Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » DA - Darn Floor Big Bite 20th Anniversary » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 5 6 [7] 8 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DA - Darn Floor Big Bite 20th Anniversary 3 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Thumb Down! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan

Questionable:
haven't listened to fully yet (didn't give it immediate, full attention)

then don't give your damb review yet! Roll Eyes

Cool
01-29-2010 09:22 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan

Questionable:
haven't listened to fully yet (didn't give it immediate, full attention)

then don't give your damb review yet! Roll Eyes

to be more specific:

i listened to Disc 1 pretty good so i felt OK reviewing.

Disc 2 was on while doing other stuff; maybe cooking supper and/or going up and downstairs?

still haven't listened to Disc 2 w/ headphones like I should.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
01-29-2010 14:08 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Wink Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

fair enough...

Cool
01-29-2010 14:10 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

ok so I got my copy some time ago, For me to review I had to compare this one to the original one. A friend got me a copy so now Im able to review it.

First of all nice work with the design and idea. The booklet is very nice!!!! Dont have the original so I cant compare them but i guess that this one is superior in printing quality and extra information.

Wow, the deluxe edition not only sounds louder but the sound is richer and clearer. Its like the old one needed the dolby c applied and more treble and bass. Now everything is more noticeable. Very nice job with remaster, it would even sound as a different and better master was use for this one.

The bonus disc is a great addition with the videos, and the rare stuff. The sound is also good for the exception of the live song which is pretty understandable. I was very happy to see different versions of my 2 most favorites unattainable and pictures... The bonus disc really makes a big difference!!! and the price, it is a gift!!

I hope that we can get the HD bonus disc with rare extras and videos some time.

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
03-21-2010 19:54 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

It arrived!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Finally, on 25th March I got my copy ordered in early December! Bless the USPS First Class Parcel system....imagine if it went second class?

I have drooled over the packaging and liner notes. I await the upcoming treat of putting it in the stereo and actually listening. I have the original on CD, so it will be interesting to hear the sonic differences.

I'll keep you posted.

I'm happy to pay extra postage for International Airmail in future, though.

www.smashthatcomputer.com
03-24-2010 23:16 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

It should be noted that this was a newly reshipped copy... not that the original took that long. The original is still MIA... and of course, part of the delay of the new reshipment was the death of the grandfather of our supplier. Our grandmother passed away around the same time so I know how that can really derail things when you're just one of a couple of people running a business. You remove those factors and it wouldn't have taken very long at all.

.. or, did you finally receive the original?

The USPS actually doesn't give us the option of air mail anymore. Thats what we used to use exclusively. Its all called International First Class now. They adjusted all of the prices not long ago and changed the name.... we used to have to stamp everything "air mail" and they told us we don't have to do that anymore. Theres just one option unless we bump it up to Fed Ex International or something really expensive like that.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-25-2010 00:19 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
mattdafan
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 03-25-2010

Thumb Up! RE: DA - Darn Floor Big Bite 20th Anniversary Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

FOR ONLY BECOMING A FAN RECENTLY, DUE TO THE FACT ID NEVER EVEN HEARD OF DA TILL LOOKING ON A CHRISTIAN MUSIC PAGE AND HEARD THEIR SONG REAL GIRLS. THAT GOT ME OFF TO A GOOD START IN LOVING THIS BAND. THEN I HAD THE CHANCE TO GRAB DARN FLOOR BIG BITE IN THE NEW 2 DISC EDITION. AND I DIDNT KNOW JUST HOW GREAT THIS BAND WAS TILL THEN. THIS ALBUM IS REALLY A MARVEL. A TREASURE OF DEEP PIERCING SOUL SEARCHING AND BARE CHESTED HONESTY THAT IS SORELY HARD TO FIND THESE DAYS. I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT MY FAVOURITES ARE THE EARTH HOUSEHOLD AND THE SHAPE OF AIR. BUT BOY, THE WHOLE ALBUM SHINES INTEGRITY AND BRILLIANCE AND IM GLAD IVE STARTED TO GET INTO THIS GROUP. A THOROUGH RUSH OF FRESH AIR. WOW, TEZ TAYLOR IS DA MAN WITH THE BURNING LYRICS. LONG MAY HE CONTINUE. I LOVE THE DIFFERENT STYLES THAT SHINE FROM THIS ALBUM. THIS IS ROCK WITH A DIFFERENCE.
03-25-2010 09:41 mattdafan is offline Search for Posts by mattdafan Add mattdafan to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Welcome to the DAMB, Matt!

I found DA by "accident" with a whim purchase of the Preachers From Outer Space live CD about 10 years ago. I pushed play... the first song, Shotgun Angel, was ok, the next three we unabashed country (I don't care for country music) and I would have turned off the CD at that point... except I was in the middle of something and couldn't get to the CD player. However, the next song, Hound of Heaven, began to play and I was hooked. I've been hooked ever since.

My favorite DA album is Darn Floor - Big Bite. After that it would be Doppelganger, Alarma, Songs of the Heart and Mr. Buechner's Dream (in that order).

Albums I used to have (but are missing/stolen): Shotgun Angel (I still have side "B", though, ripped to my computer) and Fearful Symmetry.

Albums that I don't (and have never) own(ed): Self-titled debut and Kalhoun (and a couple of the rare odds and ends). My copy of Motor Cycle is a poor copy from a cassette that someone made, and I hope to upgrade this soon.

And then there's the Swirling Eddies, The Lost Dogs, solo albums, etc, etc, etc....

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ritchie_az: 03-25-2010 11:18.

03-25-2010 11:17 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Matt, welcome to the baord, amazingly Darn Floor was hugely overlooked in 1987 when it came out.

03-25-2010 12:19 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Hey,Matt!
Darn floor was my first DA album twenty-something years ago.
So it's very special to me too.

03-25-2010 16:39 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
Hey,Matt!
Darn floor was my first DA album twenty-something years ago.
So it's very special to me too.

when darn floor came out i couldnt even mention a christian band (didnt know one lol) Big Grin , for me everything was the beatles, led zeppelin and pink floyd.

Anyways the record that got me into DA was motorcycle (not my best) but it is the greatest as it was the one that open my eyes. It did the job!!!!!!

Im very happy with my darn floor copy. I ripped it to my ipod and wow it does sound good compare to the original in my car. I had only compared them in my computer.

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
03-25-2010 23:39 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
UnderDawg UnderDawg is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-624.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

You know, Motorcycle is STILL my favorite DA album. I know everyone says that Darn Floor is their best, but I just love the arrangements on Motor. For the same reason, I think Mister Buechener's Dream is a classic. The depth of the songs amazes me. So many layers of beautiful sound...

Ain't it great that this band can be so...different?
03-26-2010 09:10 UnderDawg is offline Search for Posts by UnderDawg Add UnderDawg to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

Thanks Audioris for all your efforts! I am just happy to get the cd's. I didn't check to see the shipping date on the package. If I still have it I will have a look.

If another copy arrives I will give it to someone who will appreciate it, or send it back if you wish. I want to keep supporting the band and you guys in whatever way possible because of releases like this - it's great.

www.smashthatcomputer.com
03-27-2010 01:28 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by UnderDawg

Exactly! After they went from Darn Floor, to Kalhoun, to MotorCycle to BibleLand in 4 easy moves!
And a mere ten yearsa before Darn Floor they made Shotgun Angel.

Shocked

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-27-2010 02:15.

03-27-2010 02:15 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by UnderDawg
You know, Motorcycle is STILL my favorite DA album. I know everyone says that Darn Floor is their best, but I just love the arrangements on Motor. For the same reason, I think Mister Buechener's Dream is a classic. The depth of the songs amazes me. So many layers of beautiful sound...

yep, not that I like it very much so much change but here its for the best Smile

03-27-2010 14:12 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

I was browsing through this topic today (did this really all happen 9 years ago?!?! Shocked ), and got to reminiscing about DFBB and how much I loved it when it was released in 1987. One aspect of it that kept drawing me back time and again, but which doesn't really get a lot of comment, was the musical humor. Certainly, DA had indulged in manic high-concept wackiness on prior releases ('Autographs for the Sick' or 'Dance Stop!'), but there is nothing on DFBB which derives its humor primarily from anything lyrical or conceptual. Nevertheless, there are a whole lot of jokes on the record, in the musical arrangements and production touches.

David Edwards once made a comment in the liner notes to one of his albums about "how to tell a joke with a saxophone." There's a lot of that spirit deep in the grooves of DFBB. It offsets the seriousness of the lyrics nicely, I think. Cool

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there. Carry on.
06-19-2017 01:03 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Well put. I was just listening this week and thinking of that juxtaposition but not as clearly as you did.

06-19-2017 11:23 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
I was browsing through this topic today (did this really all happen 9 years ago?!?! Shocked ), and got to reminiscing about DFBB and how much I loved it when it was released in 1987. One aspect of it that kept drawing me back time and again, but which doesn't really get a lot of comment, was the musical humor. Certainly, DA had indulged in manic high-concept wackiness on prior releases ('Autographs for the Sick' or 'Dance Stop!'), but there is nothing on DFBB which derives its humor primarily from anything lyrical or conceptual. Nevertheless, there are a whole lot of jokes on the record, in the musical arrangements and production touches.

David Edwards once made a comment in the liner notes to one of his albums about "how to tell a joke with a saxophone." There's a lot of that spirit deep in the grooves of DFBB. It offsets the seriousness of the lyrics nicely, I think. Cool

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there. Carry on.

besides having a chronic case of atrophic-dimwittedness (ADWD), my sense of humor is all in my mouth... ok, that did not come out right, anyway what sort of humourous episodes do you find there? i look to learn me something.

Psalm 119:83
06-19-2017 14:54 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

I think one of the most obvious musical jokes on DFBB is "Safety Net". Trying to deal with the weird timing on that one makes it sound like a band would need one.
05-16-2023 19:50 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

great post Waka! Miss you.
05-27-2023 10:05 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 5 6 [7] 8 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » DA - Darn Floor Big Bite 20th Anniversary

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH