offer the third disc again with a new pre order special. I completely missed out on this, and would gladly pay for whatever to get it all.

how much would you REALLY pay for the 3-disc edition? if you have hundred(s) of dollars to line pockets with ... send a PM and i should get it in the next week or so or whenever i get back on here again ... disc 3 is really neat, unique early stuff for the die-hard fan, but be forewarned : it is poor audio quality but not bad considering it mostly came from old tapes never meant to be released.

i wished i had bought extra now, but cest-la-vie! Frown

i just checked ... NO "Daniel Amos" CDs on ebay ...

amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B...43371446&sr=1-7
2 available $85, $180.
and it seems it is only for the 1 disc version! Shocked

so, a 3-disc version should be worth a bit more ... or maybe wait until it is available in the webstore again ...

i guess i will have to figure out how to list this thing so i could get a lot for it ... i can wait a few more years to get another copy ...

anyone can PM me if they are serious about dropping this kind of $ to get one of these RIGHT NOW. i will start thinking about what it would really take and listen to it again tonight. Smile

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
05-26-2009 16:06 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'd hate to see anyone pay too much for a reissue.. they all come back eventually.

When DA30th is back in the store it'll be no more than $20... maybe $15 if we can pull it off.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
05-26-2009 16:15 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
DrDanAmos DrDanAmos is a male
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-628.gif

Registration Date: 09-06-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by DrDanAmos

quote:

amazon:
2 available $85, $180.

so, a 3-disc version should be worth a bit more ... or maybe wait until it is available in the webstore again ...

i guess i will have to figure out how to list this thing so i could get a lot for it ... i can wait a few more years to get another copy ...

anyone can PM me if they are serious about dropping this kind of $ to get one of these RIGHT NOW. i will start thinking about what it would really take and listen to it again tonight. Smile

1) amazon.com sellers USUALLY charge exhorbitant prices and if you base your price base off of that, you will be disappointed.

2) Perhaps the DA self titled 30th Anniversary CD isn't currently available on ebay, but there are other markets online to consider. Alibris? GEMM? GEMM has the original CD for $50.00 in EXCELLENT CONDITION

http://www1.gemm.com/item/AMOS-c-DANIEL/...S/GML889575385/

You might want to see what online stores COLLECTORS would look at before throwing hundreds of dollars at an opportunist like you. You can wait? So can I...for a fair deal. Amazon.com rarely offers fair deals, and I get the feeling yours won't be either.

This type of gouging is all the more reason I would like to see a burn on demand service like Mixonic used to sell CDs of this nature. At least I would know if I spent my money there, it would go back to support the band.

upload photos to paste code
05-26-2009 22:00 DrDanAmos is offline Send an Email to DrDanAmos Search for Posts by DrDanAmos Add DrDanAmos to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
Originally posted by DrDanAmos
quote:

amazon:
2 available $85, $180.

1) amazon.com sellers USUALLY charge exhorbitant prices and if you base your price base off of that, you will be disappointed.

2) Perhaps the DA self titled 30th Anniversary CD isn't currently available on ebay, but there are other markets online to consider. Alibris? GEMM? GEMM has the original CD for $50.00 in EXCELLENT CONDITION

http://www1.gemm.com/item/AMOS-c-DANIEL/...S/GML889575385/

You might want to see what online stores COLLECTORS would look at before throwing hundreds of dollars at an opportunist like you. You can wait? So can I...for a fair deal. Amazon.com rarely offers fair deals, and I get the feeling yours won't be either.

This type of gouging is all the more reason I would like to see a burn on demand service like Mixonic used to sell CDs of this nature. At least I would know if I spent my money there, it would go back to support the
band.

i think i may have bought 1 or 2 things from gemm over the years. $50 for only the 1 CD version still supports a price over $100 for a 3 CD set, imho.

so you really don't have hundreds to drop or money burning a hole in your pocket? oh well, i would seriously sell my 3 CD set but it would take a lot more than $50. it's all supply and demand ...

BTW i'm not exactly greedy either. i did pass on a rare DA cd to someone once for free that was not my favorite ... because someone gave it to me ... but this one i do like and i bought it "fair and square" via this here webstore pre-order process (didn't even get an extra) so i wouldn't feel the least bit guilty selling it for what would normally be a very exhorbitant price and use the proceeds to fund other musical purchases. heck, i might even buy a thing or 2 from the webstore. Smile

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
05-27-2009 12:28 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
DrDanAmos DrDanAmos is a male
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-628.gif

Registration Date: 09-06-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by DrDanAmos

There's supply and demand. And the supply IS coming back in stock on this website, for considerably cheaper than the price gouging you are considering. That should have an effect on your perceived supply and demand.

Also consider that for COLLECTORS first editions of media always commands a higher price on the secondary market over re-releases, even special editions. OOP LPs of original Beatles records, for example, will usually command higher prices than later editions of the same. Just for one example. The supply of the original Maranatha Records version of the Daniel Amos CD is going to command a higher price because it's the first edition, it's a collector's item, and it's NEVER coming back in print again by that record company and in that exact same packaged media.

But if you want to put it up for sale somewhere, that's your choice. I won't fault you or blame you if you think you should get more money for it than the OOP original edition. But I've been collecting for quite a while and I know for every seller asking hundreds of dollars for something they consider rare, there is somebody willing to part with the exact same product for a fairer price. And, like you said, it's going to come back in stock. The people who you are selling this to will realize it and take that into consideration before paying more for this than they would for an original edition that isn't coming back in stock. That's not to say you won't find a buyer...obviously there is a market out there for the uninformed and impulsive.

upload photos to paste code
05-27-2009 21:40 DrDanAmos is offline Send an Email to DrDanAmos Search for Posts by DrDanAmos Add DrDanAmos to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

downloads would keep a lot of this from happening, in the first place.....

i don't give a crap about a shiny disc... i just want the tunes.

if my two choices are:
1. paying $30+ on some resale website
2. finding it on some free download site

guess which one i likely pick?

however, if i had option 3....

3. download from the artist for $15

i would take that option, every time.

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

05-28-2009 10:09 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Administrator

That'd be great if we had digital distribution rights to everything. Either way, generally speaking, whenever any of us can aquire digital distribution rights, downloads would be in addition to regular releases not instead of regular releases. (With the exception of special rarity tracks or something like that). No ones against doing it - I am sure there will be more available in that format eventually. You just don't want to pour $10,000 into obtaining the rights to distribute something and then make $200 on a handful of downloads.

You have to remember that most fans of these guys (that we've had contact with anyway) are older people (not elderly, just "not kids") that prefer physical media over strictly downloads. Thats why bands like the Choir make almost nothing when they offer downloads. Out of all of the email that we receive from folks looking for older albums, I'd say I could probably count the number of people asking for downloads specifically on one hand. Typically, when we do, the request is for Neverhood stuff.

Having said that - our goal is to take away the need to steal. Stuff like Hodgepodge are coming back precisely because the bootleggers are still making money off of it. The downside is, we still have to follow the law - and unfortunately bootleggers don't.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
05-28-2009 10:45 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

the choir is a perfect example.......i've gotten stuff from there....

i could have bought it used, or something, but i chose to buy it from their download site, where pretty much their entire catalog is available.

how many of those people do you e-mail back, and ASK if they would be interested in a downloadable release? maybe they don't ask, because they haven't even thought about it, but if it were suggested, they would be interested.

i've been told by people close to pritzl that he makes good money on his download site.....

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

05-28-2009 11:00 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Administrator

If the Choir is a perfect example, why don't they make good money off of their download site?

No ones saying there isn't something to be made from downloads. Its just not what the average fan is looking for. If, for example, you have to pay $10,000 for digital distribution rights for one album and theres only a handful of people that would care about it... you're going to be hurting. Would they take a download if they were offered? Some probably. Some would take a cassette dubbed off of a home stereo. Based on what information I've seen, I wouldn't think that it would be a large number of people.

I can't speak for Pritzl, or what he considers good money.. either way, it still goes back to what you have the legal rights to do.

05-28-2009 11:09 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

seriously.....$10k?

for an OOP CCM record from 20 years ago?

i know KMG wanted ridiculous money for gene's stuff and all.... but good grief.

perhaps the average fan would change a little, perhaps there would be MORE fans, if the music were actually available for someone to listen to. perhaps not.

the choir is a perfect example, because i have bought downloads from there, instead of buying used, or just downloading from elsewhere.

05-28-2009 12:07 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

quote:
Originally posted by audiori

I can't speak for Pritzl, or what he considers good money.. either way, it still goes back to what you have the legal rights to do.

at the time i had the discussion, he claimed to be making quite a bit. in the $10k per year range.

05-28-2009 12:08 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
seriously.....$10k?
for an OOP CCM record from 20 years ago?
i know KMG wanted ridiculous money for gene's stuff and all.... but good grief.

Oh yeah. There have been labels that wanted as much as $25,000 for reissue rights.

quote:

the choir is a perfect example, because i have bought downloads from there, instead of buying used, or just downloading from elsewhere.

.. and, agian, why aren't they making a ton of money through Downloads? From what we've heard, it sounds like its barely worth it for them to run the server.

05-28-2009 12:27 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
quote:

at the time i had the discussion, he claimed to be making quite a bit. in the $10k per year range.

That would be a problem. If it cost you $10k to buy the digital distribution rights, you don't want to spend a year trying to make your money back. (..and I assume that amount is total digital sales, not per title). If you already own it, its just extra money.. but a band like DA doesn't own much of their own catalog.

If we pay that same amount and release a CD, we could make that in a week. Not every title sells that fast, but some do. I believe Arena Rock made their money back on Darn Floor pretty quickly for example. We paid our portion of it from the small number of pre sales we took before it was even released. The hardest part about reissues is having to pay for the rights up front... of course, if you do preorders, it makes it easier to pay the licensing up front - but we all know everyone hates preorders.

05-28-2009 12:35 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

i never said they were getting rich. i just said they are a perfect example of a band finding a way to make their music available. which should be the goal of having a band..... the music being available. and at least they make a little bit on it.

if a label wants $25k, terry should do what folks like steve taylor has done, and just tell the fans to go download it somewhere..... that ridiculous.

third day has said the same thing about their early stuff.

05-28-2009 12:36 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

quote:
quote:
quote:

That would be a problem. If it cost you $10k to buy the digital distribution rights, you don't want to spend a year trying to make your money back. (..and I assume that amount is total digital sales, not per title). If you already own it, its just extra money.. but a band like DA doesn't own much of their own catalog.

If we pay that same amount and release a CD, we could make that in a week. Not every title sells that fast, but some do. I believe Arena Rock made their money back on Darn Floor pretty quickly for example. The hardest part about reissues is having to pay for the rights up front... of course, if you do preorders, it makes it easier to pay the licensing up front - but we all know everyone hates preorders.

which releases have sold 600 copies the first week? at $15, that's how many you'd need to sell.

why not get them to license it, so they get part of the money from the downloads, and terry gets some. at least then you'd both be making SOMETHING, as opposed to now, when neither are making anything.

again... i wouldn't pay $10k for the rights to much of anything. i'd tell people to find somewhere to download it for free, just to stick it to that label.

05-28-2009 12:39 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

pritzl's 10k number was total, not per album.

05-28-2009 12:40 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:

which releases have sold 600 copies the first week? at $15, that's how many you'd need to sell.

Right. I think we've come close to 500 in a day before with certain titles.

05-28-2009 12:41 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:

why not get them to license it, so they get part of the money from the downloads, and terry gets some. at least then you'd both be making SOMETHING, as opposed to now, when neither are making anything.

I'm not sure what this means. You think no one is trying to get things licensed and rereleased? By "Them" do you mean Arena Rock? There is a chance that they will do at least one other title but we can't make them do any more than they want to do. Its hard to just "get someone" to license something.

In the last ten years, there has been a constant struggle to get as much reissued as possible. If its not available, its because it just can't be done at the moment. Things are always fluid though... you never know what each day will bring. Even on the 77s side, I've personally been pushing to get some of their early stuff reissued for years.. others have been as well.

05-28-2009 12:46 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

terry DOES own the rights to some stuff..... so why not try it with some of those titles?

investment = zero.

return = pure profit.

05-28-2009 12:46 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

quote:
quote:

I'm not sure what this means. You think no one is trying to get things licensed and rereleased? By "Them" do you mean Arena Rock? There is a chance that they will do at least one other title. We can't make them do any more than they want to do. Its hard to just "get someone" to license something.

In the last ten years, there has been a constant struggle to get as much reissued as possible. If its not available, its because it just can't be done at the moment. Things are always fluid though... you never know what each day will bring.

what i'm saying is, work out a deal, where you release it digitally (NO capital investment, by the way, since their is no product to produce) and then the label gets a %, and terry gets a %.......

it's a win/win....pure profit to everyone.

05-28-2009 12:47 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Pages (8): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Would CDs on demand ever be considered?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH